Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the poorest thing you've ever done?

Old 06-05-2019, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What's the poorest thing you've ever done?

Originally Posted by .Grimace View Post
Do you guys have the McDonald’s with two lines to order that merge to one to pay/ pickup food?

I found out if you got in line, at the order spot said “oh we changed our minds” then just roll past the pay window saying we wanted tacos instead. Get to food window and take whatever bag they’d give you and drive off. Worked like a charm always.
Haven’t tried that because they frown upon taking a skateboard in the drive thru. I did try to take one of those orange and yellow kiddie cars through the drive thru. Got stuck in it cause my head is fat
Old 06-05-2019, 06:09 AM
been there done that

Wearing the same pair of socks for weeks at a time

Was actually a result of poor planning on my part but eh, whatevs
Old 06-05-2019, 06:37 AM
Grandpa

I was in the wrong place at the wrong time in 1963 and had to flee a country, as a child. Same thing happened in 1968. As a kid, it makes you kind of paranoid. Had no resources whatsoever, and I can remember a dinner that consisted entirely of bread and wine, and another dinner at some point in there that consisted of popcorn.

And the kind of field rations that were provided in 1982 were absolutely quite...poor. :-)
Old 06-05-2019, 06:44 AM
Risky Business

JB qwik'd a garden hose fitting onto a jc whitney charge pipe as a BOV flange.

Old 06-05-2019, 06:47 AM
Oracle of GDD

Washing Ziploc bags
Old 06-05-2019, 06:50 AM
footwork mastery

Originally Posted by Ross View Post
Washing Ziploc bags
Thats just environmentally sound.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I tried to tie a fishing line around dollar bills to get free things from vending machines. It swallowed the entire damn thing. Sometimes I sucked at being poor.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

1) In college, ran out of money for tuition and had about 6 months left, so I put the tuition payments on a credit card.
2) First job out of college, drowning in debt, got laid off after 2.5 years. Job market was not good so I had to sell all the furniture in my apartment to pay the rent. Slept on a mattress on the floor.
3) Around this same time, I remember only having enough money for either food or cigs one week. I went with cigs
4) Took a job at an AT&T store because no one was hiring for IT. Apparently it was a union job, which actually turned out really well. Ended up making like 45k even though I SUCKED at selling cell phones and u-verse plans.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:36 AM
I like to party

lol what a bunch of broke bitches

Sometimes I order a water and fill it up with soda.

That's about as poor as I get.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Some of these are downright hilarious, especially the dollar bill fishing line trick. I see many of us have spent time in poverty.
Also, stealing silverware from college isnt "poor", its just standard procedure 😉
Old 06-05-2019, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

literally anything with my old EG coupe.... Skunk 2 springs, cut springs, bake headlights, spray paint rims, take ac out for moarrr power, (lol) custom intake,

Also using a water cup/courtesy cup to fill up drinks at any fast food place,

If anyone has ever made lemonade at a restaurant by asking more lemon water and sugar, see you in hell.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by vLad11591 View Post
literally anything with my old EG coupe.... Skunk 2 springs, cut springs, bake headlights, spray paint rims, take ac out for moarrr power, (lol) custom intake,

Also using a water cup/courtesy cup to fill up drinks at any fast food place,

If anyone has ever made lemonade at a restaurant by asking more lemon water and sugar, see you in hell.
Lemonade Crew checking in!
Old 06-05-2019, 07:53 AM
washuuu

Acted on medical advice I got from GDD.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I blamed the state for my living conditions

oh wait...
Old 06-05-2019, 08:04 AM
Prairie Dog Breeder

• I used to collect change in the college student union building to buy popcorn.
  • I used to buy a 5lb bag of potatoes to add into canned soup for extra filling/calories in grad school
  • In high school I would buy bread from the discount rack at the bakery for lunch
  • I purchased 4 (almost new tires) from craigslist for $100 because I didn't feel like dropping $1k on brand new ones
Stuff like that I suppose.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:05 AM
Will you make something up for me please?

Off the top of my head...
  • Put in the amount of gas according to the change I had on me. If I had $1.25, that's how much gas I'd put in. Of course gas back then was maybe 90 cents to a dollar per gallon.
  • Can't afford to fix brakes so drove my Civic to the point where the front pads were so thin they literally fell out as I backed out of a parking spot. I was 50 miles from home at my gf's house so I just drove home at like 3am so there was basically no traffic and used my e-brake to slow down when I needed to. Front brakes worked to an extent, but didn't really stop me well.
Things I still do...
  • I'll grab extra napkins (not a ton, but maybe like 10 extra) when eating at a restaurant/fast food place and bring them home so I don't have to buy napkins. Based on my "research", most Asian people do this lols. I haven't actually bought napkins ever in my life. In fact, my work drawer has multiple stacks of napkins when vendors come and bring food. I snag the napkins so I can take them home at some point. Sometimes I even stock up for my mom so she doesn't have to buy any.
  • I hardly use ziplock bags and paper towels. Something I got from my mom I guess. She would reuse zip locks as many times as she could unless they got really dirty/oily where you couldn't wash them. My wife is obviously normal and buys zip lock bags all the time from Costco. When she tosses them, I twitch a little lols.
  • Same thing with paper towels. My mom would have a single roll of paper towels last 5+ years to the point where it was yellowing in color. I've gotten better but I still use them sparingly. I bought a pack from Costco maybe 6 years ago and still have maybe 4 rolls left AFTER I gave some to my mom. She is still on her first roll and it isn't even half done after 6 years.
I'm sure there's more, but not sure if that counts as "being poor". Does picking up coins off the ground mean you're poor? I don't think so.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

And that’s how you get a Porsche
Old 06-05-2019, 08:19 AM
GLD's Expert

My wife does this. I used to tell her to stop but now I do it too. I also take ketchup and other condiments home. I don't think we ever buy condiments except for parties now.
Originally Posted by shamoo View Post
  • I'll grab extra napkins (not a ton, but maybe like 10 extra) when eating at a restaurant/fast food place and bring them home so I don't have to buy napkins. Based on my "research", most Asian people do this lols. I haven't actually bought napkins ever in my life. In fact, my work drawer has multiple stacks of napkins when vendors come and bring food. I snag the napkins so I can take them home at some point. Sometimes I even stock up for my mom so she doesn't have to buy any.
This sounds like a good idea. I might try it.
Originally Posted by 93Accord117 View Post
  • I used to buy a 5lb bag of potatoes to add into canned soup for extra filling/calories in grad school
Old 06-05-2019, 08:27 AM
footwork mastery

Originally Posted by mistersparco View Post
Acted on medical advice I got from GDD.
winner
Old 06-05-2019, 08:41 AM
something gnarly

also painted my prelude with a roller and house paint

Old 06-05-2019, 08:47 AM
Head Of Bespoke

In college i lived with some poor fools in a house and we ran out of heating oil one winter and none of us could afford to refuel the thing. We just wore coats all winter inside and burned a lot of wood in the fireplace. Our beer budget was far more important than heat.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:04 AM
footwork mastery

Originally Posted by Rguy View Post
In college i lived with some poor fools in a house and we ran out of heating oil one winter and none of us could afford to refuel the thing. We just wore coats all winter inside and burned a lot of wood in the fireplace. Our beer budget was far more important than heat.
This explains so much about Naturdays
Old 06-05-2019, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Gold Member

Bought a set of carbon wheels from China for my bike. Bro was laughing at me. He rode my bike. Now he’s thinking of buying an entire Chinese bike. Who’s broke now????
Old 06-05-2019, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JDMdoode View Post
And that’s how you get a Porsche
lol, true story....
Old 06-05-2019, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by shamoo View Post
Off the top of my head...
  • Put in the amount of gas according to the change I had on me. If I had $1.25, that's how much gas I'd put in. Of course gas back then was maybe 90 cents to a dollar per gallon..
Those were the days..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.