Go Back  Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion > Community Forums > General Discussion and Debate
Reload this Page >

What service do you pay for (Home, Auto, Etc) that GDD would laugh at?

Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What service do you pay for (Home, Auto, Etc) that GDD would laugh at?

Old 03-15-2019, 08:56 AM
Risky Business

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: What service do you pay for (Home, Auto, Etc) that GDD would laugh at?

Originally Posted by Mattb16teg View Post
Just because you have the money, doesn't necessarily mean you can't try to do the things on your own, to learn. I feel like if you own a home or property you need to know the basics on how to maintain and fix the home.
How many people buy $50,000+ cars and know absolutely nothing about how they work or how to fix them? You think they give a ****? They make so much money that they just pay someone to fix it. House is the same way.

Originally Posted by Mattb16teg View Post
Like yard work and other things, have the kids running around outside and being with you, it's still family fun time.
When a child is old enough, they should be out in the garage with you "helping" and teaching them.

I dunno, I guess I just don't get it and don't really respect people who don't at least try something first.
Originally Posted by BauleyCivic View Post
You really haven't spent any time around young kids, have you?
I really hate to be a dick, but your posting about people with kids reeks of someone who thinks they have a general idea of what having kids is like without having a lick of real world experience to back it up. I used to be like that.

I used to be that guy who was like "why does someone need an SUV with one kid?" Blue used to do it all the time and I would chew his *** out for it, he's thankfully dialed it back.

Unless you actually have young kids or spend extensive time around someone with them it is hard to grasp just how impossible it is to get anything done while having to supervise them at the same time.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What service do you pay for (Home, Auto, Etc) that GDD would laugh at?

I probably don't know the day to day with kids, that's not anything you're being a dick about.
I spent a lot of time around kids as there are tons in my wife's family and my closest friends have them too.
I see all types of parenting types, which is very beneficial to my future child rearing.

Hell, we have NO kids and the wife has an SUV, so I totally get it, it's either a truck or SUV and I don't want either, so SUV makes sense for the wife to rock.

I always chuckle when people with kids use your last sentence on those of us without, trust me I can, which is why we don't have kids yet but there are many different parenting styles, I've seen some be successful with it and others not. Guess it depends on the child and the parents anxiety levels.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:03 AM
Risky Business

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My anxiety is through the roof so that probably skews my posts a certain way
Old 03-15-2019, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

How many people buy $50,000+ cars and know absolutely nothing about how they work or how to fix them? You think they give a ****? They make so much money that they just pay someone to fix it. House is the same way.
You're right, I guess I just don't get it.

I think it's a pride thing for me, like look what I got and I can take care of it.

I grew up poor and never had a whole lot, so anything I got, I made sure to treat well and take care of, along the way, cars, homes, etc, it didn't change.

When we moved into our townhouse, the Wife made fun of me because I was so impressed with having an ice maker/water dispenser in the fridge...
Old 03-15-2019, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My anxiety is through the roof so that probably skews my posts a certain way
With 2 little ones, I can only imagine what's going on in your head everyday.

I think part of us not having kids is my wife is the oldest and basically helped raise her other 3 sisters and basically was there for all of her 14 or so cousins too.
That's a lot of damn kids to see and be a part of raising!!
Old 03-15-2019, 09:08 AM
Loves Tossing Salad

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If aesthetics are a concern, I outsource.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:11 AM
Video Game Collector

Kids or no kids, I'm not the type to do my own handyman work. Why would I struggle through that and do an inferior job to just paying someone and saving all of the stress and hassle? Especially when you have friends in trades who do side jobs. I'm glad to give a friend some extra money so he can boost his income and he's glad to do his work so I can chill and not deal with any stress or having a half-assed job.

The "well you need to try things first" mentality may work when you're younger and still figuring out your life but at some point you are what you are. I know my patience and stress tolerance and know my skill set. I'll take on something small and easy and gladly pay people to do the rest.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The only things I outsource are things I dont have the tools to do and/or buying the tool is cost prohibitive. I can more or less manage everything given an internet connection or a phone call to my trade buddies.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:50 AM
Do it right the first second time!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

buuuuut I'll make ~$90k after I sell this house, but only because I did all of the work there myself.

explain that smarty pants
Old 03-15-2019, 03:12 PM
something gnarly

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

nobody said cleaning service
Old 03-15-2019, 03:23 PM
B20 Bhai M.B.B.S

Originally Posted by CX-Adam View Post
I don't repair my bikes.
I pay my local bike shop to change out my flats

Iíve also never done an oil change on a daily myself
Old 03-15-2019, 03:25 PM
Prairie Dog Breeder

No way in hell I would change my own oil...that's just not going to happen. I use these dank vaporware things called coupons which give me reason enough to not contend with used oil/dirty hands/physical labor.
Old 03-15-2019, 04:19 PM
I like to party

I pay $10 a month for the Doordash Dashpass

I think I get my money's worth tho.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:14 PM
eight equals equals equals D

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

I still DIY just about everything. I can't think of any scheduled service I pay someone else to do. Over the years, I've softened up on certain car work but I'll still do most of it myself. I'm kinda done with wheel bearings though so I'll hire that out and throw in whatever maintenance might need to be done at the time. Last year I considered having a shop replace my radiator and broken WP belt, but they quoted me almost $1500. I said nah and did it myself. of course then I realized why it was so much - had to take damn near the whole front of the car off to get the rad out. I don't think I've ever paid someone to do an oil change. Doesn't really save me any time since the time spent driving to a place and waiting, I could have done it myself. I remember when my wife got her CX-5 from the dealer, we had to sit through the spiel at the financing dept with all the extras they provided and I said no to everything, and the lady was like - can I ask you something, most ppl at least are curious about the offers we have and you're the first person I've ever had in here that said no to everything...

For house stuff, I'll hire out major stuff. I have and I absolutely agree that there is a opportunity cost lost by DIYing certain things, but I look at it from an investor perspective. Time spent working on a house, is time you're not spending doing other things, so in that regard, I will gladly pay other ppl for house renovation work.

/kinda lit right now
Old 03-15-2019, 09:03 PM
Do it right the first second time!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone do Shipt or a similar service? $99/year flyover state pricing some idiot in a green shirt does all your grocery shopping for you and then delivers it to you.

I'd pay $99 just to go to a store not jam packed with these savages anyways so it's a win win
Old 03-15-2019, 09:12 PM
#stillneedsadiaper

Afwife is a great cook. Like srs. But she pays for hellowfresh like 3 meals every 2 weeks
Old 03-16-2019, 06:17 AM
CD8
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chief Brody View Post
Anyone do Shipt or a similar service? $99/year flyover state pricing some idiot in a green shirt does all your grocery shopping for you and then delivers it to you.

I'd pay $99 just to go to a store not jam packed with these savages anyways so it's a win win
the store i shop at weekly (frys, owned by kroger) has a service where you make a list, they pick it out, and you pick it up. Havent tried, i like grocery shopping. The amount of presumably MILFs walking around is more than any where else i go these days.
Old 03-16-2019, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Tax preparations
Old 03-16-2019, 08:17 AM
eight equals equals equals D

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Skelly View Post
Tax preparations
also this.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think most of us may have this but I have a gardener that comes weekly, an electrician that does my lighting (mostly exterior light services, repairs and installation) and a house cleaner once a month for deep cleaning.
Old 03-18-2019, 04:38 AM
Loves Tossing Salad

Originally Posted by Chief Brody View Post

Lollin, you think they shop in the green shirts?
Old 03-18-2019, 05:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh yea, I def pay an accountant to do my taxes, he finds things I am not educated enough to know about. Def offsets his fee each year too, so it's like a wash.
Old 03-18-2019, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by kidcool1977 View Post
I know it feels great and all, but it's probably best if you did the opposite. It's good for your mental and physical well being.
That is a true statement, but for now, I'm sticking to the excuse that I'm so burnt out from life that I just want to sit and watch TV.

Old 03-18-2019, 09:14 AM
put title here

Originally Posted by 09chaplak View Post
Lollin, you think they shop in the green shirts?
They do. I see them at the grocery store by me cause I'm poor and do my own shopping.