Go Back  Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion > Community Forums > General Discussion and Debate
Reload this Page >

What service do you pay for (Home, Auto, Etc) that GDD would laugh at?

Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What service do you pay for (Home, Auto, Etc) that GDD would laugh at?

Old 03-15-2019, 05:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What service do you pay for (Home, Auto, Etc) that GDD would laugh at?

yea but those services are tough to do yourself too, so I can see it.

I think I'd pay someone to tape and finish the basement once I get it done, I suck at finishing(Hue Hue) and despise it!
Old 03-15-2019, 05:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What service do you pay for (Home, Auto, Etc) that GDD would laugh at?

Aside from changing a light bulb or air filter, I don't do any work on my cars anymore. Would rather spend time with my family
Old 03-15-2019, 05:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^ But couldn't you still do work on the car(s) and have your kids watch or help out too?
Old 03-15-2019, 05:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Actually, we paid for carpeting at the townhouse
After the water issues, we had it covered by the neighbors insurance, so it was a no brainer to not have to do this.
Old 03-15-2019, 05:16 AM
something gnarly

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattb16teg View Post
yea but those services are tough to do yourself too, so I can see it.

I think I'd pay someone to tape and finish the basement once I get it done, I suck at finishing(Hue Hue) and despise it!
just hurt that they were only there for 20 minutes, filled my crack, took my $600, and left. couldn't even just stick around to chat for a little bit.
Old 03-15-2019, 05:25 AM
Drunk Wagon Pilot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depending on the severity of the job I'll still work on my own cars. Brakes, fluids, filters, etc. no sweat.

Gotta do a wheel bearing? lmao nope mechanic can deal with that mess
Old 03-15-2019, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Honestly nothing out of the norm. I hate wasting money but I refuse to work on my daily driver (well I did do the front brakes but only because Lexus quoted me at $1800). Other than that I've paid for a couple websites to be built. I know I could have handled it myself but it wasn't worth my time.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:32 AM
Risky Business

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by The GreenD16 View Post
When I had them done, I didn't have a lot of free time, and just wanted them done.

Time is valuable too. Sometimes you just want **** done and not have a small project take 9 months because life gets in the way (@ literally everyone in the Home Improvement thread).
I guess I have tons of time, so I never really worry about those things, even with kids, I think the wife would still want me to keep these things going too.
This should be the main focus of this thread. How much free time do you have, and how much is your time worth? Typically the more free time you have the less it's worth so it's easier to make these kinds of decisions.

Yeah, you could say someone is stupid for paying to have their shutters painted. What if they are a doctor making $300k a year and have 30 minutes of free time a day...why would you waste what little free time you have doing something that you're inexperienced in when you could easily pay a professional to do it for a nominal amount?
Old 03-15-2019, 06:33 AM
Risky Business

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

^ But couldn't you still do work on the car(s) and have your kids watch or help out too?
You really haven't spent any time around young kids, have you?
Old 03-15-2019, 06:36 AM
something gnarly

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

enjoy raising future alcoholics
Old 03-15-2019, 06:37 AM
Drunk Wagon Pilot

someone get CPS on the phone right meow
Old 03-15-2019, 06:38 AM
CD8
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Had a pinhole leak in copper pipe inside wall. I was able to find it but dont know about welding copper or have the tools so had a friend take care of it.

back when i still had a home warranty, had the garbage disposal replaced, it was $60 fee. The cheapest disposals at HD were around the same price so it felt logical to use the warranty, same cost and no labor for me.

i pay for motortrend on demand, 5 bucks a month :-(
Old 03-15-2019, 06:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BauleyCivic View Post
This should be the main focus of this thread. How much free time do you have, and how much is your time worth? Typically the more free time you have the less it's worth so it's easier to make these kinds of decisions.

Yeah, you could say someone is stupid for paying to have their shutters painted. What if they are a doctor making $300k a year and have 30 minutes of free time a day...why would you waste what little free time you have doing something that you're inexperienced in when you could easily pay a professional to do it for a nominal amount?
I agree and I have set an hourly rate for what I feel my time is worth. However it also should take into consideration what you spend your free time on. Most people don't do jack **** in their free time so saving money should, in theory, supersede watching the Bachelor or whatever nonsense they would usually be doing.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:46 AM
Do it right the first second time!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I work from home in sales and have no kids

I'm going to put together a mini bike today that's how much free time I have

Old 03-15-2019, 06:59 AM
Video Game Collector

I'm not handy, I pay for someone to do pretty much everything technical or mechanical. Or my wife does it, she's the handy one. Built shelves for the kids books, helping her dad build a loft for his barn, etc. I make enough to pay people to do things I don't want to do.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:04 AM
Prairie Dog Breeder

I have $30 internet that is like 5mb or some **** like that. I have no streaming services so it's literally useless for anything beyond youtube.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Anything to do with lawn care/maintenance, I outsource.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nah too young. She can help occasionally with yard/gardening stuff though
Old 03-15-2019, 07:18 AM
at the jetties fishin'

Originally Posted by Chief Brody View Post
I work from home in sales and have no kids

I'm going to put together a mini bike today that's how much free time I have

**** off haha. So jelly.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:30 AM
SHAME ON YOU REBECCA!

Originally Posted by The GreenD16 View Post
I got roasted in the home improvement thread for paying for someone to do blinds. 10/10 would do again. Worth every penny (and it wasn't even that much).
you deserve it. Why the **** would you?

I'm cheap, so no I ain't paying ****,

Old 03-15-2019, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Slow*Jim View Post
Aside from changing a light bulb or air filter, I don't do any work on my cars anymore. Would rather spend time with my family
We go through the cycle.

When you are young, you did everything. Then as you got older, you have the kids do it. Last weekend, all 3 of my sons rotated the tires on my car. They started to do laundry, dishwasher, clean the bathrooms, vacuum, etc.

I'm doing less at my old age. I look forward to the day where I do nothing and be able to watch TV or play Madden 98 again.

Old 03-15-2019, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

sometimes I get stumped on a car issue, no choice but to take it to toyota. Not too familiar with them.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:13 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Gutter cleaning. **** that. I'm not going to risk my health or life to remove that **** that has accumulated in there. 2-story house problems...
Old 03-15-2019, 08:25 AM
SHAME ON YOU REBECCA!

Originally Posted by GoLowDrew View Post
We go through the cycle.

When you are young, you did everything. Then as you got older, you have the kids do it. Last weekend, all 3 of my sons rotated the tires on my car. They started to do laundry, dishwasher, clean the bathrooms, vacuum, etc.

I'm doing less at my old age. I look forward to the day where I do nothing and be able to watch TV or play Madden 98 again.
I know it feels great and all, but it's probably best if you did the opposite. It's good for your mental and physical well being.

Old 03-15-2019, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That's a good idea and comparison too.

I guess it all depends on the person, I like to learn new things and try them out to see how good I am at it, if that makes sense.
Just because you have the money, doesn't necessarily mean you can't try to do the things on your own, to learn. I feel like if you own a home or property you need to know the basics on how to maintain and fix the home.

You really haven't spent any time around young kids, have you?
I guess I should have clarified that a bit better.
Like yard work and other things, have the kids running around outside and being with you, it's still family fun time.
When a child is old enough, they should be out in the garage with you "helping" and teaching them.

I dunno, I guess I just don't get it and don't really respect people who don't at least try something first.

Originally Posted by 5SpdH22 View Post
enjoy raising future alcoholics
and with a bad vocab too

Originally Posted by GoLowDrew View Post
We go through the cycle.

That is awesome in home training/education right there.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What service do you pay for (Home, Auto, Etc) that GDD would laugh at?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.