What makes America so great? - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.

What makes America so great?

Old 07-16-2017, 07:21 PM   #1
Honda-Tech Member

Default What makes America so great?

Just wondering why?

Compared to Canada and European countries such as England, Italy, Spain, Germany, etc. or even Australia.

Why do people want to migrate here? Is it because other countries have more strict immigration laws? Language is hard to learn? Is our health care extraordinary? We have things other countries that don't have like AT&T and McDonald's? Am I missing something? For those that lived outside of the USA, how would rate your stay out of here.

I lived in the US my whole life, and in California. I just want to know why people risk and turn everything upside to come and live here.
DC5_lov3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 07:24 PM   #2
rookn00b

Default Re: What makes America so great?

Having lived in SoCal since the mid 70s, it's the 3 Ws.

Weather

Women

Weed

I don't smoke anymore doe.
xtrac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 07:29 PM   #3
I ask Twitter, not xtrac1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC5_lov3r View Post
Just wondering why?

Compared to Canada and European countries such as England, Italy, Spain, Germany, etc. or even Australia.

Why do people want to migrate here? Is it because other countries have more strict immigration laws? Language is hard to learn? Is our health care extraordinary? We have things other countries that don't have like AT&T and McDonald's? Am I missing something? For those that lived outside of the USA, how would rate your stay out of here.

I lived in the US my whole life, and in California. I just want to know why people risk and turn everything upside to come and live here.
This is sad
rico91stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 07:36 PM   #4
Prairie Dog Breeder

Ever since Trump was elected, I can't really name any redeeming qualities about this country anymore. We are a ******* joke on the world stage and have scrapped any leadership or accolades we used to have. Our country ******* sucks and is too lazy to deal with climate change, our education system is underfunded and falling apart, we have the highest prison population, we have an exceptionally inefficient healthcare system based completely on profits, we have **** internet controlled by monopolies, our working hours are elevated compared to most other western countries, there exists no maternity care, politics have devolved to tribalism, the gap between the rich and the poor is among the worst it's ever been, etc. At this point, I would define this country as a third world, but with a lot of rich people in it. Plus, the insane amount of corruption, voter suppression, and shady bullshit makes me continually embarrassed to be a citizen or live here. So to answer your questions - hardly anything, except for good microbrews, pretty scenery, and inexpensive commodities.
93Accord117 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 07:42 PM   #5
Bloody Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Accord117 View Post
Ever since Trump was elected, I can't really name any redeeming qualities about this country anymore. We are a ******* joke on the world stage and have scrapped any leadership or accolades we used to have. Our country ******* sucks and is too lazy to deal with climate change, our education system is underfunded and falling apart, we have the highest prison population, we have an exceptionally inefficient healthcare system based completely on profits, we have **** internet controlled by monopolies, our working hours are elevated compared to most other western countries, there exists no maternity care, politics have devolved to tribalism, the gap between the rich and the poor is among the worst it's ever been, etc. At this point, I would define this country as a third world, but with a lot of rich people in it. Plus, the insane amount of corruption, voter suppression, and shady bullshit makes me continually embarrassed to be a citizen or live here. So to answer your questions - hardly anything, except for good microbrews, pretty scenery, and inexpensive commodities.
basically this.
.Beaver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 07:50 PM   #6
Paragraph Alert

1. Domination of pop culture. People simply get to see more of America than most other countries and we have enough varieties of it for you to pick your particular fantasy.

2. Combination of variety of jobs, geography, climate and range of cost of living options. A lot of other first world nations that might be relatively open immigration wise typically have much more restrictive options in those categories. As an immigrant in some of those countries your practical options are often limited to just a couple of metropolitan areas, if that, so if you don't like the setup said metro area provides then you're sort of out of luck.
ActiveAero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 07:53 PM   #7
Paragraph Alert

Quote:
I hate Trump and there are definite things to worry about but you're delusional if you think America is a third world. As bad as America might be we are still better than the vast majority of the world and this is coming from a huge Japan fanboy.
ActiveAero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 07:57 PM   #8
Prairie Dog Breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActiveAero View Post
I hate Trump and there are definite things to worry about but you're delusional if you think America is a third world. As bad as America might be we are still better than the vast majority of the world and this is coming from a huge Japan fanboy.
I admit it was an exaggeration, but the trends I have seen as of late are quite disheartening. Japan is an excellent country doe!

Edit, and on a preemptive note (not related to what you said Active), since I'm indoctrinated by fake news and am a snowflake, America is the BEST country in the world because of:
>Having ISPs sell our data is a good thing.
> Not having a functioning state department is a good thing.
> Being allowed to dump mining waste into streams is now a good thing.
> Not having to, or heeding any ethics, nepotism, and conflicts is an even better thing.
> Losing out on a substantial trade deal with Japan is a good thing.
> Playing golf for 21% of your time in office is a good thing because it makes one relaxed and provides the optimum environment for clear thought.
> Being among a couple of all the countries in the world to ignore climate science is a good thing.
> Knocking 19 million people off of healthcare is the best thing possible as those with money deserve to do better and be more healthy in life because they are not lazy and have pulled themselves up by the bootstraps among all else.
> Ranting on social media at 3am on the world stage signals nothing but strength, transparency, and clarity of thought.
> Removing many protections established after the financial crisis is stellar.
> FINALLY jobs reports have become real again (they were fake for the last 8 years) but the CBO score has become fake (an interesting and positive change).
> Russia is and always has been our closest nuclear ally (the Bay of Pigs was for the lolz).

So yes, for all of those reasons, we are the best country on earth and if you believe otherwise you are not a patriot.
93Accord117 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 08:02 PM   #9
The Science Guy

we may have terrible healthcare, bad education and a widening income gap, but no other country out there makes funny **** like that.
Xentropa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 08:03 PM   #10
rookn00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrac1 View Post

Weed

I don't smoke anymore doe.
For now.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:04 PM   #11
Daughter not possible

God Bless America (and nobody else).
DuudeImBakening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 08:07 PM   #12
Honda-Tech Member

What makes America great? The lazy fools who ask for free ****, complain about the gov bout helping them with their kids they keep popping out even when they can't afford uno, police brutality, NLM brutality, black on white crime, white on black crime, Trump as president, stealth ninjas mods on HT.
tony_2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 08:13 PM   #13
rookn00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuudeImBakening View Post
God Bless America (and nobody else).

Try to imagine being a dad and you have 10 kids, 5 sons and 5 daughters. Imagine if one of your sons said bless my brothers but not our sisters.

As a father, how would that make you feel?
Old 07-16-2017, 08:24 PM   #14
Sanji

Quote:
Ever since Trump was elected, I can't really name any redeeming qualities about this country anymore.
I don't see how his election makes this country as bad as you say. Most of his plans haven't even had the time to showcase whether or not they are going to have ill-effects on the country as a whole.

Quote:
Our country ******* sucks...
Feel free to find your way to another one then. No one's stopping you from choosing an option that better suits you. You're only limiting yourself and whining about your situation.

Quote:
...is too lazy to deal with climate change
Really? Climate change... Earth's axial tilt is constantly changing over the course of 41,000 year cycle. So the fact that our weather patterns in this particular year do not match the last, is only a product of Earth not spinning a perfect circle and other byproducts of that scenario. If it were from human involvement (like you're suggesting), the use of nuclear power, nuclear fallout, and any other sort of atomic reaction would have had much greater effects then the temporary ones shown from the immediate explosions (not including lack of containment, like Chernobyl or Fukushima, as they are more of an environmental impact then "global warming" ever could be).

Quote:
our education system is underfunded and falling apart
I would say its more a lack of balance in funding, then "underfunded". Otherwise, college tuitions wouldn't be so insane. As for "falling apart", I don't see how that's a current trend... other then people wanting free education, which is just a fallacy.

Quote:
we have the highest prison population
This happens when you get rid of capital punishment and allow criminals second, third, almost infinitesimal quantities of chances because there's no fear of fair judgment. They want their 3 hots and a cot in a health spa vacation resort, that tax payers pay for. The best example of how we should be treating criminals, is what their doing in Arizona at the Tent City Jail.

Quote:
we have an exceptionally inefficient healthcare system based completely on profits
There's so much rampant abuse of the healthcare system, where the lazy, unemployed, illegal, or self-entitled find ways to avoid paying for healthcare... that the middle class gets absolutely raped on insurance costs to cover for their lack of support to the system they take advantage of. If everyone paid the SAME AMOUNT... you'd see no ridiculous inflation rates for any class. Since you brought up Trump, I'll reference that I watched my insurance costs go up more than 500% during the course of Obama's administration and my coverage has gone down to almost 40% of what I used to have. That's the reality of having "free healthcare" for all those who can't afford it. Someone has to front the bill, because otherwise no one would want to be in the healthcare profession. Time costs money.

Quote:
we have **** internet controlled by monopolies
I don't have a frame of reference outside of our country, other than we have one of the highest coverage areas in the world. Compare that to countries like Africa, and things start to sway against your statement.

Quote:
our working hours are elevated compared to most other western countries
We also have one of the strongest commerces in the world. We live in a very heavy consumer-based country. If you want an example of what a company gets when trying to move into low-activity countries, look at how bad Target had it when they tried to sell in Canada.

Quote:
there exists no maternity care
I can't speak to this. You very well could be accurate here.

Quote:
politics have devolved to tribalism
You can thank extremist parties and the increase in media (be it social or mainstream) for that. Opinions get thrown around as facts, which elevates hostilities and causes more problems then a society that kept their opinions to themselves.

Quote:
the gap between the rich and the poor is among the worst it's ever been
True. But, there are countries that have it far worse. Not trying to excuse our situation at all, but there are quite a few places out there that have it FAR FAR worse.

Quote:
At this point, I would define this country as a third world, but with a lot of rich people in it.
If this were the case, there'd be a significant portion of people out there without electricity, sleeping on dirt floors, drinking dirty water, and eating whatever they can scrounge up in the dirt they sleep on. I think this is a GROSS over-exaggeration.

Quote:
Plus, the insane amount of corruption, voter suppression, and shady bullshit makes me continually embarrassed to be a citizen or live here.
Most of these problems have existed FAR long before this current generation. Its just that the media thrives on attention through negative story topics and its more visual now then ever. If you think corruption hasn't existed for a while... you apparently don't know much about our political system's history. Again, I'm not excusing the corrupt... just making a point that its no more corrupt today, then it has been for generations. I've been desiring a change of guard for quite some time.

Quote:
So to answer your questions - hardly anything, except for good microbrews, pretty scenery, and inexpensive commodities.
Almost all those things are not available in a third world country.
toyomatt84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 08:32 PM   #15
Honda-Tech Member

Quote:
Try to imagine being a dad and you have 10 kids, 5 sons and 5 daughters. Imagine if one of your sons said bless my brothers but not our sisters.

RudeAwakening just refuses to acknowledge any of his children, this argument will fall on deaf ears.

America is at a weird point right now. If I were to travel internationally, I'd likely try to pass myself off as Canadian, I'd rather be told how handsome Trudeau is than how dumb Trump (and by extension, Americans) is.
bluuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 08:36 PM   #16
rookn00b

I was hoping he falls for the "daughter not possible" angle but your angle works too
Old 07-16-2017, 08:38 PM   #17
Honda-Tech Member

Quote:
Damn bro why you so mad? Your attitude sucks.

I love this country. I feel we really do have more freedoms than all other countries. Majority of people don't care about the great things like guns, national parks (no place has the amount of land available to everyone to access that we do), and so much financial opportunity. They are lazy don't want to work. like dude above bitches about working long hours be happy you have a job don't like it go get a different one where you can work 30hours. You can do anything you want. Not everywhere can you go from nothing to making 6 figures in 5-10 years.

Also sports, football/ college football, one big country with many different cultures.
natedawg500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 08:43 PM   #18
Honda-Tech Member

Football as a reason why the US is great.

hahahahahahahahahahhaa.

Football is straight trash breh.

THE FREEDOM TO LEAVE PEOPLE DESTROYED BY THE TIME THEY GRADUATE HIGH SCHOOL HELLS YEAH.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:43 PM   #19
rookn00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedawg500 View Post
I feel we really do have more freedoms than all other countries.
I thought about making a thread a while ago:

Out of approximately 200 nations, how many allows you to hold up a sign that says the president/queen/prime minister/emperor/whatever the **** your country uses as a leader, likes to suck dick.

I can stand outside on 1600 Pennsylvania Ave and hold a sign that says:

Trump sucks dick and likes to swallow.

How many other countries would allow such an act?

Old 07-16-2017, 08:48 PM   #20
Daughter not possible

Quote:

I know you're trying to be cute, but I was actually mocking the American attitude; it's arrogance.

Just like the majority here care only about it's own problems (and nobody else). Say for instance with the whole minorities and cops thing. The majority's answer; "Suck it up", "Comply or die", ect.

The majority's problem; heroin, OD's and Narcan, the majority's answer for that; "We need compassion", "Addiction is a disease".

American values are a joke.
DuudeImBakening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 08:50 PM   #21
Honda-Tech Member

Quote:
My values are a joke.
Agreed.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:00 PM   #22
rookn00b

Quote:

Just like the majority here care only about it's own problems (and nobody else).
Quote:
We reach an age when you realize that being a man isn't about respect or strength.

It's about being aware of all the things you touch.

Children face inward. Wallow in their own selfish needs.

Men face out. Take action on the needs of others.

-Jax
Old 07-16-2017, 09:26 PM   #23
Honda-Tech Member

Quote:
You got bitches like this that cry all day every day about how our country sucks. Get the **** out you bike riding hippie queer. Seriously, go **** yourself and get the **** out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluuu View Post
Football as a reason why the US is great.

hahahahahahahahahahhaa.

Football is straight trash breh.

THE FREEDOM TO LEAVE PEOPLE DESTROYED BY THE TIME THEY GRADUATE HIGH SCHOOL HELLS YEAH.
This coming from a guy who couldn't be the waterboy of the team.
1 2 NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 09:27 PM   #24
-Intl Steve Krew

This ************ just quoted himself quoting Sons of Anarchy lulz
Caoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 09:28 PM   #25
-Intl Steve Krew

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 2 NV View Post
You got bitches like this that cry all day every day about how our country sucks. Get the **** out you bike riding hippie queer. Seriously, go **** yourself and get the **** out.

This coming from a guy who couldn't be the waterboy of the team.
You get your stab proof vest yet for fighting the antifa scum doe
Caoboy is offline   Reply With Quote