Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you feed your dog?

Old 12-06-2010, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you feed your dog?

Ive been reading on this for awhile, and so many different opinions out there on what is best for your dog.

Some say raw and home made is the best, which i can see the reason, but like most also say, who really has time for that?

I have a 14/15 week old long haired springer spaniel, he has been on a dry bag food from walmart, it was like the middle priced one, second ingredient is chicken, and has done exceptionally well with it, but i feel like i should be giving him something healthier, with meat as the first ingredient, just all that filler and corn bugs me i guess.

Any recommendations, suggestions, comments?
Old 12-06-2010, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What do you feed your dog?

You should make a thread about that so everyone knows. I guess i dont see how that relates at all to my topic beyond the fact that there is a dog in your story.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:34 AM
El Chico

WTF is with the comments? Reading fail or just severe attention deficit disorder?

OP, there are very healthy dry foods out there for dogs. None of them can be found at Wal-Mart. Soup bones and the like can be had at butchers for next to nothing and buying some fresh carrots and taters to chop up with it isn't very hard if you'd like to go raw.

For dry bag foods try Orijen, Blue Buffalo, Taste of The Wild or Natural Balance.....for wet food Newmans Own Organic Line or Canidae are very good.

Last edited by Knightsport; 12-06-2010 at 09:25 AM.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I heard you're suppose to avoid dog foods with corn, wheat, and soy... which are also harder to find.. if you have a Tractor Supply Company nearby then go there... thats where i get mine... my dog only eats it if I heat it up and mix it with water though. Like Knight said... walmart only stocks the terrible stuff
Old 12-06-2010, 11:34 AM
Oracle of GDD

Orijen Large Puppy kibble for my 6-month old Malinois.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a 8 year old male pit. He started out on science diet which he was healthy on but as he got older he developed and allergy to grain. I now feed him only grainless dog foods. His coat is better than it ever was and he no longer licks his paws which is suppose to be a common recreation from to much grain in the diet.
http://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com/
This is what I prefer to feed him. Its cheap back in the bay area but when I am in Nevada I can only find it for about $55 a bag. He likes the bison flavor the best and will not even eat the salmon flavor. I am very happy with this product and would suggest trying a few bags.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:46 AM
at the jetties fishin'

gf's dog only gets what the vet says to get. its a miniature snauzer (sp?) and eating anything out of a controlled diet causes it to wake up in the middle of the night and **** and puke everywhere

vet has found out what it can/cant eat. it gets bag food that is salmon based and treats are made in house out of pumpkin. though the occasional pig ear treat is ok as long as we cut it in half at the base. the whole thing is too much and the puking continues sigh.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:52 AM
Occupy GDD

Blue Buffalo Basics. Its some what pricey but its working well with my dog who has a very sensitive stomach.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:00 PM
El Chico

For those that do not believe the Raw food hype:

I went on vacation for two weeks and had the neighbors little boy come over and feed them, let them out and play with them. I couldn't expect him to prepare the raw foods so I got a bag of Orinjen Adult Formula. When we go back the little boy said he thought that Lucy wasn't feeling well and wasn't as active in the last week. As soon as she got back on her raw diet she was a puppy again. It was amazing and I haven't thought about it twice since.

I only suggest you read a book on the subject before trying it. It really is easier than you might think.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Raw chicken leg quarters from walmart. I go when they are on sale $2.50 bag and buy a crap load. My dog goes through a bag each week now that its cold.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:44 PM
Cogent Argument Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lke2drvgsr View Post
Poopy diaper + Baby *********
Fixed

I like to feed my dog pet owners that don't know how to take care of animals.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.