Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you do when you stop?

Old 07-17-2001, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you do when you stop?

I've always wondered this, from my first days as a driver behind the wheel of a 71 Super Beetle (I've come a long ways, huh?).
When you come to a stop, say a light, is it better to leave the car in gear and just hold in the clutch, or shift into neutral? And how far from a complete stop before you put it into neutral? Typically, I gear down if I have time, and slip it into neutral at about 15-10 mph, right before the engine starts to act like it wants to stall. But I'll usually only do this at a light or extended stop. For just a sign, I'll gear down, clutch in right before the complete stop while sliding back into first, then off again.
Technically speaking, what's the best way to stop???
Old 07-17-2001, 07:28 PM
BoM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What do you do when you stop? (plugg)

if im in 2nd 3rd or 4th i keep it in gear and brake...til it gets to 1000rpms....before it stalls then put it in neutral and brake the rest of the way...5th gear i downshift to either 3rd or 4th depending on how fast im going then do that.....
Old 07-18-2001, 08:34 AM
ALF
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What do you do when you stop? (chairmankaga)

I simply apply the brakes...and as my speed decreases to about 20 MPH, I throw it in neutral.
Old 07-18-2001, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You should leave the car in neutral during a stop. If you have the clutch in, you can wear out your thrust bearing.

Also, I usually just go from whatever gear I am in to neutral when stopping. Brakes pads are a hell of a lot cheaper to replace that trannies.
Old 07-18-2001, 10:01 AM

Default Re: What do you do when you stop? (breaka_1_9)

I push the clutch in, go 5-4-3-2 with my clutch to the floor.. when I stop I shift to 1, and keep my foot on the floor. But apparently leaving the clutch in is bad for stuff... I dunno.

And then when I'm stopped, I usually turn down my music a little because I don't want to be 'that guy.'
Old 07-18-2001, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What do you do when you stop? (nerdish)

I push the clutch in, go 5-4-3-2 with my clutch to the floor.. when I stop I shift to 1, and keep my foot on the floor. But apparently leaving the clutch in is bad for stuff... I dunno.
Nerdish 2 things....

1. Leaving the clutch in is indeed bad for your motor. The thrust bearings keep the crank from moving side to side. When you push the clutch in these bearings are absorbing the force of the crank being pulled to the side. These bearings would be expensive to replace as they are part of the bottom end...

2. I am not attacking you, but why shift through all the gears? Is it really necessary? Use your brakes more and you car will like you better for it.
Old 07-18-2001, 11:47 AM

Default Re: What do you do when you stop? (breaka_1_9)

Dat's what I heard too. If you look at the design of a clutch you'll see why it causes undue wear and tear to keep the clutch on the floor. Not that it really matters, or anything .

When I pull up to a stopsign or light I usually play with the stereo. I roll in neutral as much as possible.
Old 07-18-2001, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What do you do when you stop? (raeneshadow)

We discussed the rolling in neutral thing in the IT-R forum a few days ago. Here's a link to the thread.
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=51853

Old 07-18-2001, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What do you do when you stop? (eurodeseo)

No advice on coming TO a stop, but once there, I now keep my foot firmly pressed on the brake... Until yesterday, I would not do that if I was on a flat surface. I was sitting fifth car back from the red light when an SUV in the third position must have slipped his foot onto his gas, floored it into the pickup in second position which then plowed into the car in front pushing it out into the intersection (where it almost got hit again)!
Wow, what an eye opener that was!...
Old 07-18-2001, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

throw my car in neutral.

[Modified by Trinity, 9:21 PM 7/18/2001]
Old 07-18-2001, 12:45 PM

Default Re: What do you do when you stop? (Trinity)

neutral