Unpopular opinions thread. - Page 23 - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unpopular opinions thread.

Old 12-06-2018, 11:17 AM
INSERT TITLE HERE

Default Re: Unpopular opinions thread.

Originally Posted by Todd00 View Post
It's like people forget about The Eagles...
I actually appreciate what the Eagles did for rock and roll.

They sucked so bad that they inspired a whole generation of new artists to create punk rock music. They deserve credit for that.

Old 12-06-2018, 11:18 AM
Oracle of GDD

90% of it sucks. All the new country-bro guys sound almost exactly the same. Even the groups are nondescript.

Older country is ok and certainly better than the new stuff. After about the late 90's, it started resembling what it does today. Listen again to the early Garth Brooks albums and tell me that anything today comes even close to that.
I have a blues-metal station on Pandora that feeds me some country stuff. In particular I keep getting really depressing **** by Chris Stapleton. I lack context here, not being a country listener, but...nothing about him seems bro-ish. Am I missing something?

Originally Posted by Rguy View Post
I dont understand why everyone hates Nickelback.
They are the best of a shitty genre. XM 37, Octane.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:22 AM
I said I don't want a title!

Chris Stapleton is not "bro-ish" per se. He's actually one of the decent ones because he writes his own songs. He's definitely not a manufactured "country pop star" like a lot of them are.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by newt2 View Post
I actually appreciate what the Eagles did for rock and roll.

They sucked so bad that they inspired a whole generation of new artists to create punk rock music. They deserve credit for that.

#1 selling country (excuse me...rock) group of all time.

lol.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:30 AM
Oracle of GDD

Chris Stapleton is not "bro-ish" per se. He's actually one of the decent ones because he writes his own songs. He's definitely not a manufactured "country pop star" like a lot of them are.
Yeah, seems that way--this station is filled with depressing bluesy ****, but it started with a group called Blues Pills, which is loosely connected to the Scandinavian black-metal scene. Kind of interesting how that linked to Stapleton, but it's agreeable to me so far.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:34 AM
INSERT TITLE HERE

#1 selling country (excuse me...rock) group of all time.

lol.
Proof right there that the best artists in music aren't the most popular. Popular music is popular because it's simple and familiar. Innovation usually gets shunned until years later when everything starts sounding like it.

If you want to know who's good, find out who the musicians are listening to rather than listening to what's popular.

It's also worth point out that a lot of those big names "sold" as many records as they did because of Columbia House back in the 70's and 80's. They were on the 10 for 1 penny promotions for two decades. Dark Side of the Moon (which is a great album too) has the longest run on the top 100 chart mainly because of Columbia House. People weren't buying it at the record store for $10 20 years after it's release, they were picking it as one of their freebees from the limited choice of 100 or so on the sign up sheet.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:42 AM
Loves Tossing Salad

Diane Lane is one beautiful woman.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:44 AM

Let's not forget that the Eagles are now #1 also due in large part to how they are counting digital downloads. People haven't stopped buying their albums or downloading their songs.

My original point about the Eagles was that they were pop country long before that genre was identified.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:50 AM
I am SO fancy!

Originally Posted by 09chaplak View Post
Diane Lane is one beautiful woman.
Can we say "Lonesome Dove" Diane Lane? I would agree.

Otherwise, I still would agree.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:50 AM
I am SO fancy!

Let's not forget that the Eagles are now #1 also due in large part to how they are counting digital downloads. People haven't stopped buying their albums or downloading their songs.

My original point about the Eagles was that they were pop country long before that genre was identified.
Desperado is their best. Come at me.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:52 AM

There's a couple of Eagles songs that I don't mind, but Desperado would not be one that I'd stay on a channel for.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:53 AM
INSERT TITLE HERE

Fair enough, I didn't catch that at first.

There's a lot of good twangy rock bands. The Grateful Dead probably tops the list in my mind, but my library is full of examples. Cracker, Bright Eyes, Violent Femmes, Little Feat, Noah and the Whale, The Lumineers, The Mavericks, Mumford.... This is why I get a little cross eyed when people say they like rock but can't stand country. There's just so much crossover. I usually just assume they mean they don't like mainstream country because that's really all they're exposed to.

Old 12-06-2018, 11:59 AM
I am SO fancy!

There's a couple of Eagles songs that I don't mind, but Desperado would not be one that I'd stay on a channel for.
Sorry - I meant the album. I do like Desperado, but there are better songs on the album. There is a "Desperado Reprise" that I like, doe.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:01 PM

There's a lot of good twangy rock bands. The Grateful Dead probably tops the list in my mind, but my library is full of examples. Cracker, Bright Eyes, Violent Femmes, Little Feat, Noah and the Whale, The Lumineers, The Mavericks, Mumford.... This is why I get a little cross eyed when people say they like rock but can't stand country. There's just so much crossover. I usually just assume they mean they don't like mainstream country because that's really all they're exposed to.
Rock country to a lot of folks = Rascal Flatts

To me, it is groups like The Mavericks, Little Feat, etc. I listen to both a couple times a month. Little Feat vinyl isn't all that expensive and it's the best way to experience them.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:02 PM
I am SO fancy!

Reckless Kelly, Cross Canadian Regweed, CCR, ad nauseam.

Old 12-06-2018, 12:04 PM
INSERT TITLE HERE

Exactly, so much good stuff. Not liking country means not liking American music because its influence is everywhere.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:15 PM
I am SO fancy!

THAT IS UNAMERICAN, AND THE TERRORIST WIN!
Old 12-06-2018, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would have never considered The Eagles to be a country act. To me they are in the same boat as CCR: city boys who were riding the fence between country/pop/rock because that's what sold the best.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Exactly, so much good stuff. Not liking country means not liking American music because its influence is everywhere.
"You're the only one that you are screwing when you put down something you don't understand."

Old 12-06-2018, 12:46 PM
INSERT TITLE HERE

Originally Posted by rockcity View Post
"You're the only one that you are screwing when you put down something you don't understand."
I like that.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I like that.
It's a Hank Jr quote from the song I posted earlier.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by rockcity View Post
I would have never considered The Eagles to be a country act. To me they are in the same boat as CCR: city boys who were riding the fence between country/pop/rock because that's what sold the best.
That's because country in the 1970's was still considered to be people like Hank Williams, Willie Nelson, Loretta Lynn, etc.

The Eagles were doing country with a pop flavor but people didn't know that genre existed yet. If the Eagles were doing it today, they'd be played more on country stations than anything else.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:02 PM
Oracle of GDD

That's because country in the 1970's was still considered to be people like Hank Williams, Willie Nelson, Loretta Lynn, etc.

The Eagles were doing country with a pop flavor but people didn't know that genre existed yet. If the Eagles were doing it today, they'd be played more on country stations than anything else.
Just for the record...sig this if you want lol...Todd is 100% right

https://www.wideopencountry.com/eagl...ped-as-opener/
Old 12-07-2018, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

BAconator is the best fast food burger
Old 12-07-2018, 09:32 AM
footwork mastery

Monday > Friday

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Unpopular opinions thread.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.