Unpopular opinions thread. - Page 23 - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unpopular opinions thread.

Old 12-06-2018, 11:17 AM
  #551  
INSERT TITLE HERE
 
newt2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Littleton, CO, USA
Posts: 1,444
Default Re: Unpopular opinions thread.

Originally Posted by Todd00 View Post
It's like people forget about The Eagles...
I actually appreciate what the Eagles did for rock and roll.

They sucked so bad that they inspired a whole generation of new artists to create punk rock music. They deserve credit for that.

newt2 is online now  
Old 12-06-2018, 11:18 AM
  #552  
Oracle of GDD
 
Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: a lake in VA
Posts: 11,896
Default Re: Unpopular opinions thread.

Originally Posted by Todd00 View Post
90% of it sucks. All the new country-bro guys sound almost exactly the same. Even the groups are nondescript.

Older country is ok and certainly better than the new stuff. After about the late 90's, it started resembling what it does today. Listen again to the early Garth Brooks albums and tell me that anything today comes even close to that.
I have a blues-metal station on Pandora that feeds me some country stuff. In particular I keep getting really depressing **** by Chris Stapleton. I lack context here, not being a country listener, but...nothing about him seems bro-ish. Am I missing something?

Originally Posted by Rguy View Post
I dont understand why everyone hates Nickelback.
They are the best of a shitty genre. XM 37, Octane.
Ross is offline  
Old 12-06-2018, 11:22 AM
  #553  
I said I don't want a title!
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: OH
Posts: 11,487
Default Re: Unpopular opinions thread.

Chris Stapleton is not "bro-ish" per se. He's actually one of the decent ones because he writes his own songs. He's definitely not a manufactured "country pop star" like a lot of them are.
Todd00 is offline  
Old 12-06-2018, 11:23 AM
  #554  
I said I don't want a title!
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: OH
Posts: 11,487
Default Re: Unpopular opinions thread.

Originally Posted by newt2 View Post
I actually appreciate what the Eagles did for rock and roll.

They sucked so bad that they inspired a whole generation of new artists to create punk rock music. They deserve credit for that.

#1 selling country (excuse me...rock) group of all time.

lol.
Todd00 is offline  
Old 12-06-2018, 11:30 AM
  #555  
Oracle of GDD
 
Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: a lake in VA
Posts: 11,896
Default Re: Unpopular opinions thread.

Originally Posted by Todd00 View Post
Chris Stapleton is not "bro-ish" per se. He's actually one of the decent ones because he writes his own songs. He's definitely not a manufactured "country pop star" like a lot of them are.
Yeah, seems that way--this station is filled with depressing bluesy ****, but it started with a group called Blues Pills, which is loosely connected to the Scandinavian black-metal scene. Kind of interesting how that linked to Stapleton, but it's agreeable to me so far.
Ross is offline  
Old 12-06-2018, 11:34 AM
  #556  
INSERT TITLE HERE
 
newt2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Littleton, CO, USA
Posts: 1,444
Default Re: Unpopular opinions thread.

Originally Posted by Todd00 View Post
#1 selling country (excuse me...rock) group of all time.

lol.
Proof right there that the best artists in music aren't the most popular. Popular music is popular because it's simple and familiar. Innovation usually gets shunned until years later when everything starts sounding like it.

If you want to know who's good, find out who the musicians are listening to rather than listening to what's popular.

It's also worth point out that a lot of those big names "sold" as many records as they did because of Columbia House back in the 70's and 80's. They were on the 10 for 1 penny promotions for two decades. Dark Side of the Moon (which is a great album too) has the longest run on the top 100 chart mainly because of Columbia House. People weren't buying it at the record store for $10 20 years after it's release, they were picking it as one of their freebees from the limited choice of 100 or so on the sign up sheet.
newt2 is online now  
Old 12-06-2018, 11:42 AM
  #557  
Loves Tossing Salad
 
09chaplak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Uh, uh DIPSY
Posts: 916
Default Re: Unpopular opinions thread.

Diane Lane is one beautiful woman.
09chaplak is online now  
Old 12-06-2018, 11:44 AM
  #558  
I said I don't want a title!
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: OH
Posts: 11,487
Default Re: Unpopular opinions thread.

Let's not forget that the Eagles are now #1 also due in large part to how they are counting digital downloads. People haven't stopped buying their albums or downloading their songs.

My original point about the Eagles was that they were pop country long before that genre was identified.
Todd00 is offline  
Old 12-06-2018, 11:50 AM
  #559  
I am SO fancy!
 
silvertaxasteg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Houston
Posts: 142
Default Re: Unpopular opinions thread.

Originally Posted by 09chaplak View Post
Diane Lane is one beautiful woman.
Can we say "Lonesome Dove" Diane Lane? I would agree.

Otherwise, I still would agree.
silvertaxasteg is online now  
Old 12-06-2018, 11:50 AM
  #560  
I am SO fancy!
 
silvertaxasteg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Houston
Posts: 142
Default Re: Unpopular opinions thread.

Originally Posted by Todd00 View Post
Let's not forget that the Eagles are now #1 also due in large part to how they are counting digital downloads. People haven't stopped buying their albums or downloading their songs.

My original point about the Eagles was that they were pop country long before that genre was identified.
Desperado is their best. Come at me.
silvertaxasteg is online now  
Old 12-06-2018, 11:52 AM
  #561  
I said I don't want a title!
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: OH
Posts: 11,487
Default Re: Unpopular opinions thread.

There's a couple of Eagles songs that I don't mind, but Desperado would not be one that I'd stay on a channel for.
Todd00 is offline  
Old 12-06-2018, 11:53 AM
  #562  
INSERT TITLE HERE
 
newt2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Littleton, CO, USA
Posts: 1,444
Default Re: Unpopular opinions thread.

Originally Posted by Todd00 View Post
Let's not forget that the Eagles are now #1 also due in large part to how they are counting digital downloads. People haven't stopped buying their albums or downloading their songs.

My original point about the Eagles was that they were pop country long before that genre was identified.
Fair enough, I didn't catch that at first.

There's a lot of good twangy rock bands. The Grateful Dead probably tops the list in my mind, but my library is full of examples. Cracker, Bright Eyes, Violent Femmes, Little Feat, Noah and the Whale, The Lumineers, The Mavericks, Mumford.... This is why I get a little cross eyed when people say they like rock but can't stand country. There's just so much crossover. I usually just assume they mean they don't like mainstream country because that's really all they're exposed to.

newt2 is online now  
Old 12-06-2018, 11:59 AM
  #563  
I am SO fancy!
 
silvertaxasteg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Houston
Posts: 142
Default Re: Unpopular opinions thread.

Originally Posted by Todd00 View Post
There's a couple of Eagles songs that I don't mind, but Desperado would not be one that I'd stay on a channel for.
Sorry - I meant the album. I do like Desperado, but there are better songs on the album. There is a "Desperado Reprise" that I like, doe.
silvertaxasteg is online now  
Old 12-06-2018, 12:01 PM
  #564  
I said I don't want a title!
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: OH
Posts: 11,487
Default Re: Unpopular opinions thread.

Originally Posted by newt2 View Post
Fair enough, I didn't catch that at first.

There's a lot of good twangy rock bands. The Grateful Dead probably tops the list in my mind, but my library is full of examples. Cracker, Bright Eyes, Violent Femmes, Little Feat, Noah and the Whale, The Lumineers, The Mavericks, Mumford.... This is why I get a little cross eyed when people say they like rock but can't stand country. There's just so much crossover. I usually just assume they mean they don't like mainstream country because that's really all they're exposed to.
Rock country to a lot of folks = Rascal Flatts

To me, it is groups like The Mavericks, Little Feat, etc. I listen to both a couple times a month. Little Feat vinyl isn't all that expensive and it's the best way to experience them.
Todd00 is offline  
Old 12-06-2018, 12:02 PM
  #565  
I am SO fancy!
 
silvertaxasteg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Houston
Posts: 142
Default Re: Unpopular opinions thread.

Originally Posted by newt2 View Post
Fair enough, I didn't catch that at first.

There's a lot of good twangy rock bands. The Grateful Dead probably tops the list in my mind, but my library is full of examples. Cracker, Bright Eyes, Violent Femmes, Little Feat, Noah and the Whale, The Lumineers, The Mavericks, Mumford.... This is why I get a little cross eyed when people say they like rock but can't stand country. There's just so much crossover. I usually just assume they mean they don't like mainstream country because that's really all they're exposed to.
Reckless Kelly, Cross Canadian Regweed, CCR, ad nauseam.

silvertaxasteg is online now  
Old 12-06-2018, 12:04 PM
  #566  
INSERT TITLE HERE
 
newt2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Littleton, CO, USA
Posts: 1,444
Default Re: Unpopular opinions thread.

Exactly, so much good stuff. Not liking country means not liking American music because its influence is everywhere.
newt2 is online now  
Old 12-06-2018, 12:15 PM
  #567  
I am SO fancy!
 
silvertaxasteg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Houston
Posts: 142
Default Re: Unpopular opinions thread.

THAT IS UNAMERICAN, AND THE TERRORIST WIN!
silvertaxasteg is online now  
Old 12-06-2018, 12:35 PM
  #568  
Honda-Tech Member
 
rockcity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Culture of Honor
Posts: 408
Default Re: Unpopular opinions thread.

I would have never considered The Eagles to be a country act. To me they are in the same boat as CCR: city boys who were riding the fence between country/pop/rock because that's what sold the best.
rockcity is online now  
Old 12-06-2018, 12:36 PM
  #569  
Honda-Tech Member
 
rockcity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Culture of Honor
Posts: 408
Default Re: Unpopular opinions thread.

Originally Posted by newt2 View Post
Exactly, so much good stuff. Not liking country means not liking American music because its influence is everywhere.
"You're the only one that you are screwing when you put down something you don't understand."

rockcity is online now  
Old 12-06-2018, 12:46 PM
  #570  
INSERT TITLE HERE
 
newt2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Littleton, CO, USA
Posts: 1,444
Default Re: Unpopular opinions thread.

Originally Posted by rockcity View Post
"You're the only one that you are screwing when you put down something you don't understand."
I like that.
newt2 is online now  
Old 12-06-2018, 12:47 PM
  #571  
Honda-Tech Member
 
rockcity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Culture of Honor
Posts: 408
Default Re: Unpopular opinions thread.

Originally Posted by newt2 View Post
I like that.
It's a Hank Jr quote from the song I posted earlier.
rockcity is online now  
Old 12-06-2018, 01:08 PM
  #572  
I said I don't want a title!
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: OH
Posts: 11,487
Default Re: Unpopular opinions thread.

Originally Posted by rockcity View Post
I would have never considered The Eagles to be a country act. To me they are in the same boat as CCR: city boys who were riding the fence between country/pop/rock because that's what sold the best.
That's because country in the 1970's was still considered to be people like Hank Williams, Willie Nelson, Loretta Lynn, etc.

The Eagles were doing country with a pop flavor but people didn't know that genre existed yet. If the Eagles were doing it today, they'd be played more on country stations than anything else.
Todd00 is offline  
Old 12-06-2018, 11:02 PM
  #573  
Oracle of GDD
 
Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: a lake in VA
Posts: 11,896
Default Re: Unpopular opinions thread.

Originally Posted by Todd00 View Post
That's because country in the 1970's was still considered to be people like Hank Williams, Willie Nelson, Loretta Lynn, etc.

The Eagles were doing country with a pop flavor but people didn't know that genre existed yet. If the Eagles were doing it today, they'd be played more on country stations than anything else.
Just for the record...sig this if you want lol...Todd is 100% right

https://www.wideopencountry.com/eagl...ped-as-opener/
Ross is offline  
Old 12-07-2018, 09:26 AM
  #574  
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Jackson NJ
Posts: 275
Default Re: Unpopular opinions thread.

BAconator is the best fast food burger
vLad11591 is online now  
Old 12-07-2018, 09:32 AM
  #575  
footwork mastery
 
.Grimace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bigger, Faster, Smarter, Stronger
Posts: 5,879
Default Re: Unpopular opinions thread.

Monday > Friday
.Grimace is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Unpopular opinions thread.


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.