Is Tipping in General Getting Outrageous? - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Go Back  Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion > Community Forums > General Discussion and Debate
Reload this Page >

Is Tipping in General Getting Outrageous?

General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.

Is Tipping in General Getting Outrageous?

Old 08-08-2018, 08:10 AM
footwork mastery

Default Is Tipping in General Getting Outrageous?

Seeing the tipping for takeout made me think about it. You go out for a $100-200 meal and have great service. Tip the guy 20% could be $20-40 for just an hour or so of work. With another table or two that guy is making solid money with an unskilled job. I realize there are busy times and slow times in the food service but I feel people pushing for a 20% tip is getting cray cray. I always do 10% for good service and maybe 15 if they're nice and personable with you. Fiance always calls me a cheap *** saying they need it more etc. type stuff.

is 10% really that bad? I feel people shouldn't be trying to make a career out of serving food.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:14 AM
GDD's Dr. Phil?

Default Re: Is Tipping in General Getting Outrageous?

Originally Posted by .Grimace View Post
I feel people shouldn't be trying to make a career out of serving food.

The caliber of service expected in a $100+\plate restaurant is typically reserved to those who've made a career out of serving food.
Prairie Dog Breeder

I wish companies would just effing pay their employees a better wage. What I truly hate and despise is how I more or less need to tip for EVERYTHING these days, that's what really pisses me off. Take the shuttle to the airport and the dude lifted my bag two feet -> I'm expected to tip. Staying in a hotel room, better leave a tip for the cleaning lady. Everything requires a tip and it's annoying af. I like when I get dinner in Europe and you leave maybe, maybe 10% for a tip and that's the norm and considered good enough.
Head Of Bespoke

For me, 10 % is "you could have done better". 15% is "good work" and usually about 80% of the service you can expect in my places. 20%+ is like "holy **** you treated me like a GEH baller" type service.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Seeing the tipping for takeout made me think about it. You go out for a $100-200 meal and have great service. Tip the guy 20% could be $20-40 for just an hour or so of work. With another table or two that guy is making solid money with an unskilled job. I realize there are busy times and slow times in the food service but I feel people pushing for a 20% tip is getting cray cray. I always do 10% for good service and maybe 15 if they're nice and personable with you. Fiance always calls me a cheap *** saying they need it more etc. type stuff.

is 10% really that bad? I feel people shouldn't be trying to make a career out of serving food.
Why not? I actually enjoyed being a server somewhat in my teens. Usually the $$ I received was a direct relationship to how good I was with customers. You have to just plan for that cost when you go out to eat. I'm not saying 20% is the right number tho.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:17 AM
footwork mastery

Originally Posted by oneludesol View Post

The caliber of service expected in a $100+\plate restaurant is typically reserved to those who've made a career out of serving food.
Ultra high end being the exception here* Talking like a regular *** steak house or over priced food on the lake with 20 something year olds serving you. Not Michelin rated here.

Originally Posted by 93Accord117 View Post
I wish companies would just effing pay their employees a better wage. What I truly hate and despise is how I more or less need to tip for EVERYTHING these days, that's what really pisses me off. Take the shuttle to the airport and the dude lifted my bag two feet -> I'm expected to tip. Staying in a hotel room, better leave a tip for the cleaning lady. Everything requires a tip and it's annoying af. I like when I get dinner in Europe and you leave maybe, maybe 10% for a tip and that's the norm and considered good enough.
Agreed, oh cool you made my sandwich the exact way you're supposed to, I am supposed to tip because why? Traveling bugs me too those shuttle guys always grab the bag from you even though I say I've got it. Gets annoying everyone expects a tip I think employers do need to pay better.

Originally Posted by LightningTeg View Post
Why not? I actually enjoyed being a server somewhat in my teens. Usually the $$ I received was a direct relationship to how good I was with customers. You have to just plan for that cost when you go out to eat. I'm not saying 20% is the right number tho.
I do plan on it and know it's there but the lady will tip 20% even at Outback when they forget half of what we ask for and leave my water glass empty half the time. She just seems programmed to tip 20% even if the server dropped her food and hands it to her.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:20 AM
Will you make something up for me please?

I think tipping is stupid. This "servers should get paid livable wages" is nonsense. If they do not make at least minimum wage, the business will cover it up to that point. So basically they are AT LEAST minimum wage, but more often than not much higher.

Why do they need a tip?

I only tip at sit-down restaurants. Maybe if something REALLY amazing happened in my experience, I'll toss something in a tip jar.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:21 AM
GDD's Dr. Phil?

I wish companies would just effing pay their employees a better wage. What I truly hate and despise is how I more or less need to tip for EVERYTHING these days, that's what really pisses me off. Take the shuttle to the airport and the dude lifted my bag two feet -> I'm expected to tip. Staying in a hotel room, better leave a tip for the cleaning lady. Everything requires a tip and it's annoying af.
I see where you're coming from, but think about it like this for a moment... Those three scenarios, most likely the person who is serving or helping you is an immigrant or a minority, doing a low paying, low skilled job, trying to make ends meet. I'm almost sure you are supportive of social programs to give these people a helping hand, why would you so vehemently oppose an opportunity to offer that helping hand personally, one human to another in a transaction that shows appreciation for the work they are doing for you personally?
Old 08-08-2018, 08:22 AM
Loves Tossing Salad

My local Ritas has a tip jar. I wanted to ask, butwhy.gif
Old 08-08-2018, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I feel like before answering, everyone should state if they ever worked in service.

I have but it was mainly on the line but you still see/get it all.

I tip normally 20% on great service and places we frequent. If it's somewhere new and we weren't happy, more like 10-15% or so.

I'd rather tipping be done away with but we know that likely won't happen anytime soon.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Tipping is getting out of hand, even joints that have you order 1st and then sit down, get called to pick up your order, are putting tip jars out.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:25 AM
GDD's Dr. Phil?

Ultra high end being the exception here* Talking like a regular *** steak house or over priced food on the lake with 20 something year olds serving you. Not Michelin rated here.
I was using your example of the $100-200 bill, but aside from that, where do you think career waiters come from? They don't start as dishwashers at those same restaurants, they start by serving the lower end. The skills and work ethics are gained through experience like most other jobs.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:25 AM
Loves Tossing Salad

How did it first start?
Old 08-08-2018, 08:27 AM
footwork mastery

Originally Posted by Mattb16teg View Post
I feel like before answering, everyone should state if they ever worked in service.
Worked multiple service industry jobs and moved on because I realized it was bullshit to expect

I was using your example of the $100-200 bill, but aside from that, where do you think career waiters come from? They don't start as dishwashers at those same restaurants, they start by serving the lower end. The skills and work ethics are gained through experience like most other jobs.
The $100-200 bill includes like 50% over priced alcohol drinks though. Not $100 steaks
Old 08-08-2018, 08:30 AM
Loves Tossing Salad

I go titty to tip ratio. Big ole tittys hanging out, 20%+. You can figure the rest.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:32 AM
Prairie Dog Breeder

I see where you're coming from, but think about it like this for a moment... Those three scenarios, most likely the person who is serving or helping you is an immigrant or a minority, doing a low paying, low skilled job, trying to make ends meet. I'm almost sure you are supportive of social programs to give these people a helping hand, why would you so vehemently oppose an opportunity to offer that helping hand personally, one human to another in a transaction that shows appreciation for the work they are doing for you personally?
I get what you're saying and you are right, I am supportive of those things and those are the type of people to work in those positions. I tip 9/10 times in those situations because I do have empathy for them and I feel like they are deserving after tolerating the general public's rudeness, etc. I'm simply saying, I do not like how companies pay them so poorly that tips are more or less required to supplement their wage. I understand how tipping provides an incentive for them to be helpful and nice, but at the same time travel gets annoying when every interaction is expecting of a tip. It's not that I'm cheap, rather I'd prefer to pay 10% more for said product than for individuals be reliant on tips alone. But this leads back to a minimum wage discussion...
Old 08-08-2018, 08:32 AM
footwork mastery

**** out 30%+?
Old 08-08-2018, 08:33 AM
Loves Tossing Salad

**** out 30%+?
If the occasion calls for it then yes, something like that.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:34 AM
GDD's Dr. Phil?

The $100-200 bill includes like 50% over priced alcohol drinks though. Not $100 steaks
I do get that about the alcohol. I generally tip $1 for a bottle or draft, $2 for a mixed drink, regardless of what they cost.

Old 08-08-2018, 08:37 AM
Grandpa

I wish companies would just effing pay their employees a better wage.
Unfortunately, the business model for full service restaurants in the United States includes very low wage employees who will rely on tips to get income.

The business is planned like that, and if you suddenly have to pay wait staff 15.00/hour, you won't make it.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:38 AM
Will you make something up for me please?

Originally Posted by Mattb16teg View Post
Why though? I hear a lot of people say that. "If you were ever a server, you would know."

No, not really. As I said earlier, I'm almost 100% certain that they make at least minimum wage. If their $2/hr or whatever base rate doesn't make it to minimum wage with tips by the end of the pay cycle, then the business will cover it.

So these are at their lowest rate, a minimum wage employee. Does that mean they deserve tips? 95% of my entire workforce (30K employees) make minimum wage. They're not getting tips. In fact, sometimes they don't even get a paycheck because their medical insurance/benefits are more than a single paycheck.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:39 AM
Drunk Wagon Pilot

Just make sure my drinks are refilled in a timely manner and you'll get a tip

I HATE those waiters/waitresses that basically bring you your first drink then screw off doing whatever. They basically get a 0 tip from me.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:39 AM
GDD's Dr. Phil?

I get what you're saying and you are right, I am supportive of those things and those are the type of people to work in those positions. I tip 9/10 times in those situations because I do have empathy for them and I feel like they are deserving after tolerating the general public's rudeness, etc. I'm simply saying, I do not like how companies pay them so poorly that tips are more or less required to supplement their wage. I understand how tipping provides an incentive for them to be helpful and nice, but at the same time travel gets annoying when every interaction is expecting of a tip. It's not that I'm cheap, rather I'd prefer to pay 10% more for said product than for individuals be reliant on tips alone. But this leads back to a minimum wage discussion...
I figured, we're alike in that sense. I'd like to see them get paid more too, but just remember that is your opportunity to literally put your money where your mouth is. We can vote and vote and vote, maybe things change, maybe they don't, there's nothing wrong with trying to make a difference in the WORLD, but always remember that you have the power to make WORLD of difference to that individual in that moment.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:40 AM
C-A-P-S CAPS CAPS CAPS

Originally Posted by Pinja View Post
Just make sure my drinks are refilled in a timely manner and you'll get a tip

I HATE those waiters/waitresses that basically bring you your first drink then screw off doing whatever. They basically get a 0 tip from me.
And take my empty glass. Don't bring me a new one and leave my empty one.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:41 AM
Loves Tossing Salad

In all honesty, I always assume their pay sucks total *** and tip real well unless they were terrible on purpose. Usually try to think about it as maybe this little bit extra I give them will help them pay x and y.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.