Thinking of buying skiis, don't know much about them - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Go Back  Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion > Community Forums > General Discussion and Debate
Reload this Page >

Thinking of buying skiis, don't know much about them

General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.

Thinking of buying skiis, don't know much about them

Old 03-13-2018, 08:38 AM
Will you make something up for me please?

Default Thinking of buying skiis, don't know much about them

I'd say I'm a moderately advanced snowboarder. I don't take huge jumps and flip in the air (not really into that stuff) but I can ride just about any terrain well. I basically just like to go fast. That said, no matter how good I am, I can never really touch a skiier in terms of speed. Especially when the terrain gets a bit flat, skiiers keep going and I'm hopping along trying to gain that little bit of forward momentum.

I tried skiing about 10 years ago and failed miserably and took up snowboarding instead. Last year I rented some skiis at Mammoth Mountain, CA and did reasonably well. I basically already skipped over the whole "pizza/french fry" movement and I can carve somewhat.

So now I want skiis. I also don't want to spend $2K on the gear. I went to a few shops and tried to get some basic information about skiis and learned a lot, but want to see what else I can learn here. Plus I'm 39 now and it would be nice to try something new. Most of the older folks on the mountain are all on skiis.

What I know:
* Ski length - similar to snowboards. Longer = faster. Shorter = slower/easier to turn. Average is between nose to forehead length.
* Stiffness - the more advanced you are, the stiffer you want things. Beginners want something more flexible since their legs/ankles aren't too strong and might wobble with the terrain. Flexible skiis absorb some of that.
* Width - wider means you can go on more powder. I'm looking for a jack of all trades. I don't think I'll be good enough to feel the difference for many years.
* Type of edge? - Guy mentioned this, but don't know anything. Some are tapered, some are just straight.
* Bindings - don't know much here, other than the more expensive ones let you adjust them tighter. And some specialty ones let you bring your heel up.
* Boots - don't know much here, other than there are stiffness ratings for boots.

What else do I need to know? I went to an ski/snowboard outlet shop this past weekend which had a bunch of discount packages for $400-600. This was significantly cheaper than other stores I've been to where the skiis alone were $800-2000. Bindings another $300-500, and boots the same. However I know that "packages" sometimes give you sub-par equipment. The board might look good, but the bindings and boots are terrible. I know they do this for snowboards. I don't know much about ski gear so I don't want ot be taken advantage of with a "discount package" deal.

I'm okay with spending the money if it is worth it. But if I'll never feel/know the difference, I don't want to. And good brands out there I should look for? I'll need to get a set for my wife too (beginner set).

Bonus pics from last week at Jackson Hole.

Old 03-13-2018, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Thinking of buying skiis, don't know much about them

Go do it and take lessons. My wife wont listen to me so I paid for her to go get lessons and she took it much better lol. I learned how to skii when I was 6, then switched to snowboard when I was 14. I got hurt a whole bunch landing on my back and ankle snowboarding for 10 years, and a couple years ago I switched back without any issues. Didn't fall once.

Its definitely more enjoyable not unbinding every time you get stuck or at the top of lifts and you spend a lot less time on your ***.

AS far as what kind of skis to get? I couldn't tell you other then go to a pro-shop and have them explain and try on as much as you can until you can feel comfortable in them for long periods. They are alot tighter and less flexible then snowboard boots, so it has to be comfortable.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:47 AM
aka DaZman69!

Not sure if your set on skiing, but consider an alpine board. I switched to that about 10 years ago and love it. Just as fast as skis

you wear ski boots, well very similar to ski boots.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:48 AM
something gnarly

both of 'em?
Old 03-13-2018, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by LightningTeg View Post
Go do it and take lessons.
I've taken snowboard and ski lessons many years ago and I thought they were terrible since you go at the pace of the slowest person. I learned all my snowboarding on my own. Same with skiis. Put them on last year for the first time in 10 years and was able to do reasonably well. Maybe I'll try a more advanced class or something.

Originally Posted by sflkgjsfndgn View Post
Not sure if your set on skiing, but consider an alpine board. I switched to that about 10 years ago and love it. Just as fast as skis

you wear ski boots, well very similar to ski boots.
I didn't even consider that. I Googled it and I don't know if my old legs/knees will let me use that setup comfortably for a long time. Looks like both your feet are pointing forward. I think I'm set on trying skiis.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:08 AM
aka DaZman69!

Originally Posted by shamoo View Post
I'd say I'm a moderately advanced snowboarder. I don't take huge jumps and flip in the air (not really into that stuff) but I can ride just about any terrain well. I basically just like to go fast. That said, no matter how good I am, I can never really touch a skiier in terms of speed. Especially when the terrain gets a bit flat, skiiers keep going and I'm hopping along trying to gain that little bit of forward momentum.

I tried skiing about 10 years ago and failed miserably and took up snowboarding instead. Last year I rented some skiis at Mammoth Mountain, CA and did reasonably well. I basically already skipped over the whole "pizza/french fry" movement and I can carve somewhat.

So now I want skiis. I also don't want to spend $2K on the gear. I went to a few shops and tried to get some basic information about skiis and learned a lot, but want to see what else I can learn here. Plus I'm 39 now and it would be nice to try something new. Most of the older folks on the mountain are all on skiis.

What I know:
* Ski length - similar to snowboards. Longer = faster. Shorter = slower/easier to turn. Average is between nose to forehead length.
* Stiffness - the more advanced you are, the stiffer you want things. Beginners want something more flexible since their legs/ankles aren't too strong and might wobble with the terrain. Flexible skiis absorb some of that.
* Width - wider means you can go on more powder. I'm looking for a jack of all trades. I don't think I'll be good enough to feel the difference for many years.
* Type of edge? - Guy mentioned this, but don't know anything. Some are tapered, some are just straight.
* Bindings - don't know much here, other than the more expensive ones let you adjust them tighter. And some specialty ones let you bring your heel up.
* Boots - don't know much here, other than there are stiffness ratings for boots.

What else do I need to know? I went to an ski/snowboard outlet shop this past weekend which had a bunch of discount packages for $400-600. This was significantly cheaper than other stores I've been to where the skiis alone were $800-2000. Bindings another $300-500, and boots the same. However I know that "packages" sometimes give you sub-par equipment. The board might look good, but the bindings and boots are terrible. I know they do this for snowboards. I don't know much about ski gear so I don't want ot be taken advantage of with a "discount package" deal.

I'm okay with spending the money if it is worth it. But if I'll never feel/know the difference, I don't want to. And good brands out there I should look for? I'll need to get a set for my wife too (beginner set).

Bonus pics from last week at Jackson Hole.

To answer your question directly, I'd buy a cheap set at first because the ski's you need when you get good are a lot different then the ski's you need to learn.

For learning and just general all trail versatility, I'd stick to the opposite of what a pro grand slalom skier uses. They use stiff, long, not very curved skis. The boots are stiff as well.

I'd put most of your efforts on your boots. Ski's you can change in and out like nothing, but your boots are your **** boots. For boots definitely go molded liner. The boot consists of the shell and the liner. You can buy liners that you put in the oven and then put your foot in them and they custom mold to your foot. I prefer using the mondo size chart, seems more accurate. Nothing is more important then how your boots fit, nothing. As for the shell, I'd just focus on whatever is easiest to take on and off. (basically for your boots your going to buy the correct size boot, remove the liner, and replace with the custom molded one.) I've used tons of ski boots, and I can hardly tell a difference between any of them from a performance perspective, it's mainly just fitment. Mostly all I've learned to care about in regards to the boot shell is comfort, ingress, egress, and walking around in them. I'll be damned if I can tell the difference from boots from 1994 to modern expensive boots while I'm actually skiing.

If I had to start from scratch, I'd buy used everything, except the boots. It's not like new ski's perform better than used ski's. It's just a damn ski and a binding.

If you visit NJ at all, there's this awesome place in Cherry Hill that hosts an annual ski swap. Like 100's of people show up. Would save you like a grand and you can actually get nice (but used) stuff. Bought my wifes ski's, boots, and bindings for $60 there because I had a suspicion she would just try it once and never do it again.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:18 AM
aka DaZman69!

I've taken snowboard and ski lessons many years ago and I thought they were terrible since you go at the pace of the slowest person. I learned all my snowboarding on my own. Same with skiis. Put them on last year for the first time in 10 years and was able to do reasonably well. Maybe I'll try a more advanced class or something.

I didn't even consider that. I Googled it and I don't know if my old legs/knees will let me use that setup comfortably for a long time. Looks like both your feet are pointing forward. I think I'm set on trying skiis.
They aren't foward.
This is my exact board and bindings, found a for sale listing from some random with the same setup. This is on the side of being a thin racing board, and as you can see the bindings aren't pointed straight ahead. Out west you'd want a wider board anyway for the powder. I can literally carve solid ice on this board.

F2 Speedster RS 183 - For Sale - Bomber Online Forums
That forum is basically THE forum for alpine boards if you're interested.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:23 AM
INSERT TITLE HERE

Your boots are the most important part of the equation. If you're going to skimp, skimp on skis and bindings, not boots. Buy an end of season deal from Steep and Cheap and you can save some serious money too.

For most people a decent set of midrange, all mountain skis are fine. If you're going to be going out of bounds to hunt powder you will probably want to step to AT skis anyway since they'll help when you're not going down too.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:25 AM
C-A-P-S CAPS CAPS CAPS

Originally Posted by 5SpdH22 View Post
both of 'em?
One of my favorite movies.

Old 03-13-2018, 10:31 AM
Resident Hoser #1

Dude is rich.

Just go buy the most expensive gear and giver!
Old 03-13-2018, 10:39 AM
something gnarly

rich because frugal tho

(rumor has it he flies spirit airlines)
Old 03-13-2018, 10:41 AM
Resident Hoser #1

He needs to save up for a few years then

How's he going to look cool like the rest of the rich people that don't know how to ski though┐?┐
Old 03-13-2018, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by 5SpdH22 View Post
rich because frugal tho

(rumor has it he flies spirit airlines)
Lols. I let my wife book the flights and the hotel, and she gets the cheapest stuff which I'm fine with. We were at the Antler Inn at Wyoming which was like $80 a night. Other places were ~$400/night. At Mammoth we were at the Motel 6 for $75/night. One block over was some fancy hotel for $350/night. No thanks.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:02 AM
Resident Hoser #1

Lols. I let my wife book the flights and the hotel, and she gets the cheapest stuff which I'm fine with. We were at the Antler Inn at Wyoming which was like $80 a night. Other places were ~$400/night. At Mammoth we were at the Motel 6 for $75/night. One block over was some fancy hotel for $350/night. No thanks.
I paid $650 a night at the Chateau Lake Louise. We got a mountain view room. It was so tiny lol. Was not worth it

Why don't you just rent some ski's to see if you even like it?
Old 03-13-2018, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by CAN97SH View Post
I paid $650 a night at the Chateau Lake Louise. We got a mountain view room. It was so tiny lol. Was not worth it

I've never been a fan of spending a lot of hotels. My cousins/friends LOVE to which is why going with them ends up to be more expensive. They want a rental condo with a kitchen and all that. To me, it is a place to sleep and that's it. I'll spend the money going out to eat. We're planning a trip end of the month (total 6 people) and my wife listed out some hotel options ranging from $300-700. Our friends all selected the two most expensive ones.

I did last season and I loved it. That's what sparked this. My plan is to eventually fully transition to skiing as the years go by.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:05 AM
INSERT TITLE HERE

Originally Posted by CAN97SH View Post

Ouch. That's a beautiful hotel but I camped at Tunnel Mountain for $20 and it was just fine.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:10 AM

I'm okay with spending more on a hotel if it is a "veg out and relax" type of vacation at some island/beach or something. One of those all inclusive type deals.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:54 PM
Resident Hoser #1

I've never been a fan of spending a lot of hotels. My cousins/friends LOVE to which is why going with them ends up to be more expensive. They want a rental condo with a kitchen and all that. To me, it is a place to sleep and that's it. I'll spend the money going out to eat. We're planning a trip end of the month (total 6 people) and my wife listed out some hotel options ranging from $300-700. Our friends all selected the two most expensive ones.

I did last season and I loved it. That's what sparked this. My plan is to eventually fully transition to skiing as the years go by.
The hotel was a splurge that's for sure. We camped everywhere and decided to hit the hotel for our last night for fun. It's a beautiful hotel but it wasn't worth the little time we spent in the room. The restaurant was amazing though

Originally Posted by newt2 View Post
Ouch. That's a beautiful hotel but I camped at Tunnel Mountain for $20 and it was just fine.
Hrm tunnel mountain I'll have to remember that one. As much as I loved the scenery I didn't like the camping as much. I don't like being surrounded by electric fences. Jasper camping was much better
Old 03-13-2018, 12:57 PM
INSERT TITLE HERE

Jasper camping was much better. In fact, I liked Jasper NP better than Banff in almost every way. Tunnel mountain wasn't a great campground or anything, just OK. Showers were plentiful though which was a plus.

The tea house hike was pretty epic though.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:58 PM
Resident Hoser #1

Originally Posted by newt2 View Post
Jasper camping was much better. In fact, I liked Jasper NP better than Banff in almost every way. Tunnel mountain wasn't a great campground or anything, just OK. Showers were plentiful though which was a plus.

The tea house hike was pretty epic though.
If I did it again which I will I might just stick to camping in Jasper. It's so amazing there. The Athabasca river is awesome. The town is cool too.

Lake Maligne near Jasper was so amazing too.

Banff sucked. Too touristy for me.

The tea house hike was beautiful and a bit challenging. We hiked down in the rain so it was slick in places.