Tesla remotely upgraded select Florida Tesla owners’ cars to expand their mileage cap - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.

Tesla remotely upgraded select Florida Tesla owners’ cars to expand their mileage cap

Old 09-11-2017, 01:11 PM   #1
I root for shitty sports teams

Default Tesla remotely upgraded select Florida Tesla owners’ cars to expand their mileage cap

https://jalopnik.com/teslas-hurrican...ear-1803081731

Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
Earlier this week, Tesla remotely upgraded select Florida Tesla owners’ cars to expand their mileage capacity in an effort to ease and assist with Hurricane Irma evacuation efforts. The move was praiseworthy and appropriate, but at the root of the gesture lies a terrifying prospect of our automotive future.

Tesla briefly sold a 60 and 60D trim level of its Model S and Model X vehicles. These models had 75 kWh battery packs installed, but were software limited to have less range to artificially create a more affordable entry-level tier for buyers. Buyers still had the option to upgrade to the full capacity for a charge if they changed their minds, and Tesla would “unlock” the capability via an over-the-air software update.

With category four Hurricane Irma headed straight for Florida, Tesla unlocked the full capacity of 60 and 60D model owners in Florida to give them about a 30 mile range boost while evacuating. It was genuinely helpful and an extremely savvy public relations move for the company.
Surprised no one posted this yet.

While good for people trying to evacuate, the manufacturer having that kind of control over a car they sold is frightening to me.
The GreenD16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 01:24 PM   #2
Parties with 2LEM1

Default Re: Tesla remotely upgraded select Florida Tesla owners’ cars to expand their mileage

You would be frightened by something as insignificant as that you little snowflake.
Brice.Hayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 01:26 PM   #3
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tesla remotely upgraded select Florida Tesla owners’ cars to expand their mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brice.Hayden View Post
You would be frightened by something as insignificant as that you little snowflake.
I think you might be trying to be funny, but after the Equifax debacle that just broke last week, I can see why there is a fear.

Say someone hacks that system and bricks your car? Or all electric cars made by tesla?
jEromy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 01:27 PM   #4
I root for shitty sports teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brice.Hayden View Post
lol
The GreenD16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 02:10 PM   #5
Steve at Heart

Does it reverse afterwards? Could have been like the airlines that were price gouging.
Bently_Coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 02:22 PM   #6
Honda-Tech Platinum Member

TFW driver control and access diminishes OTA #welcometothefuture
Setsuna F Seiei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 02:24 PM   #7
B20 Bhai M.B.B.S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bently_Coop View Post
Does it reverse afterwards? Could have been like the airlines that were price gouging.
Except for good guy Jet Blue
b20sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 02:29 PM   #8
SHAME ON YOU REBECCA!

no suprise, I thought the car does updates while the driver is away.

I'm waiting for the day where the entire human race is chipped like cattle (already happening)

BTW, I was watching demolition man. And I was blown away at the tech the movie had, and now we have as well!
kidcool1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 02:55 PM   #9
HT White Ops

Quote:
Originally Posted by The GreenD16 View Post
https://jalopnik.com/teslas-hurrican...ear-1803081731

Surprised no one posted this yet.

While good for people trying to evacuate, the manufacturer having that kind of control over a car they sold is frightening to me.
Already the case with pretty much every other device you own, better get used to it. The only thing surprising about this is how long other auto manufacturers are taking to adopt it.
rochesterricer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 03:09 PM   #10
Captain Facepalm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rochesterricer View Post
Already the case with pretty much every other device you own, better get used to it. The only thing surprising about this is how long other auto manufacturers are taking to adopt it.
Implying we own these things

Who other than M$ forces OTA updates without the customer's permission?

Would be nice if the ISPs would update their own hardware...installed in the homes of their customers to use, for a small fee of course. -_-
signalpuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 03:12 PM   #11
aka DaZman69!

Quote:
well, those devices don't have enough energy to kill you
sflkgjsfndgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 03:13 PM   #12
Captain Facepalm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflkgjsfndgn View Post
Or determine if your life is worth more than the people driving it (or in its headlights).
Old 09-11-2017, 03:18 PM   #13
HT White Ops

Quote:
Thats a great point. We've already been giving up control over our lives on the road to other drivers anyway. Given that 40,000 people die on the roads a year as is, worrying about such a low probability event as a hacker crashing your car is pretty silly.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:20 PM   #14
aka DaZman69!

Quote:
Thats a great point. We've already been giving up control over our lives on the road to other drivers anyway. Given that 40,000 people die on the roads a year as is, worrying about such a low probability event as a hacker crashing your car is pretty silly.
i'm not disagreeing with that, just the fact that it's different than a cell phone having ota updates

it's not much different than having a IR gatling gun installed at yohr house, but knowing that someone somewhere has the power to control it. Not a big deal in a practical sense, just a little unnerving to think about
sflkgjsfndgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 03:28 PM   #15
Captain Facepalm

Quote:
You do know that all cars will be talking to each other within the next decade, right? Wireless communications isn't very secure, especially when it is propagated from an omnidirectional antenna.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:30 PM   #16
Captain Facepalm

Quote:
i'm not disagreeing with that, just the fact that it's different than a cell phone having ota updates
But you choose whether to install them. If the Tesla prompted for the download, I'd be ok with it. Considering the SIM is somewhere in the dash, it's impossible to 'take it out' and opt out via a hardware mod.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:48 PM   #17
HT White Ops

Quote:
Originally Posted by signalpuke View Post
You do know that all cars will be talking to each other within the next decade, right? Wireless communications isn't very secure, especially when it is propagated from an omnidirectional antenna.
No, that is by no means certain. I do not agree that such a thing is necessary for autonomy, which will likely be here before any standards for car to car communications are even being seriously discussed by regulatory agencies

Quote:
But you choose whether to install them. If the Tesla prompted for the download, I'd be ok with it. Considering the SIM is somewhere in the dash, it's impossible to 'take it out' and opt out via a hardware mod.
People can and do hack their Teslas already.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:54 PM   #18
-Intl Steve Krew

Imagine if some terrorist hacker decided to just shut off all teslas on the road.

What else would they be capable of doing? Emergency braking? Make all Teslas with autopilot careen into oncoming traffic?

I know this is a bit extreme, but it's something to think about with how many Telsas are on the road, all over the world. Just shutting them down and forcing them to stay in the roadway would cause so much havoc...
Caoboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 03:58 PM   #19
0x5359-0055

Quote:
Man, I can't wait to have a manufacturer EOS/EOL my car because they want to push me into a new model
213374U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 04:09 PM   #20
HT White Ops

Quote:
Originally Posted by 213374U View Post
Man, I can't wait to have a manufacturer EOS/EOL my car because they want to push me into a new model
We both know you're going to root your Tesla as soon as you buy it
Old 09-11-2017, 04:15 PM   #21
Captain Facepalm

Quote:
No, that is by no means certain. I do not agree that such a thing is necessary for autonomy, which will likely be here before any standards for car to car communications are even being seriously discussed by regulatory agencies

People can and do hack their Teslas already.
https://www.car-2-car.org/index.php?id=members&L=0

Expand on these 'hacks' please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caoboy View Post
Imagine if some terrorist hacker decided to just shut off all teslas on the road.

What else would they be capable of doing? Emergency braking? Make all Teslas with autopilot careen into oncoming traffic?

I know this is a bit extreme, but it's something to think about with how many Telsas are on the road, all over the world. Just shutting them down and forcing them to stay in the roadway would cause so much havoc...
Not extreme at all. Theives are stealing Jeeps left and right by hacking them remotely and driving them away. Hacking cars has been a thing for a while, and they do exactly the things you're talking about.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:19 PM   #22
-Intl Steve Krew

Quote:
https://www.car-2-car.org/index.php?id=members&L=0

Expand on these 'hacks' please.

Not extreme at all. Theives are stealing Jeeps left and right by hacking them remotely and driving them away. Hacking cars has been a thing for a while, and they do exactly the things you're talking about.
I have read articles of this being tested.

Makes me want to buy something diesel and make my own biofuel
Caoboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 04:27 PM   #23
Captain Facepalm

Security, convenience, and cost.

Pick two.

PROTIP: the first one doesn't sell cars.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:30 PM   #24
0x5359-0055

Quote:
Security, convenience, and cost.

Pick two.

PROTIP: the first one doesn't sell <insertproduct>.
/
213374U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 04:31 PM   #25
Captain Facepalm