Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Teaching kids to fight?

Old 03-13-2019, 12:02 PM

Default Teaching kids to fight?

What is HT's take on this? As you Bros continue to age, and have children of your own, I assume you no longer live your life "quarter mile at a time."

What are your thoughts on teaching your kids how to fight? There is the easy answer, you teach your kids to defend him/herself, and never be the one that starts it. If your kids get hit, then all bets are off.

Back when I was young, it was "ok to fight." We punch, shove, push, then it's over. A teacher will break it up. Often times, with our best Bros. And become Bros for life.

Then things changed. In my Senior year, there was the introduction of weapons. It shocking for many as that mean a ride in the police car. It was scary.

Today, you all know what's going on. HT has a official mass shooting thread that everyone is numb to.

So what your take on this today? We are not kids anymore.

If you defend yourself, give him hell, then you are fully committed because it's not over. He will come back with Bros, weapons, more fights, guns, etc. Most people today got nothing to loose, and don't care about anything. Today's fights are way different than what it was like 40 years ago.

The alternative is to take the hit. Take 2 hits. There is an ending. And 9/10 times people move on. The 1/10 bully that don't stop is probably psycho, and already on a path to jail later.

There was a parental group discussion on this topic and the subject of bullying. And let's not kid ourselves, bullying is not going away. It's a part of the school culture. There is nothing schools can do anything about.

HT parents, what is our take on kids fighting? What's your stance?

Old 03-13-2019, 12:06 PM
aka DaZman69!

Default Re: Teaching kids to fight?

You could just sign them up for wrestling, probably more useful and less likey to have serious consequences
Cole Trickle

It is 2019. Kids don't fight, we have vlog battles.

Come on grandpa.
I like to party

We live in the safest time of any point in recorded history, with violent assaults and crime being at an all time low. People had guns and bats 40 years ago, you were just too young and dumb to know any better. Nothing has changed except your perception of the world, you've grown wiser and now see what risks you took when you were younger. I see no reason to teach your children to be pussies. You made it just fine.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If your kid has a genuine love for physical activity and wants to engage in karate, judo, wrestling etc. then sure go ahead. Chances are if you're not a ******** parent and your kid isn't a ******** kid then they'll learn discipline, have an avenue to let off steam, and understand that violence is truly a last resort. The people I know who are most capable of kicking someones *** are the least likely to hurl off and start some **** because they understand the magnitude of their actions and the repercussions of their decisions.

On the other hand I fully expect some bloated operator dad to put their kid into a combat sport because they a. barely have two functioning brain cells to rub together and hope for mitosis and b. think fighting is synonymous with being "manly".
Old 03-13-2019, 12:19 PM
Head Of Bespoke

Everyone should know how to defend themselves with a variety of means, but also understand when it's appropriate to deploy/use those measures and when it's not.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:56 PM
Prairie Dog Breeder

How do I teach my fur babies to fight?
Old 03-13-2019, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My girls have been doing jujitsu and kick boxing since they were 4/5. They can also handle and respect firearms. Can't choose when to be a victim
Old 03-13-2019, 01:17 PM
Keyboard Humorist

Tough call. Very different times compared to a couple of kids throwing some punches that their granddad taught them in the garage.
A lot of kids today think losing a fight is the end of their world. They get made fun of and can't handle it.
Seems to get way out of hand.

teaching a kid self defense or introducing them to a fighting sport? all about that.
Not impressed with parents taking really little ones to classes where the kid is still figuring out right from wrong.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:59 PM
something gnarly

just get them a gun
Old 03-13-2019, 02:08 PM
at the jetties fishin'

my thought is just as I was raised. dont start no ****. wont be no ****. if **** comes to you, try to diffuse it but if ***** gonna happen, end it once it starts. do NOT instigate. the instigator is the one that goes in cuffs. I've fought at least 10 bullies in school on those principals that my dad "kinda beat" into me and it worked. though once it got to high school (circa1993) I was re-taught to be as amicable as possible until it wasnt possible because at that age, you went to jail or got expelled. but he told me dont bend. do what you need to or if you get beat down you will hate life. not gonna lie I got KNOCKED the **** down to the edge of the blacktop junior year of high school and I grabbed a brick and turned and beat the **** out of him with it. my younger brother went to the same school later and was on the defense line of the football team and apparently they talked about me? haha. dad taught us not to take ****. I have no clue if a kid would be in jail right now for some of the **** I did to defend myself but I will try to instill it in my daughter as much as possible because I've heard/seen girls are WORSE than boys...plain evil is what I've heard. she needs to know how to throw a fist at a bitch as far as Im concerned. when the bitches boyfriend comes for revenge, then I'll step in.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:54 PM
Tickle-shits

My stepson (10) is a black belt (1st degree decided) in Taekwondo and a yellow in BJJ, so I guess you all can see where I stand on this.
Old 03-13-2019, 04:00 PM
Prairie Dog Breeder

No amount of martial arts can train the mind to handle the crass and abusive world of online bullying tho.
Old 03-13-2019, 04:03 PM
at the jetties fishin'

Originally Posted by Tokyosmash! View Post
My stepson (10) is a black belt (1st degree decided) in Taekwondo and a yellow in BJJ, so I guess you all can see where I stand on this.
yeah, the careful side? if his 6' tall bully finally gets after his 4' *** and he beats him to an inch of his "life" you might be hurting. look into the local laws. "lethal fists" laws for kids have been coming out and its all bullshit as far as Im concerned. your hambeast kid wouldnt have a broken elbow FOREVER if he didnt try to drown my kid in the creek with his stupid *** friends,,,,,,but thats just me. not saying I dealt with that bullshit but yeah.
Old 03-13-2019, 04:12 PM
I like to party

Originally Posted by 93Accord117 View Post
No amount of martial arts can train the mind to handle the crass and abusive world of online bullying tho.

Old 03-13-2019, 04:54 PM
SHAME ON YOU REBECCA!

I have solution. Don't allow your kids to join social media.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:07 PM
Cole Trickle

Originally Posted by 5SpdH22 View Post
just get them a gun
The first reasonable post other than my own itt
Old 03-13-2019, 05:21 PM
Tickle-shits

Thereís nothing to train, just donít have thin skin
Old 03-13-2019, 06:55 PM
I ask Twitter, not xtrac1

BJJ
Old 03-13-2019, 06:55 PM
I ask Twitter, not xtrac1

Only emos get sad over words typed on the internet.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:21 PM
#stillneedsadiaper

How do I teach my fur babies to fight?
Stop buying bitch animals srs. My doberman is smart af and already protects our baby
Old 03-13-2019, 07:24 PM
#stillneedsadiaper

Originally Posted by rico91stang View Post
Only emos get sad over words typed on the internet.

Old 03-13-2019, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My kid is 7 now. He's a pretty timid kid at heart. He's had an ongoing issue with a kid in his class. It appears this kid has a rough home life. We have always taught him be kind to everyone. Treat everyone the same.
With that said just last week my kid got pushed by the other kid. I guess my son told him not to. He did it again. My son pushed him to the ground hard. The kid told the teacher but he's the one that got sent to the principal.
I told my son as long as he's telling me the truth I have his back. I tell him if someone kicks him, kick them twice as hard. I also tell him this won't be the only ******* he meets. I feel I'm preparing him for life.
I asked him how it felt to push that kid down. He got a little smirk on his face and said it felt good. I gave him a high five and told him I was proud of him.

Old 03-13-2019, 07:30 PM
Don't believe the rumors

Originally Posted by GoLowDrew View Post
What are your thoughts on teaching your kids how to fight? There is the easy answer, you teach your kids to defend him/herself, and never be the one that starts it. If your kids get hit, then all bets are off.
Thatís not self defense. Self defense means you donít advance, and you donít take a swing/kick unless they are actively attacking you.

We teach my 2 year never to hit no matter what, because we are not Neanderthals.

For the ďhit him back harderĒ crew, at what age did you first begin instilling this value? Two years old, at the playground, right next to the other kidís mom?
Old 03-13-2019, 07:30 PM
#stillneedsadiaper

Lol have his back. Whe i dont agree with breeding kids into being moops, we lived in a fucked society of moops who will use any angle they can to persecute normal kids. I will teaxh my kids to tell us when other kids/people in general act inappropriately.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.