Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swimming pool experts

Old 12-19-2011, 08:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 Swimming pool experts

I know nothing about pools so educate me.

1. Is maintenance a PITA?
2. Any est on cost of maintenance. Let's just say it's 20X 20.
3. It's a "salt water" pool. I read somewhere that is suppose to reduce maintenance? Do they just mean it used salt instead of chlorine?

4. If a pool have been stagnant for 8+ months, does it take a lot to bring it back to life?
5. How long do pool pumps and other equipment last before it needs maintenance or replacement. The pool is 4+ years old.

One owner I know hates it (the work). One owner I know filled it in with dirt. Just want to know the real deal is.

TIA

Old 12-19-2011, 08:17 AM
My Name is Nobody

Default Re: Swimming pool experts

PITA!
:/thread
Old 12-19-2011, 08:22 AM
GDD Member

There's a pretty sweet pool in the isk thread, I think it's called hidden pool or something. I would look into something like that.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:24 AM
Do it right the first second time!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in4answers.

I'm looking at buying a house with a pool. I can't get a straight answer either. One guy says it's easy as ****. You just dump some chemicals in it every few months. Water/electrical bills didn't go up much. Other dude says it's a PITFA and he regrets owning one every day. PITFA to clean. PITFA to maintain. PITFA to pay for. etc

The fun part of my brain sees me throwing pool parties with tons of topless girls running around and me doing cannonballs and jack knifes into the water and banging girls poolside.

The responsible/boring part of my brain sees me skimming the pool, measuring chemicals, replacing a broken pump, some drunk friend drowning, pulling dead mice from the filter etc.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:25 AM
My Name is Nobody

Originally Posted by MSchu View Post
PITA!
:/thread
Let me qualify this^...

Unless you empty it and skate it!
Old 12-19-2011, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah I hate pools...my house has a pool and the **** got a leak, and it cost like 10k to fix the goddamn thing....then it started leaking again because they half assed the repair...(probably going to be a legal battle soon)
Anyway, we pay like $30 month for a company to come around and handle all the chemicals and stuff. We don't have to do anything except run our Kreepy Krauly now and then. I've lived in the house since 07, and nothing else has broke...the pump should last a pretty long time. We have the salt system as well, but I'm not really sure how that thing works as I don't waste any of my time f-ing with the stupid goddamn pita pool. 30 minutes from f-ing beach, and we need a stupid pool? fuuuuu

I'm not mad though...
Old 12-19-2011, 08:33 AM
Do it right the first second time!

Originally Posted by DragII View Post
yeah I hate pools...my house has a pool and the **** got a leak, and it cost like 10k to fix the goddamn thing....then it started leaking again because they half assed the repair...(probably going to be a legal battle soon)
Anyway, we pay like $30 month for a company to come around and handle all the chemicals and stuff. We don't have to do anything except run our Kreepy Krauly now and then. I've lived in the house since 07, and nothing else has broke...the pump should last a pretty long time. We have the salt system as well, but I'm not really sure how that thing works as I don't waste any of my time f-ing with the stupid goddamn pita pool. 30 minutes from f-ing beach, and we need a stupid pool? fuuuuu

I'm not mad though...
Do you have sweet pool parties with topless girls running around doe?
Old 12-19-2011, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It'll be a pain in the *** until it get all balanced out (pH levels, calcium levels, algae etc). You just have to keep up on it. It only takes maybe 1/2hr a week to maintain.

I used to do maintenance on pools until I moved into concrete pool construction. It's worth it if you use it. Not if you don't use it.

Now the market in California may be different, but around here a pool actually "devalues" your house in a way. Most people who have owned a pool will not own one again. Around here, the "devaluation" of your house with a pool comes by the way of it's harder to sell the house because the market of potential buyers is much smaller.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Chief Brody View Post
Do you have sweet pool parties with topless girls running around doe?
no
Old 12-19-2011, 09:34 AM
Will you make something up for me please?

My neigabors () in the past had pools, and they both filled them in. From what I'm hearing, unless you have the extra funds to hire someone to do a lot of the work, it's not worth the time.

My mom always had a saying, "It's always fun if your friends have a pool, not you." Same thing with a boat.

That being said, I really don't have any first hand experience.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Gustav129 View Post
Now the market in California may be different, but around here a pool actually "devalues" your house in a way. Most people who have owned a pool will not own one again. Around here, the "devaluation" of your house with a pool comes by the way of it's harder to sell the house because the market of potential buyers is much smaller.
Where is here?
Old 12-19-2011, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Pools are a PITA!

It was the best thing in the world when I was a kid and my parents did all the work. Now I wish I could fill the damn thing in. There are some years where it doesn't even get opened.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

1. Depends on location. Is it under a bunch of trees? Then hell yes it's a pita. Do you live somewhere that you have to close it for winter? Then hell yes it's a pita.

2. Do you close it for the winter? No? Couple hundred bucks. Yes? Double that.

3. Sounds like the worst idea ever. Maintenance isn't that expensive to begin with.

4. Not covered in algae? Less than $50 in chemicals and a week of waiting. Covered in algae? Less than $100 in chemicals, countless hours of your time, and a few weeks if waiting.

5. They need yearly thorough cleaning and periodic chemical changes/light cleaning during the season. They have almost no moving parts Our First filter assembly lasted almost 20years.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GoLowDrew View Post
Where is here?
Spokane WA. I've worked on and built pools up here for 2 years. My parents owned a pool while I was in middle school to college (93-00) in Atlanta, and the same idea applies there. I was a life guard in high school. Lots of maintenance on pools for me.

Scrubbing the pool for algae should only take about 15 minutes a day at the most. It's not like you are going to be scrubbing for hours at a time. You just have to have water movement. The areas where you have the worst algae is going to be where the water is not flowing through.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 12-20-2011, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My pool is a lot of upkeep. Though the harsest part is getting the chemistry right from the getgo, it still requires a lot of work.

I don't put standard chlorine products in the pool because they usually contain stabilizer (cyanauric acid) which helps prevent the chloride from decaying in sunlight. Unfortunately CYA is cumulative and your chlorine need to be about 10x your CYA levels for them to be effective. So the best thing to do is to set your CYA level and maintain the Chlorine with bleach. I have a 17k gallon pool and i have to add about 1 gallon of bleach every day. In reality I just dump about 2 gallons every other day. It's best to do it after sunset because the light destroys the chlorine. The bleach shifts the pH more basic so I have to add about a quart of muriatic acid (HCl) once or twice a week. If I let the Chlorine levels get away from me, I have to shock the pool with 6-10 gallons of bleach to kill everything.

On top of this, it requires a weekly brushing during the summer. I also have to empty the skimmer baskets everyday and the pool robot (assuming you have one) once a week or so. If you don't have a robot, you will hate your life as you'll constantly be picking up trash with a net. If you try to vacuum instead of using a leaf rake then you are clogging up your filter. As it is, I have to clean out the filter every couple of months during the summer...more if its dry and there is a lot of dust in the air.

It's cool to have for the couple of times a year when people come over to swim, but the other 360 days of the year, its a PITA for sure.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:48 AM
GDD Moderator

$65 a month. pool guy comes once a week.

i used to spend closer to $100 a month and i had to brush all the walls. best investment evar.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:05 AM
i HAS questions ?

Originally Posted by GoLowDrew View Post
I know nothing about pools so educate me.

1. Is maintenance a PITA?
No, as long as you keep up with it. I worked at a pool store for several years during high school/college. The worst customers were the ones that would come in the day before they were supposed to have a party and their pool looked like a swamp.

My parents run the pump on their pool pretty much constantly from Memorial Day to Labor Day. Keep the water circulating and check the chemical levels on a regular basis.

2. Any est on cost of maintenance. Let's just say it's 20X 20.
Not sure, as you mentioned it is saltwater and I'm not familiar with those types of pools.

3. It's a "salt water" pool. I read somewhere that is suppose to reduce maintenance? Do they just mean it used salt instead of chlorine?
Same as previous.

4. If a pool have been stagnant for 8+ months, does it take a lot to bring it back to life?
Not really. If it has a sand filter, dump the sand and replace it. If its a DE filter, you will want to clean it out. If its cartridge, get a new filter.

There are a few chemical solutions you can buy that kill algae pretty quick with chlorine pools, I'm not sure about salt water though.

5. How long do pool pumps and other equipment last before it needs maintenance or replacement. The pool is 4+ years old.
Bearings or the capacitor usually go out on the pumps.

If you are slightly mechanically inclined, you can repair a pump in under a few hours the first time. The worst part was rusted hardware (in the northeast) from people leaving their pumps out all winter.

One owner I know hates it (the work). One owner I know filled it in with dirt. Just want to know the real deal is.
Its really not that much work as long as you stay on top of things.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

.dave - Basically a slat water pool breaks down the salt in a "chlorine generator" and pulls the chlorine out of salt.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:44 AM
at the jetties fishin'

you let a pool sit stagnant till the water is past the cloudy stage and you start to see green, you may as well just drain it and clean it properly.

salt water systems are nice. they are not harsh on skin/eyes like chlorine pools so you can actually open your eyes under water and not be blind by 8pm haha.

they are a bit more expensive to get the equipment but after that, the salt is cheap.

sand filters need to be backflushed when the pressure starts to go up. Mine was always 10psi and when it would get to 15psi, I'd backflush for 10 minutes or so.

aside from the pump motors themselves, the rest is just piping, etc. mainly passive. If you have multiple pumps and timers etc, all the maintenance is in the motors and electronics. If you have bad cockroaches in your area, periodicaly check your motors/electronics. the roaches will get up in there and fubar stuff real quick. I just kept having to check/clean that stuff to keep the cockroach crap at bay.

try to stay the F away from pools with liners. go gunnite or go home. make sure the floor draw-ins are all on the same pump and with an emergency shut off. too many idiot kids swimming to the bottom and sitting on them and getting their intestines sucked out their ***.

do not plant trees next to your pool and dont put the pool next to a tree if its in ground. yeah the shade is nice but leaves will clog the catches, lines in no time and burn up your pumps. Also, tree roots and inground pools do NOT mix. I had to finally give up on my inground due to a magnolia that kept cracking the side to the point it was impossible to fill in.

cut the magnolia down out of rage and then had to bust up and fill in the pool.

oh well, I have a hot tub now which is even more of a pain in the *** with chemical maintenance haha
Old 12-20-2011, 08:49 AM
i HAS questions ?

Originally Posted by Gustav129 View Post
.dave - Basically a slat water pool breaks down the salt in a "chlorine generator" and pulls the chlorine out of salt.
Ah, ok. Yeah we only dealt with chlorine/bromine.

Originally Posted by stackz View Post
try to stay the F away from pools with liners. go gunnite or go home. make sure the floor draw-ins are all on the same pump and with an emergency shut off. too many idiot kids swimming to the bottom and sitting on them and getting their intestines sucked out their ***.
All of the pools the company that I worked for installed were liner pools. The cost of a gunnite pool was around five times as much (there was/is only one company in that area that does them). In a climate where you can use the pool year round, gunnite makes a lot more sense.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Its actually pretty easy. Salt pools require very little maintenance.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:03 AM
at the jetties fishin'

Originally Posted by .dave View Post
Ah, ok. Yeah we only dealt with chlorine/bromine.

All of the pools the company that I worked for installed were liner pools. The cost of a gunnite pool was around five times as much (there was/is only one company in that area that does them). In a climate where you can use the pool year round, gunnite makes a lot more sense.
were the liner pools properly sealed? also how often did you check the liners?

they are nightmares if not properly installed and 90% of them arent properly installed. They wont be sealed correctly and then the liner leaks, it soaks the blown concrete sidewalls (unless you're talking about the metal above ground pools), then that water sits there until winter and cracks the HELL out of the pool.

hell, even if sealed correctly, the liner will still leak and the water will trap itself down by the draw-ins and or between the liner and the concrete. then you either have to tear out the liner to get at it...or again deal with cracks when it freezes and/or leaks when a kid decides to play with toys in the pool, some idiot tosses a cinder block in to practice their lifeguard skills, etc. ugh, I **** on liner pools.

gunnite w/epoxy pool paint is the best hands down. or hell, just see if there's a company that will do blown and finished concrete and then epoxy it yourself.

fiberglass pools are ok but the second you have a crack, its either done or expensive to fix properly.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:09 AM
i HAS questions ?

Originally Posted by stackz View Post
were the liner pools properly sealed? also how often did you check the liners?

they are nightmares if not properly installed and 90% of them arent properly installed. They wont be sealed correctly and then the liner leaks, it soaks the blown concrete sidewalls (unless you're talking about the metal above ground pools), then that water sits there until winter and cracks the HELL out of the pool.

hell, even if sealed correctly, the liner will still leak and the water will trap itself down by the draw-ins and or between the liner and the concrete. then you either have to tear out the liner to get at it...or again deal with cracks when it freezes and/or leaks when a kid decides to play with toys in the pool, some idiot tosses a cinder block in to practice their lifeguard skills, etc. ugh, I **** on liner pools.

gunnite w/epoxy pool paint is the best hands down. or hell, just see if there's a company that will do blown and finished concrete and then epoxy it yourself.

fiberglass pools are ok but the second you have a crack, its either done or expensive to fix properly.
They had been doing liner pools for over 25 years, so yeah they knew their **** when it came to installation. We also would not sell someone a liner for an inground pool without doing the installation. Above ground is a lot easier to do and pretty hard to screw up.

My parents liner lasted close to 20 years before they finally replaced it. They could have gotten a few more years out of it, but much of the pattern had faded.

The walls on my parents pool are aluminum (inground). A lot of the newer walls that I've seen on inground linear pools are plastic or aluminum.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:33 AM
at the jetties fishin'

aluminum inground pool walls? I guess that definitely does help keep costs down. are they treated somehow? for some reason I dont see aluminum doing to well buried in the ground...well at least in my area where the proximity to salt water is so close.

got out of pool installations back in college so I'm guessing this is something new. are there any size/shape restrictions on these types of walls? I'm assuming no rounded bases and sharper edges compared to gunnite or blown concrete?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Swimming pool experts

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.