Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swatting Conviction!

Old 11-15-2018, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Swatting Conviction!

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/13/u...g-wichita.html.

20-25 year sentence aint enough.

Hope he gets da [email protected] in prison.

A California man pleaded guilty on Tuesday to making dozens of hoax phone calls during which he reported fake crimes, including one high-profile call last year that resulted in another man in Wichita, Kan., being fatally shot by a police officer.

Under a plea agreement, the caller, Tyler Barriss, 25, of Los Angeles, will serve between 20 and 25 years in prison for making the false reports by phone, a practice known as swatting.

Prosecutors say that in addition to initiating the swatting episode in Kansas — where he entered his plea on Tuesday — Mr. Barriss made dozens of other, similar calls to emergency and law enforcement agencies across the country during which he falsely reported bomb threats, active shootings and other criminal activity at high schools, shopping malls and even the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

No one was injured or killed as a result of those calls. It was the Wichita episode — for which Mr. Barriss pleaded guilty to cyberstalking, conspiracy and making a false report resulting in a death — that drew attention to the potentially deadly consequences of swatting. Under the agreement, he also pleaded guilty to dozens of other charges out of California and Washington, D.C., related to swatting.

“Without ever stepping foot in Wichita, the defendant created a chaotic situation that quickly turned from dangerous to deadly,” said Stephen McAllister, the United States attorney for Kansas. “His reasons were trivial and his disregard for the safety of other people was staggering.”

Prosecutors say that on Dec. 28, 2017, two other men, Casey Viner and Shane Gaskill, got in an argument while playing an online video game, and Mr. Viner enlisted Mr. Barriss to swat Mr. Gaskill. Mr. Gaskill, egging them on, provided a false address for his home.

Mr. Barriss called the police in Wichita, telling them that he had killed his father, was holding two family members at gunpoint, had doused his house in gasoline and was contemplating suicide. Police officers arrived at the address they were given, and one fatally shot a fourth man, Andrew Finch, 28, in his doorway after he stepped outside to investigate the commotion and dropped his hands. Mr. Finch, though, had done nothing wrong and did not know about the swatting call.

In April, District Attorney Marc Bennett of Sedgwick County, Kan., said no criminal charges would be filed against the officer who shot Mr. Finch. Mr. Viner and Mr. Gaskill are facing federal charges and are awaiting trial. Mr. Barriss’s sentencing is set for Jan. 30.

Reached by email, Rich Federico, an assistant federal public defender representing Mr. Barriss, declined to comment.

In a 64-page indictment out of California, prosecutors painted Mr. Barriss as a serial swatter who frequently called in fake crimes — sometimes daily — beginning in 2015.

Court records show that he called in bomb threats to high schools across the country in 2015. That October, Mr. Barriss was arrested and sentenced to two years in a California jail for a threat directed at a local ABC station in Glendale, Calif.

When he was released in August 2017, he slipped into the same pattern of behavior, the court documents say. Over a three-month period beginning in late September 2017, he made more than 30 swatting calls: He created fictional murder-suicide plots and schemes he tied to the Islamic State; forced evacuations at an Illinois high school and a Dallas convention center; and a day after the Las Vegas shooting that October, he called the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department, pretending to be a man who had shot his wife in a hotel there and intended to do more harm.

Among his guilty pleas on Tuesday, Mr. Barriss also admitted that he had called in hoax bomb threats to the headquarters of the Federal Communications Commission — the day the agency voted to repeal net neutrality — and to the F.B.I.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:08 AM
eight equals equals equals D

Default Re: Swatting Conviction!

It's Mr Glass.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:09 AM
Imgur Lives Matter

mixed race michael cera
Head Of Bespoke

Get a ******* job. Who gets thrills from this type of ****.
Imgur Lives Matter

I also think that while the kid deserves serious punishment

law enforcement needs some blame of its own for killing innocent people off an anonymous tip
Old 11-15-2018, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 90hatch94dsm View Post

law enforcement needs some blame of its own for killing innocent people off an anonymous tip
damn right.

even though no amount of money will ever fix the issue, the family better get paid out BIG time.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:11 AM

anonymous tip
But is it anonymous if the caller claims to be the perp - instead of someone calling in a tip?
Old 11-15-2018, 08:12 AM
Drunk Wagon Pilot

Yeah nah he deserves to be in prison for life
Imgur Lives Matter

Originally Posted by Tim2179 View Post
But is it anonymous if the caller claims to be the perp - instead of someone calling in a tip?
doesn't change anything
B20 Bhai M.B.B.S

Yeah, that dude should rot... but kinda think there's still plenty of blame to be passed around.

doesn't change anything
But it does.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:13 AM
Imgur Lives Matter

But it does.
what does it change?

if I call from my cell phone and say I'm Tim2179 the police have no choice but to trust me and come shoot you?
Old 11-15-2018, 08:16 AM
816d16 owes me money!

After THIRTY of these calls, and a life lost....20 years seems light. Bury this tool.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:17 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

So we aren't blaming the cops at all? Great
Old 11-15-2018, 08:18 AM
Drunk Wagon Pilot

Originally Posted by TougeRex View Post
So we aren't blaming the cops at all? Great
Of course we are

BUT the cops would never have gotten involved in the first place if it wasn't for this shitbag
Old 11-15-2018, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

But it does.
the police should not shoot until there is a clear threat. which in this case there was not.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:20 AM
GDD Lonely Krew

Guy looks like a total dweeb-douche-nozzle and will be someones biatch when incarcerated. He looks like enough of a poon that this will likely happen in protective custody too. He deserves everything coming to him and society will not miss a beat in his absence. These stupid kids need to put down the controllers, get off their asses and learn how to throw a football or something.

Why people even think this is a fun thing to do is beyond me. Not only are you risking the life of the person you swat but wasting everyones tax dollars and occupying emergency services with your bs. Hopefully this teaches these stupid nerds something

Dam we're all turning into those "in my day...." old people now...
Old 11-15-2018, 08:21 AM
C-A-P-S CAPS CAPS CAPS

This guy looks like he is the one that will be getting the anonymous tip.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:21 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by Pinja View Post
Of course we are

BUT the cops would never have gotten involved in the first place if it wasn't for this shitbag
​​​​​​​true
Old 11-15-2018, 08:25 AM
Video Game Collector

Originally Posted by the_unknown View Post
\
Why people even think this is a fun thing to do is beyond me. Not only are you risking the life of the person you swat but wasting everyones tax dollars and occupying emergency services with your bs. Hopefully this teaches these stupid nerds something
Fair point. He should have also been ordered to pay restitution for all of the time wasted. Add up the hourly labor rates for every single law enforcement official that was involved and he'd probably owe 6 digits in restitution as well. Not that he'd ever pay it but it would act as a deterrent toward future cases too.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:30 AM
Drunk Wagon Pilot

Make him do community service then
Old 11-15-2018, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^
Old 11-15-2018, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Plus pay
Old 11-15-2018, 08:34 AM

what does it change?

if I call from my cell phone and say I'm Tim2179 the police have no choice but to trust me and come shoot you?
yes. I'm dead now, thanks.

Let's put it this way. If you got a call from someone saying your wife is in trouble vs a call from your actual wife saying she's in trouble (hope that never happens btw)... the primary sources has more credibility than the secondary.

I don't know enough about this case, or what exactly cause the officer to fire - and I don't condone it, just putting it out there that the level of "threat" is elevated when the situation was assumed to be legit and called in by the primary source.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:36 AM
Imgur Lives Matter

it wasn't called in by the primary source though

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.