SUV craze- sitting high - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion


General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.

SUV craze- sitting high

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-13-2017, 07:37 PM   #1
Member
Thread Starter
 
GoLowDrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: East Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 88,611
Default SUV craze- sitting high

I understand that feel, when you have a more commanding view of the road. That's why people buy SUVs, trucks, CUVs, etc. Like a Boss feeling no?

So I'm in my Ody the other day in traffic, and could not see in front, left, right, and back. I was surrounded by Rams, F150s, and a few Tacos in the mix. So my question is, with everyone riding higher than they did 10 years ago, we are almost back to square one. Unless your F150 is lifted, you don't have that commanding view no more.
Attached Images
 
GoLowDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 07:38 PM   #2
the new acmoc
 
signalpuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Yoga class, Mena Arkansas
Posts: 1,111
Default Re: SUV craze- sitting high

Women drive SUVs, for many of the reasons you mentioned.
signalpuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 07:42 PM   #3
footwork mastery
 
.Grimace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bigger, Faster, Smarter, Stronger
Posts: 5,462
Default Re: SUV craze- sitting high

I want a crazy gas price spike to get rid of them, well the majority, or tax them way more
.Grimace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 07:46 PM   #4
the new acmoc
 
signalpuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Yoga class, Mena Arkansas
Posts: 1,111
Default Re: SUV craze- sitting high

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Grimace View Post
I want a crazy gas price spike to get rid of them, well the majority, or tax them way more
Why do you hate women doe?
signalpuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 07:48 PM   #5
footwork mastery
 
.Grimace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bigger, Faster, Smarter, Stronger
Posts: 5,462
Default Re: SUV craze- sitting high

lol, I don't but I think it is safe to say most don't need large cars. Get a wagon or minivan for your rats
.Grimace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 07:51 PM   #6
KILLAB17VTEC
 
acmoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,749
Default Re: SUV craze- sitting high

these people iss me, I was almost run over on my bicycle by some ******* . While crossing a light.
you can't see what's 3 feet in front of your bumper.
Especially with white sunglasses and flip flops
acmoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 07:54 PM   #7
rookn00b
iTrader: (2)
 
xtrac1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 5,640
Default Re: SUV craze- sitting high

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLowDrew View Post
I understand that feel, when you have a more commanding view of the road.
I don't understand this feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLowDrew View Post
That's why people buy SUVs, trucks, CUVs, etc. Like a Boss feeling no?
I don't know, I don't know why people over pay for high priced ladder frame garbage.

But the manufacturers love it because high margins on low tech crap.

Ladder frame? I can make that with chop sticks.
xtrac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 08:10 PM   #8
Oracle of GDD
 
Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: a lake in VA
Posts: 11,872
Default Re: SUV craze- sitting high

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Grimace View Post
lol, I don't but I think it is safe to say most don't need large cars. Get a wagon or minivan for your rats
Bigger is better in a crash
Ross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 08:11 PM   #9
-Intl Steve Krew
 
Caoboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Central Valley, CA
Posts: 3,828
Default Re: SUV craze- sitting high

I actually feel a lot higher when driving the CRV to work, compared to the Prius.

One big thing I notice, no overspray on the windshield from other vehicles when it's raining.
​​​​​
yes you feel higher, but I don't feel it's any more visibility.

Other than that, I see no point in commuting in truck/SUV unless you need to.
​​
​​​
Caoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 08:12 PM   #10
Hates Logic
 
bluuu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 418
Default Re: SUV craze- sitting high

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Grimace View Post
I want a crazy gas price spike to get rid of them, well the majority, or tax them way more
I've been saying this for years amigo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
Bigger is better in a crash
Until everything is huge and the physics are just too much to overcome.
bluuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 08:29 PM   #11
Honda-Tech Member
 
revhappy420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Tamuning, GU/CA, USA
Posts: 129
Default Re: SUV craze- sitting high

No to a gas price hike. You know who that affects the most? The poorest among us and 1st generation immigrants that progressives are always thinking they're advocating for.

​​​​Get out of your fuckn bubble and realize there are a lot of single income households with a breadwinner that commutes far distances, esp here in Socal where we had a 14 cent per gallon tax increase this month, and for those in the working class, fuel is one of their highest expenses. There are a lot more sources you can attack with regards to pollution and harming the environment, just stop.

And, I'd also like to add that GLD has the best shower thoughts.
revhappy420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 08:33 PM   #12
the new acmoc
 
signalpuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Yoga class, Mena Arkansas
Posts: 1,111
Default Re: SUV craze- sitting high

Quote:
Originally Posted by revhappy420 View Post
And, I'd also like to add that GLD has the best shower thoughts.
That's subjective.
signalpuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:00 PM   #13
Honda-Tech Member
 
natedawg500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 261
Default Re: SUV craze- sitting high

ummm... I think there's more reasons to have a big vehicle than see the road.

-Same reasons women want a big house. SPACE. Lots of it.
-Fill it with all the kids
-bigger = safer in their mind.
-Far more useful than car.
-more tq/ more HP typically than majority of cars.
-tow ****
-housewifes don't drive much. MPG no care.


We just had a lady a few towns over get killed and her 4 kids. They were in a new Subaru Legacy that got T-boned by a ford ranger (that blew a stop sign) on some country road. If I ever had a child he'd be in the back seat in the middle of a 6" lifted Ram 2500 Mega cab.
natedawg500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:11 PM   #14
Hates Logic
 
bluuu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 418
Default Re: SUV craze- sitting high

Quote:
Originally Posted by revhappy420 View Post
No to a gas price hike. You know who that affects the most? The poorest among us and 1st generation immigrants that progressives are always thinking they're advocating for.

​​​​Get out of your fuckn bubble and realize there are a lot of single income households with a breadwinner that commutes far distances, esp here in Socal where we had a 14 cent per gallon tax increase this month, and for those in the working class, fuel is one of their highest expenses. There are a lot more sources you can attack with regards to pollution and harming the environment, just stop.

And, I'd also like to add that GLD has the best shower thoughts.
40% VAT on anything classified as a truck. Which businesses that need trucks could still write off.

Done. This would even impact things as small as the crosstrek, which has truck plates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedawg500 View Post
ummm... I think there's more reasons to have a big vehicle than see the road.

-Same reasons women want a big house. SPACE. Lots of it. (Men are just as fixated on big wasteful houses as women are. Thanks late stage capitalism/postmodernist thought)
-Fill it with all the kids (A car can handle as many kids as most americans have)
-bigger = safer in their mind. (see post above, it all balances out eventually)
-Far more useful than car. (On a daily basis? LOL. Far bigger PITA to park too, but I know most of the pro-SUV folks wouldn't dream of going to an urban area, they're scary).
-more tq/ more HP typically than majority of cars. (The 510 bhp Range Rover Sport is not much quicker than a 240 bhp 20 year old Honda, yeah a lot of good that gets...the 13 MPG combined is dope too)
-tow **** (Unless you're towing an RV, boat or car; most cars can tow a small trailer with stuff on it. Even my S2000 has a hitch on it for a tiny tire trailer)
-housewifes don't drive much. MPG no care. (Its 2017, everyone works. Everyone works all the damn time.)


We just had a lady a few towns over get killed and her 4 kids. They were in a new Subaru Legacy that got T-boned by a ford ranger (that blew a stop sign) on some country road. If I ever had a child he'd be in the back seat in the middle of a 6" lifted Ram 2500 Mega cab.
I'LL MAKE SURE MY KID SURVIVES TO BE TWELVE BY ENSURING THE WORLD HE GROWS UP TO SEE WILL NOT BE ONE WORTH LIVING IN.
bluuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:11 PM   #15
the new acmoc
 
signalpuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Yoga class, Mena Arkansas
Posts: 1,111
Default Re: SUV craze- sitting high

Sorry to hear.
signalpuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:25 PM   #16
Honda-Tech Member
 
revhappy420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Tamuning, GU/CA, USA
Posts: 129
Default Re: SUV craze- sitting high

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluuu View Post
40% VAT on anything classified as a truck. Which businesses that need trucks could still write off.

Done. This would even impact things as small as the crosstrek, which has truck plates.
Tell me exactly what de incentivizing sales of Subaru Crosstreks and CRV's will do to grow our economy?
They already get reasonable fuel economy.

What is this itch you have of punishing people for their choices if it's what they really need?
revhappy420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:27 PM   #17
Hates Logic
 
bluuu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 418
Default Re: SUV craze- sitting high

Quote:
Originally Posted by revhappy420 View Post
Tell me exactly what de incentivizing sales of Subaru Crosstreks and CRV's will do to grow our economy?
They already get reasonable fuel economy.

What is this itch you have of punishing people for their choices if it's what they really need?
Please tell me who really needs a Crosstrek or a CRV.

Why do you insist on increasing likelihood of fatality for poor folks who can't afford an SUV or truck by surrounding them with these cumbersome, two ton weapons of deathly momentum?
bluuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:35 PM   #18
Honda-Tech Member
 
GIZZ - EXV's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 178
Default Re: SUV craze- sitting high

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLowDrew View Post
So I'm in my Ody the other day in traffic, and could not see in front, left, right, and back. I was surrounded by Rams, F150s, and a few Tacos in the mix. So my question is, with everyone riding higher than they did 10 years ago, we are almost back to square one. Unless your F150 is lifted, you don't have that commanding view no more.
I remember being up north one winter about 10 years ago. I parked at the local pub and commented that I had the smallest truck in the lot, my Yukon with winter tire setup was not small. Of course it always feels safer sitting higher I think because it's easier to see further ahead, and in front of the guy in front of you. I've been driving full size GM trucks and suv's mainly because they are very comfortable and you can move alot of **** and people if needed. With good winter tires an awd denali or 4wd tahoe will go anywhere. The Stereos kick ***, heated seats are nice, being able to listen to movies while you drive is nice, watching while parked is better. I built a smaller 600hp street/strip SUV but I prefer driving my 3/4 ton chev, and the sub 10mpg for a daily driver was too expensive. So I'm now daily driving my EG HB again, haha. The $500 a month I'm saving in gas is going into my car and truck projects!
GIZZ - EXV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:36 PM   #19
Honda-Tech Member
 
revhappy420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Tamuning, GU/CA, USA
Posts: 129
Default Re: SUV craze- sitting high

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluuu View Post
Please tell me who really needs a Crosstrek or a CRV.

Why do you insist on increasing likelihood of fatality for poor folks who can't afford an SUV or truck by surrounding them with these cumbersome, two ton weapons of deathly momentum?
No one needs a car then. It's all relative isn't it? Why don't you give up your car/cars and ride a freakn 250cc moped, you can still take it on the freeway.

Why drive around in a cage that is a lot more deadly to people on 2 wheels, do you really NEED it?
revhappy420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:38 PM   #20
the new acmoc
 
signalpuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Yoga class, Mena Arkansas
Posts: 1,111
Default Re: SUV craze- sitting high

Quote:
Originally Posted by revhappy420 View Post
No one needs a car then. It's all relative isn't it? Why don't you give up your car/cars and ride a freakn 250cc moped, you can still take it on the freeway.

Why are drive around in a cage that is a lot more deadly to people on 2 wheels, do you really NEED it?
49cc here fam. '67 vintage Honda. 40mph tops.
signalpuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:40 PM   #21
-Intl Steve Krew
 
Caoboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Central Valley, CA
Posts: 3,828
Default Re: SUV craze- sitting high

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluuu View Post
Please tell me who really needs a Crosstrek or a CRV.

Why do you insist on increasing likelihood of fatality for poor folks who can't afford an SUV or truck by surrounding them with these cumbersome, two ton weapons of deathly momentum?
Two ton?

Son you better look up the weight of a Megacab.

Also, look up the crash ratings.

Also, beav and cao need crosstreks and crvs.
Caoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:43 PM   #22
Honda-Tech Member
 
revhappy420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Tamuning, GU/CA, USA
Posts: 129
Default Re: SUV craze- sitting high

Quote:
Originally Posted by signalpuke View Post
49cc here fam. '67 vintage Honda. 40mph tops.
69cc beach cruiser here, outlaw AF
Too fast for the bike lane, too shocking for the motorists lulz
revhappy420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:46 PM   #23
-Intl Steve Krew
 
Caoboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Central Valley, CA
Posts: 3,828
Default Re: SUV craze- sitting high

Quote:
Originally Posted by revhappy420 View Post
69cc beach cruiser here, outlaw AF
Too fast for the bike lane, too shocking for the motorists lulz
Twinsies!!!!
Caoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:47 PM   #24
the new acmoc
 
signalpuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Yoga class, Mena Arkansas
Posts: 1,111
Default Re: SUV craze- sitting high

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caoboy View Post
Twinsies!!!!
And you too. Fam.
signalpuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:48 PM   #25
Hates Logic
 
bluuu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 418
Default Re: SUV craze- sitting high

Quote:
Originally Posted by revhappy420 View Post
No one needs a car then. It's all relative isn't it? Why don't you give up your car/cars and ride a freakn 250cc moped, you can still take it on the freeway.

Why drive around in a cage that is a lot more deadly to people on 2 wheels, do you really NEED it?
If it weren't for the idiots in F250, Expeditions & the like I'd commute on an RC390. I still plan on picking one up in spring.

I drive in the one of the smallest, most fuel efficient cars on the market, it is more fuel efficient than a fair few motorcycles. Your slippery slope fallacy could find a better target.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caoboy View Post
Two ton?

Son you better look up the weight of a Megacab.

Also, look up the crash ratings.

Also, beav and cao need crosstreks and crvs.
I was being intentionally light on the statement, I know a megacab is much, much more. They're only driven by truly selfish people.

Beav needs a Crosstrek to make up for his light blue BMW Z3.
bluuu is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:01 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.