Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strongman Competition writeup

Old 06-06-2011, 09:10 AM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strongman Competition writeup

4th Annual Washington's Strongest Apple 2011

I wanted to do a quick little writeup involving my cut for weigh ins, my prep, and my performance from the show.

I signed up for a few PL meets in the past, only to have them be canceled. I got sick of the lack of dynamics in PL so I started training strongman the day after Christmas with a good group of guys. To be a good strongman, you need strong, and I mean strong hips, grip, back, legs, and pressing power. You need to be good at everything if you want to do well, and that's what makes it so fun.

I started training SM at about 260lbs or so, as I had quit conditioning and was focusing on PL mostly. I slowly started adding more conditioning- prowler, tire flips for distance, medleys, etc I started to hover around 250 or so.

Signed up for Washington's Strongest Apple about 1 1/2 months ago and knew I had to compete in the 231 class, as there is no way I could hang with the heavyweights I started eating paleo and adding in some more conditioning and some active recovery cardio days. On Friday, I woke up at 234 lbs. I had to be 231.4 or less to be in the 231 class so I did some jump rope, light jogs, and sweat some water out. I didn't consume any water or food since Thursday evening around 6.

Our trip to Seattle from Vancouver was about 2 1/2 hours. At Fort Lewis, 40 miles from weigh ins, I weighed myself to see how I was looking... 233.0 in shorts and shirt. Crap. I threw on some Dickies pants, hoodie, and blasted my heater and seat heater to sweat off a few lbs. Made weigh ins an hour later at 230.8!

Contest day:
first event, farmer walk. 223lbs in each hand. Gravy, so I thought. I could go 200' in training with this weight....but not with these implements. The handles were slick as ice and the long tubes made them difficult to control. I consider this event a complete failure. I got 86' in 60 seconds with multiple drops. My body and legs were cruising when my hands could hold it....weak grip. I could name multiple excuses but the weight doesn't care. 9th in this event

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34CuTgG2GhE

Second event, keg load and sled drag. Load 180 keg and 200 keg from 40' into sled. Drag sled 80' to line. 60 sec limit. I SMOKED this event in 48 seconds. Only person in entire competition to complete this event Made me happy

Hold the kegs high. Move those feet. Lock your arms. Move them feet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5CXgUUtYeI

Third, 4" deficit 2" axle deadlift. 365lbs reps in 60 seconds. I tied for 3rd with 17. First was 25, second was 20. My back was fine, my grip just gave way. Fun event!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ12Yo8aHFo

Fourth event, yoke walk. By far my LEAST favorite and least practiced event. Carry 655# yoke 80' within 60 seconds. I consider this OK by the fact I crossed the line within time, of 35 seconds. Shouldn't have dropped it though....I think 5th in this event.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBTP8Zeck6M

Last event and the most fun. Keg load to 52" platform. 180, 200, 220, and 250 kegs for time. 60 seconds to complete. I got third, with 40.03 seconds. The last keg, 290, was there for a bonus. This was the HW guys' last keg, but a 5th for us. I HAD this...caught the rubber. No excuse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1unwdotRWY

Think I was 4th or 5th in 231s. Very fun experience and a great show. If you think you feel big and strong, go to a SM show...my word there are some freaks out there!
Old 06-06-2011, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Strongman Competition writeup

nice work evs!

cutting weight must of been hell without food or water
Old 06-06-2011, 09:33 AM
Solbros Owns Me

Sup chin

poooooop

my head asploded

sup keg

290 keg

Old 06-06-2011, 09:34 AM
Solbros Owns Me

Originally Posted by bustdesenuts View Post
nice work evs!

cutting weight must of been hell without food or water

Thanks mayne!

Wasn't too bad. I don't even think I dehydrated myself much...maybe only lost 5-6 lbs of water. I ate a ton and drank a ton after weigh ins and went to sleep at 243lbs
Old 06-06-2011, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice work! Nice write up too!
Old 06-06-2011, 11:51 AM
MEAT PATTY

My bald headed white brotha putting in the business.

Those farmer walks look like a PIA to say the least.
The yolk walk looks like hell also.
Definitely faster on your feet then I thought for a big dude. .
I think I got pretty close to estimate on how many deadlifts you could knock out from the previous thread.
Is your back sore as hell now after doing all that pulling? Your lower lumbars must be brick thick DO WANT.

ps:the caption were funny as ****.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:01 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Originally Posted by goforbroke View Post
My bald headed white brotha putting in the business.

Those farmer walks look like a PIA to say the least.
The yolk walk looks like hell also.
Definitely faster on your feet then I thought for a big dude. .
I think I got pretty close to estimate on how many deadlifts you could knock out from the previous thread.
Is your back sore as hell now after doing all that pulling? Your lower lumbars must be brick thick DO WANT.

ps:the caption were funny as ****.

hahah, yeah man. Fresh shave that morning= silky smooth scalp to catch some raaaayyyyzzz!!

Those handles were 1.5" dia and were slick as ever. If the handles were better I could have killed it...even if I just finished the 160' I would have taken 3rd in LWs...o wells.

And I'm not very big anymore! Hovering 235 or so

Lower back is a little sore...the next day(Sunday), I threw football and ran in the streets of Ravenna in Seattle for about an hour . Legs are still achey, but back is not too bad! Hamstrings cramped up at dinner after the comp...my right leg tweaked 3 times for about 2 minutes each...PAIN!

Thanks, Matt!
Old 06-07-2011, 07:43 AM
MEAT PATTY

Originally Posted by Evs-One View Post
hahah, yeah man. Fresh shave that morning= silky smooth scalp to catch some raaaayyyyzzz!!

Those handles were 1.5" dia and were slick as ever. If the handles were better I could have killed it...even if I just finished the 160' I would have taken 3rd in LWs...o wells.

And I'm not very big anymore! Hovering 235 or so

Lower back is a little sore...the next day(Sunday), I threw football and ran in the streets of Ravenna in Seattle for about an hour . Legs are still achey, but back is not too bad! Hamstrings cramped up at dinner after the comp...my right leg tweaked 3 times for about 2 minutes each...PAIN!

Thanks, Matt!

Yeah that's true we weigh about the same now.....crazy. Are you going to put the weight back on or maintain your current weight? I wondering about your back because I think that would destroy my lower back for a few days if I did all those events.
What exercises are you doing for your lower back besides deadlifting like a manic. Just wondering if I'm leaving something behind.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:14 AM
Solbros Owns Me

Wide box squats, good mornings, chain suspended good mornings, chain suspended wide squats, GHR, stretching, etc...sometimes light straight leg deads and the like.

Don't get me wrong, it was sore after the comp...but playing football and softball the next day didn't help in the recovery department
Old 06-07-2011, 09:48 AM
MEAT PATTY

Originally Posted by Evs-One View Post
Wide box squats, good mornings, chain suspended good mornings, chain suspended wide squats, GHR, stretching, etc...sometimes light straight leg deads and the like.

Don't get me wrong, it was sore after the comp...but playing football and softball the next day didn't help in the recovery department
Yup I don't do any of the above except deadlifts and reverse hyperextensions. I'm just trying to get my lower back stronger so I've been looking at some of things strongmen do. Considering these dudes lower lumbars stick out like slabs of beef on their lower back.
Did box squats last night for the first time basically ever. They are more difficult then I thought but I totally dig them. Yeah I've been lifting for close to 10 years and never did box squats.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Awesome stuff man. I bet you would have done even better without having to lose any last minute water weight. I've had to do that same thing on more than one occasion. One of the times my wife was in the car with me and was miserable LOL.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

beastly! I still need to get my base strength and cardio up b4 I could even attempt something like this. Eventually I would like to try it out tho.
Old 06-12-2011, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's freaking awesome man!!!!
Old 06-13-2011, 07:47 AM
MEAT PATTY

Originally Posted by michael O View Post
beastly! I still need to get my base strength and cardio up b4 I could even attempt something like this.
This type of training will increase your strength and put your cardio through the roof. Running on a treadmill won't prepare you for this type of muscle endurance and conditioning needed.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:52 AM
Solbros Owns Me

Freezy- Yeah, when I cut calories I lose grip strength quick! If you couldn't tell from the vid

Michael- just find some local guys to train with! Or just start lifting and moving with heavy things

Thanks Ricey!

GFB speaks truth
Old 06-13-2011, 05:30 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Truly inspiring!! How tall are you? You certainly dont look like you're 230 lol way more beastly.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:49 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Doc says I'm 6'2 but its more like 6'1 1/4 lol