Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Storing rex for the winter

Old 10-02-2006, 04:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Storing rex for the winter

Well I have decided I am going to store my rex for the winter, however the best I can do is a vacant spot on my mom lawn. What I am wondering is what should I do to prevent the car from getting f**ked up through the winter (we get really bad winters here). I have heard of draining the oil and antifreeze, is this a good idea?

Any tips you guys can provide is much appreciated
Old 10-02-2006, 04:47 AM
I fry gay turkeys

Default Re: Storing rex for the winter (g2tegsown)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by g2tegsown &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well I have decided I am going to store my rex for the winter, however the best I can do is a vacant spot on my mom lawn. What I am wondering is what should I do to prevent the car from getting f**ked up through the winter (we get really bad winters here). I have heard of draining the oil and antifreeze, is this a good idea?

Any tips you guys can provide is much appreciated </TD></TR></TABLE>

Are you serious? LOL, no.. don't drain the fluids. you can CHECK the coolant. Get yourself a cheap tester at the auto parts store just make sure it's good for 30 below zero and you'll be fine. You can also take the battery out and bring it into the basement, and cover it with a good soft car cover, then a tarp. That will keep the snow off of it. Other than that, indoors is best, but you gotta do what you gotta do (just as long as it doesn't involve draining the oil and anti freeze)
Old 10-02-2006, 04:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I thought you said you were storing your ex (as in ex-gf) away for the winter.

I must be really tired
Old 10-02-2006, 05:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Storing rex for the winter (korean)

It will be fine, dont worry about it. Just start it once a week for 5 minutes or so.
May want to put some gas stabalizer in it, and make sure the coolant is okay.

Old 10-02-2006, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Storing rex for the winter (jond)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jond &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It will be fine, dont worry about it. Just start it once a week for 5 minutes or so.

</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 10-02-2006, 06:32 AM
HBK
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Storing rex for the winter (Stew Pidasso)

be a hotshot and park it on cement blocks
Old 10-02-2006, 06:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Storing rex for the winter (HBK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HBK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">be a hotshot and park it on cement blocks </TD></TR></TABLE>

That's how I'd roll (well not roll)
Old 10-02-2006, 06:43 AM

Default Re: Storing rex for the winter (jond)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jond &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It will be fine, dont worry about it. Just start it once a week for 5 minutes or so.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Def put stabilizer in the gas.

Whats the purpose of starting the car once a week? If anything, thats the worst thing to do. Every time your car sits and then starts, the oil drains down into the pan. The longer it sits, the more oil leaks down from the cylinder walls and bearings. Then when you start it, you're excessively wearing everything down because there's no lubricant. A week is more then enough time for the oil to travel down into the pan.

This happened on my dad's '32 Chevy. It sits in my dad's garage, but we'd move it out every few weeks to do something in the garage. After a few years of this, the engine started burning oil like a **** and with only about 15k miles on it.

My suggestion is to not touch the car all winter. Find some articles on storing cars (i'm sure there's a ton on old, antique cars that are stored) and be done with it.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Storing rex for the winter (Honda Hick)

Wait, you're going to store it on the lawn?

It would be better to drive it on days that aren't snowy or when the salt on the roads isn't as bad. Using the car is much better than letting it sit outdoors. Seals, hoses, anything else made of rubber will detoriate or become brittle...we're talking about stuff that is 16-17 years old. It's better to run the car, get the heater going and drive it around to keep everything in good-working order and keep all the parts lubricated.

Now, if that car was going to stay in a garage or at least well-sheltered...then that would be a different story. At the very least, get a good car cover.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:26 AM

Default Re: Storing rex for the winter (Honda Hick)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Honda Hick &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Def put stabilizer in the gas.

Whats the purpose of starting the car once a week? If anything, thats the worst thing to do. Every time your car sits and then starts, the oil drains down into the pan. The longer it sits, the more oil leaks down from the cylinder walls and bearings. Then when you start it, you're excessively wearing everything down because there's no lubricant. A week is more then enough time for the oil to travel down into the pan.

This happened on my dad's '32 Chevy. It sits in my dad's garage, but we'd move it out every few weeks to do something in the garage. After a few years of this, the engine started burning oil like a **** and with only about 15k miles on it.

My suggestion is to not touch the car all winter. Find some articles on storing cars (i'm sure there's a ton on old, antique cars that are stored) and be done with it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats why you drive it every week, not just start it...or at least get the engine up to operating speed. alot of times people dont drive their cars for a week for long periods of time. at school, i dont drive my car until the weekends. so does that mean i might as well just have left it at home, cause im causing irreversible wear on the motor by letting it sit for a week, and then drive it?

i "stored" my car all last year, and my family stored the MG every winter since before i was born. Add fuel stablizer, and start the car every once in a while. thats what ive always done, and its always worked.

and i dont see the point of storing it out on a lawn. even if you cover it with a tarp, it will still be sitting in a giant pile of water (snow) for the entire winter. Just wash it religiously to get the salt of -unless you are just worried about someone loosing control on the ice and sliding into your little 16 year old death trap
Old 10-02-2006, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Try to find out how expensive a carport would be.

I would not recommend storing it outside. But if it is the only option, then I would lay a tarp on some hard ground, drive onto the tarp, lay mothballs all around your car (inside too), this will keep rodents away. Air up your tires to about 50-60 psi (or whatever the maximum rating is on yours. Treat the gas, top off the fluids, change the oil before storing it, and hope for the best.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Storing rex for the winter (VTteg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VTteg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Try to find out how expensive a carport would be.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Much more than a CRX will ever be worth.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Storing rex for the winter (TEXNTHREE)

its really not worth it IMO to store it outside

I guess its better than driving it through winter but its going to get corrosion and such even with a car cover
Old 10-02-2006, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah my choices are either drive it or tarp it. It will be taken off the road for the winter, so I won't be able to drive it around. I was thinking that I would drive it on a tarp, and fold it up as high as I can, then I would cover it with a tarp from the top down. It's only going to be for 6 months, should maybe I change the oil before I drive it again in the spring? Would that fix the "oil issue"?
Old 10-02-2006, 11:13 AM

Default Re: (g2tegsown)

Really do some searches on antique auto web sites or car collector's site. They are going to be much more informative and have much more experience then people on Honda-Tech in storing cars, especially high-end ****/not replaceable vehicles.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.