Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stephan Papadakis Yellow Drag Civic

Old 05-02-2019, 07:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Stephan Papadakis Yellow Drag Civic

This video popped up on my YouTube feed. I'm not really a fan of the Hoonigan channel but thought the video was pretty interesting. It's pretty wild how far import drag racing has come. I mean look at that rear wheel/rotor assembly or the front suspension setup :yikes:

I remember seeing this car in magazines back in the day and thinking of it as some kind of "superhero" car but in reality it was a pretty hodge-podged approach to building an import for drag racing. Pretty cool piece of Honda history. It makes me realize how far the sport has come, especially with all these AWD setups we're seeing now. Wonder what the next big trend for import drag racing will be?

This car right here is an absolute game changer. For the first time in 20 years, legendary racecar builder Stephan Papadakis lifts the front clip of his legendary drag racing Civic for an unprecedented look at everything that made this car tick: the front wheel drive drag racer that blew minds and records. Big thanks to Steph for bringing this fine piece of equipment out to the Donut Garage!
Old 05-02-2019, 07:54 AM
Will you make something up for me please?

Default Re: Stephan Papadakis Yellow Drag Civic

Thought this was one of those "Curated Content" posts.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Next big trend is AWD. Shops are now building these up and running 7's. PPG already came out with a B-Series AWD dogbox gearset. there is a company that has built an AWD billet transfer case and billet bellhousing and the rest is fabricated and I have seen guys who sell kits for the trailing arms and all that.

You also have Speed Factory that run a Billet block and the company that came out with the AWD billet bellhousing/transfer case also came out with a billet b-series head.

I would guess that in a few years you will have a b-series AWD hit 6's.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:58 AM
816d16 owes me money!

I remember seeing Steph testing this car way back in the day before it even had decals on it. Watched this last night and got all nostalgic.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:00 AM
eight equals equals equals D

takes me back - that was the era when I started working in motorsports.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:15 AM
HT Order of Merit

That was a cool video. Amazing how they kind of pioneered a lot of that design.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:21 AM
GLD's Expert

He's a cool guy. I used to drop off parts to him when he got into drifting. I loved his S2000 so much lol
Old 05-02-2019, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AZ_CIVIC View Post
Next big trend is AWD. Shops are now building these up and running 7's. PPG already came out with a B-Series AWD dogbox gearset. there is a company that has built an AWD billet transfer case and billet bellhousing and the rest is fabricated and I have seen guys who sell kits for the trailing arms and all that.

You also have Speed Factory that run a Billet block and the company that came out with the AWD billet bellhousing/transfer case also came out with a billet b-series head.

AWD B series is already here, would be crazy to see a b-series AWD setup run a 6. That's on par with some of the fastest GTRs out today. How much longer before we start seeing AWD K systems in Hondas? I think the proliferation of AWD was a breath of fresh air for the Honda world.

Originally Posted by JDM_Ej View Post
That was a cool video. Amazing how they kind of pioneered a lot of that design.
This. I love the switch for the datalogger, "chips" for redline, etc. I actually had no idea the roof was sectioned so the car had a teardrop shape. Pretty innovative stuff for the import scene back in 1998.

Hoping my old SAFC will be a nostalgic item soon
Old 05-02-2019, 09:59 AM
Swaggylicious

Originally Posted by AZ_CIVIC View Post

YUUP

some local shops are starting to make AWD Kits. My friend's shop Oddysey Fab and S1 Built are making some really nice billet kits

I have yet to see an AWD K kit. I guess you need the diff from a 3rd gen AWD CRV?
Old 05-02-2019, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tron_ View Post
AWD B series is already here, would be crazy to see a b-series AWD setup run a 6. That's on par with some of the fastest GTRs out today. How much longer before we start seeing AWD K systems in Hondas? I think the proliferation of AWD was a breath of fresh air for the Honda world.

This. I love the switch for the datalogger, "chips" for redline, etc. I actually had no idea the roof was sectioned so the car had a teardrop shape. Pretty innovative stuff for the import scene back in 1998.

They have K swapped Civics/Integra's that are AWD already and those are the faster ones because you can utilize FWD PPG gearsets in those AWD transmissions. B-Series was an issue because our FWD PPG gearsets did not work in the AWD trans. However they now have the gearsets available for B-Series AWD but they are about 9,300 dollars for the gearset alone.

A few shops out there are mid 7's AWD so I could see a few years from now a race to 6's for those guys.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:17 AM
Swaggylicious

I wonder what kind of driveshafts and rear axles these guys are using

the stock AWD rear axles are tiny af no?
Old 05-02-2019, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I was surprised by how many stock/stockish parts were on the car (radiator/TB/head studs )
Old 05-02-2019, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My buddy sent that video in our group chat. Talk about taking us back. So many innovations that paved the way for where we are now.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Gold Member

Dang. Havenít heard that name in awhile. I used get some work done by him and Viet at Honda Pro. They talked me out of boosting my daily. Also scored me a sweet Type R tranny.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ford9n View Post
I was surprised by how many stock/stockish parts were on the car (radiator/TB/head studs )
Yeah, I was also surprised at the number of domestic parts that found their way onto the car. In retrospect it makes sense to borrow from the domestic community since import drag racing was in its infancy, but still weird to see today.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What amazes me about the awd kits is how all of a sudden wagovan RT4wd stuff all of a sudden just shot up in value and how many of the parts still seem to exist nearly 30 years later. I would have thought most would have been crushed or rusted all out and become unobtainium
Old 05-02-2019, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by aw614 View Post
What amazes me about the awd kits is how all of a sudden wagovan RT4wd stuff all of a sudden just shot up in value and how many of the parts still seem to exist nearly 30 years later. I would have thought most would have been crushed or rusted all out and become unobtainium
Man, fully custom AWD kits are a dime a dozen now too. It seems like I saw people hacking up wagovan parts one week and buying custom trailing arm kids, subframes, etc. the next. Crazy how fast the Honda aftermarket works.

I heard Hasport is going to be coming out with a fully bolt on AWD kit by the end of the year :yikes:
Old 05-02-2019, 12:17 PM
HT Order of Merit

Yeah, I was also surprised at the number of domestic parts that found their way onto the car. In retrospect it makes sense to borrow from the domestic community since import drag racing was in its infancy, but still weird to see today.
His explanation makes sense. Most of the companies that were making parts at that time were new and most were not of great quality. Stick with OEM as much as you can.
Old 05-02-2019, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Man, fully custom AWD kits are a dime a dozen now too. It seems like I saw people hacking up wagovan parts one week and buying custom trailing arm kids, subframes, etc. the next. Crazy how fast the Honda aftermarket works.

I heard Hasport is going to be coming out with a fully bolt on AWD kit by the end of the year :yikes:
That's interesting, I know they were developing the mounts for it but didn't know they were making any type of kits.
Old 05-02-2019, 12:44 PM
been there done that

Originally Posted by $amGD3 View Post
I wonder what kind of driveshafts and rear axles these guys are using

the stock AWD rear axles are tiny af no?
The stock stuff can hold quite a bit of power. My buddy has been doing awd conversions for almost 10 years using the stock stuff. I'm sure the big power guys are using custom tho.
Old 05-02-2019, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by doood View Post
The stock stuff can hold quite a bit of power. My buddy has been doing awd conversions for almost 10 years using the stock stuff. I'm sure the big power guys are using custom tho.
DSS will make custom drive shafts and axles if you want to spend money.
Old 05-02-2019, 01:36 PM
Tickle-shits

Man, I just blinked and was back in my early teens, god I miss the old import scene.
Old 05-02-2019, 01:57 PM
Touching My Member

That NADS guy is ******* annoying, he kept trying to finish Steph's sentences.
Old 05-02-2019, 06:38 PM
I took way too long

oh damn im gonna watch this - thanks for sharing! im glad he still has it.

also this

Old 05-02-2019, 11:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I remember downloading that video off super Honda. I think I still have that computer console that has that video in it.
That car was ******* badass. I remember going to NIRA Seattle 99 or 2000 and waiting in line to get in and Stephan was passenger in a truck that drove by into the racetrack. We were freaking out knowing he was there. We only knew of him from pictures we saw in magazines and dial up web surfing.
I don't remember him having the yellow civic with him.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.