Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sli Questions: im a nub

Old 03-05-2006, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sli Questions: im a nub

ok so i have a evga 6600GT pci-e and evga's website says its sli. now my question is what do i need to have to utilize sli? does utilizing sli require anything from my mobo? will my mobo need to have some sort of sli thingy thang too? please excuse my pc hardware iliteracy but 6600gt's are fairly cheap now and id like a performance upgrade. so any help is appreciated thanks in advance
Old 03-05-2006, 10:03 PM
Founding Member

Default Re: Sli Questions: im a nub (JRizEJ6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JRizEJ6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok so i have a evga 6600GT pci-e and evga's website says its sli. now my question is what do i need to have to utilize sli? does utilizing sli require anything from my mobo? will my mobo need to have some sort of sli thingy thang too? please excuse my pc hardware iliteracy but 6600gt's are fairly cheap now and id like a performance upgrade. so any help is appreciated thanks in advance </TD></TR></TABLE>

For SLI you will need an SLI MoBo, basically a MoBo running the Nvidia Nforce 4 SLI Chipset which has 2 PCIe Video Card slots. You will also need a beefier PSU which can handle both Vid cards plus your other components and 2 Vid cards of the same GPU Ex: 2 6600's 2 6600GT's 2 7800GT's etc. You can't mis a 6600 and a 6800 or a 7800GT and 7800GTX.

On the 6600 some have an SLI Bridge on them some dont. the SLI Bridge is a small cable that plugs onto the PCB of each card in the computer connecting the two cards. The 6600 series also do not have Power plugs on them so you will have to make sure to connect power to the molex plug on the Mobo near the vid cards which will provide them with the extra power they will need.
Old 03-05-2006, 10:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Sli Questions: im a nub (Mike M)

^^exact info i was looking for. mike m to the rescue! thanks
Old 03-06-2006, 09:05 AM
Founding Member

NP any questions feel free to ask.

BTW You can use different companies for your 2 cards Ex: eVGA and XFX and you can even use 2 speeds of cards like an OC model and regular but your best bet is 2 closely matched cards.
Old 03-06-2006, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mike M &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">NP any questions feel free to ask.

BTW You can use different companies for your 2 cards Ex: eVGA and XFX and you can even use 2 speeds of cards like an OC model and regular but your best bet is 2 closely matched cards.</TD></TR></TABLE>
good to know. but i still need to change my mobo. do you have any suggestions?
Old 03-06-2006, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JRizEJ6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">good to know. but i still need to change my mobo. do you have any suggestions?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Asus A8N-SLi Premium - rock solid outta the box.

Or you could spend more money on the A8N32. Mike uses this board. How were your experiences with this board, Mike?

P.S. I don't overclock. This seems to be a sticking point for people who do and are considering the Asus mobo. If you're looking to OC, the DFI boards seem to be a popular recommendation.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:45 PM
Founding Member

Default Re: Sli Questions: im a nub (EE_Chris)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EE_Chris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Or you could spend more money on the A8N32. Mike uses this board. How were your experiences with this board, Mike?

P.S. I don't overclock. This seems to be a sticking point for people who do and are considering the Asus mobo. If you're looking to OC, the DFI boards seem to be a popular recommendation.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Contrary to what some say the 7xxx series cards do use the full 16x pathway so with most of the SLI boards out there like the A8N-SLI you lose some bandwidth since in SLI mode it splits the single 16x lane to 2 8x lanes. Plus the newer Nvidia Cards will take even more advantage of the double 16x Bandwidth featured in SLI16x MoBo's.

That said I love my A8N32-SLI, I've had one or two driver problems but mostly were a problem due to my DL'ing Beta Drivers or messing with a setting. So far only Gigabyte, Abit and Asus have Intel or AMD SLIx16 MoBo's out but DFI supposedly has one in the works. Out of whats available right now I'd go with either the Asus or Gigabyte boards, Asus being my 1st pick.

Cliffs: Go SLIx16 as it will support cards coming out down the lines where as regular SLI boards will limit them and the SLI16 MoBo's are only about 30-50 more than their reg SLI counterparts.
Old 03-06-2006, 11:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok so how exactly do i change my mobo? i mean is it just plug and play or will i need to install all kinds of drivers and reformat all kinds of stuff?
Old 03-07-2006, 04:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Sli Questions: im a nub (EE_Chris)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EE_Chris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

P.S. I don't overclock. This seems to be a sticking point for people who do and are considering the Asus mobo. If you're looking to OC, the DFI boards seem to be a popular recommendation.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Asus rocks! there are multiple utilities on the MB cd that allow you to OC without getting in to the BIOS to mess with things (although thats still the failproof way..) Utilities also on the cd allow for you to easily mess with memory timing and voltage....and you thought tuning was only for your honda i have no complaints at all with my board, i moved to Asus from DFI and MSI, both boards failed me after heavy gaming (FEAR)
Old 03-07-2006, 04:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JRizEJ6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok so how exactly do i change my mobo? i mean is it just plug and play or will i need to install all kinds of drivers and reformat all kinds of stuff?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep. Even if there were another way, I wouldn't be taking it. Start fresh.

Are you unsure of exactly what to do? Have you done a reformat and reinstall of Xp before? It's cake...
Old 03-07-2006, 04:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

although...there are ways to do it without reinstalling xp....

http://forums.overclockersclub....html

just ran across that, i didnt know it could be done.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:45 AM

so your saying the asus a8n-sli deluxe only uses one pci-e slot or 2 at only 8x in sli mode? and not 16x and 16x? im curious because i have that mobo and all my goodies sittin here waitin to be put together.
Old 03-13-2006, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EK9-Stealth)

Yes, the Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe and Premium split the x16 lane into two x8 lanes when running SLi. The Asus A8N32-SLi is the true dual x16 lane board.

I run a Premium and 2 7800GTX's and it's not something that I'm concerned about for the time being.
Old 03-13-2006, 12:41 PM

well my friend and i got the same setup except his is up and mine is in boxes. we have the deluxe board running a 6600gt @ 128mb ddr3. He said with one card, he gets 100fps with ease on HL2. Thats only with one card. Im thinkin about upgrading to a 6600gt but with 256mb, possible 2 runnin sli. So my question is, is it the same to run 1 256mb on one pci-e slot and 2 128 SLi? I assume 1 card = 16x and SLi = 8x per slot.
Old 03-13-2006, 01:21 PM
Founding Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EK9-Stealth &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So my question is, is it the same to run 1 256mb on one pci-e slot and 2 128 SLi? I assume 1 card = 16x and SLi = 8x per slot.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not exactly, Memory wise? Yes. Other than that? No. Having 2 128's in SLI will be faster as you have 2 GPU's doing the work vs 1 GPU.

As far as the 8x 16x speed it doesn't matter unless your running a 7xxx series card as they are the 1st ones to take full advantage of the x16 bandwidth. The 6000 series don't use the full speed of the Bus.
Old 03-13-2006, 01:23 PM
[HT] Black Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EK9-Stealth &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well my friend and i got the same setup except his is up and mine is in boxes. we have the deluxe board running a 6600gt @ 128mb ddr3. He said with one card, he gets 100fps with ease on HL2. Thats only with one card. Im thinkin about upgrading to a 6600gt but with 256mb, possible 2 runnin sli. So my question is, is it the same to run 1 256mb on one pci-e slot and 2 128 SLi? I assume 1 card = 16x and SLi = 8x per slot.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If I were you, I would get a 7600gt(or two if you want sli), its only a little bit more then the 256 6600gts and it is much faster.
Old 03-13-2006, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Jriz, just so you know. SLI does not mean you double the performance. There is overhead involved. Based on price/performance SLI is only really useful when you buy the fastest cards available since there isn't a single card available that is faster. In other words, don't bother with 2 6600gt's in sli. If you want to upgrade grab an x850xt for under $200, it will be much faster than 2 6600gt's in sli and it will cost less than a new motherboard and another 6600gt. If you wanna step it up to spending close to $300 you can get a 7800gt and be even faster.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:44 PM

thats right, i didnt even think about 2 gpus.. each gpu processing half the screen...