Should English Proficiency Be a Requirement for Citizenship? - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Go Back  Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion > Community Forums > General Discussion and Debate
Reload this Page >

Should English Proficiency Be a Requirement for Citizenship?

General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
View Poll Results: Should English proficiency be required for citizenship?
YES
46.88%
NO
53.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Should English Proficiency Be a Requirement for Citizenship?

Old 08-08-2018, 06:35 AM
Grandpa

Default Should English Proficiency Be a Requirement for Citizenship?

Should English proficiency be a requirement of citizenship?
Old 08-08-2018, 06:36 AM
GDD's Dr. Phil?

Default Re: Should English Proficiency Be a Requirement for Citizenship?

Yes.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:38 AM
Oracle of GDD

Why not?
Old 08-08-2018, 06:40 AM
C-A-P-S CAPS CAPS CAPS

Yes. There should not be any language exceptions for the citizenship tests. And not to veer off topic, but the same should apply for driver's license tests.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:40 AM
Imgur Lives Matter

Sure,

lets make all the citizens take the test too since we now have no problem revoking legal status
Old 08-08-2018, 06:41 AM
Drunk Wagon Pilot

Si
Old 08-08-2018, 06:42 AM
Head Of Bespoke

Citizenship? No.

If you want to drive and have a license , yes. If you cant understand english then that means you cant understand traffic signs etc and are a safety hazard.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Pinja View Post
Si

Old 08-08-2018, 06:45 AM
GDD's Dr. Phil?

Originally Posted by 90hatch94dsm View Post
Sure,

lets make all the citizens take the test too since we now have no problem revoking legal status
Have you seen a citizenship test? I looked it over when my father took his about 20 years ago, and if it's the same test, I'm positive half of us here fail it.
Drunk Wagon Pilot

Noooooo lo siento mi hombre
Imgur Lives Matter

exactly...
Old 08-08-2018, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hmmm, so a person is born into a Hispanic neighborhood in the U.S.A.; speaks nothing but Spanish until he or she gets into school, and yet they are citizens. But it sounds like some of y'all are saying someone who speaks Spanish shouldn't be able to become a citizen until they learn English to a certain level of competency? No, not buying.

As for the driver's license comment, not buying that either. I've driven in lots of countries where I do not speak their language, even a little, and yet I have no such an issue driving over there. Do you really think a person who cannot speak English cannot drive?

The above said, I actually like living in a multi-lingual/multi-cultural/multi-ethnic world.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:47 AM
talks to himself

Originally Posted by Rguy View Post

If you want to drive and have a license , yes. If you cant understand english then that means you cant understand traffic signs etc and are a safety hazard.
I don't speak english I can't understand these signs!

Write these god damn arrows in Polish, please!

Old 08-08-2018, 06:51 AM
Head Of Bespoke

Im talking about these signs. It's also should be a requirement because if you get pulled over and cant understand what the officer is saying, thats just an issue to me. It has nothing to do with being able to drive but more along the same reason why ALL PILOTS must speak english no matter what country they are flying in. It's a safety thing.

Old 08-08-2018, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by shipo View Post
Hmmm, so a person is born into a Hispanic neighborhood in the U.S.A.; speaks nothing but Spanish until he or she gets into school, and yet they are citizens. But it sounds like some of y'all are saying someone who speaks Spanish shouldn't be able to become a citizen until they learn English to a certain level of competency? No, not buying.

As for the driver's license comment, not buying that either. I've driven in lots of countries where I do not speak their language, even a little, and yet I have no such an issue driving over there. Do you really think a person who cannot speak English cannot drive?

The above said, I actually like living in a multi-lingual/multi-cultural/multi-ethnic world.
I agree with both here. I've driven in other countries in which I wasn't proficient in that language. I think that the fact that they have signs that are internationally and "commonly" known as what helped me to drive there . I think that the signs here in America could use a bit of adjustment so that many people of different languages can drive more safely .

think about interior ergonomics of cars from 30 years ago as opposed to today. Today, you have more symbols and caricatures to denote what button functions are which, as opposed to actual abbreviated words and unknown acronyms that were used in cars 30 years ago. Which do you think was easier to follow? The symbols, or the abbreviated unexplained words ?

In a global market, and a high legalized world, it's these understood symbols that circumvent unabbreviated words that dominate the market now
Old 08-08-2018, 06:53 AM
Grandpa

Some time back, international agreements standardized some kinds of traffic signs to make it possible for you to drive without necessarily understanding the native language.

The *word* on the sign might be different. The point down sign means "yield" but the words might say "Give Way."

Before signs were standardized, the sign might have said "YIELD Right of Way," which caused problems because Anglophone aliens would believe that the sign was *giving* them the right of way.

0_o
Old 08-08-2018, 06:53 AM
talks to himself

Good save.

Old 08-08-2018, 06:54 AM
Grandpa

Im talking about these signs. It's also should be a requirement because if you get pulled over and cant understand what the officer is saying, thats just an issue to me. It has nothing to do with being able to drive but more along the same reason why ALL PILOTS must speak english no matter what country they are flying in. It's a safety thing.
There are local ordinances that require percentages of Spanish speakers in local police forces, but the last I heard there was nothing that made a station have a percentage of VSP speaking Spanish. It's still a problem even in Fairfax and Arlington.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:57 AM
talks to himself

I hear more eastern European dialects on a daily basis than Spanish but I love how the conversation immediately deviates to MEXICANS!!!!
Old 08-08-2018, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It has nothing to do with being able to drive but more along the same reason why ALL PILOTS must speak english no matter what country they are flying in. It's a safety thing.
Bad analogy. I am a pilot; being able to talk to ATC, or communicate with other pilots at uncontrolled fields is absolutely essential for safety. While one is driving you should virtually never be talking with the local constabulary, and generally speaking, the only communications most folks have with other drivers are either a wave or flash to indicate they can "go first", or the middle finger to tell them they are jerks; neither of those two require English.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:00 AM
Prairie Dog Breeder

To some extent that means fitting in, and I think that is a fair requirement. That said, I do think over half the people in here and a much higher percentage outside would fail the current U.S. citizenship test. Then again, I have no idea why anyone would become a citizen here given all of the other countries out there which seem far, far more welcoming.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:01 AM
GDD's Dr. Phil?

It's less about driving to me and more about community. Mixing cultures and ways of life REQUIRES communication. If we can't speak to each other, it doesn't serve either agenda.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:01 AM
Head Of Bespoke

Originally Posted by shipo View Post
Bad analogy. I am a pilot; being able to talk to ATC, or communicate with other pilots at uncontrolled fields is absolutely essential for safety. While one is driving you should virtually never be talking with the local constabulary, and generally speaking, the only communications most folks have with other drivers are either a wave or flash to indicate they can "go first", or the middle finger to tell them they are jerks; neither of those two require English.
If you think it's ok for drivers to not understand roads signs (like i posted above) and not be able to understand what police are trying to communicate to them, then we just have a different opinion on the matter.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am on the fence with this one, or should I say wall, JKJKJKJK

I see it go both ways with me wife's family, some don't even care of want to know/learn English.
Some try their hardest, etc and adapt to the culture, others refuse to.

I don't think it should be a requirement because I feel like it is human nature to want to know and understand ones surroundings but I guess that misses some people.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by CX-Adam View Post
I hear more eastern European dialects on a daily basis than Spanish but I love how the conversation immediately deviates to MEXICANS!!!!
I don't believe "Mexicans" were referenced, errr, except by you. The fact is, the second most common "first language" in the U.S.A. is Spanish. Maybe not in your neighborhood, but overall Spanish is spoken more than twice as much all other non-English languages combined; hence my reference to Spanish.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.