Seattle Oks Tax on companies like Amazon to help homeless - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Go Back  Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion > Community Forums > General Discussion and Debate
Reload this Page >

Seattle Oks Tax on companies like Amazon to help homeless

General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.

Seattle Oks Tax on companies like Amazon to help homeless

Old 05-15-2018, 06:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Seattle Oks Tax on companies like Amazon to help homeless

Just reading some stories on Google this morning and read this story about a new Tax on Seattle companies making more than 20 million dollars that they will have to pay a $275 dollar head tax per employee they have working. For example Amazon with 45k workers would have to pay 12 million in taxes to the city each year to help pay for homeless housing and other benefits.

Thoughts? Do you think companies that make 20 million plus a year should have to pay for the homeless problems of the city?

Link to full story:Seattle OKs tax on companies like Amazon to help homeless - Chicago Tribune

"Seattle's largest businesses such as Amazon and Starbucks will have to pay a new tax to help fund homeless services and affordable housing under a measure approved by city leaders.The City Council unanimously passed a compromise plan Monday that taxes businesses making at least $20 million in gross revenues about $275 per full-time worker each year — lower than the $500 per worker initially proposed. The so-called "head tax" would raise roughly $48 million a year to build new affordable housing units and provide emergency homeless services.The debate over who should pay to solve a housing crisis exacerbated by Seattle's rapid economic growth comes after weeks of tense exchanges, raucous meetings and a threat by Amazon, the city's largest employer, to stop construction planning on a 17-story building near its hometown headquarters.

Amazon, Starbucks and business groups sharply criticized the council's decision after Monday's vote. They called it a tax on jobs and questioned whether city officials were spending current resources effectively. One state Republican leader said he would seek legislation next year to make clear that a city tax on employees, wages or hours is illegal."
Old 05-15-2018, 06:57 AM
Swaggylicious

Default Re: Seattle Oks Tax on companies like Amazon to help homeless

wtf
Old 05-15-2018, 07:01 AM
Sensational

Considering how much their company has ruined the real estate out there, good.

The warehouse workers **** in bottles in lieu of a bathroom break, Amazon can sit on it
Old 05-15-2018, 07:05 AM
Swaggylicious

im not against taxing

but taxing to help the homeless?? i was not aware these large companies were the direct reason for homelessness
Old 05-15-2018, 07:12 AM
GDD's Dr. Phil?

I'd normally be against something like this, but Jeff Bezos is a ******* creepy *** hole, so.... good.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The problem I see here is that even a company that makes 20 million a year is charged this tax. 20 million dollars a year to me is a smaller company not even comparable to a company like Amazon and Starbucks.

Also this is just the start or like city council members said, "this is just a down payment" they wanted a $500 dollar tax per employee but said they were settling for $275 right now. Again these are the starts of slippery slopes in my opinion because what's next any company that makes 1 million and how long before even regular individuals are charged a tax?
Old 05-15-2018, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't see a problem. They probably receive way more than 12 million in tax breaks per year already. Seattle is just offsetting a less than favorable deal which they thought was perfect in the beginning for the city. Having a company like Amazon is great for a city if managed responsibly e.g. rent control laws, affordable housing allocation, etc.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:24 AM
GDD's Dr. Phil?

Originally Posted by Allurian View Post
I don't see a problem. They opeprobably receive way more than 12 million in tax breaks per year already. Seattle is just offsetting a less than favorable deal which they thought was perfect in the beginning for the city. Having a company like Amazon is great for a city if managed responsibly e.g. rent control laws, affordable housing allocation, etc.
I don't like rent control, it punishes the people who've invested in the city. Better would be some tax breaks, and deregulation for developers. Get rid of a park or two, and within a couple of years, you'll have more housing than residents, that'll keep rent in check.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by $amGD3 View Post
wtf
WTF indeed...
Old 05-15-2018, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by oneludesol View Post
I don't like rent control, it punishes the people who've invested in the city. Better would be some tax breaks, and deregulation for developers. Get rid of a park or two, and within a couple of years, you'll have more housing than residents, that'll keep rent in check.
Rent control doesn't punish developers. New construction can generally have whatever rent they want. It keeps existing tenants from having their rent raise more than a certain percentage per year. City planning is more involved than getting "rid of a park or two". Long term effects on the utility grid have to be considered as well as the livability of a city. More apartments doesn't check rent and never will. Apartments follow the need for housing, not the other way around. If a housing development is going up it's because there is an anticipated shortage so there would be no reason to cut prices.

Long story short, Seattle gambled with an unknown corporate entity and now are feeling the after effects both positive and negative. They are now trying to rectify the situation. Seattle, San Fran, NY...all theses locations have housing cost that are not sustainable. Even the employees of the tech firms can hardly afford the costs.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

To me if rent is too expensive to the point where you would have to be homeless and sleep on the street why not move to a cheaper part of town or another city within Washington. Some of the biggest problems with cities and states is the money they waste on BS like the below: How about if homeless is a huge problem the million spent on a vehicular flywheel and spend it on the homeless instead of wasting money and then taxing companies to pay for the states problems.

" Sen. Patty Murray (D., Washington), another member of the committee, who helped secure $373 million in earmarks for her state. This includes $1 million for a “vehicular flywheel project” that benefits a Seattle alternative energy firm. In fact, Seattle alone gets more than the combined amount for 22 states."
Old 05-15-2018, 07:55 AM
GDD's DJ EX-M0D

Can't afford to pay rent that's sky rocketed over night?

Solution: Use the money you don't have to put a deposit and first and last months rent somewhere else, pay for moving expenses, and expenses incurred from your now longer commute.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:56 AM
Tickle-shits

This is an overreach by Seattle to fund their own agenda, it’s absolutely outrageous. You are literally taxing a company for employing people. Wouldn’t expect much less from a city with “safe drug use zones” and such.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:00 AM
Sensational

Often times the homeless are those who were previously living in the neighborhood but were on the edge.

I used to feel a little cheesed when someone is paying $400mo for an apartment in a nice part of town, but I’d rather have them there, in a safe area that has services, rather than a fucked up part of town where 911 will not show up.

Old 05-15-2018, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 816d16 View Post

Solution: Use the money you don't have to put a deposit and first and last months rent somewhere else, pay for moving expenses, and expenses incurred from your now longer commute.
Can't pay rent but have Netflix, iWatches, iPhones, brand new cars, cable etc.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:16 AM
#stillneedsadiaper

Originally Posted by AZ_CIVIC View Post
To me if rent is too expensive to the point where you would have to be homeless and sleep on the street why not move to a cheaper part of town or another city within Washington. Some of the biggest problems with cities and states is the money they waste on BS like the below: How about if homeless is a huge problem the million spent on a vehicular flywheel and spend it on the homeless instead of wasting money and then taxing companies to pay for the states problems.

" Sen. Patty Murray (D., Washington), another member of the committee, who helped secure $373 million in earmarks for her state. This includes $1 million for a “vehicular flywheel project” that benefits a Seattle alternative energy firm. In fact, Seattle alone gets more than the combined amount for 22 states."
**** YOU. I want to be able to work at mcdonalds and live in a nice part of san francisco.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:17 AM
Sensational

Oh no, someone is spending $12 on Netflix when they should save for a down payment on a house

theres been an eqaulity of consumption for over a decade, get over it
Old 05-15-2018, 08:18 AM
Imgur Lives Matter

avacado toast!
Old 05-15-2018, 08:21 AM
#stillneedsadiaper

and convenience store grocery shopping and bastard kids with deadbeat dads and getting your hair did and long *** fake nails and butt implants
Old 05-15-2018, 08:22 AM
Cogent Argument Enthusiast

So you're saying gigantic businesses that treat their employees like **** and exist only to make a few men rich beyond comprehension, on the backs of countless humans, should be given a flat tax some ******* tax lawyer can't dodge, to assist those left out on the street by merciless tyrant business owners who employ as few as possible to sacrifice quality and working conditions for moar profit? It's a good start.

It always did confuse me why a country that humps the leg of capitalism, and is even willing to displace millions of Americans for aliens, wants nothing to do with taking care of those left out/behind...especially when such a large portion of homeless are men who fought for our petrodollar and are fucked in the head because of it.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:23 AM
Imgur Lives Matter

Poor people taking advantage of the system are awful and evil

Rich people taking advantage of the system are smart and respectable
Old 05-15-2018, 08:23 AM
#stillneedsadiaper

Originally Posted by 816d16 View Post

Old 05-15-2018, 08:31 AM
BCICAN

I can't wait for Amazon to move and let the people of Seattle have no job at all. If I were the CEO I'd already have cost analysis and this in the works. Do it Amazon!
Old 05-15-2018, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by CBXweb View Post

Oh no, someone is spending $12 on Netflix when they should save for a down payment on a house

theres been an eqaulity of consumption for over a decade, get over it
You work at Walmart and make $10 bucks an hour, yet I see you wearing an iWatch, texting on your iPhone X but I hear complaining about not having money for rent as you drive your pretty new car around. It's all about priorities.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:32 AM
#stillneedsadiaper

Originally Posted by Dunc View Post
I can't wait for Amazon to move and let the people of Seattle have no job at all. If I were the CEO I'd already have cost analysis and this in the works. Do it Amazon!
srs. if the people are bitching about how bad it is, move amazon to a more rural area. **** em.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.