Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scary Day

Old 07-06-2009, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Scary Day

Today I was at my friends house who is also a member on this site(ryanevansoh). He has been finishing his swap and has been fine-tuning the idle and such. I went over today and we were gonna get it running good.

We noticed the o2 sensor wasn't hooked up so had to get that done. It needed to be soldered since we needed a different clip to go with the harness.

My friend jacked the car up with his scissor jack since the hydraulic doesn't fit. As he was getting under the car, I noticed the car start to sway and fall on his head. He is the type who always uses jack stands and puts car chalks in the back, but I guess he forgot to since we were doing so many things at once.

The frame pinned his face on the ground and he couldn't move to get out. I ran to the left fender and pulled up hard hoping he'd be able to get out but I don't think I pulled up hard enough.

I was thinking to myself that if I pull too hard if the fender would get messed up but then knew that his life was worth more than a car fender and pulled up as hard as I could and it was just barely enough for him to slide out from underneath the car.

He was conscious, but not totally there yet really calm. There was blood coming from his right ear, nose and his mouth. His left eye was really swollen so he couldn't see and had no hearing in his right ear.

I called 911 since his parents were all out and I was the only one there. The ambulances didn't even take 5 minutes to get there and had him ready to go to the hospital.

There they found out that his skull was cracked in multiple places and he had to be airlifted to washington's biggest hospital in Seattle, harborview. They said that if the car were to be on him for 5 minutes longer that he would have died. Thankfully the car was only on him for about 20 seconds, which still must have been even scarier for him

He's going to be there for a little while but I hope this will remind you all not to forget the jackstands.

I know I will never forget them again. There has been a time when I was under and realized there was still only a jack holding the car up and I still drained my oil relying on my scissor jack.

I guess it'd be a good idea to get your jack out along with jack stands so you never forget as well as take the jack out as well maybe

Last edited by stevenDAtegra; 07-06-2009 at 06:32 PM.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Scary Day

Damn I really hope he feels better. This should be a lesson to all you guys working on cars and doing some ghetto crap like using bricks or using a very old jackstand and **** to raise your car.

Play it safe when doing things like these.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hope hes okay, i always use jackstands
Old 07-06-2009, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

damn! glad he is atleast alive... i hope nothing permanent happened to him.

keep us updated man.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:27 PM
GO GIANTS!

Damn, you saved his life. Be careful fellas.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah, his mom said he was acting normal when at the hospital and just kept asking for morphine lol. he called his dad and told him that the car was running better but then they had to pass him out since they found the cracks in the skull.

I will let you all know for sure

His mom called and said that he has no bleeding in his brain so that is good
Old 07-06-2009, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow, crazy stuff. He's lucky he's alive and with relatively minor (for what potentially could have occurred) injuries. I've never had a car fall but I've never forgotten to use jack stands either.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Dude... Thank god you were there.

For saving your friends life.

Hope he's okay. Keep us updated.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that is scary, i hope he ends being alright, thats good you were there.
Honda-Tech Member

Wow... Your friend is truly lucky to be alive. I hope he has a safe, and trouble free recovery.

I remember reading a similar story on a VW forum several years ago, and unfortunately the guy wasn't so lucky. He passed away.

I use jack stands, multiple jacks, and I also use wheels or cinder bricks as a "backup" sometimes.
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the kind words everyone. I am definitely glad I was there and that close to the car. I didn't think pulling up was going to be able to get him out since I'm not the strongest person but it was the only option.

I do feel a Little bad though for not checking to see if he put jackstands up but his health is the main concern right now.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i hope your friend feels better dude.
luckily you had big muss culs to lift the damn car.
for you bro
Old 07-06-2009, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is why I never do anything major by myself.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by stevenDAtegra View Post

I do feel a Little bad though for not checking to see if he put jackstands up but his health is the main concern right now.
Dude... try not feel bad. Accidents happen. It could of been a whole lot worse. Whenever these types of situations happen... we always ask ourselves "What if?". It is natural. If I was him, I would be thanking you.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by es.roadster View Post
i hope your friend feels better dude.
luckily you had big muss culs to lift the damn car.
for you bro
lol, I think it was being scared that helped me pull as hard as I did since I can only lift about average weight.

Thanks though for all the hopes and kind words. This thread will make his day when he sees it once he's out
Old 07-06-2009, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

someone from my high school died when his car fell on him when he was working on it

thank God you were there
Old 07-06-2009, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hope your friend makes a full recovery
Old 07-06-2009, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dont let it happen again

my dad always tells me that Scissor jacks are for emergency or lifting the car up temporarily
Old 07-06-2009, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by loclowd View Post
Dude... try not feel bad. Accidents happen. It could of been a whole lot worse. Whenever these types of situations happen... we always ask ourselves "What if?". It is natural. If I was him, I would be thanking you.
You're right, I shouldn't worry about it since he is alive. If he died though, I don't think I would have ever been able to live with the thought of not checking.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:43 PM
Collector-o-Guns and Drinker

Low-profile aluminum jacks don't cost much. I would never, ever, EVER even put a head under the fender with a factory jack - those are for emergency tire changes only.

Any time I have a car up, it's on jack stands with the jack itself as backup. Plus at least one wheel chocked.

Be careful out there.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good to hear that your friend is recovering.

I used to always only use jacks to do my oil change. Now that I think back on it, I feel soooo dumb yet grateful that something like this didn't happen, because it could've easily did with the $50 jack I bought at Pep Boys.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that is pretty nuts I am glad he is alright that must have shook you up quite a bit. I remember I have done that a couple times where I realize i forgot to put jack stands under the car. Know it is just force of habit.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Argh scissor jack... noes... hope he pulls thru man
Old 07-06-2009, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by stevenDAtegra View Post
You're right, I shouldn't worry about it since he is alive. If he died though, I don't think I would have ever been able to live with the thought of not checking.
This story will probably make other members on here think twice about checking for safety requirements when working on their car. You are probably going to save a life or two with your story
Old 07-06-2009, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by loclowd View Post
This story will probably make other members on here think twice about checking for safety requirements when working on their car. You are probably going to save a life or two with your story
he already saved one

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Scary Day

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.