Go Back  Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion > Community Forums > General Discussion and Debate
Reload this Page >

Samsung topples Intel as world's number 1 chipmaker by gross revenue.

Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Samsung topples Intel as world's number 1 chipmaker by gross revenue.

Old 02-11-2018, 10:19 PM
The Science Guy

Default Samsung topples Intel as world's number 1 chipmaker by gross revenue.

In 2017, Samsung's chip revenue was 69 billion compared to Intel's 62 billion, ending a title Intel held for 25 years.
Old 02-12-2018, 04:21 AM
Grandpa

Default Re: Samsung topples Intel as world's number 1 chipmaker by gross revenue.

Some of the 5G test units around Northern Virginia have the 845 chip and the latest video chip that's going to be in the S9.

You can test and see that they're about 20% faster at Geekbench than the very best devices with the 835, but they're still behind this year's iPhone by a considerable margin.

The thing is, if you ask most of us the bottleneck on our devices isn't the ability to render graphics or perform application calculations quickly. It's the speed of data transfers off the device that we perceive generally to be our bottleneck.

So being first to the post with 5G might be a very good thing.

But...then...no provider is giving us regular Gigabit LTE yet, not really.

The fastest I have ever seen in this system is the 90-110 Mbps from T-Mobile if you're standing on the roof of a building in Arlington, but that's still very far from Gigabit LTE. In Germany with the same iPhone, I can get over 200 Mbps. Still far from "Gigabit."

I think it's possible that people who focus on high performance might jump ship to Samsung, and jump ship to Verizon, if Verizon and Samsung together start giving us real 5G for the first time, and if they're ahead of Apple's iPhones that support 5G.

But do we really think 5G will be a thing anytime soon?

0_o
Old 02-12-2018, 04:21 AM
HT White Ops

Default Re: Samsung topples Intel as world's number 1 chipmaker by gross revenue.

Also became the world's largest explosives manufacturer
Old 02-12-2018, 04:30 AM
White Trash Wish Cash

Thought title said topless.

Leaving this nerd thread, thanks for nothin!
Old 02-12-2018, 08:43 AM
Touching My Member

Originally Posted by rino924 View Post
Thought title said topless.

Leaving this nerd thread, thanks for nothin!
LMAO! Same here
Old 02-13-2018, 04:16 AM
Grandpa

Tim Cook had better have something up his sleeve.

Because this Qualcomm - Samsung - 5G thing could take over the world, marketing-wise.

It will not in reality do what the specs hint, but it will still be a marketing coup.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by George Knighton View Post
Tim Cook had better have something up his sleeve.

Because this Qualcomm - Samsung - 5G thing could take over the world, marketing-wise.

It will not in reality do what the specs hint, but it will still be a marketing coup.
i think it is safe to say 95% of regular americans don't know the difference between LTE or 4G. they just know they like apple, so they're going to keep buying apple. look at how long it took apple to adopt LTE.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:42 PM
Paragraph Alert

Originally Posted by George Knighton View Post
The thing is, if you ask most of us the bottleneck on our devices isn't the ability to render graphics or perform application calculations quickly. It's the speed of data transfers off the device that we perceive generally to be our bottleneck.
My anecdotal experience isn't quite the same. I've rarely met a person who cares about data speeds as long as it is "good enough".

6Mbps is all you need to stream 1080p Netflix with no buffering. As long as the connection is low latency there isn't much of a difference browsing Facebook with a 10mbps connection and 1Gbps connection. This is coming from someone who had a legit 1Gbps connection.

Don't get me wrong gigabit is awesome and I welcome it as it will allow for the expansion of all sorts of other technology but in 2018 I'm not sure how much the average person will really care. Guess we'll see.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:56 PM
The Science Guy

I think Samsung's revenue was mainly driven by high demands in DRAM and Flash, while Intels x86 continues to lose market share.