Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RIP to the king of the Surf Guitar

Old 03-17-2019, 05:29 PM
eight equals equals equals D

Default RIP to the king of the Surf Guitar

Dick Dale, Surf Rock Guitar Legend, Dead at 81

Dick Dale, the Strat-wielding champion of surf rock whose biggest hit soundtracked one of the most iconic opening sequences in film, has died. He was 81.

The Guardian confirmed Dale's passing -- which took occurred Saturday night (March 16) -- with Sam Bolle, the bassist in his live band. (Billboard reached out to Dale's agent, who confirmed the news: "it's a sad day for rock 'n' roll.")

Dale was born Richard Anthony Monsour in Boston, Mass. in 1937, and first came to prominence in the early '60s with his band, the Del-Tones, and "Miserlou."

The 1962 track, Dale's take on the traditional Greek folk tune, features his furious, signature strum and serves as longtail hit of his 1962 debut LP, Surfer's Choice. (The album also features a cover of "Sloop John B," a Bahamian folk song, which the Beach Boys later covered and included on the track list for Pet Sounds in 1966.) The single enjoyed a later ovation thanks to Quentin Tarantino, who blasted it during the opening credits of 1994's Pulp Fiction 32 years after the song's release. The Black Eyed Peas notably sampled "Miserlou" in 2006 hit "Pump It," which peaked at No. 18 on the Billboard Hot 100.

In a 2015 interview with Billboard, Dale, who toured well into his twilight years, was candid about the various health issues he faced -- including renal failure, diabetes and more -- as he continued to travel the country and perform. "Even with my illnesses and diseases," he said, "I’m faster with my hands than I’ve ever been."

Last edited by Tim2179; 03-17-2019 at 06:07 PM.
Old 03-17-2019, 05:32 PM
rookn00b

Default Re: RIP to the king of the Surf Guitar

Old 03-17-2019, 05:41 PM
I said I don't want a title!

I didn't know Dick Dale was still alive.

Some of the "Surf Rock" genre aged ok, some of it not at all. A good guitar never really gets old though.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:07 PM
eight equals equals equals D

Originally Posted by Todd00 View Post
A good guitar never really gets old though.
I have fond memories of 'borrowing' my dad's Miata in high school and ripping up back roads listening to CDs and Dick Dale's King of the Surf Guitar CD got played quite a bit. My high school DD was a 77 Olds with a tape deck and an automatic transmission, so while it was somewhat fast, it wasn't that much fun to drive...

and one for Ross, as Dale was also one of the chosen people

Old 03-17-2019, 06:42 PM
Oracle of GDD

Wow, had NO idea he was still alive. He was already "The Godfather" of this genre when I was listening to its offshoots in the 90s.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:43 PM
Nu Sigma Alpha

Oh man RIP
Old 03-23-2019, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

He was left handed, and he just flipped a regular guitar over, did not re-string it.

He played so hard that the Fender amps of the time would catch fire. They had to beef them up to live up to his punishment.

The God Father of Speed Metal...
Old 03-25-2019, 02:41 PM

I don't think he got enough credit. Not just music, the "his music" also influence cars and beach culture. Would anyone want to live in SoCal without thinking of his music?
Old 03-25-2019, 09:14 PM
Cogent Argument Enthusiast

Instantly thought of Pulp Fiction

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.