Report: Walmart Workers Cost Taxpayers $6.2 Billion In Public Assistance - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.

Report: Walmart Workers Cost Taxpayers $6.2 Billion In Public Assistance

Old 04-19-2017, 10:51 AM   #1
W95 gives me a hard-on

Default Report: Walmart Workers Cost Taxpayers $6.2 Billion In Public Assistance

Quote:
Walmart’s low-wage workers cost U.S. taxpayers an estimated $6.2 billion in public assistance including food stamps, Medicaid and subsidized housing, according to a report published to coincide with Tax Day, April 15.

Americans for Tax Fairness, a coalition of 400 national and state-level progressive groups, made this estimate using data from a 2013 study by Democratic Staff of the U.S. Committee on Education and the Workforce.

“The study estimated the cost to Wisconsin’s taxpayers of Walmart’s low wages and benefits, which often force workers to rely on various public assistance programs,” reads the report, available in full here.

“It found that a single Walmart Supercenter cost taxpayers between $904,542 and $1.75 million per year, or between $3,015 and $5,815 on average for each of 300 workers.”

Americans for Tax Fairness then took the mid-point of that range ($4,415) and multiplied it by Walmart’s approximately 1.4 million workers to come up with an estimate of the overall taxpayers’ bill for the Bentonville, Ark.-based big box giant’s staffers...

Rest at:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/clareoco...ic-assistance/
foumer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:52 AM   #2
El Chico

Default Re: Report: Walmart Workers Cost Taxpayers $6.2 Billion In Public Assistance

That's a LOT of estimating.
Knightsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:53 AM   #3
INSERT TITLE HERE

Default Re: Report: Walmart Workers Cost Taxpayers $6.2 Billion In Public Assistance

I think we just discovered the definition of a living wage. When your employer pays you enough to not qualify for public assistance while working you 40+ hours a week.
newt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:55 AM   #4
Cogent Argument Enthusiast

How much do Costco employees cost taxpayers each year?
Uncle Ben's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:56 AM   #5
I ask Twitter, not xtrac1

No...just.....no...
rico91stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:57 AM   #6
INSERT TITLE HERE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben's View Post
How much do Costco employees cost taxpayers each year?
Interesting question that can be answered with a two second search on Google.

11 Reasons To Love Costco That Have Nothing To Do With Shopping The Huffington Post

Quote:
The company pays a living wage. Costco's CEO and president, Craig Jelinek, has publicly endorsed raising the federal minimum wage to $10.10 an hour, and he takes that to heart. The company's starting pay is $11.50 per hour, and the average employee wage is $21 per hour, not including overtime.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:58 AM   #7
Meh

So, solution is we just cut public assistance programs. Then it wont cost us anything?
Rguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:58 AM   #8
GDD's DJ EX-M0D

Corporate welfare...let's give them tax breaks on their land purchases, business tax breaks, and cover what they short their employees.
816d16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:59 AM   #9
BCICAN

Some people just aren't worth $7.25/hr. It's not like Walmart is going to attract the people who are worth more than that to work their retail stores.
Dunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:59 AM   #10
footwork mastery

Lol at Costco average wage number. Bet if you took the average wage of Walmart it's decently high too. Skewed number is skewed
.Grimace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:59 AM   #11
INSERT TITLE HERE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 816d16 View Post
Corporate welfare...let's give them tax breaks on their land purchases, business tax breaks, and cover what they short their employees.
Why do you hate bootstraps?
Old 04-19-2017, 11:00 AM   #12
INSERT TITLE HERE

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Grimace View Post
Lol at Costco average wage number. Bet if you took the average wage of Walmart it's decently high too. Skewed number is skewed
You would lose that bet.

Wal-Mart Stores, Inc Employer Wages, Hourly Wage Rate | PayScale
Old 04-19-2017, 11:01 AM   #13
Honda-Tech Member

Duh. I did my ethics class paper on Wal Mart, and at the end of my presentation, my professor said something along the lines of "great job, yes wal mart does use a lot of subsidies, but they do give all those old people jobs at the door." She was dead serious.
rockcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:01 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by newt2 View Post
I think we just discovered the definition of a living wage. When your employer pays you enough to not qualify for public assistance while working you 40+ hours a week.
The "living wage" is like $11.50 in Milwaukee, and is laughable when expenses are broken down. The actual LIVING wage is much higher, and the term "living wage" should be changed to "existing in a life not worth living wage."

That said, Walmart does pay their employees $10 per hour now, both making this study obsolete (its based on 4 year old data ffs) and throwing a wrench in the "raising minimum wage would cause the entire economy to collapse" rightist/classist bullshit.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:03 AM   #15
Meh

Quote:

That said, Walmart does pay their employees $10 per hour now, both making this study obsolete (its based on 4 year old data ffs) and throwing a wrench in the "raising minimum wage would cause the entire economy to collapse" rightist/classist bullshit.
Wait, didnt Walmart proceed to close a bunch of stores and cut hours once they raised salaries? Let's not pretend you can just raise wages and not see cuts elsewhere. Balance sheet much?
Old 04-19-2017, 11:04 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Grimace View Post
Actually last I checked the average wage was $9 for all Walmart store employees, and $17 for Costco store employees. But never let facts get in the way of classist ignorant bullshit.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:06 AM   #17
INSERT TITLE HERE

Quote:
The "living wage" is like $11.50 in Milwaukee, and is laughable when expenses are broken down. The actual LIVING wage is much higher, and the term "living wage" should be changed to "existing in a life not worth living wage."
I'm fine with that. I think that if you work full time you should be able to afford a modest place to live, a modest used car and not have to eat cat food. You want more? Do more.

I really don't understand people who think it's OK to pay someone such a low wage that they can't have those basics though.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:08 AM   #18
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by newt2 View Post

I really don't understand people who think it's OK to pay someone such a low wage that they can't have those basics though.
Business 101. Labor is your most expensive cost. If you have jobs at 7.50 (and its legal to pay that rate) an hour and people will work at that rate, then why would you cost yourself more than you have to?
Old 04-19-2017, 11:11 AM   #19
INSERT TITLE HERE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rguy View Post
Business 101. Labor is your most expensive cost. If you have jobs at 7.50 (and its legal to pay that rate) an hour and people will work at that rate, then why would you cost yourself more than you have to?
You just explained why it shouldn't be legal.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:12 AM   #20
GDD's DJ EX-M0D

Quote:
That's fine, but then people like you turn around and bitch about "entitlements" and "welfare". You seem to have zero problem with Wal-Mart sucking off the government teet, but somehow don't like poor people doing so. It's a perplexing thought process.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:13 AM   #21

Quote:
Ooh, I know that one. So your children can each inherit 10+ billion dollars?
Old 04-19-2017, 11:13 AM   #22
Imgur Lives Matter

lol poor people

Why don't they just get better jobs?
90hatch94dsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:14 AM   #23
Swaggylicious

and somehow they still only have 2 out of 37 registers open
$amGD3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:15 AM   #24
GDD's DJ EX-M0D

Quote:
Ooh, I know that one. So your children can each inherit 10+ billion dollars?
Word to David Glass. Gotta keep the lights on, nah'mean?
Old 04-19-2017, 11:17 AM   #25
Honda-Tech Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 816d16 View Post
That's fine, but then people like you turn around and bitch about "entitlements" and "welfare". You seem to have zero problem with Wal-Mart sucking off the government teet, but somehow don't like poor people doing so. It's a perplexing thought process.
rockcity is offline   Reply With Quote