Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reliability of Jeep Wranglers?

Old 06-08-2005, 03:44 PM
Unaffiliated

Default Reliability of Jeep Wranglers?

Alright, of course this is way off-topic, so STFU if you want to complain. Anyway, I'm ready to spend about 10K on a car that has to be a reliable daily driver and I've been thinking about getting a Jeep Wrangler. I'd be looking for a 1995-2001 probably, and I'm wondering if anybody is knowledgeable with them. Do they have any particular frequent problems? Are the automatic transmissions on par with other notoriously bad Chrysler transmissions?
Old 06-08-2005, 04:31 PM

Default Re: Reliability of Jeep Wranglers? (Not So Lude Behavior)

i hear they are quite reliable (a friend had his up to 110k), but sometimesd have electrical and tranny problems (with the auto, who would want an auto jeep anyways?)
Old 06-08-2005, 04:34 PM
mex

Default Re: Reliability of Jeep Wranglers? (Not So Lude Behavior)

jeeps are pretty bad daily drivers. but if you set on one look for an early TJ (96+ i think) with a 4.0 and a 5 speed. The 4 cylinder cant get out of its own way. The jeep 4.0 is very reliable. Much more so than the 4.2 it replaces(was offered until 91 i believe)

Old 06-08-2005, 04:49 PM
Electrician

Indeed, get a TJ. External clutch master cylinders plus better looks. IMO, get a 5-speed. The AX-15 unit is very stout. The automatics aren't TOO relaible, pre 2002. 2002 and newer came with a 4-speed automatic as opposed to the 3-speed pre 2001. Yes, get the 4.0 I6. The 2.5 straight blows with stock gearing. Only weak point on the Wranglers is the Dana35 rear. Those things grenade at anything bigger than a 32" tire without some upgrades. I doubt you'll be able to find a Rubicon with $10k. Those have STOUT trannies, Dana44 front and rear axles and front and rear air lockers, FACTORY.

My next car WILL be a Wrangler. I had a 1995 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 before my Civic. Once I hit my career this August, saving for a newer Wrangler.
Old 06-09-2005, 05:36 AM

Default Re: (Dimitri_EG8 a.k.a. Dimi)

I had a Jeep for a daily driver and it sucked. So I got myself a VW. Jeeps, even 4cyl don't get that great of gas mileage and they've been known to leak/have drainage issues depending on the year. I'd recomend getting a cheap honda/vw/etc for a daily driver.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:07 AM
Pork is NOT a verb!

Default Re: (BIntegra99)

I had a 95 Wrangler up to about 110k mi. without any real problems before i got my teg. It was a 4 cyl though, and thats the older body style with the square headlights.

They are a lot of fun, but cold in the winter and loud at high speeds. I would get one from 96 or newer, they are a lot nicer than mine was.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:25 AM

Default Re: (BIntegra99)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BIntegra99 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I had a Jeep for a daily driver and it sucked. So I got myself a VW.</TD></TR></TABLE>

*thud*

Old 06-09-2005, 03:28 PM
Unaffiliated

Default Re: (acuraholic)

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm still considering what I want. I'm stuck between the reality that I can't afford to mod a car at all right now, and I don't want some God awful Chevy Malibu or something like that.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Reliability of Jeep Wranglers?

It's been a year since I've taken delivery of my Jeep and have logged 20k miles, it's been an amazing experience, I've gone camping a few times, lots of hills and dirt trails, been through mud and crawled on rocks, through heavy snow, I'm always looking for any dirt trails that I come across, made lots of memories and this thing is a beast, so capable in stock form.

I even look forward driving to work and just driving this machine period, it actually feels nimble and preppy with its 8 speed transmission, I can't wait to lift it and throw on some bigger tires

Old 03-26-2019, 06:55 AM

The 3.6L V6 is solid, and easy to service. It's a bit OG today, and I consider that a good thing. I have that engine in my Challenger, and would have not reservation getting another Pentastar V6.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:21 AM
Swaggylicious

you guys think OP ended up in a god awful malibu

i think he did
Old 03-26-2019, 09:07 AM
footwork mastery

When we move I am getting a 4 door or truck wrangler like 99% sure. Might go Tacoma/ 4runner to match the locals still
Old 03-26-2019, 09:22 AM
Oracle of GDD

Originally Posted by .Grimace View Post
When we move I am getting a 4 door or truck wrangler like 99% sure. Might go Tacoma/ 4runner to match the locals still
Solid plan. Bronco for me
Old 03-26-2019, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

don't do it, stick to the ridgeline
Old 03-26-2019, 09:26 AM
footwork mastery

Originally Posted by tony_2018 View Post
don't do it, stick to the ridgeline
You show me a Ridgeline that'll get through this and I'd get it. Obviously a stock Rubicon or TRD Pro would have trouble/ might not but the ability to add some stuff and make it is why they win to me. No racetracks over there (drag strip but not for me) so I'll try a new hobby.

Old 03-26-2019, 02:13 PM
aka DaZman69!

Originally Posted by .Grimace View Post
You show me a Ridgeline that'll get through this and I'd get it. Obviously a stock Rubicon or TRD Pro would have trouble/ might not but the ability to add some stuff and make it is why they win to me. No racetracks over there (drag strip but not for me) so I'll try a new hobby.

the only thing that seperates a legit off-roader and a run of the mill off roader is a front locker

legit off-roaders:
-rubicon
-raptor
-colorado zr2
-dodge powerwagon

not legit:
Toyota trd pro, literally the same setup as most pickups. A lockable center diff, lockable rear diff, open front diff.
Old 03-26-2019, 02:16 PM
aka DaZman69!

Btw - if you wants god jeep

you do a gmc sierra 6.2 swap, they do have a swap kit out (google wrangler L86 swap)
Old 03-28-2019, 07:36 AM
Will you make something up for me please?

I've been eyeing the newer style 4 door Renegades for years now, but I'm curious why people are saying they're not good daily drivers.

I've sat in one only once in my life and I remember it being bumpy and loud. Is that it?

I'm looking for a utilitarian type vehicle for our next car so I'm looking at something like an Outback, 4Runner, etc. A Wrangler could be a lot of fun, but not sure if it is worth it. Does it have a lot of cargo room inside if you fold the seats down?
Old 03-28-2019, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by shamoo View Post
I've been eyeing the newer style 4 door Renegades for years now, but I'm curious why people are saying they're not good daily drivers.
I am interested in a Jeep (Wrangler 4 door) also and have no plans to go off pavement. Joinng the current SUV/Truck madness. The few that I have rode it, the owner does do off road things. I find those vehicles "damaged" in some way with their suspension, steering, tires, etc. I think that lead to many that said Jeeps are bad DDs, and ride horrible.

Test drive a 2019 4 door Wrangler. I see no issues DD, other than using more gas than a Civic.
Old 03-28-2019, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Im also considering a 4 door wrangler for my next work vehicle. Never in a million years thought I would say that. Sole reason for consideration is resale. Every work vehicle I buy is worth **** after I put 100k miles on it in 4 years.
Old 03-28-2019, 07:59 AM
#stillneedsadiaper

Originally Posted by Skelly View Post
Im also considering a 4 door wrangler for my next work vehicle. Never in a million years thought I would say that. Sole reason for consideration is resale. Every work vehicle I buy is worth **** after I put 100k miles on it in 4 years.
why not 4 runner?
Old 03-28-2019, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by solsisters View Post
why not 4 runner?
I'm either going 4 runner or wrangler.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

toyota always holds value.

I wonder why most trucks that are built for offroad don't have a SAS design...
Old 03-28-2019, 09:13 AM
I said I don't want a title!

Originally Posted by sflkgjsfndgn View Post
the only thing that seperates a legit off-roader and a run of the mill off roader is a front locker

legit off-roaders:
-rubicon
-raptor
-colorado zr2
-dodge powerwagon

not legit:
Toyota trd pro, literally the same setup as most pickups. A lockable center diff, lockable rear diff, open front diff.
It's like you forget that the aftermarket exists for this type of thing.

Anyone serious about "off roading" is instantly going to pull stock parts off/put non OE parts on with regards to anything on your list.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:18 AM
footwork mastery

This thread makes me want my diesel Jeep Wrangler rubicon truck so badly again

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Reliability of Jeep Wranglers?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.