Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Racial Profiling, The Political Climate and You

Old 04-21-2019, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Racial Profiling, The Political Climate and You

I don't think anyone said racism was gone. But keep up the narrative.
Old 04-21-2019, 04:18 PM
Oracle of GDD

Originally Posted by 1 2 NV View Post
I've said this to you before, but I'll say it again--the anti-SJWs want to have it both ways.

You want to tell us that racism isn't a big deal, that it doesn't affect anyone's life, and that it's pretty much gone in 2019 so stop bitching.

But you also want us to accept that racism isn't going anywhere because everyone is a little bit racist and nothing we can do is going to change that, so why are we surprised or outraged by people like that Days Inn guy?
Old 04-21-2019, 04:29 PM
Cole Trickle

If racism isn't gone why don't you want to do anything to get rid of it 1 2?
Old 04-21-2019, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What am I supposed to do? I can't control others. I don't pretend to try. All I can do is teach my kids the best I can. Im already pretty set in my ways.
Old 04-21-2019, 07:11 PM
Oracle of GDD

What am I supposed to do? I can't control others. I don't pretend to try. All I can do is teach my kids the best I can. Im already pretty set in my ways.
That's totally fair. Just not sure why you want to **** on people who want to see a change.

I don't think of you as a racist at all man, so I feel like you have to at least admit that things have slid backwards a bit and a lot of ugliness has come out that was unacceptable most of our lives.

My take is that racism is not going anywhere, so that's precisely why we have to resist it. You have to constantly keep it at bay or it will creep in and take over. You could take that to refer to individual thoughts or societal conditions. One follows the other.
Old 04-21-2019, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

We teach our kids to treat everyone equal. Even if they are treated badly by that person.
I do tell them there is a certain time and place they will need to stick up and stand their ground though.
I also tell them not to use the word hate. I dislike alot of things but I do not have many things I "hate".
I am guilty of teaching them social class though. I also teach them not everyone is equal in social class. Some have good mother's and father's. Some have bad ones. Some have food on their plates for every meal and some do not.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The fact you said this proves the point exactly. While you may not be personally racists, you come off as a person who tolerates it at best. Like Ross said you can't have it both ways.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Ross View Post
My take is that racism is not going anywhere, so that's precisely why we have to resist it. You have to constantly keep it at bay or it will creep in and take over.
100% true.
Old 04-22-2019, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Ross View Post

My take is that racism is not going anywhere, so that's precisely why we have to resist it. You have to constantly keep it at bay or it will creep in and take over. You could take that to refer to individual thoughts or societal conditions. One follows the other.
That's a true statement.

We teach our kids to treat everyone equal. Even if they are treated badly by that person.
I do tell them there is a certain time and place they will need to stick up and stand their ground though.
I also tell them not to use the word hate. I dislike alot of things but I do not have many things I "hate".
I am guilty of teaching them social class though. I also teach them not everyone is equal in social class. Some have good mother's and father's. Some have bad ones. Some have food on their plates for every meal and some do not.
These are good life lessons.

Unfortunately, social class often comes with generalities; even if not meant maliciously.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:15 AM
Cole Trickle

Originally Posted by black_EM1 View Post
That's a true statement.

These are good life lessons.

Unfortunately, social class often comes with generalities; even if not meant maliciously.
Yep.

TFW F. Scott Fitzgerlad recognized privilege almost a century ago and we still claim it doesn't exist:

In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I’ve been turning over in my mind ever since.

“Whenever you feel like criticizing any one,” he told me, “just remember that all the people in this world haven’t had the advantages that you’ve had.”
Old 04-22-2019, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Privilege has been around longer than we've had the words for it. It is inherently part of who we are as human beings. There's no real taking that away, but still.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:07 AM
Cole Trickle

John Legend co-wrote an op ed. I imagine many racist cops do not like it.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...416-story.html

We all want our communities to be both safe and just. We want to tuck our children into bed, go to the parks and send them off to school without fear of their being put in harm’s way. At the same time, we want fathers and mothers to be home with their children, and not locked up behind bars when they do not pose a threat to our communities.

For decades, we’ve tried the lock-everyone-up tactic. The U.S. became the most incarcerated nation in the world. The results were financially costly, extracted a massive human toll and did not make us safer.

In 2018, homicides in Chicago decreased by 14 percent from 2017, and 32 percent since 2016. At the same time, Chicago reduced its use of money bail, which holds people in jail before trial who are presumed innocent but are too poor to pay. And it kept thousands of people out of the justice system who posed little safety threat by diverting them into alternative programs. As students of the need for smart justice reform, one of us as an activist and one as a former law enforcement officer, we watched these changes with admiration and elation.

Chicago is making great progress. Just a few years ago, Chicago regularly made front-page headlines, but not because it was on the cutting edge of criminal justice reform. Homicides were up and too many went unsolved. Police abuses of power went unchecked. Mayor Rahm Emanuel’s City Hall delayed publicly releasing a police dashcam video showing Officer Jason Van **** killing Laquan McDonald.

But now, Chicago is on the forefront of a movement that is finally bringing justice, accountability and safety to the criminal justice system.

Cook County State’s Attorney Kim Foxx has stood at the center of this transformation. Since taking office in 2016, Foxx increased transparency in the office, stopped prosecuting marijuana possession, reduced the use of money bail, diverted more cases out of jail and prison and back into the community, and developed a conviction integrity unit that has vacated dozens of cases.

She hasn’t done it alone; Cook County Sheriff Tom Dart ended use of solitary confinement in county jails, the state legislature passed a bill sealing the records of those who have paid their debt, and we’ve seen champions such as state Rep. Jehan Gordon-Booth and Attorney General Kwame Raoul leading the way on criminal justice reform. Now, Mayor-elect Lori Lightfoot joins their ranks. All of these leaders partner with and are pushed by such grassroots groups as the Chicago Bond Fund and the People’s Lobby, both of which play leading roles in the movement to end the criminalization of poverty.

The Chicago police are playing a key role in helping us build a safer and more just future. With Eddie Johnson at the helm, the Chicago Police Department has moved to more community policing, and he and Foxx continue working together on reforms. This is a welcome turn, but there is much more work to do: The city only solves 1 in 6 homicides, but the trajectory is brighter than it has been in decades.

But there is one influential group in Chicago that poses a grave threat to this city’s safety: Chicago’s police union, the Fraternal Order of Police. The union is a relic of the past, with a commitment to protecting all officers, even those who give it a bad name. After Van **** killed McDonald, the FOP not only vociferously defended Van ****, but the union also hired him. The FOP has criticized the city for settling cases involving gross allegations of police misconduct. And it defended former police Cmdr. John Burge after his death, despite his squad’s documented history of physical and psychological abuse.

The FOP has regularly lambasted Foxx and her office. Recently, it led protests outside of her office where some report that hate groups were also present. The FOP called the Van **** trial “a sham.” Recently, the union unleashed on Foxx after she dismissed charges against a teenage girl accused of assaulting a police officer. A video released recently shows the officers abused the child, not the other way around.

The FOP makes the work of the mostly good, honest and dedicated officers harder and communities less safe. Communities of color that believe police are in alliance with white supremacist groups are not going to come forward as witnesses to crime, a phenomenon documented by law professor Monica Bell in a recent article for the Yale Law Review. When the FOP defends officers who abuse children, how can the community trust the police?

We must, therefore, demand that the FOP stop its baseless and dangerous attacks on smart reformers such as Foxx. If we do not call them out, we embolden their voices, make them credible and allow them to drown out the work of good police officers and public officials while halting necessary change. We need more accountability and elected officials who are smart on crime, not overly punitive. We’re calling on all leaders — the mayor, the state’s attorney, the police superintendent and the sheriff — to reject the politics of the FOP and relegate its destructive ideas to the dustbin of history where they belong.

John Legend is an entertainer and activist. Neill Franklin is executive director of the Law Enforcement Action Partnership and a former police officer.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Honestly, the "blue brotherhood" and thin blue line are a load of bullshit.

It's less "racism" but simply long term, unchecked power though.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:30 AM
Tickle-shits

Chicago is making strides? You mean the same Chicago that had its police force made a mockery of by Jessie Smolett?

Saying.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:35 AM
Cole Trickle

Originally Posted by Tokyosmash! View Post
Chicago is making strides? You mean the same Chicago that had its police force made a mockery of by Jessie Smolett?

Saying.
Dude what?

Just sit down.

Murders are down. Death by cops are down. Crimes solved are up.

Justice is being provided more equitably.

Criminal justice reform is good for EVERYONE.

Toxic organizations that close rank to protect toxic people are bad for EVERYONE, except for the most toxic within them.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Privilege has been around longer than we've had the words for it. It is inherently part of who we are as human beings. There's no real taking that away, but still.
When people say white privilege doesn't exist.

Nothing like another bigot showing them otherwise.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:57 AM
Tickle-shits

Originally Posted by moopmoop View Post
Dude what?

Just sit down.

Toxic organizations that close rank to protect toxic people are bad for EVERYONE, except for the most toxic within them.
I’d hope violent crime would go down, they hired 1,100 more cops this year.
Old 04-22-2019, 11:02 AM
Cole Trickle

I’d hope violent crime would go down, they hired 1,100 more cops this year.
Man this confuses me.

When people say self defense is the key, police are not helpful.

But when it comes to preventing violent crime, all you have to do is hire more cops?

Old 04-22-2019, 12:16 PM
Tickle-shits

Man this confuses me, if guns weren’t needed, crime wouldn’t be so high where it’s illegal to possess them
Old 04-22-2019, 12:22 PM
Oracle of GDD

Honestly, the "blue brotherhood" and thin blue line are a load of bullshit.

It's less "racism" but simply long term, unchecked power though.
This is good.

If I had to guess, I'd say that most "racist white cops" have black friends in their precincts.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:26 PM
Cole Trickle

Man this confuses me, if guns weren’t needed, crime wouldn’t be so high where it’s illegal to possess them
Don't start this.

And Chicago should really be the last place you gun guys look to to prove the good of guns...the neighboring states all have super lax gun laws bc run by alt-right fascists.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Saying.
One isolated case does not speak for a whole city. You're smarter than that.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:00 PM
Oracle of GDD

Chicago is to (R)s what Alabama is to (D)s.

There just isn't any point in trying to convince them that they're anything but cesspools created by The Other Side and their hopelessly stupid policies.

When I'm debating gun control or anything else with an (R), I just let them have Chicago and move on.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man this confuses me.

When people say self defense is the key, police are not helpful.

But when it comes to preventing violent crime, all you have to do is hire more cops?
Yeah well when you legally remove the means for people to protect themselves
Old 04-23-2019, 03:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude what?

Just sit down.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Racial Profiling, The Political Climate and You

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.