Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Racial Profiling, The Political Climate and You

Old 04-10-2019, 03:19 PM
Oracle of GDD

Default Re: Racial Profiling, The Political Climate and You

Originally Posted by 3rdDrawerDown View Post
Hurg durg...

Let me help you with this.

No im not. I do believe in races having innate differences however. But again that's because i respect actual diversity and am not using the inverted meaning of it as a way to import cheap labor and votes.

Globalism is form of inter colonialism. Doing it this way keeps the perpetrators from coming off as oppressors.

You seeing it yet?

K, im gone this time.
Fancy way of saying "The Jews did it"
Old 04-11-2019, 05:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Have to at least respect his honesty in what he is.

That's not something that can be said about all posters here.
Old 04-11-2019, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by black_EM1 View Post
Have to at least respect his honesty in what he is.

That's not something that can be said about all posters here.
black_EM1 the kind of guy to compliment someones honesty for not trying to mask a fart as a cough
Old 04-11-2019, 11:36 AM
Oracle of GDD

Well, those church fires in Louisiana were an inside job, of sorts...lit by a deputy's son.

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/04/11/us/...www.cnn.com%2F
Old 04-11-2019, 11:40 AM
Oracle of GDD

Old 04-11-2019, 11:43 AM
Imgur Lives Matter

racial bias!

stereotyping!
Old 04-11-2019, 12:01 PM
Cole Trickle

Originally Posted by Ross View Post
Well, those church fires in Louisiana were an inside job, of sorts...lit by a deputy's son.

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/04/11/us/...www.cnn.com%2F
Least surprising thing in 2019.
Old 04-11-2019, 01:23 PM
Tickle-shits

Originally Posted by moopmoop View Post
Least surprising thing in 2019.
Was influenced by black metal

Brutal.
Old 04-12-2019, 05:09 AM
Cole Trickle

So while a guy that is probably going to be one of the first three NFL draft picks (Nick Bosa) is on twitter with some Racist ****, here's Kyle Korver with a very solid player's tribune post.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en...-utah-jazz-nba

There’s an elephant in the room that I’ve been thinking about a lot over these last few weeks. It’s the fact that, demographically, if we’re being honest: I have more in common with the fans in the crowd at your average NBA game than I have with the players on the court.

And after the events in Salt Lake City last month, and as we’ve been discussing them since, I’ve really started to recognize the role those demographics play in my privilege. It’s like — I may be Thabo’s friend, or Ekpe’s teammate, or Russ’s colleague; I may work with those guys. And I absolutely 100% stand with them.

But I look like the other guy.

And whether I like it or not? I’m beginning to understand how that means something.

What I’m realizing is, no matter how passionately I commit to being an ally, and no matter how unwavering my support is for NBA and WNBA players of color….. I’m still in this conversation from the privileged perspective of opting in to it. Which of course means that on the flip side, I could just as easily opt out of it. Every day, I’m given that choice — I’m granted that privilege — based on the color of my skin.

In other words, I can say every right thing in the world: I can voice my solidarity with Russ after what happened in Utah. I can evolve my position on what happened to Thabo in New York. I can be that weird dude in Get Out bragging about how he’d have voted for Obama a third term. I can condemn every racist heckler I’ve ever known.

But I can also fade into the crowd, and my face can blend in with the faces of those hecklers, any time I want.

I realize that now. And maybe in years past, just realizing something would’ve felt like progress. But it’s NOT years past — it’s today. And I know I have to do better. So I’m trying to push myself further.

I’m trying to ask myself what I should actually do.

How can I — as a white man, part of this systemic problem — become part of the solution when it comes to racism in my workplace? In my community? In this country?

These are the questions that I’ve been asking myself lately.

And I don’t think I have all the answers yet — but here are the ones that are starting to ring the most true:

I have to continue to educate myself on the history of racism in America.

I have to listen. I’ll say it again, because it’s that important. I have to listen.

I have to support leaders who see racial justice as fundamental — as something that’s at the heart of nearly every major issue in our country today. And I have to support policies that do the same.

I have to do my best to recognize when to get out of the way — in order to amplify the voices of marginalized groups that so often get lost.

But maybe more than anything?

I know that, as a white man, I have to hold my fellow white men accountable.

We all have to hold each other accountable.

And we all have to be accountable — period. Not just for our own actions, but also for the ways that our inaction can create a “safe” space for toxic behavior.

And I think the standard that we have to hold ourselves to, in this crucial moment….. it’s higher than it’s ever been. We have to be active. We have to be actively supporting the causes of those who’ve been marginalized — precisely because they’ve been marginalized.

Two concepts that I’ve been thinking about a lot lately are guilt and responsibility.

When it comes to racism in America, I think that guilt and responsibility tend to be seen as more or less the same thing. But I’m beginning to understand how there’s a real difference.

As white people, are we guilty of the sins of our forefathers? No, I don’t think so.

But are we responsible for them? Yes, I believe we are.

And I guess I’ve come to realize that when we talk about solutions to systemic racism — police reform, workplace diversity, affirmative action, better access to healthcare, even reparations? It’s not about guilt. It’s not about pointing fingers, or passing blame.

It’s about responsibility. It’s about understanding that when we’ve said the word “equality,” for generations, what we’ve really meant is equality for a certain group of people. It’s about understanding that when we’ve said the word “inequality,” for generations, what we’ve really meant is slavery, and its aftermath — which is still being felt to this day. It’s about understanding on a fundamental level that black people and white people, they still have it different in America. And that those differences come from an ugly history….. not some random divide.

And it’s about understanding that Black Lives Matter, and movements like it, matter, because — well, let’s face it: I probably would’ve been safe on the street that one night in New York. And Thabo wasn’t. And I was safe on the court that one night in Utah. And Russell wasn’t.

The NBA is over 75% players of color.

Seventy-five percent.

People of color, they built this league. They’ve grown this league. People of color have made this league into what it is today. And I guess I just wanted to say that if you can’t find it in your heart to support them — now? And I mean actively support them?

If the best that you can do for their cause is to passively “tolerate” it? If that’s the standard we’re going to hold ourselves to — to blend in, and opt out?

Well, that’s not good enough. It’s not even close.

I know I’m in a strange position, as one of the more recognized white players in the NBA. It’s a position that comes with a lot of….. interesting undertones. And it’s a position that makes me a symbol for a lot of things, for a lot of people — often people who don’t know anything about me. Usually, I just ignore them. But this doesn’t feel like a “usually” moment.

This feels like a moment to draw a line in the sand.

I believe that what’s happening to people of color in this country — right now, in 2019 — is wrong.

The fact that black Americans are more than five times as likely to be incarcerated as white Americans is wrong. The fact that black Americans are more than twice as likely to live in poverty as white Americans is wrong. The fact that black unemployment rates nationally are double that of overall unemployment rates is wrong. The fact that black imprisonment rates for drug charges are almost six times higher nationally than white imprisonment rates for drug charges is wrong. The fact that black Americans own approximately one-tenth of the wealth that white Americans own is wrong.

The fact that inequality is built so deeply into so many of our most trusted institutions is wrong.

And I believe it’s the responsibility of anyone on the privileged end of those inequalities to help make things right.

So if you don’t want to know anything about me, outside of basketball, then listen — I get it. But if you do want to know something? Know I believe that.

Know that about me.

If you’re wearing my jersey at a game? Know that about me. If you’re planning to buy my jersey for someone else…… know that about me. If you’re following me on social media….. know that about me. If you’re coming to Jazz games and rooting for me….. know that about me.

And if you’re claiming my name, or likeness, for your own cause, in any way….. know that about me. Know that I believe this matters.

Thanks for reading.

Time for me to shut up and listen.

This quote is not the entire post & I wholly recommend reading the whole thing. This stuff shouldn't have to be said by a famous/rich/talented white guy for it to sink in for people, but we all know how certain folks are.
Old 04-12-2019, 06:56 AM
Oracle of GDD

That right there is the difference between the NBA and NFL lol.
Old 04-12-2019, 06:59 AM
C-A-P-S CAPS CAPS CAPS

Just look at how Pop and Kerr handle questions on the topic. Those question can't even be asked to NFL coaches.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sweat and Allen > Bosa.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:32 AM
Cole Trickle

Originally Posted by mar778c View Post
Sweat and Allen > Bosa.
Well duh.

Old 04-12-2019, 07:35 AM
GDD's DJ EX-M0D

Originally Posted by The GreenD16 View Post
Just look at how Pop and Kerr handle questions on the topic. Those question can't even be asked to NFL coaches.
That’s so true, and really odd when you think about it.

‘Murica I guess.

Moop, I see you with the Kieth Sweat.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:38 AM
Oracle of GDD

Originally Posted by 816d16 View Post

‘Murica I guess.
There was an ESPN study recently about the NFL in the Age of Trump, how divided it had become.

And it was basically just like the military: all the white guys were Good ol' Boys who voted Trump, and all the black dudes were liberal brothers who were horrified.

There was no middle ground.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:41 AM
Cole Trickle

‘Murica I guess.
I think the demographics of the sport's various fans & the team construction make sense.

The biggest stars in the NFL are primarily white. Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Rivers, Manning, etc. Offensive lines are 1500 pounds of KKK rallies on some teams. Etc.

Conversely, the biggest stars in the NBA are ALL black, LBJ, Wade, Harden, Curry, Durant, Kyrie, Dame, etc.

They have way more face to face interaction with fans too, from their tunnel walk fashion shows (essentially) to post game press conferences, etc., and even just being seen clearly on court.

The fans are also very different:
  • Demographics: The NFL fan is 41% more likely to be a Male than a Female, and is most likely to fall with the 50-59 age range. Where the NFL seems to be losing viewer interest is within the 20-29-year-old age range, as those consumers are 10% less likely to be interested in the NFL. In terms of income, we see the “sweet spot” for interest for online users with a household income between $75-$100k (10% more likely than average to earn this amount).
  • Lifestyle, Sports and Shopping: NFL fans are also 10% more likely to drive a Chevrolet and 19% more likely to be classified as frequent purchasers of pizza. Politically, they are about 13% more likely to be Republican over Democrat, with an associated 6% more interest in Paul Ryan than other political figures. The MLB was the chief competitor for the NFL during the timeframe this data was run (Fall 2017), with NFL fans more likely to show interest in baseball than other major sports leagues that were active at the time, such as the NBA or NHL.
As opposed to:

62% of NBA fans are in the 18-54 age demographic. It it the only professional sport in the US where people of a Caucasian ancestry are outnumbered for totalviewership. 53% of NBA fans make between $40-$75k per year.

Moop, I see you with the Kieth Sweat.
Got to show respect to legends
Old 04-12-2019, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

NFL gonna likely be gone in the next 25 years imo. I'll embrace the day I don't have to flip through channels on Sunday and see some tight-lipped coach being interviewed talking like he's a part of a top secret DARPA project.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There was an ESPN study recently about the NFL in the Age of Trump, how divided it had become.

And it was basically just like the military: all the white guys were Good ol' Boys who voted Trump, and all the black dudes were liberal brothers who were horrified.

There was no middle ground.
This part is really not true. But because we really don't have counter weight to the trump nonsense, most black folks vote for expediency sake w/Dems.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh yeah, one of my best friends literally hates Keith Sweat. So much so, that he won free tickets and gave them away to stranger.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:22 AM
Tickle-shits

This part is really not true. But because we really don't have counter weight to the trump nonsense, most black folks vote for expediency sake w/Dems.
Anecdote; don’t know a single black dude who I work for who DIDN'T vote Trump.
Old 04-12-2019, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Tokyosmash! View Post
Anecdote; don’t know a single black dude who I work for who DIDN'T vote Trump.
Anecdotes are not really relevant as the data would seem to show. By the same token, I don't know a single black person that voted for trump.
Old 04-12-2019, 01:06 PM
Oracle of GDD

Ok, I can agree to that.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:13 AM
Cole Trickle

https://www.theroot.com/pennsylvania...t-i-1834031944

Cliffs: Incompetent cop shoots dude thinking his gun was his taser. Had gun on wrong side per policy.

DA: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯