Racial Profiling, The Political Climate and You - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Go Back  Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion > Community Forums > General Discussion and Debate
Reload this Page >

Racial Profiling, The Political Climate and You

General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.

Racial Profiling, The Political Climate and You

Old 05-11-2018, 04:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Racial Profiling, The Political Climate and You

While most want to believe that it doesn't happen, it's definitely been alot more open in the past year or so.

Two black men were arrested at a Philadelphia Starbucks after they sat inside without ordering anything. Starbucks apologized and reached an undisclosed settlement with the men.

A pair of Native American teens on a college tour were briefly detained by police after the parent of another prospective student called police because she said they made her "nervous." School officials apologized.

A group of black women said a golf course in Pennsylvania called the police after accusing them of playing too slowly.

LA Fitness apologized to two black men who were booted from a gym in New Jersey and had the police called on them amid racial profiling allegations.

And this week, a white woman called police on a black Yale graduate for napping in her dorm's common room.

Then a few others, a group of black women guesting at AirBnB had police called on them because they didn't wave to a neighbor, and a former Presidential aide had the police called on him while he was moving into a NYC apartment.

Unfortunate, really.

But do folks really believe this doesn't happen?
Old 05-11-2018, 04:55 AM
Oracle of GDD

Default Re: Racial Profiling, The Political Climate and You

It will only get better if we completely ignore it and turn the other cheek!
Old 05-11-2018, 05:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think it's always happened but the rise of social media has made it more apparent.

I think there is a sector of our population that looks at the combination of race and something like that looks out of the norm as being something bad. And let me clarify with an example...

Let's say you live in a relatively quiet neighborhood near a small but busy downtown and you see a homeless looking white guy walking down the street. Not a big deal, right? Replace that white guy with a black guy and I bet these same people would call the cops. The point being this:

People of color doing normal things = okay
White people doing normal things = okay
People of color doing something suspicious = not okay
White people doing something suspicious = often gets benefit of doubt

Not saying this is always the case, but for a sector of the population, it certainly is and there in lies the problem.
Old 05-11-2018, 05:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm glad this sort of thing is being reported. I'm even more glad that people are starting to view this more and more negatively. It's been happening forever but now there seems to be negative consequences for it.
Old 05-11-2018, 05:19 AM
eight equals equals equals D

Originally Posted by black_EM1 View Post
Unfortunate, really.

Sure it happens - but I also think that these types of incidents aren't always racially motivated. There are plenty of non-blacks that are told they can't use the bathroom, or sleep in a public place - but those incidents don't make the news since there's no buzz surrounding them. With media outlets competing for eyeballs, stories surrounding race are thrust to the forefront because they're very polarizing. They get clicks and generate revenue.
Old 05-11-2018, 05:19 AM
INSERT TITLE HERE

Yes they do unfortunately.

Another one yesterday. Lady called the cops on four black women who rented an Airbnb across the street from her because they didn't wave to her.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/10/us/ai...rnd/index.html
Old 05-11-2018, 05:21 AM
Grandpa

I absolutely believe that it happens.

But I am not sure of the solution.

People in uniform who in other circumstances might be victims of racial profiling will perform the racial profiling themselves.
Old 05-11-2018, 05:23 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by newt2 View Post
Yes they do unfortunately.

Another one yesterday. Lady called the cops on four black women who rented an Airbnb across the street from her because they didn't wave to her.
The neighborhood did not know that it was an Airbnb house, so all the neighbors knew was that those people were not the expected people to see.

In that particular case, I believe the neighbor would've called regardless of the race of the personnel.

I don't want to talk about it too much because I don't want to appear to be trying to take away from the point, which is that racial profiling really happens.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:18 AM
816d16 owes me money!

Originally Posted by George Knighton View Post
The neighborhood did not know that it was an Airbnb house, so all the neighbors knew was that those people were not the expected people to see.

In that particular case, I believe the neighbor would've called regardless of the race of the personnel.

I don't want to talk about it too much because I don't want to appear to be trying to take away from the point, which is that racial profiling really happens.
You mean you don't want to sound LOGICAL?

lol
Old 05-11-2018, 06:20 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by usdm420 View Post
LOL.... :-)

No, I just don't want to leave anybody the impression that I do not realize that racial profiling is a problem.

In that one case, I believe the media might've been a little tough on the neighbors.

The owner of the home should have let the local authorities know by registering the site as a commercial property, and the owner should have let the local HOA know so that neighbors would not be so curious about strangers leaving with baggage.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by George Knighton View Post
LOL.... :-)

No, I just don't want to leave anybody the impression that I do not realize that racial profiling is a problem.

In that one case, I believe the media might've been a little tough on the neighbors.

The owner of the home should have let the local authorities know by registering the site as a commercial property, and the owner should have let the local HOA know so that neighbors would not be so curious about strangers leaving with baggage.
That would have been ideal. The owner herself actually agreed with calling the police about the individuals in question.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Notifying hoa is fine but notifying your neighbors is better. My neighbors are cool and nice, minus one nosy, so a knock on their door and let them know would help
Old 05-11-2018, 06:52 AM
INSERT TITLE HERE

lol
Logic tells me to not call the cops on someone unless you see an actual crime being committed. It would never occur to me to think that people coming out of my neighbors house with suitcases would be nefarious. I would just assume they're guests.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I dunno, to be fair, this was in Rialto, not exactly a vacation destination. LOL!
Old 05-11-2018, 06:59 AM
INSERT TITLE HERE

Right, I would have just assumed they were friends or family visiting the owner.

Maybe I'm a little different than most, I just don't pry into what's going on around the neighborhood. To someone who keeps to themselves like I do, that seemed out of line.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:59 AM
816d16 owes me money!

Logic tells me to not call the cops on someone unless you see an actual crime being committed. It would never occur to me to think that people coming out of my neighbors house with suitcases would be nefarious. I would just assume they're guests.

Logic tells me that if someone sees some people walking into their neighbor's home, and they've never seen them EVER.....and their neighbor isn't home. Someone MIGHT just call the Cops. And what if they were seen walking in and out WITHOUT luggage?

Would you or I? No. But I'm not going to claim racism when I know damn well how nosy people can get, especially in quiet neighborhoods.

And Rialto NOT being a getaway location would only escalate that thought process, no? Obviously in a tourist area, this probably would've gone unnoticed. In Rialto though? lol
You seeing any logic at all in that call yet, or nah?
Old 05-11-2018, 07:02 AM
GDD's Dr. Phil?

It definitely happens, but in my observation, it doesn't happen any more often than it ever has, and considering we live in a nation of 380 MILLION people, it's a microscopic issue. What I've noticed is that since the shift of where people get their news went from the tv networks to social media, patterns of reporting have emerged. Do you ever notice that when a story becomes popular, for the next few weeks, it's repeated in kind a few times? You go a month without hearing about a parent killing their kids, a story pops up that one drowns her kids in the tub, and within the next couple of weeks, there's 5 or 6 separate reports of different incidents. Does this indicate an uptick in parents killing their kids? NO, it indicates that it's a hot topic, and people looking to generate clicks and attention are reporting what they think will stir the pot. The race BS is it's own monster because it trends over and over, if you're a news source, down on traffic, all you have to do is find a single instance of a white person being mean to a black person in a nation on it's way to half a billion people to slap on your front page, and voila, your traffic is back. Ultimately, I feel this epidemic of discrimination is a media problem, not a people problem.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:05 AM
816d16 owes me money!

Originally Posted by oneludesol View Post
Ultimately, I feel this epidemic of discrimination is a media problem, not a people problem.
Ehhhhh it's still a "people" problem. But I do feel the media can take SOME of these stories and completely spin them out of context.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I wanna know what happened at the waffle house in Carolina
Old 05-11-2018, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm with you, I'm just wondering if this house was known to be empty and then was occupied all of a sudden. Who knows what goes through people's minds, but Airbnb and Rialto are not two things I would think would go together.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:10 AM
GDD's Dr. Phil?

That's flawed logic. I know my immediate neighbors, their habits, and their families. It's unavoidable to notice after living somewhere for as little as 6 months. If I saw people carrying things out of my neighbor's house without them being home, I would either approach them myself, or call the police, regardless of their race. It's a harmless interaction, the police swing by, find out who they are and that they're legit, and leave. Simple as that, no need to make a big deal out of it, no need to get all but hurt. On the other hand, the whole family could be tied up, tortured, raped, and awaiting execution somewhere in the house while people are carrying things out, and no one has the ***** to call the police out of fear of seeming racist. **** that ****.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:11 AM
GDD's Dr. Phil?

Ehhhhh it's still a "people" problem. But I do feel the media can take SOME of these stories and completely spin them out of context.
I worded that poorly, it's a people problem for sure, but the appearance of it being an epidemic is a media action.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:36 AM
GDD's DJ EX-M0D

Originally Posted by GS'D YA View Post
I wanna know what happened at the waffle house in Carolina
Of course it's he said she said until the camera starts rolling, but apparently he was being disruptive, arguing loud af with employees, asked to leave, didn't, cops were called. He clearly was "resisting" being detained/arrested. I have no problem with Billy Bob slamming his *** on the ground when he won't put his hands behind his back. Where Billy Bob fucked up was putting his hands on that boys neck and choking him like he's owed him money since Holyfield Tyson. I got no problem with anything the cop did outside of that, but the officer should be fired for putting his hands on his throat like that.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:48 AM
footwork mastery

Sad to hear the younger college age ones. I know older generations are bad about it but hoped our younger generations were getting rid of it
Old 05-11-2018, 07:49 AM
816d16 owes me money!

Originally Posted by .Grimace View Post
Sad to hear the younger college age ones. I know older generations are bad about it but hoped our younger generations were getting rid of it
Uhhhh the "girl" at the College that called the Cops is 43. Let that sink in....43 year old LIVING IN A DORM. Kinda cues you in on the type of loser we're dealing with.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.