Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on Windows XP

Old 08-04-2005, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on Windows XP

Ok I just purchased a used Dell Laptop with Windows 2000 installed. It is kinda running like crap because the computer originally had XP installed. I wanted to know if there was anyway to put XP back on it without paying $100 for the software. The XP sticker (COA) is still on the computer and has the registration number on it. Could I just use any XP disk or do I have to buy a new one????
Old 08-04-2005, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question on Windows XP (impr323)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by impr323 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok I just purchased a used Dell Laptop with Windows 2000 installed. It is kinda running like crap because the computer originally had XP installed. I wanted to know if there was anyway to put XP back on it without paying $100 for the software. The XP sticker is still on the computer and has the registration number on it. Could I just use any XP disk or do I have to buy a new one????</TD></TR></TABLE> Yup, you can use the XP disk. Just make sure its the proper version, friend of mine put XP pro on his XP box, and found out the factory sticker don't work no more *duuuur*
Old 08-04-2005, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question on Windows XP (CowboyIan)

Dont have ANY kind of disks though.....
Old 08-04-2005, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question on Windows XP (impr323)

that XP serial number is ONLY good with a DELL windows XP cd, it WILL NOT work with a normal off the shelf version of windows
Old 08-04-2005, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question on Windows XP (FifthGearOnline)

man that sucks....
Old 08-04-2005, 07:08 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Figure out how to use bittorrent.

Download XP with a serial or a cracked version.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:24 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FifthGearOnline &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">that XP serial number is ONLY good with a DELL windows XP cd, it WILL NOT work with a normal off the shelf version of windows</TD></TR></TABLE>

YES it will,
so long as it is an OEM version of the cd. Make sure to get Pro/Home depending on what your COA is for. I do it all the time when working on customers computers. I just use my OEM cd with sp2 and thier key. Works like a champ. I have also done this with HP/Compaq and Gateways.

Dont work on IBMs for some reason though.
Old 08-05-2005, 05:11 AM

Default Re: Question on Windows XP (tonyXcom)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tonyXcom &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">YES it will,
so long as it is an OEM version of the cd. Make sure to get Pro/Home depending on what your COA is for. I do it all the time when working on customers computers. I just use my OEM cd with sp2 and thier key. Works like a champ. I have also done this with HP/Compaq and Gateways.

Dont work on IBMs for some reason though.</TD></TR></TABLE>

depends on the build and version too... sometimes it doesn't work... i tried on a few client computers who have xp coa stickers... 90% of the time it'll work, the other 10.. i say ahh **** it.. let them use 2k..