Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

parents: tablets for kids?

Old 03-19-2019, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default parents: tablets for kids?

so we are looking to buy a tablet for a co-worker's kid who is 2 years old.

is it better to buy a Used ipad/android tablet or a New toddler built tablet by companies like Leapfrog????

any advice greatly appreciated!
Old 03-19-2019, 11:52 AM
Nu Sigma Alpha

Default Re: parents: tablets for kids?

What about an Amazon Fire? Their 7" 8 GB tablet is $49.99
Old 03-19-2019, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by K.F14 View Post
Yes we are open to ANY suggestions.

Thank you for that one too.....

What are the pros and cons to getting a "toddler tablet" vs. a used Apple Ipad or Andoid for a 2 year old???
Old 03-19-2019, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by K.F14 View Post
forgive me for the noob questions but does Amazon Fire have a download area like Play Store or Itunes where we could download toddler applications?
Old 03-19-2019, 12:01 PM
eight equals equals equals D

Fire tablet. But would not get a tablet for a 2 year old. They'll have plenty of time to get addicted to screens later on.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Tim2179 View Post
Fire tablet. But would not get a tablet for a 2 year old. They'll have plenty of time to get addicted to screens later on.
True we thought about that as well, but we know the parents already spoke about allowing the child to use it ONLY during "emergency" usage
Old 03-19-2019, 12:05 PM

why are you buying a tablet for a co-workers kid doe?
Old 03-19-2019, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Tim2179 View Post
why are you buying a tablet for a co-workers kid doe?
he's done a lot for the company, puts in many extra hours for team projects and has probably the best attitude of us all (without even trying, he has boosted morale for the lot)

forgot to mention it's his kids birthday.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:10 PM

Wait Until Preschool

Just because toddlers like to push buttons and watch videos does not mean they are ready for a computer. Experts recommend waiting until your child is at least preschool age. “Children under two years of age learn best from real-world experiences and interactions, and each minute spent in front of a screen-based device is a minute when your child is not exploring the world and using their senses, which is extremely important in their development process,” says Dr. Carolyn Jaynes, a learning designer for Leapfrog Enterprises. “However, by age three, many children are active media users and can benefit from electronic media with educational content. This content often uses strategies such as repeating an idea, presenting images and sounds that capture attention, and using child rather than adult voices for the characters.”

Your child may be ready sooner or later, depending on the level of supervision required. “In a supervised environment, children as young as four or five are able to engage in learning activities using smartphones and tablets of all kinds,” says Jeannie Galindo, supervisor of instructional technology for the Manatee County School District in Florida. “In an unsupervised environment, I wouldn't recommend a smartphone or tablet purchase for a child until at least between the ages of 11 and 13.”
Old 03-19-2019, 12:32 PM
that's no moon

You can find “experts” saying to wait until teenage years. I’m guessing most of H-T played video games from a young age. Also interested in how many parents that are anti-digital let their children play concussion sports.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:42 PM
816d16 owes me money!

I would skip over the "kid tablets" like Leapfrog, etc....because they're built cheap and shitty. It'll be broken or malfunctioning after 2-3 months. I'd just get a Kindle tablet or refurb'd iPad.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do not buy a tablet for a 2 year old.. lol
Old 03-19-2019, 01:03 PM
that's no moon

Originally Posted by usdm420 View Post
I would skip over the "kid tablets" like Leapfrog, etc....because they're built cheap and shitty. It'll be broken or malfunctioning after 2-3 months. I'd just get a Kindle tablet or refurb'd iPad.
IPad is the way to go.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:06 PM
816d16 owes me money!

Originally Posted by 020 View Post

IPad is the way to go.
I would concur.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

fire tablet, best bang for buck
Old 03-19-2019, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

leapad3 or fire kids tablet.
leapad has things even a 2 yr can do. good for educational games from 3-5?
fire kids is less restrictive, can download games. lots of stuff included if youre a prime member.

I'm not commenting on appropriateness, that isn't on you, that's on the parents. don't be mad if you get the kid a tablet and he/she doesn't used it for a year.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys.

Yeah its for a Birthday gift and to my knowledge, there are many great applications for even 2 year olds to learn.......how much the kid uses the tablet is up to the parent but if it were me it would be for emergency uses only.

And i don't see any issue with it at all.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:28 PM
Tickle-shits

3 y/o has had a tablet for a year or so, amazing array of educational apps/games available for the kiddos.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:29 PM
Prairie Dog Breeder

In all honesty, and I know it's a gift, but maybe you can find a used ipad on craigslist. Not that you need to come across as cheap, but if it is for a kid that young, I would expect it to be dropped/handled roughly...plus a kid isn't going to need the processing power of an A12/A12x chip. Just find something post A7+ and that will be able to be updated/relevant for a while longer.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:34 PM
Nu Sigma Alpha

Originally Posted by mixxed View Post
forgive me for the noob questions but does Amazon Fire have a download area like Play Store or Itunes where we could download toddler applications?
I have my Fire with me right now, Amazon has their own app store and one of the categories is Education. You can also download apps like Netflix too.

I know you get the Kindle app on the iPad/Android but the Fire doubles as a Kindle too. There's also parental controls on the Fire too so the kid can't access adult content or accidental purchase something from the Amazon store.

Whatever tablet you decide to get, make sure you get a real beefy case for it so it doesn't crack or break.

Old 03-19-2019, 01:41 PM
that's no moon

Originally Posted by Tokyosmash! View Post
3 y/o has had a tablet for a year or so, amazing array of educational apps/games available for the kiddos.
They are great for kids.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:05 PM
CD8
Honda-Tech Member

Dont buy a nice one yet, it will be dropped.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:41 PM
I ask Twitter, not xtrac1

iPad all day. Just get a good case.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:42 PM
Paragraph Alert

Originally Posted by 020 View Post

They are great for kids.
No they're aren't. Pretty sure most of the science is revealing that they are terrible for kids, including "educational" software.

The software is often designed so you can operate it nearly brain dead and is purposefully designed to be addictive. Scientists are now seeing evidence that it is literally altering neural pathways in children potentially similar to that of addicts and it is great at doing it because the children's brains are in prime development stage. It's basically nearly all of the bad of social media multiplied because their brain is in such a vulnerable state.

That and it likely makes them WORSE with technology. The software is so damn simplistic to use that it requires almost no problem solving or critical thinking skills to operate. This is likely why the younger generations in the latest OECD studies are now getting beaten by EVERYONE, including the oldest tested generations of Americans, in technology aptitude testing. The researchers were actually shocked at how horrendous the test scores were.

Old 03-19-2019, 03:17 PM
that's no moon

Originally Posted by ActiveAero View Post
No they're aren't. Pretty sure most of the science is revealing that they are terrible for kids, including "educational" software.

The software is often designed so you can operate it nearly brain dead and is purposefully designed to be addictive. Scientists are now seeing evidence that it is literally altering neural pathways in children potentially similar to that of addicts and it is great at doing it because the children's brains are in prime development stage. It's basically nearly all of the bad of social media multiplied because their brain is in such a vulnerable state.

That and it likely makes them WORSE with technology. The software is so damn simplistic to use that it requires almost no problem solving or critical thinking skills to operate. This is likely why the younger generations in the latest OECD studies are now getting beaten by EVERYONE, including the oldest tested generations of Americans, in technology aptitude testing. The researchers were actually shocked at how horrendous the test scores were.
1: which OCED studies?
2: which studies? How long-term? How much did video games mess up your generation? Do you remember the Mario fears?

edit: youngest cohort I found so far from OCED suggests that tablets are positive unless used for more than 6 hours daily (which suggests comorbidity to me).

http://www.oecd.org/els/health-syste...igital-Age.pdf

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.