Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P. Diddy Accused of Using Sweatshop Labor

Old 10-28-2003, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default P. Diddy Accused of Using Sweatshop Labor

<FONT SIZE="+2">P. Diddy Accused of Using Sweatshop Labor</FONT>

By MADISON J. GRAY, Associated Press Writer

NEW YORK - Sean John, the clothing line of rap music mogul Sean "P. Diddy" Combs, is under scrutiny from a workers' rights group for allegedly using laborers from a Honduran sweatshop.

The director of the anti-sweatshop National Labor Committee, Charles Kernaghan, released a report Tuesday detailing poor working conditions at the Southeast Textiles factory in Choloma, Honduras, where Sean John clothes are made.

Kernaghan and 19-year-old Lydda Eli Gonzalez, a former worker at the factory, stood outside the site of a Sean John store set to open next spring as Gonzalez described the alleged abuses that took place at the factory.

"We should be paid what we're owed. We make so little that it's not enough to have a dignified life," said Gonzalez, who said she was fired after she tried to organize a union.

Workers are subjected to daily body searches, contaminated drinking water and 11- to 12-hour daily shifts, the report said. In exchange, <u>they are paid 24 cents for each $50 Sean John sweat shirt they sew</u>.

But the factory owner, Steve Hawkins, told The Associated Press in a telephone interview that Gonzalez was a disgruntled worker fired for producing poor quality merchandise, not clocking in when she arrived and repeatedly arriving late.

Hawkins, a native of North Carolina, said the charge that conditions at his factory were substandard "is completely groundless."

When Gonzalez was fired, she received a severance check equivalent to two-and-a-half months salary, Hawkins said. And while the minimum wage in Honduras is 55 cents an hour, he said his workers make an average of 90 cents per hour.

A representative of Sean John said the clothing line was unaware of the conditions alleged by Kernaghan.

"We had absolutely no knowledge of the situation; however, we take these matters very seriously," said Jeff Tweedy, executive vice president of Sean John. "We have a director of compliance who will be looking into this matter immediately."

The report also found women were given mandatory pregnancy tests, and that those who tested positive were fired, Kernaghan said.

The abuses are violations of Honduran labor laws but are rarely enforced for fear of corporate divestment, Kernaghan said. His organization's repeated attempts to contact Sean John have gone without a response, he said.

Kernaghan said the study was not an attack on Combs.

"This is his company," Kernaghan said, pointing toward the store at Fifth Avenue and 41st Street. "He could turn this around tomorrow. He could set a new standard."

The goal, Kernaghan said, is not to have Sean John pull out of Honduras and leave the workers jobless but to improve working conditions and eliminate human rights abuses.

According to the report, about 80 percent of the Southeast Textiles factory production is for the Sean John clothing line. The other 20 percent is for Rocawear, co-founded by rapper and producer Jay-Z and rap music producer Damon Dash.

A call placed to Rocawear after business hours Monday wasn't returned.

Damn hes a real bad boy

What do you think of Sweatshops and Factories of this nature?
Old 10-28-2003, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: P. Diddy Accused of Using Sweatshop Labor (Xumarius)

who cares, nike has been doing that since day 1. If they are willing to work in those conditions, and there is no law in that country against it....**** it.
Old 10-28-2003, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: P. Diddy Accused of Using Sweatshop Labor (DragII)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DragII &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">who cares, nike has been doing that since day 1. If they are willing to work in those conditions, and there is no law in that country against it....**** it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

so it's ok?
Old 10-28-2003, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Dman that sucks, while these people are breaking their backs, he is over there making millions!
Old 10-28-2003, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: P. Diddy Accused of Using Sweatshop Labor (EL Vap133)

dont feel bad, the kids working were probably auditioning for the next making of the band.
Old 10-28-2003, 05:46 PM

it's not ok, but it's simply a case of the media blowing something up again.

Hell I bet 90% of the stuff you are wearing right now was made by some 12 year old in cambodia or somewhere like that.

BTW: Xumarius posts like this aren't going to sway the votes from putting you up on the next Survivor thread.
Old 10-28-2003, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DragII &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">who cares, nike has been doing that since day 1. If they are willing to work in those conditions, and there is no law in that country against it....**** it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Its not that they want to work there, its that they have to, they have no other way to make money to eat. Dont be such an insensitive *******. Sweatshops are horrible, no better than slavery IMO.
gmoore
Old 10-28-2003, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: P. Diddy Accused of Using Sweatshop Labor (blackhatchy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blackhatchy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dont feel bad, the kids working were probably auditioning for the next making of the band.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Haha! Making the band Venezuela style y0!
Old 10-28-2003, 05:54 PM

Default Re: P. Diddy Accused of Using Sweatshop Labor (tegunderpressure)

0% percent of my brain cares about this.
Old 10-28-2003, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tegunderpressure &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Its not that they want to work there, its that they have to, they have no other way to make money to eat. Dont be such an insensitive *******. Sweatshops are horrible, no better than slavery IMO.
gmoore</TD></TR></TABLE>

so your beef is with the country, not pdiddy.

Old 10-28-2003, 05:59 PM
H-T White Ops

wow. They're proud of paying those people more than honduran minimum wage. $.55 an hour MW. **** that.
Old 10-28-2003, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (P1mpSlap)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by P1mpSlap &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
BTW: Xumarius posts like this aren't going to sway the votes from putting you up on the next Survivor thread.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You mean you and fowler?

Hmmmm...also ask me if I give a **** about you two?
Old 10-28-2003, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DragII &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

so your beef is with the country, not pdiddy.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Both, in a sense, it sucks that these countries have such a shitty economy, but its even worse that people such as P Diddy flock to these countries to exploit their stricken population.
gmoore
Old 10-28-2003, 06:29 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by P1mpSlap &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it's not ok, but it's simply a case of the media blowing something up again.

Hell I bet 90% of the stuff you are wearing right now was made by some 12 year old in cambodia or somewhere like that.

BTW: Xumarius posts like this aren't going to sway the votes from putting you up on the next Survivor thread.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh what I love is that in the next few years all the furniture you buy will also be made by 10 year old little Chinese girls. I hate this crap, everyone in America needs to make their things in America otherwise America will become the next Mexico or China. I hope Combs fixes the situation or is sent to live where those kids are.

What sucks the most about this world is that we cannot stop supporting injustice. Because none of us is truly self sufficient.
Old 10-28-2003, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tegunderpressure &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Both, in a sense, it sucks that these countries have such a shitty economy, but its even worse that people such as P Diddy flock to these countries to exploit their stricken population.
gmoore</TD></TR></TABLE>

People will exploit others as much as they can. And people wont care as long as they have the things they want...
Old 10-28-2003, 07:35 PM
sk8

Who's going to chop

"making the shirt, pdiddy style"
Old 10-28-2003, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Xumarius &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

so it's ok? </TD></TR></TABLE>

no it's not ok but they most likely did not have an idea, we were talking about this today in sociology class i suggest the movie "the Big One"(great movie about this same things kind of old but interesting)

what usually happens is the company makes a contract with an organizing company to set up the labor facilities and where they are located and what is in them. So maybe they do know , or they don't

now some companies are having requirements for have contracts with them ie: Nike requires bathrooms , minimum age 16, and some other stuff i can't remember, and if the oraganizing company can't comply they don't get the contract.

just what i learned today.
Old 10-28-2003, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Xumarius &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

People will exploit others as much as they can. And people wont care as long as they have the things they want... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Very true, and sadly, all the activists against sweat shops would probably flip **** if they had to pay some american 10 bucks to make their shoes, only then for Nike to jack the price up to 120 for some basic sneaks.
gmoore
Old 10-28-2003, 07:55 PM

Default Re: (Neptune)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Neptune &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Oh what I love is that in the next few years all the furniture you buy will also be made by 10 year old little Chinese girls. I hate this crap, everyone in America needs to make their things in America otherwise America will become the next Mexico or China. I hope Combs fixes the situation or is sent to live where those kids are.

What sucks the most about this world is that we cannot stop supporting injustice. Because none of us is truly self sufficient. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Agreed. I support American made products and will usually purchase them before I buy something that's made elsewhere, but it's hard to. Usually it's tools and apliances. That's about it. But hey, whatever I can do to help.

Old 10-29-2003, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by P1mpSlap &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Agreed. I support American made products and will usually purchase them before I buy something that's made elsewhere, but it's hard to. Usually it's tools and apliances. That's about it. But hey, whatever I can do to help.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

New Balance Shoes i believe are all made in the US

also soon about like 80% of all accounting jobs are being transfered to Indonesia (something my teacher keeps stressing to us)
Old 10-29-2003, 06:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (KoRE)

I saw a show about this on Discovery a bout 2 weeks ago. It showcased all kinds of US citizens speaking out on behalf of all kinds of 3rd world countries that were used to manufacture products sold in the US. People complained about US companies using them as cheap labor and what not. The Producers of the show then visited REAL manufacturing plants in a few different 3rd world nations. Pretty much all of the people were working in what we consider bad conditions. The environment was busy and crowded. It looked just like manufacturing plants here in the US. The only real big difference was these people were paid much less. The crew interviewed several workers and to my surprise the workers were more grateful for these jobs than anyone I have ever meet. These manufacturing plans are what keep these areas from being run down and over run by crime. These people never criticized the business for the work environment. The only people they did criticize was the people in the US protesting against these "Sweat Shops". They went on to say that these people protest businesses that do this, but never really took time to understand the other side of it. These business are providing 3rd world countries with honest jobs that while the pay scale could not hold a candle to the worst paying job in the USA is very good pay for their country. These people can purchase food, clothes, homes, and vehicles just like we can here in the US. This was the case with the shops that were producing products for Cathy Lee. When the US people started boycotting her products the company, while still making money pulled the production plants out of these countries and it cause those areas to fall in to HEAVY POVERTY, causing many women to turn to prostitution and many other people to crime just to get food on the table. Think about this next time you criticize a company for using 3rd world labor. If the people in these countries didn't like it, they are welcome to quit. These businesses are not forcing people to work, they are only providing the opportunity to work and make good honest money. $2/hour goes a long way in a 3rd world nation, and those people are grateful.
Old 10-29-2003, 07:10 AM

Default Re: (DOSPOWND)

most celebrities with their names on them dont know where there stuff is made..the work is contract d and out source d thru their agents to designer s then to manufacturer s who could be about anywhere cept the USA..they don t care about where the clothing is made..just the check in the end
Old 10-29-2003, 07:15 AM

90 cents a hour, whoopy ******* do!
Old 10-29-2003, 07:32 AM
EPIC TUNING

Default Re: (sparq)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sparq &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">90 cents a hour, whoopy ******* do!</TD></TR></TABLE>

......thats probably alot in Honduras
Old 10-29-2003, 07:35 AM

Default Re: (DOSPOWND)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DOSPOWND &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I saw a show about this on Discovery a bout 2 weeks ago. It showcased all kinds of US citizens speaking out on behalf of all kinds of 3rd world countries that were used to manufacture products sold in the US. People complained about US companies using them as cheap labor and what not. The Producers of the show then visited REAL manufacturing plants in a few different 3rd world nations. Pretty much all of the people were working in what we consider bad conditions. The environment was busy and crowded. It looked just like manufacturing plants here in the US. The only real big difference was these people were paid much less. The crew interviewed several workers and to my surprise the workers were more grateful for these jobs than anyone I have ever meet. These manufacturing plans are what keep these areas from being run down and over run by crime. These people never criticized the business for the work environment. The only people they did criticize was the people in the US protesting against these "Sweat Shops". They went on to say that these people protest businesses that do this, but never really took time to understand the other side of it. These business are providing 3rd world countries with honest jobs that while the pay scale could not hold a candle to the worst paying job in the USA is very good pay for their country. These people can purchase food, clothes, homes, and vehicles just like we can here in the US. This was the case with the shops that were producing products for Cathy Lee. When the US people started boycotting her products the company, while still making money pulled the production plants out of these countries and it cause those areas to fall in to HEAVY POVERTY, causing many women to turn to prostitution and many other people to crime just to get food on the table. Think about this next time you criticize a company for using 3rd world labor. If the people in these countries didn't like it, they are welcome to quit. These businesses are not forcing people to work, they are only providing the opportunity to work and make good honest money. $2/hour goes a long way in a 3rd world nation, and those people are grateful.</TD></TR></TABLE>

you just proved my theory, americans stick their noses in everything they possible can stick it in. if something seems to be wrong in a location other than america, expect america to barge in and fix it, or in this case, destroy it. if something is wrong, in due time it will be fixed, by the people that actually know what they are doing. many americans have 2 jobs. a job to support themselves and others with financial means, and a job to take care of whoever is loved by you. whoever said we had a third job butting in on every other countries business? sure the factories are creating products for america through american companies, but the factories are NOT in america. so if something needs to be changed from unfair working conditions, it will sooner or later happen, and justice will be served. ****** americans... sometimes i am ashamed to be an american. dont get me wrong, i love my country because its the only place i see myself being able to live the way i want to live. but we are nosey and cant keep to ourselves. we create war like its a game. and we find anything to be a threat. america needs to lighten up. america needs to get drunk. imagine, every single human being drunk all at once... wow... thats a whole nother discussion right there

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: P. Diddy Accused of Using Sweatshop Labor

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.