Owning an iPhone or iPad is the best indicator of wealth in the United States - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Go Back  Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion > Community Forums > General Discussion and Debate
Reload this Page >

Owning an iPhone or iPad is the best indicator of wealth in the United States

General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.

Owning an iPhone or iPad is the best indicator of wealth in the United States

Old 07-09-2018, 03:10 PM
rookn00b

Default Owning an iPhone or iPad is the best indicator of wealth in the United States

according to a new National Bureau of Economic Research working paper by economists from the University of Chicago.

In 1992, the strongest sign of a rich family was if they used Grey Poupon mustard, while in 2004, it was Land O' Lakes butter and Kikkoman soy sauce. In 2016, it was owning an iPhone or iPad, a trend that will likely continue into the future with the iPhone X and the smartphone's upcoming models.

"Across all years in our data, no individual brand is as predictive of being high-income as owning an Apple iPhone in 2016," researchers Marianne Bertrand and Emir Kamenica wrote.

The study utilized data from Mediamark Research Intelligence, with a sample size of 6,394 people. The data included bi-annual questionnaires and information obtained from face-to-face interviews such as household income.

According to the researchers, owning an iPhone gave them a 69.1 percent chance of correctly guessing that a person was in the high-income bracket, or top quartile, of his or her group, such as single adults or couples with dependents. Meanwhile, owning an iPad has a slightly lower success rate, at 66.9 percent.

For 2016, other significant indicators of wealth include subscribing to Verizon at 61 percent and owning a generic Android phone at 59.5 percent.

Meanwhile, in terms of products, the best indicator of wealth in 2016 was traveling in the continental United States at 70.9 percent and owning a passport at 70.3 percent. These signs are a far cry from the top products of previous years. In 1992, it was owning an automatic dishwasher at 71.4 percent and using dishwater detergent at 70.2 percent. In 2004, it was buying a new vehicle at 73.6 percent and, again, using dishwater detergent at 71.6 percent.

The study took a look at 2016 data, but the result of owning iPhones and iPads being the best indicator that a person is rich may continue into the succeeding years.

This year, Apple is reportedly looking to launch three iPhone models. Two of the 2018 iPhones, the 5.8-inch OLED iPhone and the 6.5-inch OLED iPhone, are expected to follow, and possibly even exceed the $1,000 price point of the current iPhone X.

Apple, however, is reportedly looking to release a budget iPhone model compared to the OLED iPhones. The 6.1-inch LCD iPhone is said to be priced at $700, and it remains to be seen whether owning it will still be a sign of being a rich person.

https://www.techtimes.com/articles/2...study-says.htm

<---doesn't own an iPhone or iPad
Old 07-09-2018, 03:13 PM
Prairie Dog Breeder

Default Re: Owning an iPhone or iPad is the best indicator of wealth in the United States

I own an iphone and have that exact soy sauce! Oh my gosh, what does this mean!?
Old 07-09-2018, 03:15 PM
rookn00b

Default Re: Owning an iPhone or iPad is the best indicator of wealth in the United States

Originally Posted by 93Accord117 View Post
I own an iphone and have that exact soy sauce! Oh my gosh, what does this mean!?

Old 07-09-2018, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

green text breh
Old 07-09-2018, 03:16 PM
Resident Hoser #1

Aaron Mamiit, you need a kick right in your *****.
Old 07-09-2018, 04:23 PM
Touching My Member

bruh, I've got an iphone, Land o Lakes butter, and Kerrygold butter.
Old 07-09-2018, 04:30 PM
Prairie Dog Breeder

Originally Posted by .Manny. View Post
bruh, I've got an iphone, Land o Lakes butter, and Kerrygold butter.
Look at this baller over here! I'm positive your DD is Chiron.

On a different note, when I was in South America I only saw two people who had an iphone. Anecdotal, of course, however they were quite successful and their phone was the 4s. I do know insurance companies look at certain buying habits which indicate wealth and good credit - with floor pads for chairs/furniture being a strong indicator of that. Makes sense if you think about it though.
Old 07-09-2018, 04:45 PM
Tickle-shits

I think I have 4 iPads in my house, both my wife and I have X’s, I think it’s agaisnt the law to mention me and wealth in the same sentence
Old 07-09-2018, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I only use my iPad for work and surfing proper websites and I haven't had it that long. There is a reason I stayed away from Apple. This thing is a POS.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:18 PM
something gnarly

Just financed my iPhone AND iPad last month!
Old 07-09-2018, 05:40 PM
Touching My Member

Originally Posted by 93Accord117 View Post
Look at this baller over here! I'm positive your DD is Chiron.

On a different note, when I was in South America I only saw two people who had an iphone. Anecdotal, of course, however they were quite successful and their phone was the 4s. I do know insurance companies look at certain buying habits which indicate wealth and good credit - with floor pads for chairs/furniture being a strong indicator of that. Makes sense if you think about it though.
lulz!
Old 07-09-2018, 05:48 PM
I like to party

Considering every single person I see sitting in the waiting room to collect welfare is playing on an Iphone, I'm not sure I agree with this finding.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:23 PM
Drunk Wagon Pilot

Originally Posted by 2LEM1 View Post
Considering every single person I see sitting in the waiting room to collect welfare is playing on an Iphone, I'm not sure I agree with this finding.
You're collecting welfare my du?

Old 07-09-2018, 06:24 PM
Grandpa

I don’t know about all this.

LOL
Old 07-09-2018, 07:00 PM
HT White Ops

You just admitted going to the welfare office. Kinda sounds like more than once too. No wonder you own an Android

Do you have a Gofundme page I can donate to?
Old 07-09-2018, 07:12 PM
I like to party

Lol, I work for the county doing IT in the social services building geniuses.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Lol, I work for the county doing IT in the social services building geniuses.
can attest. government worker = not making a lot of money and probably almost worse off than the person collecting welfare. but i suppose my pension makes up for that.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:47 AM
Loves Tossing Salad

I has both, and both are paid off! Where my riches?!
Old 07-10-2018, 06:47 AM
I ask Twitter, not xtrac1

6 Iphones 3 Ipads and two apple tvs check in.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:49 AM
Loves Tossing Salad

Oh yea, well my 7 year old macbook pro still running strong fam
Old 07-10-2018, 06:58 AM
Man U FTW

Never owned an Apple anything and have no intentions of ever doing so. I've never understood the hype...
Old 07-10-2018, 06:58 AM
something gnarly

Apple stuff just works
Old 07-10-2018, 07:22 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by Schister66 View Post
Never owned an Apple anything and have no intentions of ever doing so. I've never understood the hype...
It's not hype, it's just that when you get tired of having to fool with things or being every company's beta tester, you can be sure that Apple stuff just works.

It's less about an individual piece of hardware but how everything integrates and coordinates.

iCloud, iMessages, iMac, MacBook, iPhone, iPad, everything just works and they talk to each other automatically and well, generally speaking. When you get a new iPhone, you can make a phone call from your iMac within moments, and use iMessaging from the new iPhone on the iMac within moments.

It's so inconvenient when somebody tries to join one of my work groups without an iPhone, that the team members generally jump him immediately and ask why he'd try to join and screw everybody. Many of the groups require iOS devices, for various reasons regarding security.

Huge teams of people watch an event at the same time and share information through various file extensions that are not available via Google and Microsoft products.

When it is less about the hardware, and more about the work, that's where Apple really shines, IMHO. :-)

EDIT: One of the many banes of my existence is the horde of GS-somethings who use Microsoft Office at work and try to communicate in those venue. It doesn't work well. We can use what they send us, but they can't work as quickly as we do.

Beware MS Outlook. I'm telling you...it's not as safe as you think. :-)
Old 07-10-2018, 07:27 AM
I said I don't want a title!

Originally Posted by Schister66 View Post
Originally Posted by George Knighton View Post
It's not hype, it's just that when you get tired of having to fool with things or being every company's beta tester, you can be sure that Apple stuff just works.

It's less about an individual piece of hardware but how everything integrates and coordinates.

iCloud, iMessages, iMac, MacBook, iPhone, iPad, everything just works and they talk to each other automatically and well, generally speaking. When you get a new iPhone, you can make a phone call from your iMac within moments, and use iMessaging from the new iPhone on the iMac within moments.

It's so inconvenient when somebody tries to join one of my work groups without an iPhone, that the team members generally jump him immediately and ask why he'd try to join and screw everybody. Many of the groups require iOS devices, for various reasons regarding security.

Huge teams of people watch an event at the same time and share information through various file extensions that are not available via Google products.

When it is less about the hardware, and more about the work, that's where Apple really shines, IMHO. :-)
I was waiting for GK to start in on his love affair with Apple products. Did not take long.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 5SpdH22 View Post
Apple stuff just works
Sure it does...

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.