OMGZ. I car thread in GDD! ***Official What did you do to your car today thread*** - Page 3 - Honda-Tech

OMGZ. I car thread in GDD! ***Official What did you do to your car today thread***

Old 05-30-2012, 07:12 AM   #51
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OMGZ. I car thread in GDD! ***Official What did you do to your car today thread**

Silicone that bitch.
portfl0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:13 AM   #52
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OMGZ. I car thread in GDD! ***Official What did you do to your car today thread**

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LEM1 View Post
It still looks wet.
thats what she said.
junior40er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:13 AM   #53
Honda-Tech Member

Old 05-30-2012, 07:20 AM   #54
I like to party

Quote:
Originally Posted by portfl0w View Post
Dayum. Let's get together and do pics, 2LEM. Where in SD do you stay?
Anytime brotha! I live pretty central, I guess it'd be considered SouthPark. Anytime you take a trip down here hit me up!
2LEM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:25 AM   #55
Honda-Tech Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sCeRaXn View Post
I still havent figured out why they chose to put large rubber seals literally an inch away from the exhaust manifold
Was not surprised to see it's a VW product after reading this.
njn63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:45 AM   #56
Honda-Tech Double Platinum Member

Quote:
Silicone that bitch.
Nah that would just make things worse lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by njn63 View Post
Was not surprised to see it's a VW product after reading this.
Yea its a pretty shitty design, but its VAG so ive come to expect that lol

I dont have the heat shields on the manifold anymore so hopefully it will last a little longer now. The heat shields have an opening right next to the caps, so all of the hot air that gets trapped between the manifold and shield gets shot directly onto them. Everyone thinks those heat shields keep the engine bay cooler, but its actually the opposite. Theyre there to keep the cats as hot as possible so they actually make the engine bay hotter. According to my laser thermometer the back side of my engine stays over 40deg cooler without those shields
sCeRaXn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:01 AM   #57
Honda-Tech Member

Quote:
Yea its a pretty shitty design, but its VAG so ive come to expect that lol
Pretty bad but there are worse VAG designs. Look up a valve cover gasket for a 2000ish TDI once... it's integrated into the valve cover and has to be replaced as an assembly.
Quote:
I dont have the heat shields on the manifold anymore so hopefully it will last a little longer now. The heat shields have an opening right next to the caps, so all of the hot air that gets trapped between the manifold and shield gets shot directly onto them. Everyone thinks those heat shields keep the engine bay cooler, but its actually the opposite. Theyre there to keep the cats as hot as possible so they actually make the engine bay hotter. According to my laser thermometer the back side of my engine stays over 40deg cooler without those shields
Are these the plugs?

Is there a cover for them or is it just that rubber? Maybe a plate over the plug with some heat shielding would help?
njn63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:12 AM   #58
Honda-Tech Member

Drove it to work. Later I will be filling up with gas on my way home. Might even run her through the car wash if I'm feeling saucy.
RynoDyno312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:14 AM   #59
Stroker

Dropped my d2 off at the muffler shop to have the exhaust welded back to the pass side header. :lol: I was just driving down the road and it blew off. To much flogging it in the creek.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:14 AM   #60
SHAME ON YOU REBECCA!

Replaced slave cylinder and changed oil.
kidcool1977 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:20 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by njn63 View Post
Pretty bad but there are worse VAG designs. Look up a valve cover gasket for a 2000ish TDI once... it's integrated into the valve cover and has to be replaced as an assembly.

Are these the plugs?

Is there a cover for them or is it just that rubber? Maybe a plate over the plug with some heat shielding would help?
Yep, thats the little bastards. The plugs are actually metal with a rubber coating, and there isnt a cover for them. There really isnt room to make one either. Its hard to tell how close it is to the manifold from that pic, but i cant even squeeze my pinky finger between the two. Id say theres maybe 3/16" of space at the most

And youre right about there being worse designs. You see the tensioner above and to the left of that seal? Well it uses a two piece gasket thats a major PITA. Theres a flat piece that has to be lined up absolutely perfectly, and another half moon shaped seal thats a major bitch to get in. To make it worse you only have a few mm worth of space to work in unless you remove the entire valvetrain for those two little seals. lol
Old 05-30-2012, 08:31 AM   #62
Honda-Tech Member

put gas in it last night before work, drove home on the freeway, shat bricks when a chp rode my *** for a mile or two (no more fix it tickets plz ), and then proceeded to **** bricks again while driving through the mickey d's drive thru

@2LEM1: nice em1 man, super clean
mattyfo0z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:52 AM   #63
Honda-Tech Member

Quote:
Nah that would just make things worse lol
Oh. That's whack.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:54 AM   #64
Swaggylicious

Drove it...hit vtak and boost...parked it

yuh
$amGD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:57 AM   #65
I like to party

Quote:
Originally Posted by .mattyz_ View Post
@2LEM1: nice em1 man, super clean
Thanks buddy!
2LEM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:57 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by RynoDyno312 View Post
Drove it to work. Later I will be filling up with gas on my way home. Might even run her through the car wash if I'm feeling saucy.
For the love of god, please dont do it. Wash it by hand with a good soap. Youll thank me when your car doesnt look hazy from 50 million microscopic scratches

Quote:
Oh. That's whack.
The fit is so tight that it would just end up squeezing most of it out. Whats left wont really do anything except make it a PITA to get out later. The plugs are press fit in there and theyre pretty tight. In order to get them out you have to pierce a screwdriver into the side of them so that you can pry it out. Many people struggle with putting them in since theyre so tight, but i get around that by freezing the plugs so that theyll shrink and slip right in
Old 05-30-2012, 11:00 AM   #67
Honda-Tech Member

Oh. Good idea.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:05 AM   #68

Quote:
Oh. Good idea.
Metallurgy is your friend lol
Old 05-30-2012, 11:06 AM   #69
Honda-Tech Member

I did my caps again a couple months ago when I replaced my leaking auxiliary coolant pump. Have a small leak somewhere else I need to track down.

Next maintenance is to replace the torn inner cv boot.
Danza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:06 AM   #70
Honda-Tech Member

Ain't that the truth?!
Old 05-30-2012, 11:08 AM   #71
Honda-Tech Member

Didn't freeze them though, and rubbed a very thin layer of sealant around it per blauparts instructions.
Danza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:08 AM   #72
Honda-Tech Member

Quote:
For the love of god, please dont do it. Wash it by hand with a good soap. Youll thank me when your car doesnt look hazy from 50 million microscopic scratches
I don't keep my cars long enough for that to happen. I get it waxed fairly often and never let it get THAT dirty. So far so good. If it were a nicer car I would opt for the hand-wash (my BMW never went through a machine wash, IIRC), but as it is I'm fine with going the cheap/easy route. Plus I live 1.5 minutes from the car wash so I can do a proper drying job and use detailing products afterward. It still sparkles.
RynoDyno312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:12 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danza View Post
I did my caps again a couple months ago when I replaced my leaking auxiliary coolant pump. Have a small leak somewhere else I need to track down.

Next maintenance is to replace the torn inner cv boot.
My guess would either be the tensioner or the bottom corner of the VC gasket. Or, like me, it could be your cam cap again. Ive heard of them leaking within a few hundred miles of replacement :crook

Atleast the axles/CV's are easy to replace on these cars
Old 05-30-2012, 11:13 AM   #74
Honda-Tech Member

If you didn't keep your Bimmer, why does it matter how you washed it or if it never went through a machine?
Old 05-30-2012, 11:21 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danza View Post
Didn't freeze them though, and rubbed a very thin layer of sealant around it per blauparts instructions.
Ive had bad luck with sealant. I did that the first time around and the next time i had to replace them it was a major PITA to get out. Half of the rubber tore off of the metal plug and stayd in the hole so it took me like an hour just to get it cleaned out. The sealant didnt seem to extend the life of the plug so the next time around i just skipped it.

I couldnt get the plugs in dry when i tried it before. Some people say that they slip right in, but mine went in about 1/8" and stopped. I was joking around with my buddy and said im just going to replace it with a freeze plug, and then it hit me...FREEZE THE CAP! Worked like a charm lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by RynoDyno312 View Post
I don't keep my cars long enough for that to happen. I get it waxed fairly often and never let it get THAT dirty. So far so good. If it were a nicer car I would opt for the hand-wash (my BMW never went through a machine wash, IIRC), but as it is I'm fine with going the cheap/easy route. Plus I live 1.5 minutes from the car wash so I can do a proper drying job and use detailing products afterward. It still sparkles.
Do you use the automated wash or the brushes? The automated ones are pretty harsh on the paint. Its not just the abrasive scrubbers, it uses a more harsh cleaner as well that can strip the wax. If i had to do it at a car wash id use the brush, but first i would use the power washer to spray any dirt and debris out of the brush since thats usually what causes damage. Then again im **** about stuff like that so i dont mind doing it the hard way.

I have some oxidation on the hood and a little on the roof of the Audi and its driving me insane. Im still trying to figure out if its something i want to try and tackle myself or if i should take it to someone. Ive waxed the car plenty of times by myself, but ive never done any sort of paint correction so it makes me nervous. Besides, i dont want to spend too much on it since im probably about to sell it.