Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OFFICIAL WINDOW SHOPPER CAR THREAD

Old 06-12-2019, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OFFICIAL WINDOW SHOPPER CAR THREAD

Originally Posted by itrSteez View Post
The shitty part is the buyers with those relationships that went and configured base GT3's only with it known to trade back in for an RS... So now you have a glut of booger configs.

Porsche did the right thing by making more of these, the 991 production numbers are staggering when you see the overwhelming amount of GT3's instead of keeping them as a limited thing. It seemed like they did their best to keep the supply as demand minus 1, it would have been amazing to just walk into the dealer, configure one on the site, pay MSRP and walk away. I sure as hell wouldn't have purchased a used one, that's for sure.

Also, that NSX auction was pretty cool. That's the first BAT auction I've seen go until close, $12,500 built out of last minute bids... fun stuff.
Seriously, there's some weird specs out there.

I am glad that Porsche made more, I really do love the cars from nearly every perspective. Just like the 911R, that's one I'd love to have. I'd settle for a GT3 Touring, and that's saying alot because I'm not a Porsche guy. It might be Porsche's way of offsetting flippers maybe? I don't know, you guys tell me lol. Consider me very jealous of the warranty that the cars get though, it's an unbelievable value for what the car is.

If I ever sell my NSX, BaT is the way I'm going.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:02 AM
Will you make something up for me please?

Originally Posted by black_EM1 View Post
Just like the 911R, that's one I'd love to have. I'd settle for a GT3 Touring, and that's saying alot because I'm not a Porsche guy. It might be Porsche's way of offsetting flippers maybe? I don't know, you guys tell me lol.
The GT3 Touring was EXACTLY that. 911R owners got so pissed. Their values tanked. Some went for like $500-800K. Now they're like mid $200s.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:04 AM
Head Of Bespoke

Im glad they got pissed these cars shouldnt be investment vehicles.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by shamoo View Post
The GT3 Touring was EXACTLY that. 911R owners got so pissed. Their values tanked. Some went for like $500-800K. Now they're like mid $200s.
The highest sold 991R went for $1.3m

I was psyched that Porsche came back with the 6MT and the touring option to **** on that, now they're back to sub-$300k

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/a...illion-in-u-k/
Old 06-12-2019, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Rguy View Post
Should any car be an investment?

If you think you could make tens to hundreds of thousands of profit, wouldn't you do it? Yes, they should be driven as intended. But if the prospect was there to strike it rich, I'm pretty sure most here would try.

Understand that those buying ultra expensive cars are at a different level of course. Trying to hate on someone trying to make money isn't very valid IMO. How do you think they were able to get to where they are (able to buy $300K cars and flip them)?
Old 06-12-2019, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sflkgjsfndgn View Post
How are the roads where you’re at?

mag ride with the 22’s rides like complete *** for a truck.

You literally feel the smallest deviations in the road like you’re miata. It would be great if it was actually a miata, but it’s a boat and you don’t want to feel that ****. It just makes the ultimate relax mobile not so relaxing.

(hatch before you say anything about your mag ride with 22’s, you have a tahoe, much more chill suspension setup)

If you can save a significant amount of money, go with the slt instead of the denali. Unless you like the badge.

All you lose is mag ride, the denali badging/grill, the power steps, and the gauge cluster. Gauge cluster is a cheap swap, power steps are meh and some people swap the denali ones off for AMP ones, and bilsteins are almost as good as mag ride. I’d probably value the denali at $3-$5k over the slt.

whatever you do, make sure you take the truck on the highway up to 80mph and check for vibration, brand new trucks do this and it’s not easily repairable. Also play around with the trans. Some 8 speed duds out there. Do some transitioning from light braking to wot etc etc, just try to confuse it.
Good advice, thanks. What year is your truck?

Our roads suck for the most part, lots of pot holes from moving freight on/off the river. A little googling made it sound like the mag-ride was updated from the earlier part numbers to fix ride stiffness. I would think a 65k truck would ride like a cloud, not like a sports car. That is disappointing.

Wouldn't say I'm hung up on getting a Denali, but I do like the styling over the base/SLT, mainly the painted bumpers. The SLT grill looks good to me, maybe even better since it is more subtle. Less inventory in new 2018 SLTs with the 6.2L than the Denali though.

Going to check how much the GM Employee discount knocks off, then might go drive the white one nearby this weekend. Then again, might try to talk my neighbor into selling his clean Nissan Hardbody for the cost of 3-4 new truck payments.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Should any car be an investment?

If you think you could make tens to hundreds of thousands of profit, wouldn't you do it? Yes, they should be driven as intended. But if the prospect was there to strike it rich, I'm pretty sure most here would try.

Understand that those buying ultra expensive cars are at a different level of course. Trying to hate on someone trying to make money isn't very valid IMO. How do you think they were able to get to where they are (able to buy $300K cars and flip them)?
Disagree, clearly by what they've done with drastically upping production numbers on 991 vs 996/997 (including RS's) and bringing back the 6mt, introducing the touring, etc is that they're trying to combat ridiculousness trend by trend..

Sure, they'll still make limited production cars but they don't want to see cars go for 4x MSRP in the secondary market.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:18 AM
something gnarly

Originally Posted by itrSteez View Post
I didn't realize bids on BAT in the final minute would refresh another 2 minutes.

Pretty cool as it prevents last-minute snipe bids like you can on eBay.

It's fun watching this NSX go up in $500 increments at the last minute, pricing seems fair assuming the cassette player is in optimal condition.
yea, that's definitely cool. it would be a **** show otherwise. probably pressures certain people to go beyond what they wanted to spend with only 2 mintues to make a decision, as opposed to setting your max limit, sending in the bid last second, and either winning/losing and that's that.

Lol. Its stronger than ever. 62500 plus 5% is a solid sell price.
always makes me feel good when it sells for higher even when I had no intention of ever buying it at $50k.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yep, seemed like it. A low mileage one on BaT recently sold for $275k.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:23 AM
footwork mastery

Sooooo what about the GT3 thread lol
Old 06-12-2019, 11:24 AM
I said I don't want a title!

It was Porsche's own fault in the first place because they only made 991 of them world-wide and they offered allocation spots to people who had purchased 918's (or other Porsche "royalty" customers, so to speak).

Why they didn't see this coming, I have no idea. Especially since they stuck the iconic "911R" badge on it.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:30 AM
aka DaZman69!

Originally Posted by MidnightS14 View Post
Good advice, thanks. Our roads suck for the most part, lots of pot holes from moving freight on/off the river. A little googling made it sound like the mag-ride was updated from the earlier part numbers to fix ride stiffness. I would think a 65k truck would ride like a cloud, not like a sports car. That is disappointing.

Wouldn't say I'm hung up on getting a Denali, but I do like the styling over the base/SLT, mainly the painted bumpers. The SLT grill looks good to me, maybe even better since it is more subtle. Less inventory in new 2018 SLTs with the 6.2L than the Denali though.

Going to check how much the GM Employee discount knocks off, then might go drive the white one nearby this weekend. Then again, might try to talk my neighbor into selling his clean Nissan Hardbody for the cost of 3-4 new truck payments.
Mag ride actually handles pot holes pretty well. Itís the little stuff that is bothersome. Like you can feel running over a small twig or tiny crack. It basically gives you lots of road feedback when you donít want give AF about the road.

It would probably be much better with smaller wheels, but it indeed does look pretty with 22ís.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by .Grimace View Post
Lols.

Originally Posted by Todd00 View Post
It was Porsche's own fault in the first place because they only made 991 of them world-wide and they offered allocation spots to people who had purchased 918's (or other Porsche "royalty" customers, so to speak).

Why they didn't see this coming, I have no idea. Especially since they stuck the iconic "911R" badge on it.
Was it really their fault. Most dealers outside the US didn't charge an ADM. In the US, dealers have a lot of control. All Porsche had to do was order dealers not to mark them up. There were some articles about them not being happy, but no action was being done. Not like they made any extra money. Dealers do. Not the manufacturer. The manufacturer can easily make more money by building more cars.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:39 AM

Lols.

Was it really their fault. Most dealers outside the US didn't charge an ADM. In the US, dealers have a lot of control. All Porsche had to do was order dealers not to mark them up. There were some articles about them not being happy, but no action was being done. Not like they made any extra money. Dealers do. Not the manufacturer. The manufacturer can easily make more money by building more cars.

You realize that the reason why some dealers ended up with them was because they "bought" the allocations from customers, right? My local dealer only saw one, but the owner with the allocation kept the car for himself.

I heard that some dealers were paying $50K for the allocation because they knew they'd be able to get $100K+ over MSRP. That's easy money, for all parties involved.

And yes, by Porsche only offering to certain customers, it definitely should not have been a shock as to what happened.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So why doesn't Porsche just prevent the dealers from marking them up?
Old 06-12-2019, 11:40 AM
Imgur Lives Matter

Buy the hardbody!

Beater trucks are the GOAT
Old 06-12-2019, 11:41 AM
Imgur Lives Matter

Why would they want to? GT cars are like a meme at this point

no one wants a regular 911 anymore
Old 06-12-2019, 11:43 AM

Kinda hard to prevent markup when they are selling them "used with delivery miles".

And we've been over why the strategy of OEM's doing this to dealers won't really work. Ford's plan of "write an essay as to your worthiness" was also equally ridiculous (as was not being able to sell them for x number of years).
Old 06-12-2019, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

All they had to do was deviate from the allocation-based system, just open up the flood gates. But they're not going to do that.

Originally Posted by .Grimace View Post
I'm into it.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Kinda hard to prevent markup when they are selling them "used with delivery miles".

And we've been over why the strategy of OEM's doing this to dealers won't really work. Ford's plan of "write an essay as to your worthiness" was also equally ridiculous (as was not being able to sell them for x number of years).
Yes, it was silly. But effective, IIRC.

Could easily start fining dealerships for things like this.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by 90hatch94dsm View Post
Why would they want to? GT cars are like a meme at this point

no one wants a regular 911 anymore
You're also on a forum of car enthusiasts. They aren't as common as people think.

You're looking at (in the US/Canada) about 3000 991.2 GT3s. I'm sure a lot of people even on this forum can't tell the difference between a 991.1 and a 991.2. I'd argue to say many people here don't even know a GT3 from a regular 911 (with a wing). So yes, while they created more, it isn't THAT common.

So you see them in car shows. Big deal. I also see Paganis and Konigseggs and Chirons lined up. Does that make it common?

EDIT:

Old 06-12-2019, 11:52 AM

Yes, it was silly. But effective, IIRC.
Not really. It still becomes a rich man's game at that point. Why would Ford sell such a car to a normal Joe when someone like John Cena could be seen in one?

Could easily start fining dealerships for things like this.

Yeah, not so much. Either way, someone is going to make money---the dealership or the person who had the lucky GT car lottery ticket. Porsche would rather see their dealerships make the money.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:55 AM
Imgur Lives Matter

I didn’t say they were common, just the only 911s people want to “want”

the base car car isn’t as special anymore but the GT cars bring people in to buy them
Old 06-12-2019, 11:55 AM
Imgur Lives Matter

Not really. It still becomes a rich man's game at that point. Why would Ford sell such a car to a normal Joe when someone like John Cena could be seen in one?

Yeah, not so much. Either way, someone is going to make money---the dealership or the person who had the lucky GT car lottery ticket. Porsche would rather see their dealerships make the money.
But no ones ever seen John Cena??
Old 06-12-2019, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 90hatch94dsm View Post
But no ones ever seen John Cena??
Damnit Todd , he's got us here.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OFFICIAL WINDOW SHOPPER CAR THREAD

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.