Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official Road Bike Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Official Road Bike Thread (Racermech)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Racermech &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

On the road no. That is what makes it so fun, go into a corner at 30+mph on a skiney *** tire at 120psi. Just a little bit of oil or gravel and you end up on your *** with only a think layer of lycria between you and the road.</TD></TR></TABLE>

haaha yeah i did that, 30sih mph on my carbon fiber skateboard with the best bearings money can buy, hit a pothole FTL!!!!!!

i staggered everywhere for like a week and huge bruise all down my sides
Old 06-29-2008, 08:51 PM

Default Re: Official Road Bike Thread (361 accord)

man, road bikes seem really fast but super uncomfortable to scrunch down like that for so long
Old 06-29-2008, 09:00 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: Official Road Bike Thread (ninja 6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ninja 6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">man, road bikes seem really fast but super uncomfortable to scrunch down like that for so long</TD></TR></TABLE>

it actually isn't that bad. ive done 10+miles without stopping on my fixed gear.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:06 PM
* B A N N E D *

Old 06-29-2008, 10:02 PM
Boba Connoisseur

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ninja 6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">man, road bikes seem really fast but super uncomfortable to scrunch down like that for so long</TD></TR></TABLE>

Bike fit is really important, so you really need to get the correct frame size, stem size, saddle height, saddle position, etc. Once you do that, you can stay comfortable for hours and hours without stopping. Road drops are nice because they offer a ton of different hand positions; you can ride on the tops, the shoulders, the end of the drops, the curve of the drops, etc. I change my hand position constantly to encourage blood flow and to stay alert.

I have a track bike I ride around town, to work, and to run errands with; carry **** in my messenger bag. My road bike is strictly LONG (30+ miles) rides and hill climbs. I generally draw the line at 20-30 miles on my track bike because the geometry of the bike is super steep so it's not terribly comfortable for long periods of time-- it's meant to be ridden hard on a track for relatively short periods of time.

All those "goofy" clothes don't have seams in them, have padding in the shorts, and wick sweat away which is a total must-have once you start putting serious miles in. Yeah, for work or to the store, I wear shorts or shants or whatever the hell, but other than that, purpose-made stuff only.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah the sweat wick would be good butt rash FTL.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Official Road Bike Thread (SkyeC)

Just got new wheels and tires. 07 Look 555, Ultegra group w/ SL crank, Easton EA90 SLX.

Still trying to find a saddle my *** likes before I commit to dropping the bars and cutting the steerer tube.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Official Road Bike Thread (GreenD)

i love how looks look. <TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GreenD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 06-30-2008, 05:46 AM

Default Re: Official Road Bike Thread (SkyeC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SkyeC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">All those "goofy" clothes don't have seams in them, have padding in the shorts, and wick sweat away which is a total must-have once you start putting serious miles in. Yeah, for work or to the store, I wear shorts or shants or whatever the hell, but other than that, purpose-made stuff only.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i can try and also explain what the skin on my legs looks like after i do 15 or so miles in my old pair of jeans...

which is why i am seeking out riding clothes.

Old 06-30-2008, 05:51 AM

Default Re: Official Road Bike Thread (GreenD)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GreenD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just got new wheels and tires. 07 Look 555, Ultegra group w/ SL crank, Easton EA90 SLX.

Still trying to find a saddle my *** likes before I commit to dropping the bars and cutting the steerer tube. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I just noticed your in pasadena, do you ever do the rose bowl ride, or montrose on saturday?
Old 06-30-2008, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Official Road Bike Thread (Racermech)

Bought it used at a bike swap meet in January. This is my first road bike, and it's a lot of fun. I replaced the stem with a shorter one, and I'm looking for a nicer seat post. The one that came with it was a carbon fiber aero post, but it wouldn't go low enough for me. The previous owner was about 6" taller than I am.

I'm also trying to figure out how to convert my old mtn. bike to a single speed for cheap. The crank is a one piece triple crank, so I'm going to have to find a cheap used one.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:32 AM
Collector-o-Guns and Drinker

Default Re: Official Road Bike Thread (civicandy)

I'm road-izing my old Killer V as well. Right now just slicks, I'm open to ideas and suggestions about where to drop a few more lbs and make it more roadworthy.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:33 AM
* B A N N E D *

my bike

I origionally wanted a road bike, but you can't really ride a nice road bike around here in NJ.

I have to get up curbs sometimes, and I didn't want a bike that would bend a wheel every few days

it's pretty fast, has deore components

I don't get tired on a 20 mile ride
Old 06-30-2008, 06:33 AM

after some research, and help from a few friends I made my first road bike purchase.

I got a 2008 Fuji Roubaix Pro 61cm.

Love the bike, comfortable for me, and perfect for what i needed. Not going to race, just for joy rides and riding to work every now and then. And for my purpose the aluminum frame was the way to go, and it had the carbon forks.

http://www.fujibikes.com/2008/bikes.asp?id=403 for the specs

Old 06-30-2008, 06:38 AM
i HAS questions ?

Default Re: Official Road Bike Thread (dazman696969)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dazman696969 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">[img]http://images.buzzillions.com/images_products/03/05/473852_raw.jpg[/img

my bike

I origionally wanted a road bike, but you can't really ride a nice road bike around here in NJ.

I have to get up curbs sometimes, and I didn't want a bike that would bend a wheel every few days

it's pretty fast, has deore components

I don't get tired on a 20 mile ride </TD></TR></TABLE>

Holy [freak]ing resize!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .paul &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">after some research, and help from a few friends I made my first road bike purchase.

I got a 2008 Fuji Roubaix Pro 61cm.

Love the bike, comfortable for me, and perfect for what i needed. Not going to race, just for joy rides and riding to work every now and then. And for my purpose the aluminum frame was the way to go, and it had the carbon forks.

http://www.fujibikes.com/2008/bikes.asp?id=403 for the specs

[img]http://www.fujibikes.com/2008/images/bikes/photos_big/rouPRO_4.jpg[/img</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nice.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Official Road Bike Thread (Black SVT)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Black SVT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Beautiful bike! I just started shopping for my 1st road bike.

Found this Bianchi - San Jose that is both a single speed and fixed gear. I'm really excited about getting into cycling. What is the best way to condition one's self for longer distance rides with a single speed? And what seems to be the best type of clothing to ride in if you're not quite ready to get into lycra yet? like if you were going to ride to somewhere to hang out and didnt want to change lol.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:09 PM
i HAS questions ?

Default Re: Official Road Bike Thread (BAR296)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BAR296 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">. What is the best way to condition one's self for longer distance rides with a single speed? And what seems to be the best type of clothing to ride in if you're not quite ready to get into lycra yet? like if you were going to ride to somewhere to hang out and didnt want to change lol.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just start riding.

I got a Dakine micromesh mountain bike shirt as a graduation present that I wear whenever I go riding, on or off road. For shorts I've just been wearing some mesh shorts.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Official Road Bike Thread (.dave)

cool, thanks. that makes sense

edit: BTW thanks for making a Road Bike Thread. I'm sure much more useable info will be passed around
Old 06-30-2008, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

For those of you fearing the spandex shorts, just get them. I tried riding on my trainer this past winter w/o them and it sucks if you're on a hard seat like that for an extended period of time. The padding goes along way!
Old 06-30-2008, 04:36 PM

I was looking to buy a cheaper road bike to commute on until I was driving out of work and saw a guy get creamed by an ambulance of all things and he looked hurt bad. My night job is too physical to risk even a sprained ankle or finger.
Old 06-30-2008, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Official Road Bike Thread (The Baumer)

Questions:
-Any suggestions on a seat for my road bike? I don't care how light it is, price doesn't matter that much... I just want something comfortable for longer rides without clothes with pads in them. Stock seat on a 30 year old Schwinn just isn't cutting it.
-What are some decent online bike shops? I know bmx ones but have no clue on road stuff.

Thanks.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BAR296 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Beautiful bike! I just started shopping for my 1st road bike.

Found this Bianchi - San Jose that is both a single speed and fixed gear. I'm really excited about getting into cycling. What is the best way to condition one's self for longer distance rides with a single speed? And what seems to be the best type of clothing to ride in if you're not quite ready to get into lycra yet? like if you were going to ride to somewhere to hang out and didnt want to change lol.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks.I like my bike.

Honestly,Ride as much as you can.That is the best way to get in shape.

The main thing with bike clothing is the padding in the shorts.They really help your man parts.I am sure you can find some mountain bike type clothing that looks like surf/board shorts but have a padded short underneath and a loose fitting "jersery" that wicks sweat but doesn't scream "I am riding a bike".
Old 06-30-2008, 06:18 PM

are these water bottle cages really that damn expensive.. some are 60 bucks o_O

is there a particular one that is better than others?
Old 06-30-2008, 06:25 PM

Old 06-30-2008, 07:01 PM

Default Re: (.paul)

http://www.arundelbike.com/daveo.html?p=1.1.1.1
now thoses are carbon cages. It seems like all the expensive cages work really well, when you get the cheap one you will loose bottle over the smallest bumps.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Official Road Bike Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.