Official Programming Thread - Page 3 - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official Programming Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 12:23 PM
SHAME ON YOU REBECCA!

Default Re: Official Programming Thread

This site is pretty straight forward in explain programming,

https://www.w3schools.com/js/js_if_else.asp
Old 12-06-2018, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 213374U View Post
Is this your first step into programming period? As in, jumped straight into learning an object-based language without the foundational knowledge and core concepts of programming in general?
Yep! The only "programming" I have known is HTML wayyyy back in the day. Other than that, I have little to no programming experience.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:48 PM
0x5359-0055

Go take a semester of Intro to C+ at your local CC (C+ because every school has this class) to better understand the fundamentals around programming in general. Learning structures, function calls, annotating code for future reference, etc. will help you feel a little less lost when diving into a particular language.

/notacoder
​​​​
Old 12-06-2018, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by kidcool1977 View Post
This site is pretty straight forward in explain programming,

https://www.w3schools.com/js/js_if_else.asp
Noooooooo. Their stuff is notoriously outdated and/or just plain wrong. MDN is the authority on all things documentation and self teaching and such.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:03 PM
I said I don't want a title!

Originally Posted by ky13 View Post
(senior automation consultant at IBM )
There. I fixed that for ya.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:06 PM
SHAME ON YOU REBECCA!

Go take a semester of Intro to C+ at your local CC (C+ because every school has this class) to better understand the fundamentals around programming in general. Learning structures, function calls, annotating code for future reference, etc. will help you feel a little less lost when diving into a particular language.

/notacoder
​​​​
Perhaps OP is smarter then I, but I took C++ and I was confused from beginning to end. Actually I think they tried to over complicate things. We used visual studio as compiler, when DEV C+ was quick and simple. TBH they shouldn't use C++ for beginners
Originally Posted by rockcity View Post
Noooooooo. Their stuff is notoriously outdated and/or just plain wrong. MDN is the authority on all things documentation and self teaching and such.
Good to know. It's what I was referred to in class

Old 12-06-2018, 01:16 PM
Pork is NOT a verb!

I think it's Harvard that offers their intro CS50 course for free online. I've never done it but I've heard good things about it and it might be another option to consider.

Edit: link - https://online-learning.harvard.edu/...puter-science/
Old 12-06-2018, 01:57 PM
Mr. Koy Noi

danm y'all hella pro. I'm barely getting started.. doing HTML/CSS through FreeCodeCamp, and got a free JavaScript course through Udemy.

hoping to then transition onto React/Angular after this. main goal is to become a jr web developer/front-end developer. lmk if y'all got any tips on going the self-taught route

Last edited by Lasty K; 12-06-2018 at 02:20 PM.
Old 12-06-2018, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Perhaps OP is smarter then I, but I took C++ and I was confused from beginning to end. Actually I think they tried to over complicate things. We used visual studio as compiler, when DEV C+ was quick and simple. TBH they shouldn't use C++ for beginners
Good to know. It's what I was referred to in class
Yes sir. MDN is part of Mozilla and non profit. W3schools is a for profit site that tries to get folks to purchase certification and such.
Old 12-06-2018, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Todd00 View Post
There. I fixed that for ya.
haha Probably soon
Old 12-06-2018, 04:26 PM
SHAME ON YOU REBECCA!

Originally Posted by Lasty K View Post
danm y'all hella pro. I'm barely getting started.. doing HTML/CSS through FreeCodeCamp, and got a free JavaScript course through Udemy.

hoping to then transition onto React/Angular after this. main goal is to become a jr web developer/front-end developer. lmk if y'all got any tips on going the self-taught route
Are you using any textbooks?

This is what I used:New Perspectives on HTML, CSS, and Dynamic HTML, 5th Edition. If you search the webs you'll get a free pdf copy
Old 12-06-2018, 05:39 PM
Mr. Koy Noi

Are you using any textbooks?

This is what I used:New Perspectives on HTML, CSS, and Dynamic HTML, 5th Edition. If you search the webs you'll get a free pdf copy
Nope, just going through whatever fCC's curriculum is. I've done 3 out of the 5 projects they want completed before earning a "Responsive Web Design" cert.

I'll definitely search for those copies though, thanks
Old 12-06-2018, 06:13 PM
SHAME ON YOU REBECCA!

Some might object but I recommend using wordpress. it's free and you can experiment on it.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is a really great thread. Thanks for all of the contributions everyone. I definitely have a long way to go in regards to programming, but want to stay ahead of the curve since everyone is talking about automating everything. I know the cli won't completely go away, but definitely want to stay relevant on top of my networking knowledge.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BeeResp0nsible View Post
This is a really great thread. Thanks for all of the contributions everyone. I definitely have a long way to go in regards to programming, but want to stay ahead of the curve since everyone is talking about automating everything. I know the cli won't completely go away, but definitely want to stay relevant on top of my networking knowledge.
Heavily biased for sure, but Ansible is awesome with regard to network automation (and is written in Python/YML, so relevant to what you plan on studying anyway)
Old 12-06-2018, 07:21 PM
0x5359-0055

Networking knowledge and capable in a solid scripting language? Have you ever considered security as a career path?
Old 12-06-2018, 07:37 PM
SHAME ON YOU REBECCA!

Tell me more about red hat? keep it simple please.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Networking knowledge and capable in a solid scripting language? Have you ever considered security as a career path?
PM'd
Tell me more about red hat? keep it simple please.
Pretty much every company uses Red Hat in some capacity; whether as a server/desktop (RHEL), middleware platform (JBOSS EAP/AMQ), container platform (OpenShift), cloud platform (OpenStack), hybrid cloud management (CloudForms), provisioning/version control/patch control (Satellite), virtualization platform(RHEV). $3 billion in annual sales. IBM are in the process of buying us for $34 billion. Offices in ~50 countries. 12k ish employees worldwide. Can go into more detail if you'd like Apologies for the thread deviation OP.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:30 AM
SHAME ON YOU REBECCA!

PM'd

Pretty much every company uses Red Hat in some capacity; whether as a server/desktop (RHEL), middleware platform (JBOSS EAP/AMQ), container platform (OpenShift), cloud platform (OpenStack), hybrid cloud management (CloudForms), provisioning/version control/patch control (Satellite), virtualization platform(RHEV). $3 billion in annual sales. IBM are in the process of buying us for $34 billion. Offices in ~50 countries. 12k ish employees worldwide. Can go into more detail if you'd like Apologies for the thread deviation OP.
if OP doesn't mind. I'm sure I can download and put it on virtual box to experiment with?
Old 12-07-2018, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if OP doesn't mind. I'm sure I can download and put it on virtual box to experiment with?
Yes! I'd recommend one of the downstreams (CentOS 7 or Scientific Linux 7) to tinker with on VirtualBox. Both are just recompiles of RHEL.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:02 AM
HT Order of Merit

Originally Posted by malix View Post
I think it's Harvard that offers their intro CS50 course for free online. I've never done it but I've heard good things about it and it might be another option to consider.

Edit: link - https://online-learning.harvard.edu/...puter-science/
MIT has some great into courses that are also free.
Old 12-07-2018, 02:13 PM
Pork is NOT a verb!

Anybody ever tried Unity or Unreal Engine? I've been messing around with Unity for the past few months since it's all C# and I've already been using that language at work for a long time.

I'm kind of more interested in playing around with character AI than trying to make a full playable game though.
Old 12-07-2018, 05:00 PM
SHAME ON YOU REBECCA!

Yes! I'd recommend one of the downstreams (CentOS 7 or Scientific Linux 7) to tinker with on VirtualBox. Both are just recompiles of RHEL.
I tried downloading the iso file and it failed. Actually I think it's because I have generic downloading speed, since it takes 3 hours + to download GBs of data.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.