Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official Mountain Bike Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 10:23 AM
talks to himself

Default Re: Official Mountain Bike Thread

Don't forget you'll probably need to buy pedals and shoes, too.

Maybe my LBS just throws the pedals in the donation bin since they know that's what I'd do. Can't remember if new bikes come with them or not.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by CX-Adam View Post

Maybe my LBS just throws the pedals in the donation bin since they know that's what I'd do. Can't remember if new bikes come with them or not.
I believe the Fathom 2 should come with pedals. As for shoes, I was thinking about getting some separate, but the Nike SB's I used are wide, and have some serious grip on the sole. Very similar to like a vans skateboard shoe. So I may use those for now, and get shoes later.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Allaire may feel intimidating at first, but it is one of the flatter trails in the area. They should have the Tuesday night beginner ride at 6pm, That is a great place to build up some confidence and meet some new people too. That trail is very hard to navigate solo.

IMO, i'd rather the $1000 hard tail over the $1500 FS. Agreed, all those bikes will serve you well.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:59 AM
I said I don't want a title!

Originally Posted by vLad11591 View Post
Yea I checked on pink bike and there were some good values, on previous models (2015+) but I would have had to travel like 2+ hours.....

It does seem like resale value on bikes are awful though. My friend has a roscoe8 < 1 year old and he said he would probably get half of what he paid for it and he paid close to 1600.

That's why I'll never buy a complete retail bike again.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:18 PM
Titty Sprinkles

Hot laps at Snow Summit all weekend. Can't believe there's still snow around in SoCal in June. Epic weather, trails were rolling fast and we clocked in 18 runs over the weekend. Finally cleared every jump on Party Wave, Muscle Beach and Westridge. Ultra mega hyper stoked. So happy park season is here!
Old 06-11-2019, 06:20 AM
talks to himself

Nice, JDM. Wish I could dedicate a whole weekend.

This morning I got up early and got a nice ride in with my brother. Great weather finally. Cleared a lot of spider webs.

Also, got invited to ride at Trek HQ next week.

Last edited by CX-Adam; 06-11-2019 at 07:09 AM.
Old 06-11-2019, 06:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Can you feel the difference with the boost hubs? My new ride has boost spacing. But, it's also my first full suspension bike. And has 2.25" tires vs my 2.0" on my hard tail. Hard to isolate what's what on the ride.
For me absolutely, especially since I am not a lightweight racer. The heavier you are the more you will feel those differences and it was night and day for me going from thru axle to boost especially when you hit square edge bumps, going over rough terrain, railing cambered turns. My favorite innovation since tubeless and thru-axles.

Tires can make a difference too in compliance. For me conti's have a really stiff sidewall and with those I had to run about 3-5psi less than my usual Maxxiss set up.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yea I have to buy pedals, thanks for pointing that out.

and JDM sweet pic.

me and some peeps are planning to go to Nemba Fest at the end of june. Kindom trails should be interesting. I'm going to be trying to go consistently Saturday and sunday from now until then to get better at climbing, as well as more confidence on the downhill's runs/drops.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:29 AM
talks to himself

If you're looking for flats, I like my polymer Origin8 VEX. Not too expensive.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So I contacted the bike dealer, and they can get the roscoe 7 https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...reenvisibility
for 1050 no tax.

For comparison. https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/fathom-2 but can't do much on price, and I would have to pay tax.

With the roscoe 7, I would save 270, and the only drawback I see between the two is the roscoe 7 doesn't have air fork suspension. Don't know if I'll really benefit from air fork since i';m not going on crazy jumps yet. Components on drive train/brakes are pretty much identical....

Is it worth it to go with a coil fork, to save a couple hundred?

Last edited by vLad11591; 06-11-2019 at 09:39 AM.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:51 AM
Bloody Beaver

Hope to hit the trails after work if the rain holds off. Temps are about 80 right now, will be dropping to mid 60's by then. Perfect.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:19 AM
talks to himself

So I contacted the bike dealer, and they can get the roscoe 7 https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...reenvisibility
for 1050 no tax.

For comparison. https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/fathom-2 but can't do much on price, and I would have to pay tax.

With the roscoe 7, I would save 270, and the only drawback I see between the two is the roscoe 7 doesn't have air fork suspension. Don't know if I'll really benefit from air fork since i';m not going on crazy jumps yet. Components on drive train/brakes are pretty much identical....

Yes. You can always replace it for the amount you saved.

Originally Posted by .Beaver View Post
Hope to hit the trails after work if the rain holds off. Temps are about 80 right now, will be dropping to mid 60's by then. Perfect.
What trail? Quarry Junction? Silverlake? Camrock?
Old 06-11-2019, 11:52 AM
Bloody Beaver

What trail? Quarry Junction? Silverlake? Camrock?
Camrock. Used to live 15 min away, now am 45 but still worth the trip.

Been actually riding Camrock since the mid 90's, my grandma lived in Cambridge, so we'd visit her and I'd bring my bike and ride over to the trails. Ahhh memories.
Old 06-11-2019, 12:11 PM
talks to himself

Did you do the race there two weekends ago? I slayed it.

I love that trail system. A little bit of everything.
Old 06-11-2019, 12:13 PM
talks to himself

I usually park in Cambridge and ride over instead of parking in the lot. Easier to get food after. Mid-90s. That's wild. So long ago.
Old 06-11-2019, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ended up with the roscoe 7.... Picked up some raceface atlas pedals and opted for tubeless set up. Figured get good on this first, and then go FS later down the road. The trails at Allaire st park are not all that demanding anyway.

Thanks for the input and feedback!
Old 06-11-2019, 12:41 PM
Bloody Beaver

Did you do the race there two weekends ago? I slayed it.

I love that trail system. A little bit of everything.
Sadly no, been out of it a while. Just starting to dabble with the trails again. But yeah, love the trails, they've been adding in a lot more technical sections in the past 5 years or so.

I usually park in Cambridge and ride over instead of parking in the lot. Easier to get food after. Mid-90s. That's wild. So long ago.
Yeah that's a nice little ride. I should just do that, but good thing I didn't last time as 5 min into my ride the damn rear derailleur cable somehow got loose and wrapped around my crank. Thankfully had some random zip ties in the car.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:22 PM
talks to himself

ended up with the roscoe 7.... Picked up some raceface atlas pedals and opted for tubeless set up. Figured get good on this first, and then go FS later down the road. The trails at Allaire st park are not all that demanding anyway.

Thanks for the input and feedback!
Gratz!!! Pics when it comes in.

Originally Posted by .Beaver View Post
Sadly no, been out of it a while. Just starting to dabble with the trails again. But yeah, love the trails, they've been adding in a lot more technical sections in the past 5 years or so.

Yeah that's a nice little ride. I should just do that, but good thing I didn't last time as 5 min into my ride the damn rear derailleur cable somehow got loose and wrapped around my crank. Thankfully had some random zip ties in the car.
I've never ridden the wood features. I used to go up there when I was new and to scared. Now, only for races. I need to go back. I'll be at the TREK HQ next week. Maybe after that?
Old 06-11-2019, 01:25 PM
Bloody Beaver

Yeah give me a holler on here. Wood meat up fo sho!
Old 06-12-2019, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So looking up at how to tune on the preload adjuster with the coil spring. My questions is, how important is it to adjust on a hardtail? Isn't fine tuning more efficient on a full suspension?
Old 06-12-2019, 08:12 AM
talks to himself

It'll affect the ride quality. If you're LBS is selling it to you, ask them to set it when they build the bike. They know what it should be at for your weight.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:20 AM
White Trash Wish Cash

I want to build a Yeti frame someday

Old 06-12-2019, 08:26 AM
I said I don't want a title!

for 1050 no tax.

I know you already bought it, but the money (and weight) in a hardtail is in the fork and wheels (and not so much the drivetrain as modern day Deore is pretty good). That's where the $2000 bikes separate themselves from the $1000 bikes.

That fork has a ton of steel in it and the wheelset is probably pretty sturdy, but it's going to be extremely heavy. Just food for thought in case you decide to upgrade it in the future.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It'll affect the ride quality. If you're LBS is selling it to you, ask them to set it when they build the bike. They know what it should be at for your weight.
hmm... i'll have him do this on Thursday when I pick it up. For my weight (roughly 210) I may have to switch out the coils for stiffer ones.

Originally Posted by Todd00 View Post
I know you already bought it, but the money (and weight) in a hardtail is in the fork and wheels (and not so much the drivetrain as modern day Deore is pretty good). That's where the $2000 bikes separate themselves from the $1000 bikes.

That fork has a ton of steel in it and the wheelset is probably pretty sturdy, but it's going to be extremely heavy. Just food for thought in case you decide to upgrade it in the future.
I know that realistically you want the lightest one.... But what I'm looking it as if I can get good on a heavier bike (because it's more than capable bike on the trails i'll ride) and really master cornering, braking, etc, then once I eventually do upgrade, i'll be at a way more advanced level.

If you do auto x or any other equivalent, you can do all the weight savings in the world, but you can still get outdriven all day by someone who has a heavier, less capable car. I want to get my skills up before I start worrying about better drive train/brakes/ weight. It's about 30lbs without me on it so that's ok.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:12 AM
aka DaZman69!

hmm... i'll have him do this on Thursday when I pick it up. For my weight (roughly 210) I may have to switch out the coils for stiffer ones.

I know that realistically you want the lightest one.... But what I'm looking it as if I can get good on a heavier bike (because it's more than capable bike on the trails i'll ride) and really master cornering, braking, etc, then once I eventually do upgrade, i'll be at a way more advanced level.

If you do auto x or any other equivalent, you can do all the weight savings in the world, but you can still get outdriven all day by someone who has a heavier, less capable car. I want to get my skills up before I start worrying about better drive train/brakes/ weight. It's about 30lbs without me on it so that's ok.
Wise move

Said that a few times making fun of biking hobby people spending large sums of money on bikes which clearly are about weight saving past a certain point.

if you’re not competing against other people why on earth would you give a **** how light your bike is. It holds true more so with road bikes though as they are a non-skill thing and more an endurance thing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Official Mountain Bike Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.