Official Mountain Bike Thread - Page 523 - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official Mountain Bike Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 10:58 AM
White Trash Wish Cash

Default Re: Official Mountain Bike Thread

Originally Posted by CX-Adam View Post
Rino, when are we gonna ride Brown County together?
I still haven't been there to ride! I'd need a dirt bike to keep up with you.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:00 AM
talks to himself

Originally Posted by Todd00 View Post
Stem length all depends upon the frame geometry/size and where the bars "hit" you.

You could always go down and see if that helps things out. But I've been on mountain bikes that are much harder to bunny hop than others. My old Raleigh XXIX +g 29'er could hop waaay better than the Gary Fisher 29er I replaced it with. I should have never sold the Raleigh
Looking at a picture, I'd guess my bars would hit me in the forehead or higher.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you are on any sort of XC bike, it's going to be much harder to do this with flats and an aggressive stem. on my HT I run a -17 100mm and wouldn't be able to do a bunny hop without pedals. best photo i can find with my positioning:

My Scalpel is more relaxed and not as racer boi slammed for getting sendy on the tech stuff, but i still don't really practice that skill. my bet is your front end is causing you problems, as well as the geometry.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:40 PM
talks to himself

Any non bike setup tips?

I'm tryng to learn with flats so I'll have confidence later. I'm able to clear curbs but height and hang time are both small. Would like to be able to consistently clear 10" obstacles.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:56 AM
Titty Sprinkles

Dragged my bike to SoCal for a brief weekend, traffic-filled, family trip with the sole purpose of having my girlfriend shuttle me on Telonics a few times for my birthday. Buddy of mine hyped it up big time, and boy did it deliver. Steeeep! Almost hit a rattlesnake first run, too! Highly recommend Laguna for steep, flowy riding with a dash of tech.

Any non bike setup tips?

I'm tryng to learn with flats so I'll have confidence later. I'm able to clear curbs but height and hang time are both small. Would like to be able to consistently clear 10" obstacles.

Get a BMX bike! All the BMX guys I ride with are far better than me at bike control. Even the ones that don't ride a mountain bike regularly can bunny hop 18"+ no prob and manual from a dead stop off drops. It's crazy how much of the fundamentals I missed out on by not having a BMX bike at age 10.

There's a thigh high squared rock step that I've only recently been able to roll into and get up on with my flats. A BMX buddy of mine that is around 225lb and rides his Spec Enduro once a month at best can seemingly levitate up it no prob.
Old 03-18-2019, 04:59 AM
-Intl Steve Krew

Any non bike setup tips?

I feel like you need to buy some stuff on Amazon and use the boxes as an obstacle course in your driveway. Maybe get the neighbor kids to show you how it's done
​​​​​​seriously though, practice, lots of practice.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:43 AM
talks to himself

Originally Posted by JDMHN8 View Post
Dragged my bike to SoCal for a brief weekend, traffic-filled, family trip with the sole purpose of having my girlfriend shuttle me on Telonics a few times for my birthday. Buddy of mine hyped it up big time, and boy did it deliver. Steeeep! Almost hit a rattlesnake first run, too! Highly recommend Laguna for steep, flowy riding with a dash of tech.
Happy Birthday!

Originally Posted by JDMHN8 View Post
Get a BMX bike! All the BMX guys I ride with are far better than me at bike control. Even the ones that don't ride a mountain bike regularly can bunny hop 18"+ no prob and manual from a dead stop off drops. It's crazy how much of the fundamentals I missed out on by not having a BMX bike at age 10.

There's a thigh high squared rock step that I've only recently been able to roll into and get up on with my flats. A BMX buddy of mine that is around 225lb and rides his Spec Enduro once a month at best can seemingly levitate up it no prob.
Originally Posted by Caoboy View Post
I feel like you need to buy some stuff on Amazon and use the boxes as an obstacle course in your driveway. Maybe get the neighbor kids to show you how it's done
​​​​​​seriously though, practice, lots of practice.
I had an Ah Ha! moment Sunday. I wasn't driving my heels hard enough. Nearly feel off the back of the bike pulling the front wheel up. @JDM, not buying a BMX bike but practicing the fundamentals is one of the reasons I've flats on, now. @Cao, I've an abandoned parking lot near my house I've set an obstacle course up on. So I'm good to, go. Kids don't ride bikes anymore. I do have an 18 year old on my team that BMX'd and he's helped me a few times.
Old 03-19-2019, 04:27 PM
White Trash Wish Cash

Good boy going to help me build the new rack up this week

Old 03-19-2019, 04:55 PM
Titty Sprinkles

Happy Birthday!

I had an Ah Ha! moment Sunday. I wasn't driving my heels hard enough. Nearly feel off the back of the bike pulling the front wheel up. @JDM, not buying a BMX bike but practicing the fundamentals is one of the reasons I've flats on, now. @Cao, I've an abandoned parking lot near my house I've set an obstacle course up on. So I'm good to, go. Kids don't ride bikes anymore. I do have an 18 year old on my team that BMX'd and he's helped me a few times.
Thanks!

OK I agree, a BMX is super limited value at our age, but an aggressive hard tail seems the best a way to get better at the basics. I have a bunch of kick *** 26" parts in my bike room awaiting a Santa Cruz Jackal frame when they go on sale; a DJ would be perfect to perfect technical climbing methods.

Sometimes a bunny hop isn't the best approach, momentum is also something you need to consider. I've been really working on balance and ratcheting techniques to roll through tech stuff when climbing.

But, ironically, the best BMX guys ride clips on their mountain bikes, and are often lightning quick uphill and KOM status downhill. This guy is certainly the best biker I know of, rode with him a few times, always amazed.

https://www.instagram.com/threethreeone/