Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official Mountain Bike Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 10:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Mountain Bike Purchase (KingJeff)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KingJeff &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You can get an 07 stumpjumper competition for around $1800. </TD></TR></TABLE>

$1750 for an 08, but it sounds like the LBS in the area are willing to come down at least 10% off of that. I haven't found any 07s still (had my LBS do a nationwide search on his computer). I did find an 06 Stumpjumper at one shop about 100 miles away. It was just the base with "V" brakes and they wanted $1095 (normally $1400). I'm not so sure that's a great deal.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ScareyH22A &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What kind of build is on that Fisher?</TD></TR></TABLE>

http://www.fisherbikes.com/archive/model/271

2007 HiFi (base). It won Mountain Bike Action magazine's FS bikes for under $1500 shootout last month. It probably doesn't have the best components, but it's good entry level and after the test ride I was impressed.

&lt;&lt;&lt; MTB n00b
Old 11-21-2007, 01:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mountain Bike Purchase (shamoo)

I have worked in the bicycle industry for 20 years and downhill raced in the
expert class 10 years, so I would look at a 4bar suspension like specialized
they have a new model called the pitch it has 6 inches of travel front and back
it's around 30 pounds and there are 2 models one just under 2k . The horstlink
suspensoin is very good it doesn't biopace in any gear and it doesn't lockup
under braking like single pivots do if you don't use your brakes that wont matter.
As far as reliability I have had five fsr bikes xc and dh and haven't had any pivot
problems. Specialized has a real good frame warrentee.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nobody has mentioned Felt at all.

They make some sick *** bikes.

I'm not in on this whole 29" wheel craze though, just yet. WTF? I gotta ride one....
Old 11-21-2007, 05:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just get a Koba already!
Old 11-21-2007, 06:31 AM
Will you make something up for me please?

Default Re: Mountain Bike Purchase (big pete)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by big pete &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how about a Santa Cruz Heckler?</TD></TR></TABLE>

For those of you saying that the Heckler is out of your price range, maybe you can consider swapping out some componentry to make it in your price range. My LBS offered me that option when I was considering that one.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:17 AM

I saw one previous mention, but Iron Horse makes some nice full suspension bikes; they use the dw-link rear suspension which is a another virtual pivot design. I have an Azure that I've been happy with, although I rarely ride anymore.

As a bonus, some of Iron Horse's staff and Dave Weirgle (sp?, the patent holder for the dw-link) are contributors at mtbr.com (specifically in the Iron Horse forum).

Also, good deals can be had here: http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/sc.7/category.55/.f; and sometimes here: http://www.performancebike.com...=3050.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shamoo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

For those of you saying that the Heckler is out of your price range, maybe you can consider swapping out some componentry to make it in your price range. My LBS offered me that option when I was considering that one.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Tell me more about the SC Heckler. I've been doing some research and it sounds like a great all around MTB. MTB Action mag raves about it. How does it differ from the Superlight? They look about the same.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Gold Member

Default Re: Mountain Bike Purchase (Yellow Dragon)

That Fisher build looks pretty weak.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mountain Bike Purchase (ScareyH22A)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ScareyH22A &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That Fisher build looks pretty weak.</TD></TR></TABLE>

True, but for the money it seems like a decent starter FS bike. Would it be worth buying and upgrading later?

Santa Cruz and Specialized have really peaked my interest a little more here lately. It's cold as fawk here right now (18 degrees) so I'm not in any hurry to make a decision.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

how much experience do you have? if its not ALOT (2-3 years of constant jumping on rocks) it wont really matter. ive been riding dirt since i was 7 years old, and my 250$ schwin is more than enough for me. ive rode a bunch of expensive bikes( my uncle has a collectionf of 2000+$ CF and full race frame bikes) and honestly you wont have as much fun on an expensive bike, cause your not gonna beat the **** out of it. sure they are gonna be easier to flick around, but the you wont notice the difference unless your in a competition.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:01 PM

Default Re: Mountain Bike Purchase (Evil Smile)

I bought a used 07 rockhopper today
Old 11-25-2007, 07:20 PM
Will you make something up for me please?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Evil Smile &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how much experience do you have? if its not ALOT (2-3 years of constant jumping on rocks) it wont really matter. ive been riding dirt since i was 7 years old, and my 250$ schwin is more than enough for me. ive rode a bunch of expensive bikes( my uncle has a collectionf of 2000+$ CF and full race frame bikes) and honestly you wont have as much fun on an expensive bike, cause your not gonna beat the **** out of it. sure they are gonna be easier to flick around, but the you wont notice the difference unless your in a competition. </TD></TR></TABLE>

With the amount of experience you have, I'm VERY surprised at this. I have ridden, and loved riding since I was very young (around 5 years old). Granted, I only had Toys R Us type bikes around that age until I was about 17. However, as soon as I went to my first "real" bike (Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo), I noticed a DRASTIC difference. The improvements were astronomical, as even simple side to side movements of the handlebar felt like it had power steering. The bike was so incredibly light that it just felt so good. It was only $600, but that's pretty expensive for a bike in the "common" world.

Afterwards I graduated to a Proflex Beast full suspension and I also noticed a significant improvement. Suspension travel wasn't much, but I eventually went to a CF Schwinn Homegrown full suspension bike. That thing was a GOD on every surface. Now I just purchased an Ellsworth, which many people see as the top end of mountain bikes. I expect this to be much better than my Schwinn.

I consider myself a pretty good rider (although not as of late, but getting there) and I cannot imagine myself performing well on anything that's less than $800. Do you really think that a rider with a $250 Schwinn vs. a $1000+ Whatever will do relatively the same? I don't think so.

But that's just me in my experience.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KingJeff &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I bought a used 07 rockhopper today</TD></TR></TABLE>

Awesome. If this is your first "real" bike, you'll love it.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:16 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shamoo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Awesome. If this is your first "real" bike, you'll love it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I also have an 05 stumpjumper expert fsr
Old 11-25-2007, 09:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mountain Bike Purchase (KingJeff)

With the amount of experience you have, I'm VERY surprised at this. I have ridden, and loved riding since I was very young (around 5 years old). Granted, I only had Toys R Us type bikes around that age until I was about 17. However, as soon as I went to my first "real" bike (Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo), I noticed a DRASTIC difference. The improvements were astronomical, as even simple side to side movements of the handlebar felt like it had power steering. The bike was so incredibly light that it just felt so good. It was only $600, but that's pretty expensive for a bike in the "common" world.

Afterwards I graduated to a Proflex Beast full suspension and I also noticed a significant improvement. Suspension travel wasn't much, but I eventually went to a CF Schwinn Homegrown full suspension bike. That thing was a GOD on every surface. Now I just purchased an Ellsworth, which many people see as the top end of mountain bikes. I expect this to be much better than my Schwinn.

I consider myself a pretty good rider (although not as of late, but getting there) and I cannot imagine myself performing well on anything that's less than $800. Do you really think that a rider with a $250 Schwinn vs. a $1000+ Whatever will do relatively the same? I don't think so.

But that's just me in my experience.

Awesome. If this is your first "real" bike, you'll love it.</TD></TR></TABLE>
i completely agree with you. i didnt read your first post before, i didnt know you had experience. but i still stand on my point. if your gonna go rock jumping (like i do) disk brakes and CF frames wont last you more than a few sessions. in order for me to progress, i beat the **** out of the bike. i mean lets face it, your not gonna learn anything until you fall HARD a few times. and seeing a beatifull bike like break will just break my heart and bank account.
on the other hand, if your financially stable enough to be able to afford breaking one of those. then why not? i mean i would def do it if i had the money.
EDIT: after reading your intial post, those bikes definately suit your needs. sorry i jumped in without reading your first post. good luck with whatever you get, and please gear up
Old 11-25-2007, 11:03 PM

My first "real" bike was a Specialized Hardtail. I'm very happy with it, I highly recommend any of their bikes. I have a couple of friends that do alot of MTB trail racing and that is all they ride.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mountain Bike Purchase (97Ej6)

I picked up that 07 Stumpjumper Comp out of town. It's in excellent condition and I believe the guy when he said it has less than 50 miles on it. I really couldn't be happier right now. It felt just like the 08 I tested (I couldn't tell the diff between the M4 and M5 frame). They weighed it for me at the shop at 24.10 lbs.

The seat was on his bike rack and got scraped when he went through a drive thru on the way to meet me at the shop (so I got a little better deal than we talked about on the phone). Looks like I'm going to need a new seat here eventually. I thought about Supergluing it down temporarily until I decide what to do.

I'm thinking of going with platform pedals to start off on. What do you guys think?

Better pics to come (in the dirt of course)

I'm still thinking I might add a FS bike to my collection later (Santa Cruz Superlight possibly).
Old 11-26-2007, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shamoo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Now I just purchased an Ellsworth, which many people see as the top end of mountain bikes. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Blah....Ellsworth is just a name. The only reason anyone knows about the is because they hand weld all their frames.

Specialized, Santa Cruz
Old 11-26-2007, 11:02 AM
brap braaaaap

Default Re: Mountain Bike Purchase (mgags7)

Get a old school GT performer and call it a day. With some mags
Old 11-26-2007, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mountain Bike Purchase (ScareyH22A)

I miss my old Zaskar frame......got stolen.

anyone thats an OG rider will know this bike paved the way!
Old 11-26-2007, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Congrats, man! Just looking at your new bike makes me wanna ride my '01 (wow is it really that old now?) Stumpjumper Pro so bad! Mine is 22.2lbs, but 24.1 on a lower model with discs is great!
Old 11-26-2007, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mountain Bike Purchase (Mr. Vapor)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Yellow Dragon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I picked up that 07 Stumpjumper Comp out of town.</TD></TR></TABLE>

congrads man, thats a great bike. screw fixing the tear in the seat, just wait until it comes apart. then again my flight has been torn for 5 years and it hasnt fallen apart yet

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr. Vapor &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I miss my old Zaskar frame......got stolen.

anyone thats an OG rider will know this bike paved the way! </TD></TR></TABLE>

i dont know about paving the way but yeah they were really competitive back in the early 90's. i raced against quite a few of them on my Scott team. thieves
Old 11-26-2007, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mountain Bike Purchase (Thrashin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Thrashin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
congrads man, thats a great bike. screw fixing the tear in the seat, just wait until it comes apart. then again my flight has been torn for 5 years and it hasnt fallen apart yet </TD></TR></TABLE>
Seconded.

When I got my Stumpy, along with the other upgrades I did to it, I ditched the new super-uncomfortable Specialized saddle and spent $15 on a used Selle Italia Flite. Lighter and far more comfy... sure it was 5-10 years older than anything else on the bike and looked like it, but it's a saddle... it's all about how it feels, and nobody sees it while you're riding!
Old 11-26-2007, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mountain Bike Purchase (White98LS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by White98LS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Seconded.

When I got my Stumpy, along with the other upgrades I did to it, I ditched the new super-uncomfortable Specialized saddle and spent $15 on a used Selle Italia Flite. Lighter and far more comfy... sure it was 5-10 years older than anything else on the bike and looked like it, but it's a saddle... it's all about how it feels, and nobody sees it while you're riding!</TD></TR></TABLE>

haha,

I currently have 3 bikes, they all have the original flight saddle. one is 15 years old, I'll never ride anything else
Old 11-27-2007, 04:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mountain Bike Purchase (Thrashin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Thrashin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

congrads man, thats a great bike. screw fixing the tear in the seat, just wait until it comes apart. then again my flight has been torn for 5 years and it hasnt fallen apart yet

i dont know about paving the way but yeah they were really competitive back in the early 90's. i raced against quite a few of them on my Scott team. thieves </TD></TR></TABLE>

I dunno man, i raced in some amatuer NORBA events way back in the day (early-mid 90s) and it was quite a damn competitive hard tail. This was when the Full softys had just started to come out (Fisher Joshua Y etc). Allumninum frame that weighed in at under 5lbs was a big deal back then, most frames were chromoly still!
Old 11-27-2007, 04:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mountain Bike Purchase (Mr. Vapor)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr. Vapor &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I dunno man, i raced in some amatuer NORBA events way back in the day (early-mid 90s) and it was quite a damn competitive hard tail. This was when the Full softys had just started to come out (Fisher Joshua Y etc). Allumninum frame that weighed in at under 5lbs was a big deal back then, most frames were chromoly still! </TD></TR></TABLE>

I raced alot of NORBA events back then as well. but yeah, I said it was very competitive, I was agreeing with you lol

the only aluminum frames I can think of that were more desirable at the time would be the Yeti ARC or the Klein Attitude. You're right though, almost everything was still steal back then including my beloved Fat Chance. But I have a thing for good steal frames and still ride one to this day.

always nice to come across another old school rider

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Official Mountain Bike Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.