Official Mountain Bike Thread - Page 2 - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official Mountain Bike Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 10:28 AM
Daughter not possible

Default Re: (shamoo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shamoo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Picked this up this evening.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats not a threaded headset/fork, is it?
Old 11-04-2007, 10:54 AM
Boba Connoisseur

Default Re: (Rude Awakening)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rude Awakening &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Thats not a threaded headset/fork, is it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

no.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:07 AM
TTM

Default Re: (SkyeC)

Just got this, still new in box off craigslist. Lady wanted $500, she wanted to get rid of it asap, i offered $300, she accepts after a while. I pick it up, its still in parts in the box.

I think its a revenge bike.. a guys name was on the shipping lable, she was attractive and nobody else was home and was moving to cali in a few days because "something came up"

Good starter bike for me, i could easily sell it for $400-500 if i wanted to.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:12 AM
Resident Hoser #1

Default Re: Mountain Bike Purchase (shamoo)

Don't get a full suspension bike unless you are only using it for downhill riding. Full suspension bikes are slow as **** and suck on roads.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mountain Bike Purchase (CAN97SH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CAN97SH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Don't get a full suspension bike unless you are only using it for downhill riding. Full suspension bikes are slow as **** and suck on roads. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Totally not true.

A good f/s bike with lockouts and and dialed suspension will climb just as good as a hardtail.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TTM)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TTM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Just got this, still new in box off craigslist. Lady wanted $500, she wanted to get rid of it asap, i offered $300, she accepts after a while. I pick it up, its still in parts in the box.

I think its a revenge bike.. a guys name was on the shipping lable, she was attractive and nobody else was home and was moving to cali in a few days because "something came up"

Good starter bike for me, i could easily sell it for $400-500 if i wanted to. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I found an 07 Rockhopper that looks just like that for $500 (brand new leftover) but it has discs. It retails for $650. I thought about picking it up, but I think I'm going to buy something higher end and FS.

Here's what I posted on a few MTB forums...

I'm kind of on the fence about making a purchase decision. I've been shopping MTBs for nearly 6 months now and I need some help. I've kind of narrowed it down to two bikes...an '07 HiFi leftover in my size on sale for $1220 or an '08 HiFi Deluxe which will be on sale next week at a LBS (I should be able to get it anywhere between $2000-$2100).
The '07 HiFi should be more than enough bike for me, but I feel like it has some lesser components and I can see myself wanting to upgrade it later. The test ride went well. I thought the base HiFi felt much better to me than the base Specialized FSRxc. I read the FSRxc is lighter, but it didn't feel that way after riding them.

The '08 HiFi Deluxe is an affordable dream bike for me. I don't think it would ever need to be upgraded. It has some of the best components that I could want. I only took it for a parking lot test, but after riding it and then a hardtail 29er I had to test the HiFi Deluxe one more time.

I had a chance to ride a HiFi Carbon Pro at a Trek/Fisher Demo here in the dirt last week. Wow...just wow. :eekster: The Deluxe is going to be closer to what the Carbon Pro felt like, but it comes at a price.

I thought about buying the '07 base HiFi, leaving it stock and just riding it. If I do that I might pick up a hardtail Specialized Stumpjumper Comp later. I really liked that bike, but I couldn't see myself riding it on a regular basis due to the fact I'm sure it would be a lot harding on my 30+ body than the full suspension HiFi.

Thoughts?

Old 11-16-2007, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Yellow Dragon)

Ellsworth was a nice choice

send me some info on your schwinn, I might pick it up. I have some sram X-0 (grip shift) shifters if you're interested.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Gold Member

Default Re: Mountain Bike Purchase (Jeremy D. Swain RT (R))

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jeremy D. Swain RT (R) &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Totally not true.

A good f/s bike with lockouts and and dialed suspension will climb just as good as a hardtail.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I climb better with my FS than with my HT. VPP ftw!
Old 11-16-2007, 01:04 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shamoo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Update on last post

As I get older, I find that the ability to stay in shape becomes harder and harder each day. I have decided to once again restart my mountain biking hobby.

I consider my MTBing skills to be quite good, at least they were. I intend to take part in cross country competitions, and do downhill and urban riding for fun. I'm fully aware that I need to find a "middle of the road" bicycle, and that it won't be great for the extremes of a light cross country and a beefy downhill specific bike.

I have been out of the game for several years now, so I would appreciate any feedback/advice/suggestions you may have. I haven't kept up with the evolving cycling technology. Just shopping around today, saw shock designs and model names that I have never heard of.

Things I need/want:
Full suspension
Lighter than 30lbs
Hydraulic disc brakes (not mechnical)
Less than $2000

Thinks I would like to have:
Front/rear shock lockout
Grip shifters (I'm used to them)

So far in my research and bike shop browsing, I found this. It's the 2008 Giant Trance X2. $1800 at my local bike shop, which is about ~$100 cheaper than most places I have seen. (http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/...in/1288/29375/)

I like the linkage design, and it shouldn't have too much bouncing when pedaling. There is no shock lockout for the front or rear, but that should be okay. I'm not too fond of the Shimano Deore componentry, but going full LX or XT brings it over my budget (significantly). The other thing I'm worried about is the name Giant. Back in the day, Giant wasn't a very popular model. It was almost labelled as the "Toys R Us" model of bikes, and nobody wants that. I'm aware that they have improved on their designs significantly, but the thought of this worries me. Will someone else riding a Santa Cruz look at me riding a Giant and laugh at me?

For reference, I currently have a Schwinn Homegrown full suspension. The picture below is NOT my bike, but another one I found off of Google. Purchased new for just over $2000 about 7 years ago. Graduated from a Proflex Beast and Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo. I need to sell the Schwinn, so if anyone is looking, let me know!

Any thoughts, guys? Thanks!

Modified by shamoo at 6:55 PM 11/2/2007</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have just bought a Giant Reign 2 a set up from the Trance for $1,399.99

http://wheelworld.com/itemdeta...=3878

or you can buy a Frame set and build it yourself.

Old 11-16-2007, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Gold Member

Default Re: Mountain Bike Purchase (jmk2888)

this is one of the best deals if they still have it. $749.99

http://www.costco.com/Browse/P...1&s=1

apparently it's a KHS frame licensed by Cadillac.

Old 11-19-2007, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mountain Bike Purchase (ScareyH22A)

I'm so indecisive. Anyways, I'm still thinking hard about the Gary Fisher HiFi, but I found this on Craigslist about 2 hrs away from me. The guy said it has less than 50 miles on it. I test rode an 08 Stumpjumper Comp at a LBS here and really liked it. It was light, fast and handled incredibly. I fell in love with both that bike and the HiFis. I know it might be weird to you guys, but I've actually considered buying both bikes.

Here's a couple pics he sent me. Considering these bikes are $1750 new I don't think $1k is a bad price. My co-worker is a big Specialized fan and he told me I don't need a Stumpjumper unless I'm racing. Thoughts? How much different is the M4 frame from the M5 frame?

Old 11-20-2007, 07:41 AM

Default Re: Mountain Bike Purchase (Yellow Dragon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Yellow Dragon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm so indecisive. Anyways, I'm still thinking hard about the Gary Fisher HiFi, but I found this on Craigslist about 2 hrs away from me. The guy said it has less than 50 miles on it. I test rode an 08 Stumpjumper Comp at a LBS here and really liked it. It was light, fast and handled incredibly. I fell in love with both that bike and the HiFis. I know it might be weird to you guys, but I've actually considered buying both bikes.

Here's a couple pics he sent me. Considering these bikes are $1750 new I don't think $1k is a bad price. My co-worker is a big Specialized fan and he told me I don't need a Stumpjumper unless I'm racing. Thoughts? How much different is the M4 frame from the M5 frame?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would not spend $1,000.00 on a Hardtail.

Once you've ride Full Suspension you'll never go back.

Don't get me wrong, Hardtail are GREAT but for that $$$ I rather get a Full Suspension.

I've started out on a Hardtail for 2 years biking 3-4 days a weeks, as I got better, I out grew my Hardtail.

If you're getting back into to it, you should get a decent cheap Hardtail and ride the **** out of it to development some Madz skills. Then upgrade once you have maxed out your skilled on the bike.

Happy Riding

Modified by jmk2888 at 5:59 PM 11/20/2007
Old 11-20-2007, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jmk2888 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I would not spend $1,000.00 on a Hardtail.

Once you've ride Full Suspension you'll never go back.

Don't get me wrong, Hardtail are GREAT but for that $$$ I rather get a Full Suspension.

I've started out on a Hardtail for 2 years biking 3-4 days a weeks, as I got better, I out grew my Hardtail.

If you're getting back into to it, you should get a decent cheap Hardtail and ride the **** out of it to development some Madz skills. Then upgrade once you have maxed out your skilled on the bike.

Happy Riding </TD></TR></TABLE>

I have to disagree here, you dont grow out of a hardtail. its just personal prefferance.

i've been riding/racing mountain bikes since 1990. i've owned hardtails, soft tails, full suspension, everything. nothing is better than a hardtail for cross country in my opinion. I am currently riding a Kelly deluxe hardtail and I have no problem dropping other riders on full suspension set ups.

$1000 for that specialized is pretty good coming from a shop. it looks to be in real good condition. I say go for it
Old 11-20-2007, 09:01 AM

Default Re: Mountain Bike Purchase (Thrashin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Thrashin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I have to disagree here, you dont grow out of a hardtail. its just personal prefferance.

i've been riding/racing mountain bikes since 1990. i've owned hardtails, soft tails, full suspension, everything. nothing is better than a hardtail for cross country in my opinion. I am currently riding a Kelly deluxe hardtail and I have no problem dropping other riders on full suspension set ups.

$1000 for that specialized is pretty good coming from a shop. it looks to be in real good condition. I say go for it </TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry, let me re-phrase that...

I do lots "All Mountain" and some minor "Free Ride" therefore I grew out of my Hardtail.

It really depends what kind riding you want to do.....
Old 11-20-2007, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jmk2888 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Sorry, let me re-phrase that...

I do lots "All Mountain" and some minor "Free Ride" therefore I grew out of my Hardtail.

It really depends what kind riding you want to do.....</TD></TR></TABLE>

makes alot more sense
Old 11-20-2007, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Thrashin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

$1000 for that specialized is pretty good coming from a shop. it looks to be in real good condition. I say go for it </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for all the comments. On a few other forums I'm getting people saying it's a good deal and others are saying I should be able to talk him down to $900 or so. The thing is I have to drive 2 hrs to even see it in person/test ride, etc. I think $900 would be a smokin' deal.

Also people on another forum are saying you lose any warranty buying used. Is this true? I checked Specialized's website and I can't even find information on warranty buying brand new.

As far as the HT vs FS debate. I'm a n00b to MTBing, but I've test rode a lot of bikes in the past 2 months trying to figure out what I wanted to get. There was a Trek/Fisher demo day here at one of the singletrack trails and I got to ride a HiFi Carbon Pro like I stole it. That bike was insane.

For a long time I thought I wanted a 29er and then I changed my mind after riding on on the trails and not liking the slow speed cornering that much. It didn't feel right in some areas, but the rolling speed was nice and the fact you could run over more things and not feel it was a plus. I just don't think it was for me overall.

Maybe it's weird to some of you, but I really fell in love with two completely different bikes. I might have to eventually get both...the Stumpjumper Comp HT and the GF HiFi FS. Now I just need to sell a bunch of car parts I have sitting around to fund my new love for MTBing.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

how about a Santa Cruz Heckler?
Old 11-20-2007, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mountain Bike Purchase (big pete)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by big pete &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how about a Santa Cruz Heckler?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i'll trade you a Chris King wheelset for your watanabe's LOL
Old 11-20-2007, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Gold Member

Dood if you want a hardtail, I've got a '06 Trek 8500 full XT with hydro dual shifters. A small dent on the top tube but only cosmetic. I'll sell that to you for $950. I paid $2,000. It's 19.5". Brand new frame is $400 if you decide to change it.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mountain Bike Purchase (big pete)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by big pete &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how about a Santa Cruz Heckler?</TD></TR></TABLE>

A little out of my price range.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ScareyH22A &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Dood if you want a hardtail, I've got a '06 Trek 8500 full XT with hydro dual shifters. A small dent on the top tube but only cosmetic. I'll sell that to you for $950. I paid $2,000. It's 19.5". Brand new frame is $400 if you decide to change it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry I'm kind of torn between two bikes right now...a Stumpjumper Comp and a Gary Fisher HiFi.

Oh and regarding the used Stumpjumper (copy and pasted from my response on another forum)...

I appreciate all the responses. I talked to the LBS where the guy purchased today. They seemed very helpful. They knew the original buyer (positive vouch) so I thought everything was going to work out great. The LBS actually suggested I get the original receipt from the seller AND they even offered to look the bike over for me FOR FREE.

So I'm thinking this deal is going to work out great. I call the seller and he's acting weird now. I ask him about the receipt deal and he's like "uh...I don't know...I guess...well maybe." So I ask him if there's any reason he wouldn't want to do that? I also tell him I talked to the LBS he purchased from and explained it was their idea as well as how they'd check the bike over for me. Next thing I know the guy is being really quiet on the phone...like I have to force information out of him. He finally says something about how "if you get the original receipt then you'll know how much I really paid." WTF?! Yesterday on the phone he told me what he paid. It's not like I really care that he got a great deal on it. He also says something about how his LBS treats him well and said "they might be mad if they find out I'm selling." Did he get the bike for free? What gives? So I ask him about coming to see the bike on Saturday. The guy just sits there on the phone and doesn't really say much. I'm thinking WHAT THE FVCK is going on here?! I then tell him..."why don't you e-mail me back or give me a call after you decide what you're doing."

This guy is starting to seem weird and possibly shady. It doesn't look like this deal will happen.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My Fisher hardtail is amazing for the money. AMAZING.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mountain Bike Purchase (nek0)

kona
Old 11-20-2007, 07:33 PM

You can get an 07 stumpjumper competition for around $1800.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Gold Member

What kind of build is on that Fisher?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Official Mountain Bike Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.