Official Mountain Bike Thread - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official Mountain Bike Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 12:53 PM
Will you make something up for me please?

Default Official Mountain Bike Thread

Update on last post

As I get older, I find that the ability to stay in shape becomes harder and harder each day. I have decided to once again restart my mountain biking hobby.

I consider my MTBing skills to be quite good, at least they were. I intend to take part in cross country competitions, and do downhill and urban riding for fun. I'm fully aware that I need to find a "middle of the road" bicycle, and that it won't be great for the extremes of a light cross country and a beefy downhill specific bike.

I have been out of the game for several years now, so I would appreciate any feedback/advice/suggestions you may have. I haven't kept up with the evolving cycling technology. Just shopping around today, saw shock designs and model names that I have never heard of.

Things I need/want:
Full suspension
Lighter than 30lbs
Hydraulic disc brakes (not mechnical)
Less than $2000

Thinks I would like to have:
Front/rear shock lockout
Grip shifters (I'm used to them)

So far in my research and bike shop browsing, I found this. It's the 2008 Giant Trance X2. $1800 at my local bike shop, which is about ~$100 cheaper than most places I have seen. (http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/...in/1288/29375/)

Originally Posted by Giant Bicycles
The ultimate trail bike series, Giant's new Trance X line delivers 5 inches of Maestrosuspended confidence to daring trail riders and tireless singletrack adventurers.

Frame Technology:
The all new superlight Aluxx SL alloy Trance X framesete produces a plus 5 inches of Maestro travel to conquer steep climbs and tame rough decents with ease.

Features:
Fox 32 F120R, 120mm suspension fork and Fox Float R rear shock
Hayes Stroker Ryde Hydraulic disc brakes
Race Face Rice XC handlebar, stem and seatpost
WTB Speed Disc Trail rim/sealed hub wheelset

Full Specifications:
Size - XS (14.5), S (16), M (18), L 20), XL (22)
Color - Black / Anodized
Frame - ALUXX SL Aluminum, 5.0" Maestro Suspension
Fork - Fox 32 F120R 120mm travel
Shock - Fox Float R
Handlebar - Race Face Ride XC low rise, 31.8mm
Stem - Race Face Ride XC, 31.8mm
Seatpost - Race Face Ride XC, 350 x 30.9mm
Saddle - WTB Devo Comp
Pedals - Shimano PD-M505
Shifters - Shimano Deore Rapidfire
Front Derailleur - Shimano Deore
Rear Derailleur - Shimano LX, top normal
Brakes - Hayes Stroker Ryde, Disc 180F/160R
Levers - Hayes
Cassette - SRAM PG-980 11-34T, 9-speed
Chain - Shimano HG-73
Cranks - Race Face Ride XC, 22/32/44
BB - Race Face X Type, external
Rims - WTB LaserDisc Trail
Hubs - Alloy Sealed
Spokes - Stainless Steel 14g
Tires - Kenda Nevegal, 26x2.1 folding
I like the linkage design, and it shouldn't have too much bouncing when pedaling. There is no shock lockout for the front or rear, but that should be okay. I'm not too fond of the Shimano Deore componentry, but going full LX or XT brings it over my budget (significantly). The other thing I'm worried about is the name Giant. Back in the day, Giant wasn't a very popular model. It was almost labelled as the "Toys R Us" model of bikes, and nobody wants that. I'm aware that they have improved on their designs significantly, but the thought of this worries me. Will someone else riding a Santa Cruz look at me riding a Giant and laugh at me?

For reference, I currently have a Schwinn Homegrown full suspension. The picture below is NOT my bike, but another one I found off of Google. Purchased new for just over $2000 about 7 years ago. Graduated from a Proflex Beast and Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo. I need to sell the Schwinn, so if anyone is looking, let me know!

Any thoughts, guys? Thanks!

Modified by shamoo at 6:55 PM 11/2/2007
Old 10-14-2007, 12:56 PM
grammer nawzi

Default Re: Mountain Bike Purchase (shamoo)

Not to sound cheap but Forge has a decent full suspension bike.
Old 10-14-2007, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mountain Bike Purchase (sicky)

few things.

1-You will NOT get grip shifts on most new bikes. Good luck finding one that has one

2-Any new Full Suspension will weigh less than 30lbs in the price range described

3-Go pick up one of the new Trek's Top Fuel or Fuel EX (more rear susp. travel)

Make sure NOT to get shimano hydraulic brakes, if one seal fails, you cannot rebuild them, get Hayes instead, they're fully rebuildable. Try to get everything else to be shimano, real good stuff.
Old 10-14-2007, 01:44 PM

Default Re: Mountain Bike Purchase (EG2Driver)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sicky &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Not to sound cheap but Forge has a decent full suspension bike. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I haven't heard of them, so I did a bit of Googling after your post. Unfortunately, I found most Forge bikes being sold at Target, Walmart, and Amazon. They seem to range somewhere between $200 and $350. While they probably "get the job done", I would venture to say that no matter how good they probably advertise it to be, it can't compare with a $2000 bike.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EG2Driver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1-You will NOT get grip shifts on most new bikes. Good luck finding one that has one</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree, it was hard enough finding one back in 2001 one or so when I bought my Schwinn. Everyone makes fun of me for that one, but for some reason I just like the way they work, it's easy for me. Everyone has been telling me to get the Rapid Fire shifters, I might try them for my new bike, we'll see. Please also note that I don't mean the actual brand name Grip Shift. I'm talking specifically about the SRam model where the shifter is built into the grips.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">2-Any new Full Suspension will weigh less than 30lbs in the price range described</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is what I figured. My old one was 26lbs and I considered it quite heavy. I want something light enough so that I can try light trials if I want to. Maybe I should edit my weight limitation.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">3-Go pick up one of the new Trek's Top Fuel or Fuel EX (more rear susp. travel)

Make sure NOT to get shimano hydraulic brakes, if one seal fails, you cannot rebuild them, get Hayes instead, they're fully rebuildable. Try to get everything else to be shimano, real good stuff.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't know about Trek because well...just about everyone has one. This is where my "poser" comment is going to come out. Trek (and yes, I'm aware Giant too) has many models of bikes randing from Toys R Us sub $100 models to full competition models hovering over $5000. I just want something a little more exclusive. If I'm spending around $2000 for a bike, I want people to know it's a good bike by looking at it. Trek bikes look almost the same from $500 to $2000. /poser comments Anyway, that is the one reason that I'm wary of purchasing a Giant. I would love a Santa Cruz, but they are out of my price range by about $500. I can afford it, but I don't want to spend THAT much on a bike.

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 10-14-2007, 01:48 PM
Prairie Dog Breeder

im pretty into the whole biking scene, so here is what I recomend, make sure you get a mtb with 29 inch rims, that is a new feature that should be standard on all 08' mountain bikes. I would go with Raliegh, good pricing, and super bike.
Old 10-14-2007, 04:54 PM

Default Re: Mountain Bike Purchase (93Accord117)

unfortunately, I have been out of the biking scene for quite some time, other than trials and whatnot. As far as Full suspension, have you considered looking at the GT iDrives? I had an oldschool GT DHi Race, and that thing was a dream to pedal across flat ground, even considering that it weighed nearly 55 lbs, had only 9 speeds, and 8 inches of uber plush suspension. I know that it is a "recently revised" system, and I can only imagine that they have made it better than it was before.

I'm not sure if I entirely like the suspension geometry of that Giant. It looks like it'll have a fair amount of pedal imput and it'll soak up a fair amount of energy.

IMHO, the best rear suspension geometries are those which are an in line shock like the Iron Horse Sachem 4.0 (as a point of reference, not as a bike you should get), or a 4 link, like the Specialized FSR XC, or something with an eccentric BB, like the GT iDrive system. Personally have raced on all four, and while the GT feels a little wierd for the first few minutes, you'll really notice how much better the bike feels on the ground, and how much more power you're getting, and you'll find you will end up using the lockout less and less.
Old 10-14-2007, 04:58 PM
ಠ_ಠ

I'm in the same boat as you; looking for a FS bike but I have a smaller budget.

Consider this one:
http://www.bikesdirect.com/pro...8.htm

For $1800, you can't beat the componentries.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:05 PM

Default Re: Mountain Bike Purchase (RyanJC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RyanJC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm in the same boat as you; looking for a FS bike but I have a smaller budget.

Consider this one:
http://www.bikesdirect.com/pro...8.htm

For $1800, you can't beat the componentries. </TD></TR></TABLE>

that is an awsome bike as well. Good suspension geometry. I just bought my road bike from them, and couldn't be happier. I ended up with a cheapie Motobecane Vent Noir. I love the way it rides. Very quick, and nimble

It's odd...I MTB'd all the time in Chicago, and now that I'm out here in SLC, I'm turning into a roadie...

http://www.bikesdirect.com/pro...r.htm
Old 10-14-2007, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mountain Bike Purchase (marsbike)

My newest whip...
Old 10-14-2007, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mountain Bike Purchase (purplehazek4)

I have to say I HATE GRIP SHIFTERS! I don't know how you can like those, it would be like putting a motorcycle throttle on your cars shifter. Doesn't it annoy you when you pull up and shift accidently? But hey if you like them, I guess it doesn't matter.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:57 AM
ⒽⓉ ④ ⓁⒾⒻⒺ

Have you thought about buying the frame & components separately and build it up yourself or at least part of it? You might either save or get better components rather then buying a new package and get something like LX components. (I thought at that price range you'd get at least XT level)

The fact that you already have an older bike, I'm sure the wheelsets and things that really don't change much can be transferred (cranks, handlebars, etc)

That's what I'm doing right now with my trials bike. Bought a used (but like new) frame from another guy and using my current wheelset and everything else but the frame & drivetrain will be new.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Are you completely sold on full suspension? I've been shopping new MTBs for the past 2 months and I really like the front susp hardtail 29ers. The bigger wheels/tires really improve the ride. You climib better and it takes bumps quite well. Right now I'm thinking pretty hard about one of the Gary Fishers. The X-Caliber is on the top of my list.

http://www.fisherbikes.com/bike/model/x-caliber

If you're sold on full susp I'd recommend you try out the GF try out the Hi-Fi series. http://www.fisherbikes.com/bike/series/hifi

The basic Hi-Fi ( http://www.fisherbikes.com/bike/model/hifi ) won a full susp shootout in the most recent Moutain Biking magazine I read.

Oh and I choose to support my LBS when purchasing a bike. I'll buy some parts and accessories on the web, but that's about it.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Santa Cruz Heckler, add hyrdo discs to it if the mechanicals don't do it for you. It will be around 30 pounds, beefy as hell, but climb surprisingly well for a 150mm (6 inch) rear travel bike.

http://www.santacruzmtb.com/heckler.5/

The Heckler D-AM kit is $1,999 and a great all-around package. There is a lot of room to upgrade, but no real need to for most people. Oh, and Santa Cruz bikes start at about a grand, so the exclusivity of them is greater than a lot of others, while still being practical for your budget.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mountain Bike Purchase (Tornadom)

A used Heckler should fit the bill. I'm not too into multi link full suspensions too much. There's just more parts to wear out. I've had several single pivots and loved them all.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mountain Bike Purchase (sfr4dr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sfr4dr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm not too into multi link full suspensions too much. There's just more parts to wear out. I've had several single pivots and loved them all.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I couldn't have said it better myself. If the single pivot is placed correctly and the shock setup well, there is no real advantage to a linkage type setup.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:06 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I've been looking a for a bike the past month.

So many brands, I don't know where to start.

Trek
Kona
Giant
Specialized
Santa Cruz
Cannondale
etc....

I was looking into the Specialized Rockhopper to start off with.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:10 PM

Default Re: Mountain Bike Purchase (WhoisDan)

Thanks everybody for the suggestions. I did quite a bit of research online and at local bike shops. Unfortunately, there are only a few good shops left. Continued looking at Giant, Specialized, and Rocky Mountain.

I found the Rocky Mountain ETSX30 with some nice componentry for $1800 (MSRP $2400). Pictured below, and available in either green (shown) or silver. It actually had much better parts and was an overall better bike than the Giant Trance X2 I looked at above. If it was between the Giant or the Rocky Mountain, I would chose the latter.

However, I turned my head and fell in love. I have always wanted an Ellsworth. Back in the day, it was my dream bike, and now that I have a job I can actually afford it. So yeah...I am pretty much sold on going with an Ellsworth Moment frame, and putting some of my old componentry on it. With some new derailleurs, a Fox front shock, and some other parts. I should be just about $2000 or under.

I went the loyal route to Kim's Bikes in New Brunswick, New Jersey. I purchased 3 of my bikes there, and had 3-4 friends buy from her as well. Older Korean lady who knows a buttload about bikes.

Heading over there tomorrow with my Schwinn Homegrown to see what parts I can salvage, what parts I need to buy new, and what parts I want to buy new but don't necessarily need. We'll see what happens.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mountain Bike Purchase (WhoisDan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by WhoisDan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've been looking a for a bike the past month.

So many brands, I don't know where to start.

Trek
Kona
Giant
Specialized
Santa Cruz
Cannondale
etc....

I was looking into the Specialized Rockhopper to start off with. </TD></TR></TABLE>

You're looking in the right direction. IMO ride as many bikes as you can. One day I test rode like 10 bikes back to back and it really helped me. I'm pretty stuck on an '08 Gary Fisher X-Caliber 29er though now. I rode the '07 and the '08 has a lot of improvements for about the same $$. They sell Gary Fisher at Trek stores.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shamoo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

However, I turned my head and fell in love. I have always wanted an Ellsworth. Back in the day, it was my dream bike, and now that I have a job I can actually afford it. So yeah...I am pretty much sold on going with an Ellsworth Moment frame, and putting some of my old componentry on it. With some new derailleurs, a Fox front shock, and some other parts. I should be just about $2000 or under.

I went the loyal route to Kim's Bikes in New Brunswick, New Jersey. I purchased 3 of my bikes there, and had 3-4 friends buy from her as well. Older Korean lady who knows a buttload about bikes.

Heading over there tomorrow with my Schwinn Homegrown to see what parts I can salvage, what parts I need to buy new, and what parts I want to buy new but don't necessarily need. We'll see what happens. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Glad to hear you went with something your heart was set on. Get us some updates and pics once you get it together and start riding it.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:34 PM
Dat Dere Cell Tech

im planning on getting a fisher hartail 29er asap.

paragon would be niiiiiiiice
Old 11-02-2007, 02:58 PM

Default Re: (daklown)

Picked this up this evening.

Utilized some of my Schwinn's parts (rear derailleur, cranks, pedals, seat, wheelset).

New:
Ellsworth Moment frame with shock
Fox front fork
CF handlebar
Thompson seatpost and stem
Raceface headset
Front Shimano XTR derailleur
Grips
Hayes hydraulic discs (old ones wouldn't swap over, were Schwinn specific)
And probably some other stuff I can't think of now. Too excited, sorry

Old 11-02-2007, 03:04 PM
ⒽⓉ ④ ⓁⒾⒻⒺ

Default Re: (shamoo)

Sweet!
Old 11-03-2007, 11:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nek0)

Nice bike! I'm going to a Trek sponsored Demo MTB day. I'm looking to test a number of Gary Fishers in the dirt where they were meant to be tested. Hopefully then I can decide on a regular hardtail, 29er hardtail or one of the full susp MTBs.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Yellow Dragon)

Koba

Old 11-04-2007, 08:32 AM
TTM

Default Re: (Doostur)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Doostur &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Koba

</TD></TR></TABLE>
:drool:
how come I cant buy a ****** used hard tail this day and age?? Craigslist is full of heavy *** full susp. which i dont want.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Gold Member

The Maestro and VPP suspension are excellent because they pedal efficiently beyond belief. You won't need rear lockout on that Reign. But the Reign is big and rugged so it weighs 35+ on budget parts. I think a Trance would suit you better for a sub 30 lb bike.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Official Mountain Bike Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.