Official MMA thread (Mixed Martial Arts) - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Go Back  Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion > Community Forums > General Discussion and Debate
Reload this Page >

Official MMA thread (Mixed Martial Arts)

General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official MMA thread (Mixed Martial Arts)

Old 06-26-2005, 11:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Official MMA thread (Mixed Martial Arts)

So does anyone in here train, if so what do you practice?

ALSO who are your favorite fighters???
Old 06-26-2005, 11:31 PM

Default Re: Offical MMA thread (Drag_Racer_DRU)

Gracie Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. Period.
Old 06-26-2005, 11:34 PM

Default Re: Offical MMA thread (pogiTSI)

A friend and I plan to take BJJ in a few months. Right now, we're just conditioning. Muay Thai also looks interesting.
Old 06-26-2005, 11:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pogiTSI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Gracie Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. Period.</TD></TR></TABLE>

When was the last time any of the Gracie's actually fought in a Pride fight or UFC or whatever? Sakuraba beat all the brothers in Pride. I'm not taking anything away from BJJ but you need to know how to stand up and fight
Old 06-26-2005, 11:55 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Drag_Racer_DRU &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">When was the last time any of the Gracie's actually fought in a Pride fight or UFC or whatever? Sakuraba beat all the brothers in Pride. I'm not taking anything away from BJJ but you need to know how to stand up and fight</TD></TR></TABLE>

ummm, of course everyone is wanting to stand up and fight. Its more "Crowd" pleasing. but as you can see, in real fights. They usualy fall to the ground.

You can take punches to the face. but can you take a broken arm?

Gracie doesnt have to fight, There Art is thru other people now.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pogiTSI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ummm, of course everyone is wanting to stand up and fight. Its more "Crowd" pleasing. but as you can see, in real fights. They usualy fall to the ground.

You can take punches to the face. but can you take a broken arm?

Gracie doesnt have to fight, There Art is thru other people now. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well hopefully I would be able to knock the guy out before we get on the ground and he gets his legs around my arm and neck for a arm bar lol. I dont like rolling around on the floor, if I fall to the ground I'll get up. Tho I have been dabbling in BJJ, just learning thru a friend tho. I rely on my stand up
Old 06-27-2005, 12:08 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Drag_Racer_DRU &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well hopefully I would be able to knock the guy out before we get on the ground and he gets his legs around my arm and neck for a arm bar lol. I dont like rolling around on the floor, if I fall to the ground I'll get up. Tho I have been dabbling in BJJ, just learning thru a friend tho. I rely on my stand up</TD></TR></TABLE>

yah, I agree. Standing up is good no doubt, but being able to fight up close, and very close quarters, its a graplers game. Obviously in a ring, theres only so far a Fighter can back up.

But if you can keep a grapler off of you, your golden. man, I havent watched any MMA fights in a long time. I only know alot of the old skool fighters.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My fav. fighter has to be Tito Ortiz

I enjoy watching any event though.

I've been reading, "Fighter's Fact Book." just to get in shape before I head off to a MMA GYM and kick some ***...............
Old 06-27-2005, 12:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i was doing Gracie Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. I quit because i had to get my school **** in order, becuase im moving to Austin in the fall. MY instructor was a purple belt!!!! Most BJJ instructors in the US are blue belt. Does anyone know a good school in Austin,Texas? Please PM me!!
Old 06-27-2005, 01:23 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pogiTSI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Gracie doesnt have to fight, There Art is thru other people now. </TD></TR></TABLE>

their art? so... jujutsu belongs to the gracies now? youd better call Japan and let them know. i think they will be less than thrilled.
Old 06-27-2005, 01:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Offical MMA thread (shinobijesus)

if anyone knows anyplace that does bjj in san jose, let me know.
Old 06-27-2005, 02:27 AM

Default Re: Offical MMA thread (chris408)

hayato sakurai was the dude that got me into mma. sakuraba puts up a good fight and he looks like my cousin haha. i dont really keep up with the stuff nowadays, but my favorite fighter has to be wanderlei silva....that guy is just savage!
Old 06-27-2005, 03:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i hope to start taking some at my next duty station, i just hope theres more then BJJ &gt;.&lt; not saying it's not good, just not my preference.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:14 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shinobijesus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">their art? so... jujutsu belongs to the gracies now? youd better call Japan and let them know. i think they will be less than thrilled.</TD></TR></TABLE>

woha woha woha,Back the **** up, They made Jiu Jitsu into what it is now, Gracie Jiu Jitsu is there OWN variant of the Japan origonal. Read much?

Edit: Jiu Jitsu is with an I, and its two words.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

for anyone in So.Cali that does this, where can i go for instruction? anywhere around LA/Pasadena/West Covina/El Monte/Somewhere near there or those surrounding cities? Jiu Jitsu/Muay Thai?
Old 06-27-2005, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

KRav maga but not so muhc anymore due to lack of time
Old 06-27-2005, 12:00 PM

Default Re: Offical MMA thread (comma)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by comma &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">for anyone in So.Cali that does this, where can i go for instruction? anywhere around LA/Pasadena/West Covina/El Monte/Somewhere near there or those surrounding cities? Jiu Jitsu/Muay Thai?</TD></TR></TABLE>

there are bjj school all over so cal. CHeck http://www.bjj.org
Old 06-27-2005, 12:01 PM

Default Re: Offical MMA thread (chris408)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chris408 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if anyone knows anyplace that does bjj in san jose, let me know. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I heard AKA - American Kickboxing Academy is excellent. A few UFC fighters train there.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:04 PM
El Chico

Default Re: Offical MMA thread (KingJeff)

Savat.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

a combination of Japanese Jiu Jitsu, mixed in with a handful of different chinese martial arts, I used to take lessons, but not anymore. I practice occasionly, but not as much as I used to. The funny thing is, most people think I can't fight, but no ones ever really seen me fight, I've never had to use martial arts. So I just let them be ignorant
Old 06-27-2005, 12:44 PM

i practice the lost arts like:

-kung fu
-wing chun
-tai chi
and the new age
-jeet kun do
-tae kwon do
-modernized wushu (for fluidness and flexibility)

and other sorts of random stuff. from 1998 until the present, but i just do it for a little cardio now.

i don't really have an favorite because they all have strong and weak points as of UFC or Pride...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by comma &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">for anyone in So.Cali that does this, where can i go for instruction? anywhere around LA/Pasadena/West Covina/El Monte/Somewhere near there or those surrounding cities? Jiu Jitsu/Muay Thai?</TD></TR></TABLE>

my si-fu instructs in exhange for community service for his organization. it's in chinatown, los angeles.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:56 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pogiTSI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Edit: Jiu Jitsu is with an I, and its two words.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually, JuJutsu is one of the original ways to spell the word.
Old 06-27-2005, 01:05 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KingJeff &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I heard AKA - American Kickboxing Academy is excellent. A few UFC fighters train there.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's the place I am considering. I'm really outta shape...so imma try to condition myself for a few months before joining.

I was thinking about doing kickboxing + jiu jitsu for both stand up fighting and taking it to the ground. Figure you should be well rounded.

The only thing that makes me hesitate is my bad back and I feel too "old" at 24 hehe. I've always thought it was better to get started early. I just have this image in my head that i'll join the studio, get the **** kicked outta me from a youngin, and i'll look like an ***

Good thread
Old 06-27-2005, 01:07 PM

Default Re: Offical MMA thread (EdBoon)

Here's the link to AKA...what do u guys think?

http://www.akakickbox.com/index.html
Old 06-27-2005, 03:02 PM
Team Purple

Practiced Judo and Ninjitsu awhile back. Now studying Israeli Special Forces hand-to-hand combat (CQC-Krav Maga).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Official MMA thread (Mixed Martial Arts)

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.