Official Home Improvement - Page 50 - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official Home Improvement

Old 10-19-2015, 09:27 AM
Botched thread poll

Default Re: Official Home Improvement

Originally Posted by slomofo View Post
I just removed the plate and it looks like I'll need to break tile to remove the valve.

This is what I got: Delta, Porter 1-Handle Tub and Shower Faucet in Oil Rubbed Bronze, 144984-OB-A at The Home Depot - Mobile

I'm going to cut a larger hole in the tile once I figure out the best way to do it, but what valve would you suggest getting?

You sure? The valve body can stay if it's a delta multi choice. Cartridge slides right out the front.

For this reason, I'd obviously recommend a delta multi choice.

If the same failure happens after the cartridge is replaced, the installer could have warped/fatigued the brass body while welding up the copper supply lines. THEN it's time to carefully demo the wall and replace the valve/body.

Considering you have the delta porter set, it's most likely a delta multichoice valve with interchangeable cartridges, it comes in a set which includes the valve. Costs way more to buy that porter accessory set and a valve separately.
Old 10-19-2015, 09:35 AM
aka DaZman69!

Originally Posted by BIGBLOCKEK View Post
You sure? The valve body can stay if it's a delta multi choice. Cartridge slides right out the front.

You can replace the cartridges of most diverters, not just delta "multi choice"
Old 10-19-2015, 09:39 AM
Botched thread poll

Originally Posted by sflkgjsfndgn View Post
You can replace the cartridges of most diverters, not just delta "multi choice"
Yup, although the last two that I have delt with were not serviceable.

The delta multi choice is the best recommendation due to how common they are.

Not waiting a week for a new cartridge to be shipped because you can just go pick one up in stock at the nearest Home Depot/lowes? Priceless, if you enjoy taking showers I suppose.
Old 10-19-2015, 09:54 AM
aka DaZman69!

Priceless, if you enjoy taking showers I suppose.
only 1 shower? pleb status
Old 10-19-2015, 10:03 AM
GDD Member

If they used a delta multi choice shower valve, you can simply remove the handle(small Allen bolt), remove round the plate behind the handle (two #3 Phillips) and then you will see a nice little metal ring on the shower valve to spin off by hand. After that, the old shower valve cartridge will slide right out and you can slide a new one in.

BE SURE TO SHUT OFF WATER MAIN FIRST.

Some morons weld in the new shower valve body without removing the cartridge (plastic). For obvious reasons this could cause damage.

If replacing the shower valve doesn't work, then it's time to rip open the wall, repair plumbing as needed and re tile.

FUN!

If the same failure happens after the cartridge is replaced, the installer could have warped/fatigued the brass body while welding up the copper supply lines. THEN it's time to carefully demo the wall and replace the valve/body.

Considering you have the delta porter set, it's most likely a delta multichoice valve with interchangeable cartridges, it comes in a set which includes the valve. Costs way more to buy that porter accessory set and a valve separately.
I didn't know you could replace the cartridge. I'll go to home depot and ask for a cartridge then.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:57 AM
Imgur Lives Matter

I'll BRB with some pictures later so you can see what I'm talking about
Old 10-19-2015, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Electric Cooktop is falling apart. Time for a new stove. Going induction this time, but really not sure which one to buy.

I can go super ****** fancy and get a Wolf/Miele/Thermador, or I can go mid-line with Bosch/GE Cafe, or I can go cheap-*** pleb with Jenn-Air/GE/Frigidaire/Kenmore. I don't really care as long as the mofucker works and lasts.

Anybody saavy about this ****? Budget to $4K.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:03 AM
Botched thread poll

That looks sooo nice.

I had plans to run all wires through the walls like that, but after realizing that we are probably only going to be here a few more years, I'm leaving my wiring full potato.

Just going to stick to lowest investment/highest property value increase ratio projects.

BATHROOM ALMOST DONE! gotta knock that out, redo the kitchen on a 5k spent = 20k return, get original 1925 woodwork refurbed by a pro, get new windows, paint the turd, and put on market at top dollar. Chinese cash buyers where you at
Old 10-19-2015, 11:33 AM
put title here

I got a similar set up rota with the speaker wires running into the wall, then down to the basement to give me surround sound.

I didn't use the plate you used, I just took a rectangle wall plate with the rectangle hole and used that. "Close enough"
Old 10-19-2015, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rota92 View Post
I used my mothers new Bosch last night. Pretty badass.

Also, lolz @ pleb Jenn-air when mentioning GE Cafe and Bosch as mid-line

Some people...I swear
I was momentarily tempted to buy a $6000 Gaggenau, then I came to my senses.

It's sooo purty tho

FWIW I don't actually care about pleb status, only functionality and longevity. I'm starting to converge on the Bosch 800, though.
Old 10-19-2015, 01:25 PM
GLD's Expert

This is awesome. How hard is it to install for someone with no knowledge on electric stuff?
Old 10-19-2015, 01:49 PM
aka DaZman69!

Originally Posted by Tennobanzai View Post
This is awesome. How hard is it to install for someone with no knowledge on electric stuff?
incredibly easy, I used to do it all this complicated way because the transformers were so expensive. I had to buy the right day/night sensor for the right LED bulbs, some ran off of 12v DC some 12v AC, the transformer had to be compatible with the day/night sensor. Pain in my *** but it was the only way to keep the install cost down as all the transformers were rated for like 1000 watts + because for the last few decades people have only been doing this with halogens that need a ton of power. Finally they came out with stuff made for LED. That malibu transformer I posted makes it as easy as connecting a speaker to a receiver. I have LED spotlights that supposedly run off 12v AC out front, these LED accent lights in my back yard that supposedly run of 12v DC, the malibu transformer just doesn't give a **** and they all work, didn't even matter if I wired one light reversed. It has a day/night sensor built in, and you can just turn a dial to select "on at night" or "turn off 2 hours after dusk" or "turn off 4 hours after dusk" etc etc.

you need 0 experience with electrical

IMO everybody should be doing landscape lighting now, **** is so cheap to buy, install, and run. Like 1/10th the cost it was 10 years ago.
Old 10-19-2015, 01:58 PM
GLD's Expert

incredibly easy, I used to do it all this complicated way because the transformers were so expensive. All the transformers were rated for like 1000 watts + because for the last few decades people have only been doing this with halogens that need a ton of power. Finally they came out with stuff made for LED. That malibu transformer I posted makes it as easy as connecting a speaker to a receiver. It has a day/night sensor built in, and you can just turn a dial to select "on at night" or "turn off 2 hours after dusk" or "turn off 4 hours after dusk" etc etc.

you need 0 experience with electrical

IMO everybody should be doing landscape lighting now, **** is so cheap to buy, install, and run. Like 1/10th the cost it was 10 years ago.
Where does the power come from after the transformer?
Old 10-19-2015, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I played with the Jenn-air when we thought we couldn't get our gas cooktop in over our oven and was a huge fan of it. I didn't cook on it, but I did boil water on it, because you know, that's the selling point lulz

My mom's husband won't take advice from other people most of the time, so they went all Bosch on their kitchen last week and I'm only impressed by the cooktop. Nothing else.

And even then, I wouldn't get it over the Jenn-air. But that's because all the rest of of my **** is JA and it needs to match, derp.

Mum has the 800, it's a nice unit though. Any rebates?
Yeah, not impressed with my Mom's Bosch dishwasher, but then again her Thermador Over Under oven unit has basically been asking for time/date for 3 years now, and she has no idea how to use it, lol.

I think I'm just gonna go to Pacific Sales and get bent over. Sears outlet has some cheap *** cooktops, but I have a feeling that refurb is asking for trouble.
Old 10-19-2015, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Some more house projects:

New toilets
New landscaping

Them angieslist feels.
Old 10-19-2015, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Miele dishwashers >*

Son already dented the front with a matchbox car.
Old 10-19-2015, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

IDK about these pacific sales folks, but I pay retail at a local place near me that's called "Contractors home appliances"

My parents got their stuff from them in 1981 in their first house, and then in 1988 when they built their second house. Really good people, I was happy to give them thousands and thousands of doll hairs.

:/ lol

Great service though.
Ah, you know what man, good look. Found a local joint that everyone loves. Gonna go there.

Some interesting Bosch Rebates. $200 on the cooktops, or 10% if you buy 3 qualifying items. Because my oven also needs to be replaced...and my dishwasher is loud as ****...
Old 10-19-2015, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lulz!!

I had 2 identical dishwashers thanks to the Jenn-air rebate. Sort of a free upgrade I guess.

That's the best way to go about appliances IMO, get the group and save dat cash.

Although a straight up rebate is nice. You can probably get more than 10% off if you looked hard enough when you wanted to upgrade.

Too many options. Mo' money...
Yeah a Bosch Oven-Cooktop-Dishwasher suite is looking like 7.5K before taxes. I'm hoping to get a better price by buying those three together. Maybe get free install thrown in. Either way, unless I go with shady (grey market?) online retailers, I doubt there's going to be much in the way of savings off retail.
Old 10-19-2015, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by blue8g View Post
ftfy
I've come to the realization that I'm unhappy with my current landscapers because it's so hard to communicate with them. I'm at work when they come, and my wife has no idea what to ask for when they show up. So I need someone that can not only do the labor, but I can also trust to tell me what the **** I'm doing wrong.

So imma hire a landscape architect to help me figure out how to lay out the yards, then design some drought friendly ****, and help my wife express herself via flowers and ****--which means that we will ultimately know what we want from our landscapers...or do it all ourselves
Old 10-19-2015, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by blue8g View Post
Welp, I would say doing it yourself isn't that bad, but I have no idea what it is like growing stuff in a desert coming from the land of lakes, rain and seasons.
Basically lots of edging and trimming, I'll have to mow my lawn once i place sod in the backyard. I need to do some major tree trimming and brush clearance too. Then the raking and leafblowing. I'm just kind of excited to buy a bunch of stuff and a shed to put it all in.
Old 10-19-2015, 06:15 PM
GLD's Expert

Originally Posted by bad-monkey View Post
So imma hire a landscape architect to help me figure out how to lay out the yards, then design some drought friendly ****, and help my wife express herself via flowers and ****--which means that we will ultimately know what we want from our landscapers...or do it all ourselves
Any ideas for the drought friendly yard? I usually see ugly yards or yards that look like it cost a fortune.

At this point I'm thinking of just going with fake grass
Old 10-19-2015, 06:19 PM
Imgur Lives Matter

FYI if you go to lowes they can put a quote together for you if you're spending over 2500$ we saved 12% just from that and then we were able to use another coupon on top
Old 10-20-2015, 04:09 AM
Imgur Lives Matter

you literally just gave money to hitler
Old 10-21-2015, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So I went to the local, family owned/operated store, and got awesome service and honest opinions. Then I went to Pacifc Sales, which is basically big box, and they've got major promos

At Pacific Sales, buy 3 qualifying Bosch kitchen appliances and get 15% off UMRP on top of the 10% rebate Bosch is offering. So I priced out the Bosch 800 Induction cooktop, the 800 Combo Oven, and the 500 series Dishwasher for $5,585. At the local store it'd just be the 10% rebate, and I'd feel guilty asking to price match. I guess I should give them a shot to compete with Pacific Sales.

Also, I'm tempted to go upmarket and get a Wolf Induction Stove, which is slashed from $3600 to $2500--but requires a 50A circuit. My breakers are rated at 40A. I'm gonna check actual wire sizes and see if they can accomodate a 50A breaker, but if not I'll probably go with the Bosch 800 (because it's 40A required). The features and controls on the Wolf are so much better though...

And here's a philosophical question: would you guys buy a refurb major app (aka fridge) from Sears Outlet?

In other news, I've got a plumber coming to replace my toilets and my master bath shower stuff. Toto Drakes for the Water Closets, but should I go cheap on the shower or go Grohe? I am hesitant to go Grohe because existing bath finishes are brass, and it's hard to find brass finishes these days. Cheap stuff would be a few hundo cheaper.

And then next week is the landscape architect. Bout to spend 50% of Sol's life savings on home improvement, which is fun until I realize I could buy 4 shitty project cars with this kind of money.
Old 10-21-2015, 04:44 PM
aka DaZman69!

Originally Posted by Tennobanzai View Post
Where does the power come from after the transformer?
tranformer plugs into standard outlet, lights wire into transformer, it's extremely simple

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Official Home Improvement

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.