Official Home Improvement - Page 3 - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.

Official Home Improvement

Old 04-17-2013, 01:27 PM   #51
HT Order of Merit

Default Re: Official Home Improvement

In general, tiling is easy... Just get it straight!
JDM_Ej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:33 PM   #52
B*a*n*n*e*d

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM_Ej View Post
In general, tiling is easy... Just get it straight!
I rented a laser level for my walls, made it easy. Just puts a perfect line on the wall all the way around the room.
DaZman69! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:59 PM   #53
Honda-Tech Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash J. Williams View Post
VERY nice work, impressive. now, rid yourself of that silly electric range and get an induction range.
Thanks man, cant, neighborhood is no gas.....
Mattb16teg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:19 PM   #54
B*a*n*n*e*d

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90hatch94dsm View Post
I was talking to a guy I work with about drywall and he's got one of these, says it works perfect. (not this exact one)

http://reviews.homedepot.com/1999/10...ws/reviews.htm
I use them all the time, they suck for anything you want to look nice, it creates a very rough sand

I only use it for small patch repairs where i dont feel like taping off an area.

If you're sanding anything beyond 2 square feet, way better to just contain the area and clean up later.

I learned a trick from property managment, for touch up patching during apartment turnover. I just use 15 minute dry spackle, patch all my holes, about 10 minutes into i just wipe them smooth with a wet towel, give it 2 minutes to dry and paint over them with latex, dont even wait for spackle to dry as latex is water based. I can touch up a 2 bedroom apartment full of dings and nail holes in about 20 mins total.

If you dont want to make a mess, a wet towel works great.

Got a big job, standard pole sander all day.

Speaking of drywall, wish i had a big project to do so i could buy a bazooka, thing takes taping a 2 floor house from a week to 3 hours.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:01 PM   #55
Good, Bad…I'm the one with the gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattb16teg View Post
Thanks man, cant, neighborhood is no gas.....
Induction ranges use electricity. they are a LOT more efficient than a conventional electric range.
Ash J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:15 AM   #56
Imgur Lives Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev2010 View Post
Any reason why you tiled the shower vertically vs horizontally?

My master bath as ceramic vertically. It's probably pretty expensive, but I hate it. Wish I had tile skills.
No reason at all other than we felt like it might make the ceiling feel taller. And tiling couldn't be easier. 40 dollar wet saw, grinder with diamond blade diamond hole saw for drill, there probable isn't anything I couldn't tile now, and I hope to god I will never have to again.

EDIT:

I also found a somewhat before picture of the bathroom, but I had already taken some of the stuff out, but you get the idea.

Last edited by 90hatch94dsm; 04-18-2013 at 03:34 AM.
90hatch94dsm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:08 AM   #57
Honda-Tech Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash J. Williams View Post
Induction ranges use electricity. they are a LOT more efficient than a conventional electric range.
Derrr i just saw the ditch electric part, id like to but doubt we will upgrade soon.

Quote:
No reason at all other than we felt like it might make the ceiling feel taller. And tiling couldn't be easier. 40 dollar wet saw, grinder with diamond blade diamond hole saw for drill, there probable isn't anything I couldn't tile now, and I hope to god I will never have to again
It will help, we have 10 foot ceilings in our upstairs, instead of stopping the tile in our bath at around 6 foot, we went all te way to tbe ceiling. Def makes it look even bigger and just nice all around. Will post pic later
Mattb16teg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:15 AM   #58
MEAT PATTY

I like those old school bathrooms like that ^ they always put a smile on my face when I still see them in houses. Majority of people remodel them like you did, but I always admire them for some weird reason. I like old school stuff though like old victorian stone houses. Wouldn't mind living in a castle...haha
goforbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:17 AM   #59
Imgur Lives Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goforbroke View Post
I like those old school bathrooms like that ^ they always put a smile on my face when I still see them in houses. Majority of people remodel them like you did, but I always admire them for some weird reason. I like old school stuff though like old victorian stone houses. Wouldn't mind living in a castle...haha
You see that brown spot on the wall to the left? That isn't character. Thats ****.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:35 AM   #60
MEAT PATTY

Quote:
You see that brown spot on the wall to the left? That isn't character. Thats ****.
Ewwwww
Damn nobody ever cleaned the wall behind the toilet.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:10 AM   #61
B*a*n*n*e*d

Quote:
I'm guessing his was an original bathroom, and that it's from 1955-1965.

I hate that era for style. It's probably the best era for home construction ever, but not for looks lol.

Anyway, yeah I like the Victorian stuff too. Pain in the butt if it's not updated though.

Victorian mansion with blown in insulation, new windows, new entrance doors, updated electric, updated pvc/copper plumbing, updated kitchen/baths/modern hvac but keep radiators = my dream home
Old 04-18-2013, 11:01 AM   #62
MEAT PATTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaZman69! View Post
I'm guessing his was an original bathroom, and that it's from 1955-1965.

I hate that era for style. It's probably the best era for home construction ever, but not for looks lol.

Anyway, yeah I like the Victorian stuff too. Pain in the butt if it's not updated though.

Victorian mansion with blown in insulation, new windows, new entrance doors, updated electric, updated pvc/copper plumbing, updated kitchen/baths/modern hvac but keep radiators = my dream home
Yeah I just admire old school construction...because they built them to last compared to certain modern homes they slap together in a month. Hell yeah I'm all for old school stone victorians with some modern amenities. They just usually cost a grip though...lol
Old 04-18-2013, 11:06 AM   #63
Imgur Lives Matter

Quote:
Yeah I just admire old school construction...because they built them to last compared to certain modern homes they slap together in a month. Hell yeah I'm all for old school stone victorians with some modern amenities. They just usually cost a grip though...lol
My house was built buy a brick mason that lived there his entire life. I bought it from his daughter as part of their estate. Pros were it being built without sparing a dime. Everything that was updated was updated with top dollar parts and craftsmanship. The cons are that a lot was never updated, granted things still functioned, but it was pretty evident they weren't able to care for the house in their later years. Add to that they smoked inside... The place was and still is a bit of a mess.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:43 AM   #64
MEAT PATTY

Quote:
My house was built buy a brick mason that lived there his entire life. I bought it from his daughter as part of their estate. Pros were it being built without sparing a dime. Everything that was updated was updated with top dollar parts and craftsmanship. The cons are that a lot was never updated, granted things still functioned, but it was pretty evident they weren't able to care for the house in their later years. Add to that they smoked inside... The place was and still is a bit of a mess.
I think it's really a give and take with an older house, but as long as the foundation is solid and you don't encounter any huge unforeseen expenses then it's well worth it. Along with depending on how long you plan on living in the home.

Home projects are fun until you F something up and have to call in the professionals.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:56 AM   #65
B*a*n*n*e*d

honestly I think the best construction was from like mid 40's to early 60's

It was still the era when they built everything to last, but they actually knew how to. Lots of plaster with steal mesh, many of them had steal I beams in the basements, joists 12 inchs apart instead of 16, they actually had semi-modern room layout, cinderblock foundations, modern plumbing and electrical, well semi modern.

It's like they finally figured it all out then.

Only issue is you don't get the gorgeous plaster molding some irish guy took an entire year to complete, hand made stained glass windows, butler staircases, etc etc.

The downsides to the victorian homes are unsuable basements, the stone foundation is not nearly as strong as cinderblock, but the good part is it's definately not settling much anymore. The rooms are usually too small, and it's generally a huge undertaking to take out a wall.

I'm going to have a tough time deciding when it finally comes time to buy my dream home. The gorgeous fireplaces, ridiculous crown molding, and crazy wainscoting are going to be tough to pass up.

I would ideally like to restore one, but I don't think the wifey will like that as it would probably take 3 years to do the entire house by myself
Old 04-19-2013, 07:29 AM   #66
Honda-Tech Member

I do lots around the house lol

Re-model build thread in signature
Scotty Dosent Know is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:43 AM   #67
WHEEL Slayer

I installed a new shower head in both bathrooms lol
JustHere4ADay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:01 PM   #68
Botched thread poll

Quote:
I think it's really a give and take with an older house, but as long as the foundation is solid and you don't encounter any huge unforeseen expenses then it's well worth it. Along with depending on how long you plan on living in the home.

Home projects are fun until you F something up and have to call in the professionals.
I just bought a place built in 1925, not even scared. Feels solid as a new house, tons of structural retrofitting, new copper plumbing, new electrical, dry as the Sahara under house, big real 4x4s and 2x4s, no termite damage.

This thread brings out a whole new level of jealously in me, probably won't be able to move in and start projects until mid may because we agreed to a max 2 month rent back to close the deal. :-(
BIGBLOCKEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:04 PM   #69

Super post part 1 of our basement project that we just completed. Now in the furnishing and decorating phase. All DIY except framing and electrical. Some photos were taken with my phone and the others were with my p&s.
Attached Images

jayb18caveman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:09 PM   #70

Here's part 2 of our project photos.
Attached Images

jayb18caveman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:51 PM   #71
Honda-Tech Member

i dunno about that 1940s good construction comment, i dont even have a ridgebeam in my attic and there isnt a damn thing that is square in my house....

today i ripped out some old bushes in front of my house. tomorrow im going to grab some shale from a friends property and build a raised bed out front to put some small plants in. had to clean it up a bit the bushes were getting overgrown and ugly.

after that im installing a dishwasher then its a bathroom renovation, though that might not get done till july when im off work for the summer..
blackeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:57 PM   #72
WHEEL Slayer

Can someone explain to me how to fix holes in dry wall. The lady who used to own the house has a few screws and nails in the walls and I want to fix them. I'll post pictures tomorrow.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:16 PM   #73
HT Order of Merit

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustHere4ADay View Post
Can someone explain to me how to fix holes in dry wall. The lady who used to own the house has a few screws and nails in the walls and I want to fix them. I'll post pictures tomorrow.
Damn man...that's extremely basic stuff. You have a lot ahead of you to learn

You can buy it premixed drywall compound almost anywhere. Apply with a putty knife, smooth, sand and paint.
JDM_Ej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:22 PM   #74
Honda-Tech Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaZman69! View Post
nope, ceramic is cheap ****

the skill is overrated, once I figured out how to do it I was thinking, wtf, this is it?

apply glue evenly put tile on, use spacers, cut when needed with tile saw, done

grout is literally just spreading the **** in the cracks and wiping down with a wet sponge
glues typically not used in shower environments because with consistent wetness it basically melts away and stuff starts delaminating. the glue's meant for backsplashes and accent walls.

hope you used some sort of waterproofing membrane on that window sill.
corona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:49 PM   #75
WHEEL Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM_Ej View Post
Damn man...that's extremely basic stuff. You have a lot ahead of you to learn

You can buy it premixed drywall compound almost anywhere. Apply with a putty knife, smooth, sand and paint.
lol ****** A I do lol. Any brand I should stick with? I'll take a picture I feel like I might have to repair the wall better with just some putty. The lady like drilled 4 times in a spot.