Official Home Improvement - Page 2 - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Official Home Improvement

Old 04-15-2013, 09:09 AM   #26
Mr. Indecisive

Default Re: Official Home Improvement

Been in our house for about 8 months. EVERYTHING is a work in progress lol.

Have to prioritize our HVAC system, its old and we knew it going in but it was a decent deal and the house had everything we wanted so we bit the bullet. Appying for a 10 yr interest free loan thru the state to upgrade the HVAC system. Figured might as well take advantage of free money...

Also we had some damage to the fence from the storm last year so i have to work on that as well. Trying to figure out if its worth repairing or just re-doing the whole yard...

I also have a ton of stuff to do with the landscaping and the back deck has to get ripped out so we can put in some pavers. No rush tho that stuff will get done over the next few years.

We are getting married in June so the plan is after that and the HVAC system deal we are going to start painting rooms. 1st is the foyer. We are replacing the front door, after that painting in the foyer. Then we are punching a hole thru the kitchen wall into the dinning room which will get done around the same time as the front door/foyer.

After that I NEED to replace my garage door opener, it gets stuck half the time and there is no remote (this is from the 70s)

And after that we will start painting the rest of the rooms that need it, starting downstairs and working our way up to the bed rooms...

Luckily the house is in good shape for being built in the 60s, everything has been updated to an extent. We do want to re-do the kitchen, but thats going to have to wait a few years. HVAC system, fence/landscaping, garage door, painting, paver patio/landscaping, then kitchen. Thats my priority list..

Also there is a partition between the 2 garages which i want to take out, the home was orig built w/ 1 garage but a 2nd was added not long after. There is still a partial wall between them and it drives me NUTS. Also I would like to add an entrance to the garage from the outside so i dont have to make sure a garage door is open or have to cut through the house to get tools or something.. I will prob do that at the same time as taking the wall down between the garages. I do want to extend the fence in the backyard more toward the front so more property is within the fence and so the back door entrance to the garage is within the fenced area as well...

Yeah lots of ****.... lol
EJ8VTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:34 AM   #27
Honda-Tech Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90hatch94dsm View Post
Nice idea trimming the mirror like that.

This.

I really want to finish my garage this year. Next project is lighting... I'm going to light that thing like a football stadium.
njn63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:38 AM   #28
Mr. Indecisive

Ahh that reminds me, electric. I need to work on that stuff too, both in the garage and around the rest of the house..
Old 04-15-2013, 10:05 AM   #29
Almighty Prognosticator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ8VTEC View Post

Also we had some damage to the fence from the storm last year so i have to work on that as well. Trying to figure out if its worth repairing or just re-doing the whole yard...

Chain link or wood?
Chief Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:23 AM   #30
Mr. Indecisive

Wood. I know i can claim it on my HO ins (i am my agent) but its a depreciated coverage and i have a $1000 deductible so i dont think its worth it. Im sure i can do the work myself, but i have never done a wood fence, just chain link. What i can prob do is just replace the sections as i go, dig out the old post, cement, install new post, then put up the fence section...

About 50% was damaged from the storm, thre rest is still standing but old/on its last leg, and there is about 25% of the yard that is fenced by neighbors fencing... If i do the whole yard, i want my own around the whole yard and like i said above, i want to extend it to include more of the side yard so when i put the side door into the garage its within the fenced area..
Old 04-15-2013, 11:17 AM   #31
Honda-Tech Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse95 View Post
Mattb16teg.
What did u use to adhere the casing aroung the mirror? Did you glue it to the mirror or was there space around it? I've looked up on doing that to mine but worry about the glue being visible behind casing and reflecting on the mirror.

I've turned our upstairs loft into a bedroom. No pics right now. Cosidering I've never done anything like that, it came out pretty good. Hardest part was mud/sanding. That **** goes everywhere.
I used liquid nail, it's a solid hold on it. I also just used composite moulding so it is very very light.
In order for the glue not to show you just need to not put any on the last .5 inch or so that will show, if that makes sense.

Just glue the **** out of it and use some tape to hold it while it sets:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiJekBok View Post
This looks great -- nice job!
Thanks Very contemporary but we like it.

Quote:
I was talking to a guy I work with about drywall and he's got one of these, says it works perfect. (not this exact one)

http://reviews.homedepot.com/1999/10...ws/reviews.htm
F Yea, that would be awesome but just a huge PITA with the hose getting in the way and all.
Mattb16teg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:18 AM   #32
Honda-Tech Member

Forgot to post pics of the garage, when we moved in it wasn't finished of course, which was not ok with me. Re-tapped, mudded, sanded, painted and did an epoxy coating on the floor:

Wanna get that **** done fast, grab some beer and a few friends, LOL!

Old 04-15-2013, 11:20 AM   #33
Mr. Indecisive

^ I would like to see the work but cant see the pic on my work PC.. ill check it out at home. I was actually going to post a similar topic soon...

Is anyone else overwhelmed by the amount of stuff they have to do with their home? Maybe b/c it was our 1st house, but even the yard work i feel like it could easily take up my whole weekend.. Where does everyone find time for this ****?!? I think part of my problem is i work a 9 to 5 and have a child, so week days are automatically shot, the only time i have to work on home projects is the weekend...
Old 04-15-2013, 11:24 AM   #34
Honda-Tech Member

Quote:
^ I would like to see the work but cant see the pic on my work PC.. ill check it out at home. I was actually going to post a similar topic soon...

Is anyone else overwhelmed by the amount of stuff they have to do with their home? Maybe b/c it was our 1st house, but even the yard work i feel like it could easily take up my whole weekend.. Where does everyone find time for this ****?!? I think part of my problem is i work a 9 to 5 and have a child, so week days are automatically shot, the only time i have to work on home projects is the weekend...

I agree with you haha! There is so much we COULD do.
We moved into a new town home and there was still tons of stuff to be done, simply because I wasn't going to overpay the builder to do it. There is always stuff to be improved upon haha.

I basically put all things cars aside for a few months to get into house stuff, it's more fun seeing your money go to something useful LOL!
Old 04-15-2013, 11:50 AM   #35
Mr. Indecisive

Money, i agree, i dont spend jack **** on the car anymore... But what about time? I feel the house and yard work takes up every free second i have in the day. Just having to go home at night and turn the compost pile, even stuff like that it just piles up...
Old 04-15-2013, 12:00 PM   #36
Honda-Tech Member

Quote:
Money, i agree, i dont spend jack **** on the car anymore... But what about time? I feel the house and yard work takes up every free second i have in the day. Just having to go home at night and turn the compost pile, even stuff like that it just piles up...
To hell with all that, that's one of the reasons I bought a town house!
I can cut my front with a weed whacker LOL!
Old 04-15-2013, 12:05 PM   #37
Mr. Indecisive

lol i hear ya. I couldnt be attached to anyone, screw that... so you get the good with the bad. I LOVE having a yard, but its a lot of work...

I lived in an apartment for a while and i def did not want to share a wall with anyone, especially if i was an owner...
Old 04-15-2013, 05:18 PM   #38
I really don't know

Quote:
Originally Posted by goforbroke View Post
I'm having a outdoor kitchen installed over the next few weeks in my backyard.

The demo starts today.

Probably going to make a thread so I can document the process.
Nice! I can't wait to see the results. What are some of the requirements that you put out? Cost?

I want to have an outdoor kitchen in my next place too.
A D NOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:23 AM   #39
MEAT PATTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by A D NOH View Post
Nice! I can't wait to see the results. What are some of the requirements that you put out? Cost?

I want to have an outdoor kitchen in my next place too.
I need to start that thread…heheh

The demo portion is basically over for the most part. I would rather not disclose the cost publically but if you really want to know I will PM you.

We purchased all of the appliances like the grill, fridge, and sink alone along with the fireplace, furniture and counter tops. We are also extending our upstairs balcony so we are debating on adding a spiral staircase that goes from the kitchen to the balcony. Not so sure about that yet.

Maybe I can scan the drawling of the complete layout.
goforbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:04 AM   #40
Imgur Lives Matter

Got the vanity in last night.

Can't find a before, but brown wall tiles, blue paint, brown carpet, yellow vanity that used to be white. Cast iron tub.

Here's our "Master" (ha)

Living room

before:

90hatch94dsm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:30 AM   #41
HT Order of Merit

Quote:
Same here... Have a 9 month old and both the woman and I have 9-5 jobs which leaves no time.... There is SO much to do.
JDM_Ej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:31 AM   #42
Honda-Tech Member

Details on this Vanity.

Quote:
Got the vanity in last night.

zer0bot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:43 AM   #43
Imgur Lives Matter

http://www.lowes.com/pd_297577-54446...sales_dollar|1

matching mirror
http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...llow&cId=PDIO1

I have no long term experience but it seems to be very solid.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:09 AM   #44
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks! Looks nice

Quote:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_297577-54446...sales_dollar|1

matching mirror
http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...llow&cId=PDIO1

I have no long term experience but it seems to be very solid.
zer0bot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:26 AM   #45
Imgur Lives Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zer0bot View Post
Thanks! Looks nice
Thank you, we are really happy with it, and I think it is an absolute bargain at the price.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:09 PM   #46
HT Order of Merit

We were looking at the exact same vanity and mirror set. Your bathroom layout is very similar to ours. Looks great though.
JDM_Ej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:40 PM   #47
Resident Hoser #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustHere4ADay View Post
I noticed a lot more of us are doing things around the house, or getting a house. It would be nice to get some tips and tricks and have some questions answered
Don't hire a contractor

My gf and I did this a couple years ago. Spent $80,000 and for the most part all is good but we've had issues ever since then. Trying to get the contractor to fix these issues was not a good experience. From paint issue to an oven range not installed properly that caused water to coming into the attic and cause water damage.

I wish I had hired my own worker to get all the work done. That way I could blame myself for hiring an idiot to do the work I couldnt do instead of hounding down the contractor
CAN97SH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:44 PM   #48
Honda-Tech Member

Any reason why you tiled the shower vertically vs horizontally?

My master bath as ceramic vertically. It's probably pretty expensive, but I hate it. Wish I had tile skills.
Kev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:16 PM   #49
Good, Bad…I'm the one with the gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattb16teg View Post
We've been in our house for just about a year now, here is a few things I've done over the last 5 months...
VERY nice work, impressive. now, rid yourself of that silly electric range and get an induction range.
Ash J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:18 PM   #50
B*a*n*n*e*d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev2010 View Post
Any reason why you tiled the shower vertically vs horizontally?

My master bath as ceramic vertically. It's probably pretty expensive, but I hate it. Wish I had tile skills.
nope, ceramic is cheap ****

the skill is overrated, once I figured out how to do it I was thinking, wtf, this is it?

apply glue evenly put tile on, use spacers, cut when needed with tile saw, done

grout is literally just spreading the **** in the cracks and wiping down with a wet sponge

I think a group of 4th graders could lay tile

granted there are some commercial buildings that I just wonder how the **** someone did that

but for most homeowners, especially if you just have a rectangular room, anybody could do it.
DaZman69! is offline   Reply With Quote