Official Home Improvement - Page 11 - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.

Official Home Improvement

Old 04-27-2015, 11:36 AM   #251
aka DaZman69!

Default Re: Official Home Improvement

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAN97SH View Post
Of my attic? Or roof? Or both?

I can get some pics in a couple hours, just at work right now.

I had my buddy who builds garages take a quick look. He thinks as long as a brace the attic better then it shouldnt sag anymore. I really dont want to replace the whole roof
just the attic, unlikely you will have to replace the roof, probably an easy fix, just wood in the right places
sflkgjsfndgn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 11:39 AM   #252
something gnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflkgjsfndgn View Post
I see no cup holder, the most important part of a riding mower
beer starts foaming over in 2 seconds. i'd rather hold it & drive with one hand.
5SpdH22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 11:42 AM   #253
Resident Hoser #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflkgjsfndgn View Post
just the attic, unlikely you will have to replace the roof, probably an easy fix, just wood in the right places
I appreciate the help I'll post some pics when I get home.
CAN97SH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 01:25 PM   #254
Resident Hoser #1

Here's some pics I took. They kind of suck so bare with me

North East side of attic:

East:

South east:

West:

Gad I'm so itchy now.
Old 04-27-2015, 01:46 PM   #255
aka DaZman69!

where is it bowing?

right side of "east" picture?

also not sure how bad the bow is but.... are you looking to straighten it or just prevent further damage

straightening it = more complex - would only do it if the roof looks very obviously sunken in from outside, which would effect value, or if it's currently leaking where the problem is

preventing further damage by reinforcing - not difficult but forget about straightening it in the future if you do this

it would be easiest if you edit the photos with ms paint, display where the problem is, and where the load bearing wall below it is. Which usually is the wall directly above your main beam in the basement.
sflkgjsfndgn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 02:50 PM   #256
Resident Hoser #1

The load bearing wall in the basement runs from east to west right down the middle of the house. Here's pics of the outside.

South side of house:

South again:

North side:

The load bearing wall runs from east to west right down the middle of the basement.

I would prefer to just brace it as I would I not have to replace the roof to fix this? The shingles are only a few years old.

We had some renos done in the house a few years ago. There is a wall that was taken down that separated the kitchen with the living room. I was told a header was installed but I'm not too sure. The wall does run the same direction as the load bearing wall in the basement.

There have been no leaks minus one that was caused by a new range installed. I dont think the exhaust was sealed correctly on the roof as I did have it properly sealed and havent had any issues since.
Old 04-27-2015, 03:00 PM   #257
Resident Hoser #1

Not sure if this helps. This side is facing west.

Both of the house is sagging in this picture. Facing east.
Old 04-27-2015, 03:48 PM   #258
Botched thread poll

Update on my bathroom. New shower valve installed with new proper plumbing lined up with the wall.

My contractor buddy flaked on me so I decided to man up and swet some pipe for the first time in a long time.

He was under the impression that I was incapable of handling such a task, and although I was a bit offended, the truth is I was just feeling lazy as fok so I just smiled and agreed to let him do it.

No leaks first shot, suck it.

Disclaimer, still have to add bracing and strap everything down and put the wall spacing plate back on. Tomorrow is another day.

Going to have my non flaky friends help move in the cast iron beast tub on wed, get the wall all sealed up, and then put in the new marble panels on fri/sat, mandatory it's complete by sat afternoon. Gotta get to the party in time for the fight!
Attached Images

BIGBLOCKEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 03:49 PM   #259
Botched thread poll

Been under pressure for an hr, no leaky leaky.
Attached Images

BIGBLOCKEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 04:08 PM   #260
put title here

Replaced some pavers yesterday in my patio. Spilled some grease on them and no matter what, couldn't get the stain out. Spent about an hour and glad I did. Looks better.
b_ack51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 04:56 PM   #261
Imgur Lives Matter

Would it be weird if I approached the owners of a lot with contact info I got off the city GIS tax map?
90hatch94dsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 04:06 AM   #262
put title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90hatch94dsm View Post
Would it be weird if I approached the owners of a lot with contact info I got off the city GIS tax map?
Everyone knows the ownership information is out there. If they're selling, then definitely not. If they aren't selling, well maybe just a little weird.
b_ack51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 04:11 AM   #263
Imgur Lives Matter

If they were selling I wouldn't have to get their information from the GIS
Old 04-28-2015, 05:13 AM   #264
at the jetties fishin'

dug out a 60' trench over the past couple days to finally tie my washer drain out in the garage into the main sewer. such a pain.

now I'm on the hunt to the local plumbing supply stores for a 60* 1-1/2" elbow as a 45* one wont make this one goofy turn I had to do to clear the side of the old swimming pool.
stackz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:31 AM   #265
Will you make something up for me please?

Here's a start to finish garage remodel. It was my girlfriend's parent's garage. It started as your typical cluttered garage with lots of open shelving. There was also no drywall for all walls not in contact with the home. No ceiling either.

EDIT: Did everything myself except for the concrete pad and spackling the drywall. I'm terrible at plastering it smooth and I have no idea how people do it so well. I hired a local guy to do it for me and he charged like $200 for it all. Whatever. I hate spackling!

Sadly I don't have too much of the before pics.

Ceiling area. As you can see there aren't full size ceiling joists. They are basic trusses to support the roof structure. I was a little concerned about doing too much with this due to the weight of plywood and drywall.

It was hard to put a larger beam to distribute the load down since the angle of the roof would need to cut into this beam.

There were also two vents that lead directly to the outside.

Lots of clutter up there too.

Then you have the garage floor. I thought I could patch it up with filler and epoxy over that, but after some research it seems like it was delaminating. It continued to dust even after multiple sweepings and cleanings. Called a few concrete guys over and they said it would need to be replaced. Was about $3900 or so.

Larger view of the garage in the before state. You can see how all the exposed shelving makes it look quite messy.

Couldn't find a picture of the un-epoxied new concrete but I'll edit if I find any.

Here is the finished ceiling. Bought two fluorescent lights and wired them into an existing socket in the attic. The amount of light available compared to the single bulb (from the garage door opener) is amazing. Used lightweight drywall and 1/4" plywood. I put some lightweight stuff in the "attic" but I made sure to put it all toward the sides where the load could be distributed down easier. Mostly just seasonal stuff.

Got a bunch of Gladiator Garageworks cabinets to hide all the clutter. This took many many weeks since it was hard to go through everything and figure out what to throw out, donate, or keep. Keep in mind that her parents lived here for 30+ years so it was hard for them to let go of stuff. Still some organizing left to do. We were able to remove one cabinet (and bring it to my gf's place). And last weekend, we emptied another one.

I started to price out a tankless water heater, but since theirs was somewhat new, the added $2000 or so wasn't really worth it. Sadly it sits on a drywall/wood box on top of the concrete. The new concrete did not replace this part of it (so it's still old concrete under there).

And of course the end goal was to epoxy. We waited the recommended 6 months for the concrete to cure and out-gas. Same as what I did in my garage, but I did it even better than mine. Used a thicker NAP roller and more flakes. And also added clearcoat with lots of extra anti-skid sand.

shamoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:38 AM   #266
Imgur Lives Matter

Holy ****!

when you gonna marry that girl bro?
Old 04-28-2015, 09:41 AM   #267
Honda-Tech Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90hatch94dsm View Post
Holy ****!

when you gonna marry that girl bro?
This. If she asks you for a ring, just say bish I already redid your garage. Wear that ****.
al4t1gbundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 10:30 AM   #268
MEAT PATTY

Cabinets on Cabinets on Cabinets on Cabinets... good Lord Shamoo.

I hope they SERIOUSLY appreciate the work you did.
goforbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 10:34 AM   #269
Imgur Lives Matter

Between that house and his own, Shamoo is probably keeping Gladiator afloat
Old 04-28-2015, 10:34 AM   #270
Imgur Lives Matter

literally singlehandedly
Old 04-28-2015, 10:42 AM   #271

Quote:
Originally Posted by goforbroke View Post
Cabinets on Cabinets on Cabinets on Cabinets... good Lord Shamoo.

I hope they SERIOUSLY appreciate the work you did.
Oh they do. But I like doing this sorta stuff. Coordinated/setup/scheduled new HVAC in both their houses (none of them had A/C before). Removed asbestos from attic ducting. And tons of other stuff.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:57 AM   #272
GLD's Expert

How much did the garage cabinets cost and you like them? I can spend $3K next year on something for the house and garage cabinets might be it
Tennobanzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 11:03 AM   #273
SHAME ON YOU REBECCA!

what color should I paint my kitchen?
kidcool1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 11:26 AM   #274

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennobanzai View Post
How much did the garage cabinets cost and you like them? I can spend $3K next year on something for the house and garage cabinets might be it
Well we got them heavily discounted through an AT&T employee discount and a Black Friday sale of about 20-30% off.

We got 8 of the cabinets you see on the side ($193 each). 2 of the larger cabinets in the rear without wheels ($208 each). About 3-5 smaller cabinets which you see on top of the medium cabinets (~$85 each).

Regular price is almost double so we saved a lot.

Knowing what I do now, my future house probably won't have Gladiator. I think I want some floor to ceiling cabinetry instead. Seems like a lot of wasted space on top of the Gladiator ones.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:47 AM   #275
GLD's Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamoo View Post
Well we got them heavily discounted through an AT&T employee discount and a Black Friday sale of about 20-30% off.

We got 8 of the cabinets you see on the side ($193 each). 2 of the larger cabinets in the rear without wheels ($208 each). About 3-5 smaller cabinets which you see on top of the medium cabinets (~$85 each).

Regular price is almost double so we saved a lot.

Knowing what I do now, my future house probably won't have Gladiator. I think I want some floor to ceiling cabinetry instead. Seems like a lot of wasted space on top of the Gladiator ones.
Good point about the wasted space. I'm not sure if I'll be moving later in life so the Gladiator cabinets are appealing but the wasted space isn't.

Finally installed these Easycloset closets that I bought for my wife during xmas. $350 shipped. Expensive for what it is but I basically paid for no headaches and easy install.

Tennobanzai is offline   Reply With Quote