Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official - Home Gardening and Livestock thread

Old 05-08-2012, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re: Official - Home Gardening and Livestock thread

Pretty sweet setup ya got there brae.
I'm growing blueberry, loquat, tomatoe, palm tree, cacti, kiwi and pineapple.
Blueberrys are just starting to blue..-loquat,tomatoe, kiwi and pineapple are still small doe.

How did you grow those chicken nugs doe??

Also, this is how I planted my pineapple: (start vid @ 2:00 this guy talks too much)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1klxRnjZOI

Last edited by kingofbattle909; 05-08-2012 at 09:10 AM.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:27 AM
Paragraph Alert

I grew up on a farm and one day I'm fairly sure I'll "retire" back to that kind of lifestyle. You don't appreciate it when you are young but once you are older realize just how awesome it is to be able to provide for yourself. I think it can give a great sense of purpose and accomplishment as you are fulfilling some of the most "primal" of human needs pretty much direct as it gets.

Our farm covered essentially the full gamut.

Roughly 20 apple, pear, peach, plum, fig and cherry trees plus natural pecan trees.

Several acres of corn, potatoes, tomatoes, squash, ocre, snap beans, watermelon, cantaloupe, cucumber, eggplant, black berries, greens and peppers.

Cow and goat pasture.

5,000 tree planted pine orchard.

In terms of calories per acre and ease of growing: Sweet potatoes win by a long shot as long as you live in a decent enough area for them. Sweet potatoes are actually one of the healthiest foods on the planet and you basically have to be a complete retard to screw them up. If anything you'll end up with too many of them.

Getting a few fruit trees to work is really worth it. Our green apple trees were arguably my favorite "crop". These were full sized 15'ish tall trees and on a good year produced a ton. They are also very low maintenance compared to most other crops and add both beauty and some natural shade. Peach trees were great when they produced well but they are MUCH more susceptible to disease and the like.

As for animals I personally think goats are awesome for land maintenance which is what ours were used for. Before we got ours I had an extra couple of acres to keep mowed down but with just a few goats they took care of it. Definitely don't "over goat" your land though as they will eat up everything. Ours were basically in a constant struggle with keeping up with new growth which was perfect.

Cows? Totally not worth it. They **** up your land like crazy and you put WAAAAAAY more into them in terms of water and calories than you ever get in return from slaughtering them. Yeah it might be awesome to chow down on that home raised steak until you realize that you actually spent about 10x as much to get that steak as it would have cost for you to have just bought it from someone else.

I'm also especially bitter toward cows since one of my summers was spent hand driving all of the fence posts and stringing approximately 5,000 feet of barb wire for them. A normal person would have rented a mechanical fence post driver for one of our tractors or at LEAST a pneumatic driver but my step father thought it would be fun (and of course cheaper) to simply have me pound them all in with a 20lb manual sledge driver. The only good thing was that by the end of that summer I had obtained damn near gorilla level strength lol.

Final tip: Learn to can. Without learning to can you are basically wasting half of your garden's potential. My family probably had 3 months of food stocked up in home canned goods at any given time throughout the year. Awesome because 1. Means you don't have to waste anything you can't eat fresh. 2. Saves money and 3. you'll always have a great survival stock for the zombie apocalypse.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:08 PM
MEAT PATTY

I built this fence for my girls garden. It's holding up pretty well for my first fence. The biggest issue is keeping the critters out of the garden.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i've been slacking on the diy garden this year. have plans to raise the plots. having neglected my compost pile makes me jealous of your wife's batch.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mcvtec View Post
Had many chicken s growing up, and fresh eggs are great. Bright yellow yolks is a dead giveaway of fresh eggs, and they only stay that way for a short time.

Chickens make decent pets, if you let them out they will follow you around the yard, especially if you hand feed them regularly. They are great for getting rid of slugs and snails in the garden too.

I've always wanted to get ruffed grouse chicks. Depending where you are, you can get them from livestock dealers. I think it would be so awesome to have these guys running around the yard. And they are so tasty!

Attachment 270352
Attachment 270353
People actually raise these kind of Grouse? I shoot them every fall in the wild. Lulz
Old 05-08-2012, 03:58 PM
El Chico

I buy most of my meats from a co-op down the street, Longhorn cattle. I grow peppers, butter leaf lettuce, cantoloupe,okra, cucumbers, zuchinni, squash, tomatoes (hot house, roma and early girl) as well as some onions(red,yellow and green) and yukon gold taters.

We have about 77 acres near the Red River that produces hay and alfalfa but haven't had any livestock on it since we're not up there enough to keep up with them properly. So we lease the pasture land out to my uncle who runs a huge free range cattle farm down the road aways. We used to have chicken coops, sheep, goats, hereford cattle and a half dozen horses.(Arabian, Appoloosa,Paint) Plum tree orchard, pear trees, lemon trees.

Raising chickens made me adverse to eating them now. lol Blegh!
Old 05-08-2012, 04:02 PM
El Chico

I actually started a strawberry patch at the house this year bought an old whisky barrel and filled it with a mix of dirt and sand. They're growing like crazy.

I also started a little section of blackberry trees.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:16 PM
New medicines

Better start stocking up on mason jars.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:22 PM
El Chico

Already got a bunch of them. Some still have some shine in'em.

We also preserve the plums and pears that still grow on our property up North. They are pretty much all self-sustaining now.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:19 PM
0x5359-0055

Originally Posted by ActiveAero View Post
I grew up on a farm and one day I'm fairly sure I'll "retire" back to that kind of lifestyle. You don't appreciate it when you are young but once you are older realize just how awesome it is to be able to provide for yourself. I think it can give a great sense of purpose and accomplishment as you are fulfilling some of the most "primal" of human needs pretty much direct as it gets.
This is a huge part of the enjoyment I get out of it. Prior to 100 years ago, this is how people fed themselves. Sure they could trade and barter for other goods, but most people kept a small garden and the basic livestock to ensure they could eat. I think as a society, we've gotten away from that, and it sucks.

As for animals I personally think goats are awesome for land maintenance which is what ours were used for. Before we got ours I had an extra couple of acres to keep mowed down but with just a few goats they took care of it. Definitely don't "over goat" your land though as they will eat up everything. Ours were basically in a constant struggle with keeping up with new growth which was perfect.
Yes, and yes. I'll be running fence around our currently unused 1.5 acres and getting no more than 2-3 goats at first. We'll split the property so we can move them around and keep them from killing everything. But eventually, I'd like to get a small tractor and actually use the front of the property for a small orchard and other gardens to hold larger crops like corn, potatoes, and the like.

Final tip: Learn to can. Without learning to can you are basically wasting half of your garden's potential. My family probably had 3 months of food stocked up in home canned goods at any given time throughout the year. Awesome because 1. Means you don't have to waste anything you can't eat fresh. 2. Saves money and 3. you'll always have a great survival stock for the zombie apocalypse.
This is on my wife's list of things to start researching. Everything we're growing will be either consumed by us, given to neighbors/family/etc, or preserved. Any excess waste goes to the compost, or the pig. We really don't waste much of anything around here. For a family of 4, we only fill about 2 trash bags a week, separating glass and aluminum for recycle or various other projects.

Originally Posted by goforbroke View Post
I built this fence for my girls garden. It's holding up pretty well for my first fence. The biggest issue is keeping the critters out of the garden.
This is on my immediate list of things to do this coming weekend. The ducks and chickens keep wandering into my wife's garden: the chickens to dust, and the ducks to eat the tops of my wife's garlic Need to get a small fence up around the garden for now at least to keep them out until we are able to fence that entire side of the yard.

Originally Posted by bad-monkey View Post
having neglected my compost pile makes me jealous of your wife's batch.
Jealous of my wife's batch you say..... She's pretty proud of her ability to make her own dirt.

Originally Posted by Knightsport View Post
I grow peppers, butter leaf lettuce, cantoloupe,okra, cucumbers, zuchinni, squash, tomatoes (hot house, roma and early girl) as well as some onions(red,yellow and green) and yukon gold taters.
THAT'S WHAT WE FORGOT!!!! SON OF A BITCH!!!
Old 05-08-2012, 10:00 PM
Good, Bad…I'm the one with the gun

Originally Posted by thequietone View Post
Love my freezer - I make big batches of everything and extras go into it.
there will be a hog going in that thing soon, BTW
get your sausage making hat on!
Old 05-08-2012, 10:02 PM
Streets closed Pizzagate boy

Originally Posted by __oversea View Post
pretty ghetto if you ask me, but not bad.
You aint seen nothing yet.

Red onions/white onions, yellow/red/green peppers, jalapeño peppers

strawberries, garlic, eggplant, blueberries, parsley, romaine/red romaine and basil.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:07 PM
Good, Bad…I'm the one with the gun

any garden is beautiful, no matter the size or location...
Old 05-08-2012, 10:07 PM
New medicines

Originally Posted by brock
Cows? Totally not worth it. They **** up your land like crazy and you put WAAAAAAY more into them in terms of water and calories than you ever get in return from slaughtering them. Yeah it might be awesome to chow down on that home raised steak until you realize that you actually spent about 10x as much to get that steak as it would have cost for you to have just bought it from someone else.

I'm also especially bitter toward cows since one of my summers was spent hand driving all of the fence posts and stringing approximately 5,000 feet of barb wire for them. A normal person would have rented a mechanical fence post driver for one of our tractors or at LEAST a pneumatic driver but my step father thought it would be fun (and of course cheaper) to simply have me pound them all in with a 20lb manual sledge driver. The only good thing was that by the end of that summer I had obtained damn near gorilla level strength lol.
Ok I wanted to touch on this. Cows are a nightmare unless you have a TON of them, and you have a sustaining crop from them like wheat. They are pretty capital intensive. How farmers/ranchers actually make any money is beyond me. My dad does it, my uncle does it, my papa did it before he died.

I've been there too Brock. We had a slide hammer though. Its basically a weighted pipe with an end welded on it that you slide over and use that to hammer down. Its got wing handles on it, its better than a regular sledge but holy **** it sucks compared to an air powered hammer.

You can always make quick fence with electric fence from tractor supply and its not expensive and its fast and it works. Just make sure the kids know not to **** with it. Zapping hurts, but it won't actually hurt them.

also, you might want to get moisture wrap or whatever its called, and plant through it. Helps retain moisture so you don't have to water as much, keeps weeds out with out the need of weed/feed, etc.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:30 PM
0x5359-0055

Originally Posted by Abandoned Ship View Post
I've been there too Brock. We had a slide hammer though. Its basically a weighted pipe with an end welded on it that you slide over and use that to hammer down. Its got wing handles on it, its better than a regular sledge but holy **** it sucks compared to an air powered hammer.
We use this around here for our compost piles and such. 6 T-Posts, 3 old pallets, and a little chicken wire and you can compost anywhere.

You can always make quick fence with electric fence from tractor supply and its not expensive and its fast and it works. Just make sure the kids know not to **** with it. Zapping hurts, but it won't actually hurt them.
The only issue I have here is not being able to keep animals out and away from the goats. We have a cop that lives up the street in the neighborhood, his house backs up to the very front of my property. He has 2 large dogs that like to get out and as far as I know, animal control has done nothing about it. Granted, I'm not opposed to shooting his dogs with rock salt, but the problem is leaving the goats unattended, which will be most of the time. Similar to my current issue with raccoons, it's hard to do something about it if you don't catch em in the act.

also, you might want to get moisture wrap or whatever its called, and plant through it. Helps retain moisture so you don't have to water as much, keeps weeds out with out the need of weed/feed, etc.
We actually just picked up a couple bails of hay to lay down a top layer. Will smother out weeds while helping to hold in the moisture. Makes for a lot less watering. And with the hay, at the end of the season, all we have to do is turn it under and let it compost till the following spring.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:30 AM
Paragraph Alert

Originally Posted by 213374U View Post
The only issue I have here is not being able to keep animals out and away from the goats. We have a cop that lives up the street in the neighborhood, his house backs up to the very front of my property. He has 2 large dogs that like to get out and as far as I know, animal control has done nothing about it. Granted, I'm not opposed to shooting his dogs with rock salt, but the problem is leaving the goats unattended, which will be most of the time. Similar to my current issue with raccoons, it's hard to do something about it if you don't catch em in the act.
Unless you buy some little pansy *** goats trust me when I say you don't have to worry about dogs messing with them. The dogs might try to play around with them but I've never seen a dog have any sort of "prey drive" for a goat besides a Border Collie and even then all he did was try to heard them 24/7 haha. That and even if a dog did decide to get aggressive even a fairly small billy goat can hold his ground. The only exception would obviously be with newborn kids but even then I doubt it would be an issue as goats are very protective and have no problem fawking up a dog that tries to get too close to their young.

Our goats grew up with all sorts of dogs plus plenty of coyotes and not a single one of them, adult nor newborn kid, was ever killed by another animal. That said our billy goat probably weighed 120lbs and was mean as hell so I'm sure that helped.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:01 AM
0x5359-0055

You're probably right, can't think of a goat that I've ever met that had bitch tendencies
Old 05-09-2012, 04:59 AM
Resident Gearhead

Originally Posted by mouab18c1 View Post
People actually raise these kind of Grouse? I shoot them every fall in the wild. Lulz
People do raise them to eat, or just for the novelty. Their eggs are tiny and they don't lay often. And they are so quiet too compared to chickens.

I used to hunt them as well, but I was never a good shot. Plus the woods around here are so thick it can be hard to get a clear shot anyway.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:30 AM
Honda-Tech Double Platinum Member

Its actually very possible for dogs to kill goats merely by running them to death. We had some Coyotes run a few of our goats to death when i was younger(from outside the fence mind you), and one of my best friends dogs got shot because it went to someone elses property and ran 7 of them until they died. Goats are quick over short distances, but if they run for extended periods of time its possible that their heart can actually rupture. Young goats(especially nannies) are more susceptible than older ones though, and Bucks/Billies will even start fighting back or standing their ground once they get big enough.

Make sure that your goats have shelter from the rain and a place where they can dry their feet. Goats typically hate the rain and will greatly appreciate shelter, and they seem to be get hoof rot faster than most hooved animals so its recommended for them to have a place to keep their feet dry when it rains.

Theyre definitely cool animals to have around though, especially if you have kids. I used to love our goats growing up because they didnt run away and always seemed to enjoy attention. Just dont let young kids around them without supervision because goats are deceptively strong and can trample young kids on accident.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:43 AM
0x5359-0055

Originally Posted by sCeRaXn View Post
Make sure that your goats have shelter from the rain and a place where they can dry their feet.
For sure. I actually plan to throw a "Barn Raising" party before getting the goats. Fence off the front property, and then construct a miniature barn with some brahs and brews.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:45 AM
MEAT PATTY

Originally Posted by 213374U View Post
This is on my immediate list of things to do this coming weekend. The ducks and chickens keep wandering into my wife's garden: the chickens to dust, and the ducks to eat the tops of my wife's garlic Need to get a small fence up around the garden for now at least to keep them out until we are able to fence that entire side of the yard.
lol yeah.... you have real problems we don't have any chickens, ducks, or goats on our property. Something keeps eating the leaves off the strawberry plants . We aren't using any chemicals either so keeping out the critters is a little harder.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:50 AM
0x5359-0055

Originally Posted by goforbroke View Post
We aren't using any chemicals either so keeping out the critters is a little harder.
We're doing the all-natural "pesticide" thing as well. Namely bordering our beds/garden with flowers/plants that deter pests. Can't remember which ones my wife chose to go with, but I'll post em up when I find out.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:06 AM
Resident Hoser #1

Originally Posted by Knightsport View Post
butter leaf lettuce.....
MMMMM the first cut of this stuff is amazing!!! It doesnt compare to ANY grocery store butter lettuce. Not even close.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Why do goats need dry feet?
Old 05-09-2012, 06:31 AM
0x5359-0055

Originally Posted by sCeRaXn View Post
they seem to be get hoof rot faster than most hooved animals so its recommended for them to have a place to keep their feet dry when it rains.
Reading is your friend

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Official - Home Gardening and Livestock thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.