Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official - Home Gardening and Livestock thread

Old 05-08-2012, 05:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re: Official - Home Gardening and Livestock thread

Originally Posted by 213374U View Post
The goats would be for milk/slaughter, yes. Same goes for the non-producing chickens. The ducks were a gift from my brother-in-laws to their nieces, my daughters. I figure they'll eventually fly the coup, but until then they are welcome guests. As for the pig, at this point he's just here, and at times, I'd rather him not be. He may go to slaughter, he may simply die of old age, haven't really decided his fate yet. I'd really like to give him back to my mother-in-law and let him be her issue to deal with.
i see, that's cool. Raising your food sounds pretty awesome. I'd definitely like to do it but I dont think i'll be in a situation anytime soon that'll let me have something other than a very small garden.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:38 AM
Widow's Son

As for the eggs though, how many of you have had truly fresh eggs?

My co-worker has a few hens and he'll bring some (eggs) to work. The eggs are wonderfully more yellow and I don't know how to describe the taste accurately but there's definitely a difference. It's tastier though.

I would love to be able to have some livestock/small garden but my HOA and limited yard size prevent me from doing so. As a kid, I had 2 chickens that I raised for about a year. One was killed off by a neighbors dog and the other we donated to a local petting zoo. I would go out every morning and feed them and it was awesome. The one follow me around every where. lol
Old 05-08-2012, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The goats would be for milk/slaughter, yes. Same goes for the non-producing chickens. The ducks were a gift from my brother-in-laws to their nieces, my daughters. I figure they'll eventually fly the coup, but until then they are welcome guests. As for the pig, at this point he's just here, and at times, I'd rather him not be. He may go to slaughter, he may simply die of old age, haven't really decided his fate yet. I'd really like to give him back to my mother-in-law and let him be her issue to deal with.
But bacon?
Old 05-08-2012, 05:43 AM
Daisy... Daisy...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is one of my little patches. It will be planted this week.
Attached Images  
Old 05-08-2012, 05:55 AM
Honda-Tech Double Platinum Member

I grew up on an old farm so i did most of this stuff my entire life. It wasnt a working farm, but we had about an acre and a half dedicated to livestock and another half acre or so of gardens. It was a lot of work, but in the end raising most of our own food saved my parents a lot of money each year. Besides, they had me and my brother on hand to do most of the work. Getting up a few hours before school every morning to feed and water the animals sucked, but that night when i sat down to the table to eat a 10oz fresh cut pork chop i didnt really care about all of that work lol

Unfortunately, i live just inside the city limits so i cant have any kind of livestock. I could own some Chickens, but i know theyd drive my neighbors crazy and my dog would probably just end up killing them all. My boss has around 70 chickens at the moment so i still get fresh eggs atleast once a week. Im also going to go in with him on a calf to be raised and slaughtered. We did it with a Pig last year and ended up with over 80lbs of pork each, and thats after we both donated a combined 25lbs of it to a local shelter. I had to give some of it away to friends as well since my freezer was full. Wont be a problem this year though since i now have a 12 cu/ft chest freezer

I doubt ill do a big garden this year. I usually do one but im planning on building a small pond and seating area/flower garden where my veggie garden used to be. Ill be tlling up another spot at the bottom of the yard and start mixing in compost so that it will be ready for next year though. Ill probably plant some tomatoes, peppers, and cucumbers in a little garden beside the house that i used to use for flowers. It just wouldnt be right if i didnt grow anything lol
Old 05-08-2012, 05:59 AM
Resident Gearhead

Had many chicken s growing up, and fresh eggs are great. Bright yellow yolks is a dead giveaway of fresh eggs, and they only stay that way for a short time.

Chickens make decent pets, if you let them out they will follow you around the yard, especially if you hand feed them regularly. They are great for getting rid of slugs and snails in the garden too.

I've always wanted to get ruffed grouse chicks. Depending where you are, you can get them from livestock dealers. I think it would be so awesome to have these guys running around the yard. And they are so tasty!

Name:  ruffed-grouse-450.jpg
Views: 638
Size:  59.2 KB
Name:  GrouseLRG_LBrown.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  236.5 KB
Old 05-08-2012, 06:01 AM
Resident Gearhead

Originally Posted by Dogginator View Post
How much sun does that spot get? Looks a little shady.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:03 AM
Daisy... Daisy...

Originally Posted by mcvtec View Post
How much sun does that spot get? Looks a little shady.
It get's sun until about 2:00 PM EST, so about 9-10 hours in the summer.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:04 AM
0x5359-0055

Originally Posted by AzCivic1.6 View Post
Raising your food sounds pretty awesome.
It's great knowing they've been given absolutely zero meds or hormones and I feel a hell of a lot better letting my kids eat this than anything bought in the store.

Originally Posted by Johnny. View Post
The eggs are wonderfully more yellow and I don't know how to describe the taste accurately but there's definitely a difference. It's tastier though.
They are most definitely more tasty than any store bought egg I've ever had and that taste translate directly to anything you use them in. Here are just a few fun nutritional facts about fresh vs store bought (taken from here:

• 1⁄3 less cholesterol• 1⁄4 less saturated fat• 2⁄3 more vitamin A• 2 times more omega-3 fatty acids• 3 times more vitamin E• 7 times more beta carotene

Originally Posted by 1995Ex_Sedan View Post
But bacon?
Really need to get a good chest deep freezer before we could consider it. But yes, bbaaaaaccccooooooonnnnnn.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:16 AM
0x5359-0055

Chickens make decent pets, if you let them out they will follow you around the yard, especially if you hand feed them regularly. They are great for getting rid of slugs and snails in the garden too.
They are definitely entertaining to watch run around the yard. And yes, they follow us every morning when we open the coup and any time we walk to the garden, as their expecting us to throw out any insects we may find. They have also done wonders for the yard, we see nearly zero insects and the grass looks ****ing awesome.

I've always wanted to get ruffed grouse chicks.
Interesting looking birds, will have to show these to the rib.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:17 AM
0x5359-0055

Planting on pavement? How deep are you planning the raised bed?
Old 05-08-2012, 06:20 AM
Daisy... Daisy...

Planting on pavement? How deep are you planning the raised bed?
LOL, it is all dirt. I built a small wall to prevent migration of said dirt onto the driveway. We grow chard, tomatoes and zuchinni there for the most part. There are various patches around the yard.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:21 AM
Resident Hoser #1

They are most definitely more tasty than any store bought egg I've ever had and that taste translate directly to anything you use them in. Here are just a few fun nutritional facts about fresh vs store bought (taken from here:

• 1⁄3 less cholesterol• 1⁄4 less saturated fat• 2⁄3 more vitamin A• 2 times more omega-3 fatty acids• 3 times more vitamin E• 7 times more beta carotene
This really depends on what you feed your livestock of course.

I buy nothing but grain fed free running chicken eggs and they really do taste different than mass produced eggs. They have a richer taste for sure
Old 05-08-2012, 06:32 AM
0x5359-0055

LOL, it is all dirt. I built a small wall to prevent migration of said dirt onto the driveway. We grow chard, tomatoes and zuchinni there for the most part. There are various patches around the yard.
Ahhh, I see now

Plenty of space for a small crop
Old 05-08-2012, 06:34 AM
grammer nawzi

Great idea for a thread. My contributions are not much, but they work for us. We have a fig tree, a plum tree (not pictured), two raised garden boxes and I had to spread a ****-ton of mulch.

Also, the pictures of the raised beds were planted six weeks prior to the second set of images. I have harvested most of my spinach, have harvested some of the bib lettuce, and been hacking away at the broccoli for the past 2 weeks. **** is awesome.
Attached Images          
Old 05-08-2012, 06:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've never had fresh eggs but I heard they're incredible. I don't really like eggs so I'm not too worried

My parents grow a pretty nice garden every year. They use seeds from the previous year and grow all the plants themselves.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:38 AM
0x5359-0055

Love figs! Neighbor has a couple trees and brings us as many as we can eat.

@tron_: It's funny you mention they grow them from seed, we have noticed that the plants we grew from seed have surpassed the transplants in size and look to be alot healthier as well. Same for your folks crop?
Old 05-08-2012, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Irrigation will be the next undertaking as far as the garden goes. Need to make a few more trellises for tomato plants and such, but watering will be the next big project. As for peaches, that's my only tree at the moment in the 4th pic from the bottom but have plans to add several more.

Really need to get current pics of the garden up doe. It's coming along quite nicely. I know right now we have tomatoes, lettuce, cucumbers, green/yellow squash, green/red/yellow bell peppers, carrots, jalapenos, garlic, and more.
What kind of irrigation system are you planning? Do you harvest rainwater or recycle grey water?

Fresh eggs are the best, you really can taste the difference I was buying mine from a guy in town but he raised his prices on me and as long as I had to wait for them, the extra trip to his place wasn't worth the hassle. I REALLY want chickens of my own just for eggs but have to get a house first. What is your cost to raise a chicken and did you get yours as eggs or full grown?

Really need to get a good chest deep freezer before we could consider it. But yes, bbaaaaaccccooooooonnnnnn.
Love my freezer - I make big batches of everything and extras go into it.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:57 AM
Arriving somewhere but not here

Used to know a man that brought trays of free "reject" eggs to us, fresh and unwashed, basically as they came out of the chicken. Sometimes double yolk eggs cause there was no market for them, they were HUGE. Didn't even resemble store eggs.

He got arrested for animal cruelty in the end, long story involving cage pigs, flinging around chickens and a V8 smallblock tractor we sold him. I mostly bake anyway so it's no big deal, don't like cooked eggs on their own.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Love figs! Neighbor has a couple trees and brings us as many as we can eat.

@tron_: It's funny you mention they grow them from seed, we have noticed that the plants we grew from seed have surpassed the transplants in size and look to be alot healthier as well. Same for your folks crop?
Absolutely, they used to buy store bought plants for a while but when they started growing them from seed the plants not only were larger in size, but also were more hearty. With the store bought plants my mom and dad had to tend to the garden constantly, with these plants they seem to require less maintainence. Maybe because the store bought ones were constantly kept in a regulated environment?
Old 05-08-2012, 07:12 AM
0x5359-0055

Originally Posted by thequietone View Post
What kind of irrigation system are you planning? Do you harvest rainwater or recycle grey water?
I'll be doing some form of drip irrigation using PVC pipe in the shape of the garden (1 section for each individual row) with separate valves for each row. At first, we'll have to manually operate/water the garden, but I would eventually like to get some electronic valves and setup an old desktop I have as a controller which I can program for each individual row.

We don't currently harvest rainwater nor recycle grey water, but we are fed via a well. So in essence, any water used in the garden gets recycled.

Originally Posted by thequietone View Post
What is your cost to raise a chicken and did you get yours as eggs or full grown?
I haven't worked out the exact cost for each chicken, but we raise them from young chicks, buy them for $2-$3 a piece. We go through a bag of scratch and a bag of crumble every 3-4 weeks for all birds (~20) and both of those sell for around ~$15. As said above, we're on well water, so the cost of water is only in electricity supplied to the pump.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:16 AM
0x5359-0055

Originally Posted by 328FTW View Post
Used to know a man that brought trays of free "reject" eggs to us, fresh and unwashed, basically as they came out of the chicken.
Unwashed (until right before consumption) is the only way to go as the protective layer allows them to keep for longer. A good way of keeping store bought eggs is to rub them in mineral oil (resembles the natural "sack/protective layer" around the natural egg), return them to the crate, and store them in a cool place. They'll keep for up to a year that way.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:32 AM

I in fact knew this, only danger with his eggs would be the ones he didn't put a light through which being a neighbour kind of deal happened. Could hit a fertilised one every now and again, that **** can be RANK. Hit one as the last one from a big tray and it was developed along enough that it was not quite what you expect to find in an egg, maybe it had a long weekend or something to incubate. Either way that really stunk like **** when I cracked it open.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:38 AM
0x5359-0055

We remove the eggs from the coup daily, no time to incubate.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:00 AM

Don't have chickens here, don't have the luxury of that. Chickens are the only things I can stand, goats eat all the trees, sheep and cows try to get out on the road all the time. I spend enough time cleaning up accidents we didn't cause. Last one was a couple weeks ago, I could just about make a living on disassembling the cars that crash into us.

Actually my grandfather has a great garden, he doesn't buy any vegetables, all grown. He's great at it but getting too old so I go up every now and then and prepare the rows etc Makes his own compost to, has water tanks setup. If I buy a motorbike this year I might look into chickens more, the cost of fuel and daily driving a modified V8 is becoming too expensive to get where and what I need when I need it. I'd be keeping anything like that out at the shed and I'm not always there, I'm there even less when it costs too much to tour around back and forth between my grandparents that need help these days.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Official - Home Gardening and Livestock thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.