Official Home Automation Thread - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.

Official Home Automation Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 10:28 AM
Imgur Lives Matter

Default Official Home Automation Thread

Here is where we can talk about turning your house into a space ship and eventually HAL 9000 yourself.

Things are getting easier than ever.

Using Smartthings integration, a single "smart hub" that can now control almost anything via a single app.

App doesn't exist? Some guy on Github has probably already written the code for a "virtual device" that mirrors and commands the real one.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:34 AM
El Chico

Default Re: Official Home Automation Thread

Rocking the iAD DLC 1000 with garage door control, wifi camera system, smart thermostat, remote sprinkler system control, remote door locks and complete home security with fire and CO2 detection. All controlled within an APP.

The cameras run a couple hundred a piece so I am slowly adding more.

I also have an automation app for the pool on a separate APP that allows me to turn on everything remotely and even heat the hot tub while we are out to dinner.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:37 AM
Imgur Lives Matter

Here is the 2nd Gen Smartthings Hub

Amazon.com: Samsung SmartThings Hub: Home Improvement Amazon.com: Samsung SmartThings Hub: Home Improvement

Yes there are other options out there, but Smartthings and the community work to make things simple and intuitive.

I currently use the Nest thermostat, which I love, but I am going to move to two of the Zen thermostats at the new house:

ZEN Thermostat - White - - Amazon.com ZEN Thermostat - White - - Amazon.com

It's cheaper than the Nest by 60 dollars, and I want to focus on "bigger picture" smart devices instead of things that require more attention at the device. It is also officially supported which will ease installation and use. What good is a smart house if it isn't user friendly?

I currently use, and will be moving to the new house this:

Chamberlain MYQ-G0201 MyQ-Garage Controls Your Garage Door Opener with Your Smartphone - Garage Automation Products - Amazon.com Chamberlain MYQ-G0201 MyQ-Garage Controls Your Garage Door Opener with Your Smartphone - Garage Automation Products - Amazon.com

The chamberlain MyQ. It works great for what it is, and I really like it because I'm very good at forgetting if I shut the garage door.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:38 AM
Drunk Wagon Pilot

Originally Posted by Knightsport View Post
Rocking the iAD DLC 1000 with garage door control, wifi camera system, smart thermostat, remote sprinkler system control, remote door locks and complete home security with fire and CO2 detection. All controlled within an APP.

I also have an automation app for the pool on a separate APP that allows me to turn on everything remotely and even heat the hot tub while we are out to dinner.
just rub it in why don't ya?
Old 08-27-2015, 10:39 AM
Imgur Lives Matter

Do you have a link to the iAD stuff?
Old 08-27-2015, 10:40 AM
Video Game Collector

So... as someone anticipating my building permit in November, what tech gadgets are much haves?

I was thinking about some type of camera at least, but most of them are just live streams and not recording. That doesn't really help me at all.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:40 AM
Drunk Wagon Pilot

I'm starting to look into these automation things but since I'm still probably a couple years out from buying a house I'm waiting to see what tech becomes available in the near future and figure out something.

Pretty sure Amazon/Google are putting a lot of effort into things like this what with the Google Nest acquisition and Amazon Echo being able to control things by voice commands.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:43 AM
Imgur Lives Matter

Originally Posted by jonebone View Post
So... as someone anticipating my building permit in November, what tech gadgets are much haves?

I was thinking about some type of camera at least, but most of them are just live streams and not recording. That doesn't really help me at all.
I think the best bet is like yours, "built in" from the get go. But the way things are moving its getting easier and easier to add a little at a time.

Originally Posted by Pinja View Post
I'm starting to look into these automation things but since I'm still probably a couple years out from buying a house I'm waiting to see what tech becomes available in the near future and figure out something.

Pretty sure Amazon/Google are putting a lot of effort into things like this what with the Google Nest acquisition and Amazon Echo being able to control things by voice commands.
The amazon echo actually works with smart things. Its like the clapper of the 21st century.

God help you if someone named Alexa lives in your house though

https://vimeo.com/136672350
Old 08-27-2015, 10:45 AM
Drunk Wagon Pilot

home server/RAID setup for video recording purposes?

would be my guess
Old 08-27-2015, 10:47 AM
something gnarly

ugh, I'm making a leak detector exactly like that smartthings one out of a raspberry pi right now.

do you guys plan on having (or already have) a UPS or whole-house generator with an ATS so some of these things can still work while the power is out?
Old 08-27-2015, 10:48 AM
Video Game Collector

Originally Posted by Pinja View Post
home server/RAID setup for video recording purposes?

would be my guess
That's probably overkill though. I have no monitoring at my current house (6 years) and live in a virtually non-existent crime area. Just have mulled it over for peace of mind really.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:51 AM
El Chico

Originally Posted by 90hatch94dsm View Post
Do you have a link to the iAD stuff?

https://my-digitallife.att.com/learn...and-automation
Old 08-27-2015, 10:51 AM
Imgur Lives Matter

Originally Posted by 5SpdH22 View Post
ugh, I'm making a leak detector exactly like that smartthings one out of a raspberry pi right now.

do you guys plan on having (or already have) a UPS or whole-house generator with an ATS so some of these things can still work while the power is out?
I plan on getting a generator the next time they have an employee sale.

But I also have no intention of being dependent on any of this in case of an outage.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:56 AM
Imgur Lives Matter

Does att have packaged discounts? we have ATT internet +wireless

They also show that they can use/expand preexisting wired security systems, which is awesome.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:58 AM
El Chico

Does att have packaged discounts? we have ATT internet +wireless

They also show that they can use/expand preexisting wired security systems, which is awesome.
They do indeed. They were running a special not long ago that included a few of the more popular items for $99 plus a 2 year monitoring contract. The equipment in the package was worth like $800.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:00 AM
Video Game Collector

ATT thing isn't available in my area. I may just look into getting a couple of wifi cameras on the network and seeing how hard that would be.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:04 AM
Imgur Lives Matter

They do indeed. They were running a special not long ago that included a few of the more popular items for $99 plus a 2 year monitoring contract. The equipment in the package was worth like $800.
awesome
Old 08-27-2015, 11:09 AM
something gnarly

But I also have no intention of being dependent on any of this in case of an outage.
Yea, it's the leak detection I was concerned about.

If my house floods, it's most likely because the power is out and the battery back-up on the pump also failed. So that means my internet will also be out, so my detector won't text me so I can get home and try to get things under control.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:13 AM
Imgur Lives Matter

If my house floods, it's most likely because the power is out and the battery back-up on the pump also failed. So that means my internet will also be out, so my detector won't text me so I can get home and try to get things under control.
I didn't think about things like leak detection etc

Have you checked out the watercop?

Watercop by Dynaquip > Purchase Products
Old 08-27-2015, 11:26 AM
El Chico

The AT&T system has a huge battery back up and moisture detectors can be added to your package.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:56 PM
aka DaZman69!

Anybody know of a wifi door lock that would work with an apartment building front door?

kevo would be perfect if it wasn't a dead bolt. Need a locking latch, like any commercial door.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:43 PM
Imgur Lives Matter

Originally Posted by sflkgjsfndgn View Post
Anybody know of a wifi door lock that would work with an apartment building front door?

kevo would be perfect if it wasn't a dead bolt. Need a locking latch, like any commercial door.
I think there is a way with the schlage connect
Old 08-27-2015, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

gigabit wire your haus!
Old 08-27-2015, 05:46 PM
I really don't know

I have wifi and apple TV and it's like I am living with the Jetsons. I am almost living in the 2000's but only 2 of my 3 garage doors have a garage door opener.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:30 AM
something gnarly

does anyone know how these automated locks work? I'm looking at the Danalock one right now, but they all seem to be the same pretty much.

If you have it set to auto-unlock it says it locks behind you once you're in the house. If I go over 30' away, the doorbell rings, and I come back will it auto-unlock again? Or does it know which side of the door you're on somehow?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Official Home Automation Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.