Notices
General Discussion and Debate Discuss, Debate, and Converse with other Honda-Tech members in a mature, intelligent manner.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official automation thread: Is your job at risk?

Old 03-30-2019, 10:31 PM
I ask Twitter, not xtrac1

Default Re: Official automation thread: Is your job at risk?

Originally Posted by Caoboy View Post
Grow or die. If you ain't growing yourself, you're leaving yourself behind.
Technonolgy and automation is gaining faster than most can grow.
Old 03-31-2019, 03:33 AM
SHAME ON YOU REBECCA!

truth, and the reality is majority of the population are not tech oriented. If it wasn't for smartphones with apps, the number of people online would be a lot less. Only the willing and techies would dominate.
Old 03-31-2019, 03:48 AM
-Intl Steve Krew

Originally Posted by rico91stang View Post
Automation is trying to get rid of your job too. What are you going to do?
Old 03-31-2019, 03:48 AM
-Intl Steve Krew

Originally Posted by kidcool1977 View Post
truth, and the reality is majority of the population are not tech oriented. If it wasn't for smartphones with apps, the number of people online would be a lot less. Only the willing and techies would dominate.
Let's get rid of smartphones then
Old 03-31-2019, 04:34 AM
rookn00b

It’s definitely at risk.

Last edited by xtrac1; 03-31-2019 at 07:43 AM.
Old 03-31-2019, 04:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Who cares if you've streamlined your business operations and saved money with automating everything if there isn't a robust economy to sell your product to? There are things that can and should be automated to allow workers to focus on other responsibilities and yes, there will be some continued attrition as a result. But I don't buy into this idea that all humans will be replaced with robots because it won't matter if everyone is jobless and without money to buy things.
Old 03-31-2019, 07:39 AM
SHAME ON YOU REBECCA!

Originally Posted by BeeResp0nsible View Post
Who cares if you've streamlined your business operations and saved money with automating everything if there isn't a robust economy to sell your product to? There are things that can and should be automated to allow workers to focus on other responsibilities and yes, there will be some continued attrition as a result. But I don't buy into this idea that all humans will be replaced with robots because it won't matter if everyone is jobless and without money to buy things.
The consumer system would collapse, homes can't be paid for or bought. Banks losing money. Sheriff sales with surplus inventories. You're right I think people are over reacting,

I would love to have a maid robot, that can do anything a cleaning lady can do. I have Ilife (I robot knock off) and I like it, but I wish it were more self aware. in that it would just clean with out me setting up a schedule. Yup, this is what tech does to people, makes us lazier
Old 03-31-2019, 09:37 AM
-Intl Steve Krew

Originally Posted by BeeResp0nsible View Post
The jobs that are streamlined with robotics are not ones that will shut down the economy.

Cashiers, order selectors, most linestaff factory jobs, humans are less efficient at it, cause problems, complain, demand better pay for no skill, and then get replaced by robots. A lot of people get into these jobs because they don't require schooling. It's easy, in the fact you don't have to think. It's decent pay (if you think $20/hr is decent) the problem is that these people think they can stay in these positions for 30 years and career as an order selector making $40/hr and retire off of it.

Those days of stable factory jobs are gone unless you're trying to move up within the business.
Old 03-31-2019, 12:57 PM
SHAME ON YOU REBECCA!

Originally Posted by Caoboy View Post
The jobs that are streamlined with robotics are not ones that will shut down the economy.

Cashiers, order selectors, most linestaff factory jobs, humans are less efficient at it, cause problems, complain, demand better pay for no skill, and then get replaced by robots. A lot of people get into these jobs because they don't require schooling. It's easy, in the fact you don't have to think. It's decent pay (if you think $20/hr is decent) the problem is that these people think they can stay in these positions for 30 years and career as an order selector making $40/hr and retire off of it.

Those days of stable factory jobs are gone unless you're trying to move up within the business.
Depending where you live on this continent 20 hourly goes very far, add in overtime you're doing good. And if you're single skies the limit. Just be financially disciplined and you'll have a good life in the USA.
I was at Samuel Adams brewery and they pay that amount (few dollars more) those people are operators. When they are very busy they source temps. for the repetitive task that could easily be automated. why they have not done away with people is a mystery. A lot of the production process is very out dated. and very few people stay (americans, lol), except the Mexicans or other nationalities. Also, the wage is insulting but they are proud of money earned.
Old 03-31-2019, 01:13 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

Sam Adams is a different type of company though, the owner started it as a hobby and it blew up into what it is today. As long as it's profitable to stay in business and keep his employees happy I don't think the owner would automate.

That $20/hr wage is in CA, it's sort of an average of what I've heard from workers here in a lot of the manufacturing jobs. They usually start around $15 as a temp and then bump up to around $20 as a permanent hire. People wait like 1-3 years to get hired on. The higher paying ones are union, usually topping out around $26. All of the union jobs are shuttering and moving out of State. A local company shuttered and moved to Nebraska and Missouri. They can't handle the workload that the one facility did here, they're too slow, they have too many red tagged parts (errors) and rumor is that a big contracts are thinking of pulling out. The business was sold off and then the new owners decided to cut costs and that's when/why they moved. A lot of the job was already automated too, they were still employing about 800 workers in the area. A lot of those people scrambled to the next factory job in the area that they could find. It keeps getting impacted, and more and more facilities are opening up branches in other parts of the country "expanding" but in reality within 5-10 years they'll be out of california or be a skeleton hub with all the linestaff type jobs gone to where they can pay less or be automated.
Old 03-31-2019, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Doesn't seem likely.

Petroleum Engineer.
Old 03-31-2019, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Being in sales, I'm in the people business. But I'd be an idiot to expect good fortune will exist for the next 30 years, constant growth, learning and adaptability are paramount.

I won't lie, I worry what the career landscape will look like for my son in 20 years though. I fully intend to start early with Lego Mindstorms to see if he has an aptitude to logic/coding/robotics; otherwise, we'll probably turn to Jesus.
Old 04-01-2019, 04:32 AM
Loves Tossing Salad

There's a ******* robot in the Giant food store now. Someone esplain that!!
Old 04-01-2019, 04:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by kidcool1977 View Post
So, what will the un educated worker do, whose only skill is to be a laborer/warehouse grunt? Btw, there's also forklift robots.

I wouldn't fixing these machines when they need maintenance. Yet, I am not in the mood for more schooling.
We are currently in the process of testing something....thats all I can say .

I can also say that its very hard to automate jobs that require the dexterity of humans so it will be awhile. Things like material handling an trucking though, they are gonna be hurting soon. And I really look foward to automated trucking because they can drive 24hrs which means they'll be probably less semi traffic during the day and more during the night to help with congestion.
Old 04-01-2019, 04:39 AM
C-A-P-S CAPS CAPS CAPS

Nope. I actually try to automate as much as possible.
Old 04-01-2019, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rico91stang View Post
not only this, but automation doesn't care if youre a shitty worker or the best at your job. machines will take both.
Old 04-01-2019, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yes, my job (network engineering) will be automated away in no more than 20 years.
humans that understand the way the system works will still be needed, but in MUCH smaller numbers.

also - I think a lot of the automation currently being made is going after the lower skilled jobs (truck driving, retail, food prep), but the problem is those jobs make up a huge portion of the entry level jobs (not truck driving, though that is good money with no degree needed).
imo, the problem lies in who benefits from all of these robots doing jobs humans used to. if all the money saved just goes to a few CEOs, then I don't think that americans will stand around allow their jobs to be 'taken by robots".

on the other hand- I remember when I was told that by the early 2000s we would all be flying cars.
I think the full automation crowd assumes somethings that aren't currently in place (though are moving that direction). things like 5g will be a huge step in automation.

last week I went onto a army base. in the past there would have been 4 gate guards there checking IDs. now, they have automated ID scanners and a lift gate that allows you through. there is still 1 gate guard there to check on things if theres an issue.
Old 04-01-2019, 07:55 AM
SHAME ON YOU REBECCA!

Originally Posted by LightningTeg View Post

I can also say that its very hard to automate jobs that require the dexterity of humans so it will be awhile. Things like material handling an trucking though, they are gonna be hurting soon. And I really look foward to automated trucking because they can drive 24hrs which means they'll be probably less semi traffic during the day and more during the night to help with congestion.
20 years or less for this to be in full effect (trucking)?

Old 04-01-2019, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Platinum Member

Network engineer here as well. Already seeing automation and downsizing here.

I'll most likely get into sales with an oem or do consulting for OSP or wireless unless I land something else. Somebody still has to have expertise on these commercial boxes.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LightningTeg View Post

Material handling really depends on the material though. I spent some time in a regional warehouse for a laminate manufacturer - 100+ patterns, 3 different thicknesses, 12 different sizes per thickness, plus a regular rotation of special order sizes etc. Job function is basically to drive a forklift with 8',10', or 12' pallet, work with material based on pack/pull lists, and try not to break anything.
Could you automate this? Absolutely, it's all spec sizes on mappable rack bays. Is it cost effective in an area where you can pay a warehouse worker 10 bucks an hour with mediocre benefits, and easily fill positions because it's a consistent schedule and it isn't McDonalds? Ha. Haha. The up-front cost guarantees this company won't do it until they're absolutely sure it will pay for itself in fairly short order. In fact I'll predict that if the operating cost goes up too much they'll just pack up and move farther into the sticks. All they really need is to be adjacent to some interstates and an available workforce of semi-able bodies who can read past 5 characters and count to 20.

TLDR: Automation's threat is still highly dependent on industry and location even in lower-paying jobs.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:31 AM
Pork is NOT a verb!

I am the one who automates /heisenberg

No scare. Have been transitioning to a software development role for a while now because doing things manually sucks.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

50 years ago the idea of automation would have made people opine about the benefits of jobs becoming automated so people didn't have to work anymore. Now it's being used by capitalism to force a race to the bottom for the working class while the top benefits from "leaner payroll costs."

Spare me the "but who will maintain the systems?!" bullshit.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by scelestus View Post
Material handling really depends on the material though. I spent some time in a regional warehouse for a laminate manufacturer - 100+ patterns, 3 different thicknesses, 12 different sizes per thickness, plus a regular rotation of special order sizes etc. Job function is basically to drive a forklift with 8',10', or 12' pallet, work with material based on pack/pull lists, and try not to break anything.
Could you automate this? Absolutely, it's all spec sizes on mappable rack bays. Is it cost effective in an area where you can pay a warehouse worker 10 bucks an hour with mediocre benefits, and easily fill positions because it's a consistent schedule and it isn't McDonalds? Ha. Haha. The up-front cost guarantees this company won't do it until they're absolutely sure it will pay for itself in fairly short order. In fact I'll predict that if the operating cost goes up too much they'll just pack up and move farther into the sticks. All they really need is to be adjacent to some interstates and an available workforce of semi-able bodies who can read past 5 characters and count to 20.

TLDR: Automation's threat is still highly dependent on industry and location even in lower-paying jobs.
Agree, but, once that worker gets injured moving something too heavy by himself like an idiot and has years of physical therapy for his back that automation will pay for itself quickly.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by malix View Post
I am the one who automates /heisenberg

No scare. Have been transitioning to a software development role for a while now because doing things manually sucks.
ive see a few people say automation is what they do. care to explain a it more? seems like a pretty broad field.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tron_ View Post
50 years ago the idea of automation would have made people opine about the benefits of jobs becoming automated so people didn't have to work anymore. Now it's being used by capitalism to force a race to the bottom for the working class while the top benefits from "leaner payroll costs."

Spare me the "but who will maintain the systems?!" bullshit.
Aka why UBI needs to have a serious discussion.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Official automation thread: Is your job at risk?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.